Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

It's one of top 5 favorite Marilyn performances.

What are the others? I know my absolute fave is How to Marry a Millionaire... she is hysterical to me with her short sighted stare......All she has to do is walk into the room and I crack up.

*She doesn't eat that much unless it's something she absolutely loves, like pancakes and bacon.*

I can't imagine that you'd have to twist anybody's arm too hard for that. Although I much prefer french toast or waffles.

*The baggie idea is forward-thinking. I was too dumb to come up with something that genius.*

Unfortunately, my mother figured that one out too after a while. I then moved to shoving a bunch of green beans in my mouth and then going into the bathroom and spitting them out in the toilet and flushing the evidence away. Then after about three trips in one sitting I had to give up the ghost on that scheme too. Soon she got tired of all the food that was being wasted and we cut a deal-she would give me fewer green beans and I would eat the smaller portion. :)

I probably should expound on that. In the middle of the Gable search, I was distracted by Miss G's James Coburn dream. Since I''ve been thinking of Coburn a lot lately (hopefully not in the same way as Miss G does), I clicked on the link to this thread, which led me to Gumby.

I'm picturing a fedora-topped Grimes in best Bogie, maybe Charles McGraw mode, ordering a couple double shots at some dark smoky bar just as he looks up and sees Pokey setting them up. In a great fit of pookah-fear inspired paranoia, Frank falls headlong into The Lost Weekend. Who knows where this could lead?

I kid people that the only green thing I eat are green M&Ms. My mother was good about not making me eat stuff I didn't like. She asked me to try it but if I couldn't eat it that was fine.

Oddly enough my kids love vegetables and not chocolate. At times I wonder if they are mine but only for a minute. I know they are, I think.

Waffles and pancakes are like Italians and pasta. Same stuff different names. The preparation is different. I tease my wife that a noodle is a noodle is a noodle no matter the elegant name they call it.

I'm getting hungry. M&Ms anyone?

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> It's one of top 5 favorite Marilyn performances.

>

> What are the others? I know my absolute fave is How to Marry a Millionaire... she is hysterical to me with her short sighted stare......All she has to do is walk into the room and I crack up.

Hi Jackie! I love HTMAM and agree MM is too funny for words---I love how she pretends to

be reading a book on the plane (without her glasses), only it's upside down. Some books

actually would read better that way I expect. :P

The first one is the only one in order of preference, the others I enjoy pretty much equally.

The only one I hesitated about is Bus Stop. I adore her "Cherie" and I even understudied

the part in a community theater---it's a cute role. But, Don Murray ruins the movie so

much for me that I had to leave it off.

1. The Misfits

2. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

3. Don't Bother to Knock

4. Let's Make Love

5. How to Marry a Millionaire

I also like her in Niagara. :)

_Jackie_, I wanted to add about Marilyn that my least favorite of her

performances is in *Some Like it Hot*. It's a pretty good comedy,

not a favorite though by a long shot and I think she is not used to

her best advantage as Sugar Kane, though she brings her unmistakable

sensuality and sadness to the part. But it's still a fluff of a part and

except for the wonderful little tunes she sings, not one that shows off

the Marilyn "magic" to me.

I like Niagara because its so lowdown! It is a lot of fun to watch, and has that great scene where she just walks away for an endless amount of time.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is great, and I would agree with Laffite about Don't Bother to Knock- rather heart-wrenching.

Hello my little crablette baby boy....oy....my stomach....

I'm recovering from a meal I had at a chain restaurant with "Cheese"

in it's name, that's all I'll say. Maybe you know it. I only had one

meal there years ago (Chinese chicken salad) and an artichoke dip that was pretty good. I went there with my Irish landlady Ashling and Fergal

her fiance. They wanted a real American dining experience.

This place is famous for their dessert. The meatloaf was recommended

as an entree, so I ordered it. It came in huge portions, plopped un-

attractively on the plate with mediocre, watery mashed potatoes (no

character at all) Some sort of feeble corn vegetable mixture was the

other accompaniment. The meatloaf looked like.....well, I can't tell

you. It tasted like old socks. A-1 steak sauce didn't improve it.

I can remember better food in my high school cafeteria. Fergal, who

thought the pasta bolognese was a safe bet, couldn't eat his at all

because apparently there was a heavy hand with the spices and we

could almost see the fire coming out of the poor boy's mouth. Ashling

very wisely ordered the filet mignon, with great-looking french fries.

She gave half her food to Fergal, because he was starving.

Then came dessert. I am a purist when it comes to their namesake

dish, and was leery of all the bells and whistles, but I thought, hell,

let me try it with chocolate and coconut. Wrong call. I couldn't taste

the flavor of the main ingredient, and the whipped cream tasted like

Cool-Whip. I couldn't finish this, which will give you some idea......

The only thing that was decent was the pina colada, which I'm em-

barrassed to say I had because I HATE THAT SONG.

I do like to eat "healthy", but not from a health store. I hate granola,

I hate the superior attitudes that certain people have who shop there;

like "I'm a vegetarian and I'm better than you". ****! The only

reason I go to Whole Foods is the White Russian cake slices. (made

with real chocolate, not that awful carob)

I won't lecture you too much about your diet, but you BETTER START

EATING GREENS, or you'll shorten your life span by about 10 minutes.

Pistachio is my favorite flavor ice cream, next to chocolate. But in that

dream it frightens me!

Frosted Mini-Wheats and Count Chocula munched out of the box

are great snacks to me. I don't like to see milk turn chocolate color

so that's why I eat CD dry.

But (believe it or not) I can't talk any more about food today. I just

burped and I tasted the meatloaf.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

How odd seeing "****" here. Having just spent the last month going through the "Cracker" series (interesting title as we've been talking food) I am reminded of their fondness for that term. It's a good strong word.

Bonus points for using a fresh term.

It seems like Billy Wilder was more interested in showing off her "other" assets. And he did that shockingly well with the filmy nothing-much-more-than-a-spritz-of-glitter dresses. Good grief! If ever there was a film that exploited her breasts, that one is it!!! I remember hearing some guy on a documentary talking about how Marilyn "taught us to have fun with sex". Sorry, but exploitation doesn't look a whole lot like fun to me.

And Bronxgirl, try a little Pepto with that meatloaf. It sounds scary!!! Maybe you should move that comment to the Horror section under the meatloaf that ate Pittsburgh!!! Sounds bilious as all heck!!!

*The only thing that was decent was the pina colada, which I'm em-*

*barrassed to say I had because I HATE THAT SONG.*

Me too, but did you know that the guy who did that song (whose names escapes me) also did the series Remember Wenn for AMC (before they went down the drain)? It was set in a radio station in Philadelphia (maybe Pittsburgh) during the war. It was a pretty fabulous though short lived series. Unfortunately due to unbelievable suckiness on the part of AMC, it is still not available on DVD.

*Pistachio is my favorite flavor ice cream, next to chocolate. But in that*

*dream it frightens me!*

I have to go with chocolate and peanut butter, unless I'm eating Ben & Jerry's and then it's Karmel Sutra, Everything but the..or Coffee Heath Toffee Crunch. I like ice cream with stuff in it.

That dress from Some Like it Hot is rather uh suggestive. Actually, it leaves nothing to the imagination, and I don't think it's flattering at all. I much prefer her black dress with the fringe at the beginning of the movie - the Runnin' Wild dress.....and the little fur stole and hat are nice too.

I am tempted to say that that suggestive dress is one of the reasons the movie is still popular today- Wilder was no fool.....

It seems like Billy Wilder was more interested in showing off her "other" assets. And he did that shockingly well with the filmy nothing-much-more-than-a-spritz-of-glitter dresses.

Credit (or blame?) for Marilyn's wardrobe actually can be given to Marilyn herself, because

she worked closely with designer Jean Louis and pushed for a "naked" look, including insisting

the front and back be cut down to 'there'. She often liked to push the envelope with her

clothing so this was nothing new. Personally, I always thought she looked much sexier in more

conservative clothing that was fitted, somewhat low cut, but not vulgar. I never cared for her

costumes in Some Like it Hot, but I can certainly see why men in the audience would feel

very different.

Of course, all this feminine "criticism" of Marilyn's revealing clothing must be REAL torture

for Mr Grimes who thinks her wardrobe was just fine. :P

_Jackie_---I do like the white stole, too. ;)

Animated-SomeLikeItHot3.gif

*I have to go with chocolate and peanut butter, unless I'm eating Ben & Jerry's and then it's Karmel Sutra, Everything but the..or Coffee Heath Toffee Crunch. I like ice cream with stuff in it.*

Hi Minya

We are kindred spirits...at least as far ice cream is concerned. If I'm going to absorb all those calories I gotta go only with I really like, and that means BenJerry with all the bells and whistles, Chubby Hubby, Phish Food, there's a couple others that escape memory right now. But HagaenD (sp) has what they call DEEP CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER that, I believe, comes out only on a season basis. I haven't seen it ages though I'm not always rummaging the ice cream bins either. Anyway it unbelievably delicious. Humongous slabs of PB with a dark chocolate. Yum!

*DEEP CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER that, I believe, comes out only on a season basis. I haven't seen it ages though I'm not always rummaging the ice cream bins either. Anyway it unbelievably delicious. Humongous slabs of PB with a dark chocolate. Yum!*

My mouth is watering. Whoever came up with that flavor combination deserves a medal and buckets of money for the genius of it. I've had people be skeptical of it, but once they try it they are converts for life. :)

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Miss G- How did you DO that! How did you make the little moving picture? That is way cool.....

I couldn't do anything like that to save my life, unfortunately! They were from a Marilyn fan website. I have lots of others! Isn't she cute?

Here's another from Some Like it Hot Toot! Toot!

Animated-SomeLikeItHot2.gif

Hi, Loving Pink Hearts Girl -- Mr. Grimes, I would love to see you replicate this scene in your Killer Klown costume.

I know you would love for me to knock some blocks off. There are quite a few on this thread who could use a swift one.

So how does a girl who loves to be hugged and kissed become so violent?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKukJq42WKk&feature=related

Hey there, Little Red Ridin' Hood -- The baggie idea is forward-thinking. I was too dumb to come up with something that genius.

Unfortunately, my mother figured that one out too after a while. I then moved to shoving a bunch of green beans in my mouth and then going into the bathroom and spitting them out in the toilet and flushing the evidence away.

You little criminal, you! Boy, you were a persistent yuck avoider.

Soon she got tired of all the food that was being wasted and we cut a deal-she would give me fewer green beans and I would eat the smaller portion.

That deal would only go so far with me.

What foods do you force your six kids to eat?

What's up, Tobitz? -- I probably should expound on that. In the middle of the Gable search, I was distracted by Miss G's James Coburn dream. Since I''ve been thinking of Coburn a lot lately (hopefully not in the same way as Miss G does), I clicked on the link to this thread, which led me to Gumby.

I'm going to have nightmares! Miss G is with Coburn, so I guess Gable and Gumby are over at Belle's talking politics with the guys, right?

I'm picturing a fedora-topped Grimes in best Bogie, maybe Charles McGraw mode, ordering a couple double shots at some dark smoky bar just as he looks up and sees Pokey setting them up. In a great fit of pookah-fear inspired paranoia, Frank falls headlong into The Lost Weekend. Who knows where this could lead?

A dead end... like usual.

Howdy, Cowboy Chris -- I kid people that the only green thing I eat are green M&Ms.

I like it! I may have to steal that one.

By the way, not only am I a very picky eater, I'm also the slowest eater in the world. Everyone finishes eating before me. I'll be halfway through a meal while others are ordering dessert.

My mother was good about not making me eat stuff I didn't like. She asked me to try it but if I couldn't eat it that was fine.

Lucky you.

Oddly enough my kids love vegetables and not chocolate.

Lucky them.

At times I wonder if they are mine but only for a minute. I know they are, I think.

:D I love your certainty.

Waffles and pancakes are like Italians and pasta. Same stuff different names. The preparation is different. I tease my wife that a noodle is a noodle is a noodle no matter the elegant name they call it.

I'm with you on that one. It's all the same to me, too.

I'm getting hungry. M&Ms anyone?

Gladly!

Bonjour, Miss G -- Of course, all this feminine "criticism" of Marilyn's revealing clothing must be REAL torture for Mr Grimes who thinks her wardrobe was just fine. :P

When don't women criticism other women?

And I have no idea what outfit you are speaking of since I have never seen Some Like it Hot. How about some vulgar, I mean, visual aid?

Tr?thn?na maith, Lady McB -- Hello my little crablette baby boy....oy....my stomach....

Ahhh, my effect on you is finally setting in.

I'm recovering from a meal I had at a chain restaurant with "Cheese" in it's name, that's all I'll say. Maybe you know it.

Chuck E. Cheese?

I only had one meal there years ago (Chinese chicken salad) and an artichoke dip that was pretty good. I went there with my Irish landlady Ashling and Fergal her fiance. They wanted a real American dining experience.

It has to be Chuck E. Cheese's since there's nothing more American than that. Did the animals serenade the couple in love?

Ashling very wisely ordered the filet mignon, with great-looking french fries.

She gave half her food to Fergal, because he was starving.

That's what I would have gone with. I'm speaking of the filet mignon not the mignon filly.

Then came dessert. I am a purist when it comes to their namesake

dish, and was leery of all the bells and whistles, but I thought, hell,

let me try it with chocolate and coconut. Wrong call. I couldn't taste

the flavor of the main ingredient, and the whipped cream tasted like

Cool-Whip. I couldn't finish this, which will give you some idea......

Coconut is a no-go with me. I love Cool Whip!

The only thing that was decent was the pina colada, which I'm em-

barrassed to say I had because I HATE THAT SONG.

You can have mine. I like Rupert Holmes and THAT SONG, though.

I won't lecture you too much about your diet, but you BETTER START

EATING GREENS, or you'll shorten your life span by about 10 minutes.

:D I actually would love to eat healthy, it's just that I cannot get myself to do it.

Pistachio is my favorite flavor ice cream, next to chocolate.

Oh yeah? Does Carvel have pistachio?

But in that dream it frightens me!

Why? You'd think eating one of your favorite dishes of ice cream while getting your hair done would be a pleasant female experience. Are there old women with a grandfather clock watching you or something?

Frosted Mini-Wheats and Count Chocula munched out of the box are great snacks to me.

Cereal is too dry for me to eat out of the box.

I don't like to see milk turn chocolate color so that's why I eat CD dry.

You're weirer than Minya! No, wait. That's unpossible.

I have been planning to start a Marilyn thread of my own here in "Favorites" soon, and I promise

I'll include as many of the little animation .gif's I can.

Because you see, I'm sure Mr Grimes is just sick to death of seeing pictures of her. ;)

Miss G., didn't Marilyn herself suggest to Billy the "toot toot" scene?

If so, she certainly had briliiant comic instincts, as this made Sugar seem simutaneously sensual, vulnerable, and funny, all at the same time.