Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

Good Evening, Annie Laurie Starr -- Yes! Now I see the entire kilt-guy thing. Minya must adore Hot Rod.

Remember when I said 'Go to the devil" was one of my favorite phrases?

Yes. And that's a phrase I'm very familiar with.

I find that there is no bad time to eat cereal.

You're weird! I bet you wish to lick the face of a kilted Nick Cave.

Have you traveled much outside of Pennsylvania? I mean this in a sincere curious way, not a "I'm trying to bait you" way since I know that's what you'll think.

Bait away, Rio.

Not really. I'm far too boring and unadventurous. Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington DC, and Rehoboth Beach is the most travely I have been. I've never been on an airplane.

My entire family is located in Harrisburg. I'm very much a homeboy.

I've heard the chili is good in Seattle. :)

I will get the variety packs off and on that have Cocoa Krispies.

Weird.

Yes, you are. It's all the backroom talks about. :P

I do that-I don't like having big boxes of the sweet stuff around (exceptions being Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch and the occasional free thing-my most recent acquisition being a light up Indiana Jones spoon. It goes with my Shrek cereal bowl) so when I get a craving I get one of those six pack thingys of cereal.

I must admit, I like that you enjoy the free toys in cereal boxes. So do you fight your kids over the toy? :P :p

*I bet you wish to lick the face of a kilted Nick Cave*

Cold shower time!!

*I've never been on an airplane.*

???? Really? That's unusual. It's not like I'm amazingly well traveled either. I was born in Washington and have lived in Seattle most of my life, with short stints in Tacoma and Bellingham. I've also lived in San Francisco (beautiful but too expensive) and Los Angeles (kind of what I imagine living in Hell would be like. All apologies to Kyle and any other Angelenos-this was just my personal experience). I've been to upstate New York, but never New York City. I've been to Canada many a time but never Mexico and next year will be the first time I've ever been to Europe. I'm not excited about being on a plane for fourteen hours. I hate flying.

*My entire family is located in Harrisburg. I'm very much a homeboy.*

That's very cool and you are very fortunate. I envy you.

*I've heard the chili is good in Seattle.*

:)

*So do you fight your kids over the toy?*

Quiet, you!

*"You're evil! (A) messed up "Young and Innocent" poster?" - FrankGrimes

Hey. Someone had to put this thread back on the tracks. It was all too "Rodney King" lately. Though I might have a pristine image around here if I look hard enough.

But I have already posted *Suspicion* this month. And then there was that *Postman* poster over the weekend you seemed to enjoy so (too?) much. I just couldn't put up another of Frank's faves. As the original author of this thread, I do feel some sort of responsiblity to keeping it "on topic".

And just so you know, if *Young And Innocent* appears in that other thread, it's there for 'tobitz'. On second thought, maybe I'll just email it to him.

Kyle (wonder if 'tobitz' likes *Secret Beyond The Door* ?) In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk

Hi there, Trashy -- I've never been on an airplane.

???? Really? That's unusual.

I'm a very unusual guy. I'm very insulated and I prefer a small world to a large one, although my thinking is that of a large one and not a small one. Liberal with my thinking, conservative with my being.

It's not like I'm amazingly well traveled either. I was born in Washington and have lived in Seattle most of my life, with short stints in Tacoma and Bellingham. I've also lived in San Francisco (beautiful but too expensive) and Los Angeles (kind of what I imagine living in Hell would be like. All apologies to Kyle and any other Angelenos-this was just my personal experience). I've been to upstate New York, but never New York City. I've been to Canada many a time but never Mexico and next year will be the first time I've ever been to Europe. I'm not excited about being on a plane for fourteen hours. I hate flying.

And Vegas! I'd say you've done a pretty good amount of traveling, Little Red Riding Hood. But what the hey do I know about travelin'? Nones.

My entire family is located in Harrisburg. I'm very much a homeboy.

That's very cool and you are very fortunate. I envy you.

I do know how lucky I am to have my entire family all around me. Everyone in my family gets along with each other. It's a huge reason why my family has remained local. That's "local," not "loco." But in my case...

I've heard the chili is good in Seattle.

:)

I've also heard the dames are bad... which is very good. :)

So do you fight your kids over the toy?

Quiet, you!

:D Thanks, Miss Peabody.

What's up, SoKyle? -- "You're evil! (A) messed up "Young and Innocent" poster?" - FrankGrimes

Hey. Someone had to put this thread back on the tracks. It was all too "Rodney King" lately. Though I might have a pristine image around here if I look hard enough.

Are you kidding? Bronxie has been torturing the heck out of me. She's a sneaky one. Do you think she's been in the Tuscan sun too long?

But I have already posted Suspicion this month. And then there was that Postman poster over the weekend you seemed to enjoy so (too?) much. I just couldn't put up another of Frank's faves. As the original author of this thread, I do feel some sort of responsiblity to keeping it "on topic".

I LOVED the poster for The Postman Always Rings Twice. That was one of the best you have posted. Such art! :)

Your posters have been spot on this month, thank goodness. You practically destroyed me earlier in the year when every single day you posted a Ford or Coop poster. There's nothing more tortuous than that. Okay, there is. Having to listen to the Coop Girls go on and on about Coop is the worst torture of them all. Thank goodness Bronxie and Minya don't do such things. Sanctuary!

And just so you know, if Young And Innocent appears in that other thread, it's there for 'tobitz'. On second thought, maybe I'll just email it to him.

Well, Tobitz deserves the kindness because he was the one who rescued the "Gloria Grahame" thread. He's worthy of some treats, not torture.

wonder if 'tobitz' likes Secret Beyond The Door ?

Now that's torture! Ohhh, to see Secret Beyond the Door.

Cocoa Pebbles are better than the Cocoa Krispies. I've been to Harrisburg though not recently but it seemed like a nice place.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like sauces or spices. Eating out can be a real problem for me as it seems as if restaurants try to outdo each other with all those "special" things on their meals. BTW, who passed a law that all glasses of water must now have a lemon. If I wanted lemonade (which I don't)..... I'm much to plain with food for my Italian cooking wife.

If you find yourself Baltimore way let me know and the Cocoa Pebbles are on me.

Howdy, Cowboy Chris! -- Cocoa Pebbles are better than the Cocoa Krispies.

I'm with ya.

I've been to Harrisburg though not recently but it seemed like a nice place.

It's all I really know, so it's very comfortable to me. It's a very suburban kind of city. I also like that Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington DC, New York, and the beaches are all within driving distance.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like sauces or spices.

I'm so very basic when it comes to food. The simpler, the better with me. I'm of the belief that if something tastes good, it's unnecessary to add much to it. I'm very much in the minority with this thinking, though.

I also don't like the mixing of foods. Casseroles are out with me.

Eating out can be a real problem for me as it seems as if restaurants try to outdo each other with all those "special" things on their meals.

That's usually my experience. Fancy restaurants and I just don't mix because you just cannot get something basic there. All meats are covered in some sort of sauce that I'm not too keen on. The traditional "meat and potatoes" is becoming harder and harder to find. The best bet for me is diner food.

BTW, who passed a law that all glasses of water must now have a lemon. If I wanted lemonade (which I don't)

I can't drink lemon-flavored water. Blah! I love lemonade, but not lemon-flavored water. What's wrong with straight water?

I'm much to plain with food for my Italian cooking wife.

So how have you made it work?

I actually like Italian food... IF the sauce is runny more so than thick. I don't like onions or tomato chunks in the sauce, though. That's when I'm done. Yes, I'm that picky. Of course, the best Italian sauces are usually thick and contain onions and tomato chunks.

It doesn't take much to please me, it's just finding the foods to do so. I'm pretty much steak, ham and green beans, pork and sauerkraut, turkey, and chicken. That's my limited sphere.

If you find yourself Baltimore way let me know and the Cocoa Pebbles are on me.

Thanks, Chris. I know you mean that, too. I've been to Camden Yards and old Memorial Stadium. I've also been to Frederick to see the Keys play. I still love Camden Yards and Inner Harbor.

We've (or more correctly she) managed to make it work because I married a wonderful woman. She manages not to load all the Italian stuff with garlic so that works. With the meats she doesn't treat one or two pieces with whatever she is using. I'm not a vegetable fan except for a few things in salads but I can handle casseroles. I like breakfast no matter the time of day.

It did take a while for her to realize that we didn't like the same food. I hate mushrooms but for the first few years I always got them with my steak, even when she had to finish them. She's been very good about it. She's very patient. She must be, we've been married 24 years.

Someone sent me a PM with a wonderful poster from *Young and Innocent*

I really need to thank that guy sometime! :)

I'm afraid I was blissfully ignorant of *Secret Beyond the Door...* until now. My life will never be the same. I was just attempting to watch Ulmer's *Tomorrow We Live* (it has to be the print that's this murky) which reminded me of Ulmer's *Bluebeard* that TCM showed awhile back. I hate coincidences like this. Now I'll never be happy until I see the Lang. What are those strange symbols on the IMDb DVD details, Arabic?

I've been enjoying the discussion of food. The Pennsylvania Dutch dovetails nicely with the Scots-Irish of *The Green Years* to cover much of my ethnic heritage. That just leaves my mother's Swiss ancestry (I'd presume Swiss food must be neutral) and all those things my Norwegian grandmother used to make that my dad loved. For that I'd recommend "Scandinavian Humor (and Other Myths)," which has a whole section on White Food. Creamed eggs on white toast, tuna and noodle casseroles, white gravy. Just thinking about it makes me want to rush out for white fish, preferably cod. I'm not sure I knew what spaghetti was until I was no longer young. What's a salad? ( The book also has a relatively serious discussion of Sweden's patron saint, Ingmar Bergman).

> Bonjour, Miss G(oop) -- So I get two scornful congrats from Davy Crockett. Thank you... I think.

>

> Jackie, Butterscotch, and Coopsy's Clarita posted sexy women photos for me, but you had to go with the homely girl, Mary Cooper. That's so like you. :P

>

"I'm different all the time." :P

Having to listen to the Coop Girls go on and on about Coop is the worst torture of them all. Thank goodness Bronxie and Minya don't do such things. Sanctuary!

Give us time! Me and Butterscotchling are working on a new potion that will

turn them into raving Gary Cooper maniacs. :P

And then this thread will truly live up to its name.

Hey there, Tobitz -- Someone sent me a PM with a wonderful poster from Young and Innocent. I really need to thank that guy sometime!

Ohhhhh, let me thank him for you. He could use a good thanking.

I'm afraid I was blissfully ignorant of Secret Beyond the Door... until now.

Ahhhh, yes, "blissfully ignorant." The term conjures up icy images of a Goddess.

I was just attempting to watch Ulmer's Tomorrow We Live (it has to be the print that's this murky) which reminded me of Ulmer's Bluebeard that TCM showed awhile back. I hate coincidences like this. Now I'll never be happy until I see the Lang.

Secret Beyond the Door was screened in SoKyle this Spring, so I'm hoping a DVD is not far behind. I taped Tomorrow We Live. I really need to catch up on some Ulmer.

What are those strange symbols on the IMDb DVD details, Arabic?

I'll have to check that out.

I've been enjoying the discussion of food. The Pennsylvania Dutch dovetails nicely with the Scots-Irish of The Green Years to cover much of my ethnic heritage. That just leaves my mother's Swiss ancestry (I'd presume Swiss food must be neutral) and all those things my Norwegian grandmother used to make that my dad loved. For that I'd recommend "Scandinavian Humor (and Other Myths)," which has a whole section on White Food. Creamed eggs on white toast, tuna and noodle casseroles, white gravy. Just thinking about it makes me want to rush out for white fish, preferably cod. I'm not sure I knew what spaghetti was until I was no longer young. What's a salad? ( The book also has a relatively serious discussion of Sweden's patron saint, Ingmar Bergman).

I loved reading that, Tobitz. I enjoy hearing about the foods of the different ancestries. Would I try those foods? Of course not! I'm not into milk-based stuff.

Good morning, Movieman -- We've (or more correctly she) managed to make it work because I married a wonderful woman.

;)

She manages not to load all the Italian stuff with garlic so that works. With the meats she doesn't treat one or two pieces with whatever she is using.

That's definitely the way to go, and something that is manageable.

I'm not a vegetable fan except for a few things in salads but I can handle casseroles.

This is where it can get tricky. If you're not big on veggies yet she is, it can be a headache.

I like breakfast no matter the time of day.

I'm now this way, too.

It did take a while for her to realize that we didn't like the same food. I hate mushrooms but for the first few years I always got them with my steak, even when she had to finish them.

That made me laugh. I don't like forcing others to eat things they don't like. This all stems from my mom making me eat foods I hated, such as milk potatoes and peas. She still teases me about those days because I'd attempt to hide the food I didn't like in my napkin or on the plate. Yes, on the plate.

She's been very good about it. She's very patient. She must be, we've been married 24 years.

24 years? With you? I'd say she's extremely patient. :P Actually, of all the people on this board, I'd say you are one of the most patient and even-tempered. Congrats on your loving marriage. Your wife MUST be an angel. And I know you will agree. Kindness and a loving patience go a long, long way. Now pardon me while I angrily speak to Miss G in a hatefully impatient short way.

Bad morning, Wicked Witch of the Northeast -- Having to listen to the Coop Girls go on and on about Coop is the worst torture of them all. Thank goodness Bronxie and Minya don't do such things. Sanctuary!

Give us time! Me and Butterscotchling are working on a new potion that will turn them into raving Gary Cooper maniacs.

Bronxie and Minya are already raving lunatics, but I don't think Mary Cooper is going to enter the equation. They've got some taste, after all.

And then this thread will truly live up to its name.

Whenever you are around, it always does.

"I'm different all the time."

Yes, different as in snippy. :P:P

dontbothertoknock1.jpg

*She still teases me about those days because I'd attempt to hide the food I didn't like in my napkin or on the plate. Yes, on the plate.*

You should have done what my best friend in elementary school did. Hide the foods you don?t like around the kitchen. One day her mom found a dried up piece of liver behind one of her kitchen knick-knacks and she was too tickled to punish her for it.

I was a very finicky eater as a child but thankfully my mom never cooked gross stuff like liver or funky stuff like that that most kids don?t like. I just didn?t need very much food to keep going so I?d eat a little bit and be full. My mom would make me sit at the table until I finished it but I usually wouldn?t give in (I?ve always been pretty stubborn) so eventually she?d let me get up. Well on one of those days I got thirsty a little while after supper and asked for some chocolate milk. I discovered how filling it was so if I would get hungry after supper and I hadn?t eaten all my food, I would just ask for some chocolate milk and that always hit the spot. Later when I was grown I told my mom about that and she just cracked up!! I would have been around 4-6 years old then and she was surprised at how sneaky I was.

That made me laugh. I don't like forcing others to eat things they don't like. This all stems from my mom making me eat foods I hated, such as milk potatoes and peas. She still teases me about those days because I'd attempt to hide the food I didn't like in my napkin or on the plate. *Yes, on the plate.*

Hmmmm. My first plan of attack was to feed anything I didn't like (usually green beans-I detest green beans) to the dog. Then, when my mother got hip to that I would make sure I had a baggie in my front pocket and I would shove the green beans in there and throw it away later.

Luckily, my sister and I both benefitted from out parents having to eat stuff they hated so they never forced us to eat liver or tongue or anything. There was a tense period of trying to make me eat fish, but I won out eventually.

I bet you wish to lick the face of a kilted Nick Cave

Ohhhh........ wow. excuse me while I stand in the refrigerator door to cool off........I'm never gonna get that image out of my mind.....

What is the matter with you people? Cocoa Puffs and Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries are the best sugary cereals! Sheesh.

I once sat at the table till ten o'clock to avoid eating liver. Usually, when my dad got exasperated and left the table to go finish reading the paper, my mom would wait a decent amount of time and then yell from the kitchen, "She ate it!" all the while scraping the offending entree into the garbage......It was much easier with peas- I would move them around on the plate, making a hole so it LOOKED like I had eaten some (I'm not sure this actually worked).

So Frank, if you are such a bland eater, why do insist on the spiciest tamales where women are concerned?

*Ohhhh........ wow. excuse me while I stand in the refrigerator door to cool off........I'm never gonna get that image out of my mind.....*

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. :)

*I once sat at the table till ten o'clock to avoid eating liver.*

This made me totally bust up!!! :)

Heeey, Frankie G! It?s da princess checking in to do some major torture to the incorrigible badboy of the TCM boards. I?ve been out of the good ole US of A for quite a while,living with my eye-talian boy toy, Antonio in Roma, located somewhere in Italy?where men are men and us gals love it.. We?re in NYC just for the day to take care of some business before flying back tonight. He won?t let me use the computer?he demands my full attention! How like a spoilt, Italian boy! Ah, L'amour, L'amour! We?re moving to Morocco in fall for several months?where men are men and all the other men love it--but I hope to be home in Manhattan in time for Halloween and then I?ll torture you most deliciously?as only a 3,000 year-old daughter of the Pharoah can do! Tell me your favorite tortures: whips, chains, steel needles, talk about recipes, food, sports, Gary Cooper, etc. Kharis is preparing himself for the big Halloween holiday and if your gal pals get out of hand, he knows what to do?just drop?em off in the bog! (?No, Kharis, don?t look at me like that?I?m not two-timing you, I?ekkkkkk!) Until Halloween, don?t forget?

The Princess

Hi MissG: I did not like this movie the first time I saw it. For a long time I had a preconceived notion that Marilyn's earlier dramatic attempts were not very good and that it was only after her Actor's Studio experience that she able to do anything worthwhile, dramatically. She's always had a natural flair for comedy. But after viewing it again within the last two or three years I have a totally different take. She is very good and almost heartbreaking to watch because she seems to be, in some ways, the real Marilyn. The look on her face in your screencap is unforgettable. She looks like this practically the whole film and it takes a toll on me. Her last scene is especially well acted. Anyway, so much for preconceived notions.

You are wonderfully flexible in your opinions, for a pirate! ;) I have had the same experience

with a few movies and performances---coming to appreciate what I had previously dismissed.

You described her performance perfectly and its effect on me, too. She is crazy but she's

so vulnerable you can't help but be touched. Anne Bancroft, when asked about working with

her, would tell how the whole cast was deeply moved during filming of that last scene making

their reactions to her totally real.

*You are wonderfully flexible in your opinions, for a pirate! ;)*

After you've walked the plank a few times, you tend to loosen up a bit ;)

I feel sheepish in saying that Don't Bother To Knock conjures up the "real Marilyn." I'm sure that's been said so many times before. In fact, it should go down as a full-blown cliche by now.

I feel sheepish in saying that Don't Bother To Knock conjures up the "real Marilyn." I'm sure that's been said so many times before. In fact, it should go down as a full-blown cliche by now.

Compassion does often sound cliche, but I wouldn't bother about that, Lafitte. (Just

don't let the other pirates hear you)

Can't Get Enough of that Sugar B! -- You should have done what my best friend in elementary school did. Hide the foods you don?t like around the kitchen. One day her mom found a dried up piece of liver behind one of her kitchen knick-knacks and she was too tickled to punish her for it.

Your friend just got a laugh from me. I couldn't play that game with my mom sitting close by.

I was a very finicky eater as a child but thankfully my mom never cooked gross stuff like liver or funky stuff like that that most kids don?t like. I just didn?t need very much food to keep going so I?d eat a little bit and be full.

My cousin's daughter is similar to how you were. She doesn't eat that much unless it's something she absolutely loves, like pancakes and bacon. Her parents don't jam their tastes down her throat.

My mom would make me sit at the table until I finished it but I usually wouldn?t give in (I?ve always been pretty stubborn) so eventually she?d let me get up.

Ohhh, that game didn't work with my mom. Not to mention, I wanted to go out and play in the neighborhood with my friends, so she had me.

Well on one of those days I got thirsty a little while after supper and asked for some chocolate milk. I discovered how filling it was so if I would get hungry after supper and I hadn?t eaten all my food, I would just ask for some chocolate milk and that always hit the spot. Later when I was grown I told my mom about that and she just cracked up!! I would have been around 4-6 years old then and she was surprised at how sneaky I was.

:D I'm not surprised by how sneaky you are. I hope ButtersneakGreer reads this.

Good Evening, Rio -- Hmmmm. My first plan of attack was to feed anything I didn't like (usually green beans-I detest green beans) to the dog. Then, when my mother got hip to that I would make sure I had a baggie in my front pocket and I would shove the green beans in there and throw it away later.

We had a doggie, a cockapoo named Benji :) , and I did sneak him some of the yuck, but I couldn't give it all to him. The baggie idea is forward-thinking. I was too dumb to come up with something that genius.

Luckily, my sister and I both benefitted from out parents having to eat stuff they hated so they never forced us to eat liver or tongue or anything. There was a tense period of trying to make me eat fish, but I won out eventually.

My mom made food she liked. My dad hated milk potatoes, too. I have since learned that my mom was a very picky eater as a child and her parents made her and her siblings drink something like castor oil (I always think of Tom & Jerry :) ) if she didn't clean her plate. You would have thought she'd be sympathetic to the cause, but nope. It was her turn to dish out the pain. And the dish was sometimes painfully blechy!

Howdy, JackieF -- What is the matter with you people? Cocoa Puffs and Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries are the best sugary cereals! Sheesh.

Cookie Crisp! I do like Crunchberries, though.

I once sat at the table till ten o'clock to avoid eating liver. Usually, when my dad got exasperated and left the table to go finish reading the paper, my mom would wait a decent amount of time and then yell from the kitchen, "She ate it!" all the while scraping the offending entree into the garbage.

I love that story! Mom's got your stomach.

It was much easier with peas- I would move them around on the plate, making a hole so it LOOKED like I had eaten some (I'm not sure this actually worked).

You got it! That's what I meant by "hiding" food on my plate. I would create a void in food like peas to make it look as if I ate some. Sleight of plate. I'd also save a little of another food, most preferably mashed potatoes, and then bury peas beneath it. Needless to say, my magic tricks did not fool mom. There I sat.

So Frank, if you are such a bland eater, why do insist on the spiciest tamales where women are concerned?

I like characters that contrast my own personality and sensibilities. This is why I find dark and/or bad characters to be far more fascinating than good ones. The bad girls are the most fun to watch. But I don't wish to be with them. I'd want to be with a good, silly girl who is sneaky bad.

Bonjour, Bad Girl -- Ooooh, don't tell me you got little Blondle's Don't Bother to Knock...now I can't make fun of you anymore...today. It's one of top 5 favorite Marilyn performances.

No, no, no. I got that screencap from DVD Beaver. You can continue to make fun of me. So do you actually like Marilyn Monroe? That comes as a serious shock to me. Let's see, we've got Marilyn, Gable, Coop... do you like any performers who can actually act? :P :p

Ciao, Princess Ananka! -- "Princess, torture, Halloween, Rome, Morocco, whips." Somebody is in a very, very, very good and naughty mood. Antonio must be treating you well. I'm glad to hear it! Welcome back! It's always so wonderful to see you in your nightgown.

He won?t let me use the computer?he demands my full attention! How like a spoilt, Italian boy!

Smart man!

Ah, L'amour, L'amour! We?re moving to Morocco in fall for several months?where men are men and all the other men love it--but I hope to be home in Manhattan in time for Halloween and then I?ll torture you most deliciously?as only a 3,000 year-old daughter of the Pharoah can do!

What a wonderful tease you are!

Tell me your favorite tortures: whips, chains, steel needles, talk about recipes, food, sports, Gary Cooper, etc.

Hey, you've actually kept up. Now that's impressive. Ohhhhhh, Gary Cooper (whip) and John Ford (chain) are at the tippy-top of my torture list. ;) Bronxie's got the needles market covered. Hers are very sharp. I'm not sure about the recipes. Minya may be the one there, although I know a culinary cutie who ain't too shabby. I'll leave the sports conversation for the tea parties. I know it's oh so popular there. :)

Kharis is preparing himself for the big Halloween holiday and if your gal pals get out of hand, he knows what to do?just drop?em off in the bog! (?No, Kharis, don?t look at me like that?I?m not two-timing you, I?ekkkkkk!)

There are a few who need to be dumped in the bog right quick. I think one actually applies bog to her face before bed. :P

Until Halloween, don?t forget?The Princess

Until your next midnight stroll. Ciao!

mummysghost1.jpg