Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

Pickup on South Street / Scarlet Street (two of them) / The 39 Steps / Strangers on a Train / The Wrong Man / Kiss the Blood Off My Hands / The Blue Gardenia / The Big Heat or Human Desire / Journey Into Fear / Hell's Half Acre / The Night of the Hunter / Diabolique / Raw Deal / Fallen Angel / The Third Man / Vertigo

Wow. You certainly do know "Your Favorites". You probably shouldn't know the others just from the images posted - but I would hope you would know WHO the "blonde girl" in '02' is

Kyle In Hollywood

*Well guts or lack of brains: same difference – ha!* - coopsgirl

Wow. Seems the "Ghost in the Machine" is now "pixilated" too!

torture21

torture22

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk

You are bad, Kyle. How could you take advantage of such a kind, trusting, loving soul? I'd never do such a thing to another. :D:P

*"You are bad, Kyle. How could you take advantage of such a kind, trusting, loving soul? I'd never do such a thing to another."*

Is that a halo you're trying to put over you're head? 'Cause from here it looks more like a noose.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"I think those cropped posters look so cool! They would make a fabulous collage!"* - MissGoddess

I hope you two work on that. I'd love to see what you guys come up with.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey FrankGrimes!

Is this a "big deal"?

From the LATimes 10April, 2008

http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/theguide/la-gd-movies10apr10,1,5290364,print.story

*City of Lights, City of Angels is a French film fest with a common touch*

Excerpt-

"The seven-day Francophilic event includes 27 features, 20 shorts and the April 18 world premiere of the restored 1948 Fritz Lang film noir "Secret Beyond the Door", which was partly funded by the Franco American Cultural Fund."

-------------

From the "City Of Lights / City Of Angels" Festival website -

http://www.colcoa.org/

*SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR*

World Premiere of the restored film Film Noir/Thriller

United States, 1948

In English

35mm/ 1.37:1/Black & White/Mono Sound/99 min

Directed by: Fritz Lang

Written by: Silvia Richards

Based on a story by: Rufus King

Cinematography: Stanley Cortez

Editor: Arthur Hilton

Music: Mikl?s R?zsa

Produced by: Fritz Lang

Production Company: Diana Productions

With: Joan Bennett (Celia Lamphere), Michael Redgrave (Mark Lamphere), Ann Revere (Caroline Lamphere), Barbara O'Neil (Miss Robey), Natalie Schafer (Edith Potter)

Fritz Lang revisits the French fairy tale of Bluebeard in this psychological thriller based on a story by Rufus King. Joan Bennett is Celia, a young heiress who marries a strange nobleman (Michael Redgrave) with a penchant for the macabre. As in the Bluebeard story, her husband keeps his dark secrets locked in a mysterious room, which she grows more and more curious to open while fearing he may be plotting to kill her.

*THE RESTORATION*

New polyester fine grain master positives and a new print of SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR were produced from the original nitrate picture negative, which was in good condition. Only a few replacement dupe sections had to be made from the nitrate fine grain master. Minor wear is still visible in some sequences, but wet-gate printing has eliminated most of the flaws present in the original negative. The result is a sharp print of excellent quality that showcases the black-and-white cinematography of Stanley Cortez to stunning effect. The sound was derived from the original nitrate track negative and the nitrate composite fine grain master.

Restored by the UCLA Film and Television Archive, with funding provided by The Film Foundation and the Producer of COL•COA, Franco American Cultural Fund, a partnership of the Directors Guild of America, Soci?t? des Auteurs, Compositeurs et Editeurs de Musique, the Writers Guild of America, West, and the Motion Picture Association of America.

*FRITZ LANG*

Born in Vienna in 1890, Fritz Lang is one of the great masters of cinema. His German expressionist masterpiece Metropolis (1926) and his first talking film M (1931) have influenced generations of filmmakers. Particularly influential for Jean-Luc Godard and the cin?astes of the French Nouvelle Vague, Fritz Lang agreed to appear in Godard’s Contempt. Censured by Goebbels for The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1932), he left Germany and settled in the United States in the 1930s. Secret Beyond the Door is one of over 20 films directed by Lang in Hollywood between 1936 and 1956. Lang died in Beverly Hills in 1976.

Yes, that's a very, very, very BIG deal! Thank you for posting this, Kyle! Secret Beyond the Door is THE Lang film that I wish to see most. I'm thrilled beyond belief to learn it has been restored. This gives me great hope that a DVD may soon be in the future. I hope there is a decent turnout for the restorative premiere. I'm actually very giddy right now. I may do something really foolish.

Thanks again for the good word, SoKyle. I must reply to some of the suspects on this thread later on tonight. Some need to be reprimanded. You, my friend, ain't one of them. On second thought, did you say something about me using my extra-shiny halo as a noose?

*"I'm actually very giddy right now. I may do something really foolish."* - FrankGrimes

If that means you're calling airlines about coming to LA for the April 18^th^ "premiere", just be sure NOT to book on American Airlines. If this week is any indication, you likely won't get here 'til Mother's Day.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey FrankGrimes!

Is this a "big deal"?>>

Cripes! Kyle!

You do realize that you are sending poor Frankie into shock, don't you? So many films, so far away?

Whatever will he do?

Hop a plane and come out to see the films?

Manage to spend some dining time with us Southern Californians who can show him some Noir sights. A Chandler tour, perhaps?

Decide that film noir is his life's ambition but an unattainable goal and spiral down into a vortex or booze, dames and unhappiness?

Fall prey to some Femme Fatale's idea of putting him back on top?

So many choices......

Which one will Frankie choose?

Ciao, SoKyle -- "I'm actually very giddy right now. I may do something really foolish." - FrankGrimes

If that means you're calling airlines about coming to LA for the April 18th "premiere", just be sure NOT to book on American Airlines. If this week is any indication, you likely won't get here 'til Mother's Day.

:D I'm foolish enough to fly American but not giddy enough to fly to LA.

You probably shouldn't know the others just from the images posted - but I would hope you would know WHO the "blonde girl" in '02' is.

I'm guessing it's Grace, but I really don't know by the poster.

Is that a halo you're trying to put over you're head? 'Cause from here it looks more like a noose.

It serves both purposes.

Howdy, Coop's Clarita -- You didn't throw a pot of hot coffee at wonderful Gloria did you?

Perish the thought! I could never harm that sweet angel's halo. I tossed it in Coop's face.

This is partly why he has several girls here out to get him.

Yes, Coop is the kind of guy who needs girls to fight his battles for him. :P

Kyle is honorable? Actually, I have to agree with you on that one. He's also very courageous. It takes guts to post Grace Kelly photos on the "Gary Cooper" thread.

Well guts or lack of brains: same difference ? ha!

:D You're right about that.

Hiya, Lynn -- I'm thinking you may be a suspect, Lynn, dear. I have not watched two of your film recommendations yet and I now have about 20 Ford films to watch yet they remain unwatched, including She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

Perish the thought! I would not torture you so because I want to keep you around until you finally see the films so that we can discuss them at length. To have you driven mad before that happens, what is the point?

I figured you had finally hit the breaking point and decided to off me.

I prefer you in your critical persona ready to discuss the films and what they mean to you and what they say to you. That is where the fun lies for me. How about you?

I'm very critical of some people around here and it's quite fun. Ohh, you mean film. Well, I am a very analytical person, so I do enjoy film analysis. I just need to be pushed, shoved, kicked, and dragged into such conversations sometimes. What I don't enjoy is silliness. I'm too serious for such behavior. Everything I say should be taken seriously.

I did spend a lot of time analyzing The Searchers. Did I gain any brownie points?

So what's next?

And yes, Kyle is very honorable. Probably the most honorable poster we have here next to Mongo.

Well, let's not go overboard. Kyle is sort of honorable. :D

We should all strife to be as honorable as them.

Yes, we should all strife to torture kind, loving, sweetly-innocent board members.

But, I fear, our vanities and our demons get the best of the majority of us.

Speak for yourself! My demons vainly attack me. I'm in constant control of my very serious self.

Cripes! Kyle! You do realize that you are sending poor Frankie into shock, don't you? So many films, so far away? Whatever will he do?

Hop a plane and come out to see the films?

We can cross that one off. I'm far too boring for such a thing.

Manage to spend some dining time with us Southern Californians who can show him some Noir sights. A Chandler tour, perhaps?

And a bullet in the back for good measure.

Decide that film noir is his life's ambition but an unattainable goal and spiral down into a vortex or booze, dames and unhappiness?

I'm already there... figuratively.

Fall prey to some Femme Fatale's idea of putting him back on top?

More like, "fall prey to some femme fatale's idea of poisoning him." I'm such a stubborn billygoat that I actually swallow the poison even though I'm told it's poison.

So many choices......

So many deaths.

Which one will Frankie choose?

The most painful. How many lives do cats have again?

*"I'm guessing it's Grace..."*

I'm guessing you see Grace everywhere.

I also guess you haven't seen the promo running on TCM for the DVD release for *The Major And The Minor* either.

*"Well, let's not go overboard. Kyle is sort of honorable."*

I think I was just thrown overboard.

Kyle In Hollywood

I'm guessing you see Grace everywhere.

I try.

I also guess you haven't seen the promo running on TCM for the DVD release for The Major And The Minor either.

You guess right. My attention span has been dreadful of late. I have been taping TCM more so than watching it.

"Well, let's not go overboard. Kyle is sort of honorable."

I think I was just thrown overboard.

:D That was quick. Honor dies fast. That's why my deaths are painfully slow.

Dear Frank-We-Wish-the-Cubs-Could-Play-the-Bucs-All-Season-Grimes:

Unlike many of your so-called friends, I have not participated in this sleazy little game of torturing you. I now, as a friend and compatriot, turn to you for advice.

Which one of the following classes should I take this summer at Facets Multimedia?

Ingmar Bergman: *Scenes from a Marriage* and Beyond

Watch the Skies!: Science Fiction, 1950's and Us

Ford at Fox: The Emergence of a Hollywood Master

Silent Shadows: The Films of F.W. Murnau

OH---MY---WORD!!!! I think I'm spending the summer in Chicago....

Ingmar Bergman: Scenes from a Marriage and Beyond

Silent Shadows: The Films of F.W. Murnau>>

MissG,

Why go all the way to Chicago? We can have classes on those subjects right here in our own backyard at the TCM message boards.

Anybody else want to throw in?

Let's Play One Hundred Sixty Two, ChiOuch! -- Dear

Frank-We-Wish-the-Cubs-Could-Play-the-Bucs-All-Season-Grimes:

So does every other team in the league. ;)

Unlike many of your so-called friends, I have not participated in this sleazy

little game of torturing you.

Thanks for the friendship... and the knife in my back. Friends don't torture, they

kill quick.

I now, as a friend and compatriot, turn to you for advice.

If you are turning to me for advice, you are bleeding from the head. One should

never turn to a dead man for advice.

Which one of the following classes should I take this summer at Facets Multimedia?

Silent Shadows: The Films of F.W. Murnau

Damn you! You are a lucky S.O.B.! A man with a lovely wife and lovely daughters

should not be allowed to have his film cake and eat it, too. No way. You know

darn well what my knee-jerk selection would be. I don't even have to tell you.

What I'd like to know is, how many Bergman, Ford (Fox), and Murnau films have

you seen recently (last few years)? The reason I ask is because I think you would

appreciate and gain the most from a class on the director you have seen the

least of their work featured. In terms of your personal taste, I'd surely say

Murnau. If this dead man's memory serves correctly, we both consider Murnau

to be the greatest director in cinematic history. Murnau was also very influential

on the kind of films we both like: visually dark.

I don't see you being a Sci-Fi guy, but I could be very mistaken about this since

you are someone who understands and values social and political allegories. The

best part of that class would be its emphasis on how the Cold War helped launch

the sci-fi genre in America. It's interesting how sci-fi can be viewed as both Left and

Right.

Without knowing the answers to some of my questions, I'm going to say Murnau is

definitely the class for you, but I would not put it past you choosing the Ford class.

I'd have to know what films are being shown in the Bergman class..

Hi, Lynn, dear! -- Anybody else want to throw in?

So you are down with an F.W. Murnau film class?

faust1.jpg

faust2.jpg

faust3.jpg

faust4.jpg

faust5.jpg

faust6.jpg

Hi, Lynn, dear! -- Anybody else want to throw in?

So you are down with an F.W. Murnau film class?>>

Frankie,

You betcha!

Along with:

Ford at Fox: The Emergence of a Hollywood Master>>

In fact, I think we could have our summer school here without having to travel to Chicago for those classes that Facets is teaching.

If you are in Chicago, I would encourage you to attend the Facets classes.

But, if you aren't, there's no reason why we can't have our on-line classes here.

I'd gladly contribute to those threads. Perhaps we could have them in the Filmmakers Forum so as not to hi-jack other threads.

I'm really liking this idea.

Wanna throw in with me?

How about it , Miss G?

Cinemaven?

Anybody and everybody is welcome.

I think we could have a lot of fun and learn not only from watching the films but from each other as well.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

I'll sign up as the first very apt pupil! Just don't let FrankGrimes sit behind me.

Miss G,

Glad to have you on board. I hope Frankie (and others) will throw in with us as well.

Perhaps Jackie, Cinemaven, Bronxie, Tea. maybe we can get Dobbsy to be a special lecturer on the 1950s Sci-Fi films.

The more the merrier.

No problem about the seating arrangements.

Come on, Frankie, it will be fun.

Think of the knowledge we could share.

By the way, Harvey is coming up on the TCM schedule.

Is your TIVO ready?

_Frank-Cubs-13-Bucs-1-Grimes_ --

You know me too well. _Bergman_ -- Would've been a possibility with the early films, but not the post-Scenes from a Marriage stuff. _1950s Sci-Fi_ -- I actually have a draft proposal on the topic that I was going to submit to Facets, and this class is nearly identical, so...nevermind. _Ford at Fox_ -- I was momentarily tempted, but I feared that _MissG_ would lose all respect (if any remains) for me.

Murnau! Murnau! Murnau! -- I've seen four (Nosferatu, The Last Laugh, Faust, Sunrise) of the six films, but seeing Tartuffe and City Girl and, one hopes, digging deeper into his art is too much to pass up.

_lzcutter_ & _MissG_ --

Will there be any homework, will boys be forced to carry the books of any icky girls, and who is the Vice Principal imposing the discipline?

Subject to your responses, my hand is in the air (and it's not to ask for permission to go to the washroom).

Well, ChiO, all I know is if you and I were in the Pappy class I'd feel sorry for our teacher. :P

And some poor guy is definitely carrying THIS icky girl's books. :)

OK all you students.

Here's someting truly serendipitous - and a little scary.

I was killing some time earlier tonight with the "free" satellite service "Classic Arts Showcase" on my TV and what should appear but excerpts from a historical/biographical documentary titled "The Way To Murnau". It was made in 2002.

I found it quite interesting and it might make a good primer or introduction before diving in to the films themselves.

If you want to incorporate this into your curriculum (sp?), it can be found on the Kino DVD of Murnau's *Tartuffe* and is available through Netflix.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Tartuffe/60032422?trkid=147042

or Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Tartuffe-Way-Murnau-Hermann-Picha/dp/B0000DZTOV

Kyle In Hollywood

Howdy, Lynn -- Glad to have you on board. I hope Frankie (and others) will throw in with us as well. Come on, Frankie, it will be fun. Think of the knowledge we could share.

Knowing me, I'd put off watching the film at hand until the final day of class and then show up, all ready to talk about it.

By the way, Harvey is coming up on the TCM schedule. Is your TIVO ready?

TiVo? We don't need no stinkin' TiVo.

harvey1.jpg

Ciao, Miss Goddess -- I'll sign up as the first very apt pupil! Just don't let FrankGrimes sit behind me.

Ohh, I guess you want me to sit next to you so we can hold hands. That's so sweet of you. :x :P

And some poor guy is definitely carrying THIS icky girl's books. :)

That sounds about right: snippy and pushy all the way.

What's up, Cubs-13-Bucs-6-ChiOuch -- You know me too well.

You are predictably boring. I should know, since I'm twice as boring.

Bergman -- Would've been a possibility with the early films, but not the post-Scenes from a Marriage stuff.

That's what I figured.

1950s Sci-Fi -- I actually have a draft proposal on the topic that I was going to submit to Facets, and this class is nearly identical, so...nevermind.

So you are a Sci-Fi guy then. This I didn't know.

Ford at Fox -- I was momentarily tempted, but I feared that MissG would lose all respect (if any remains) for me.

There's a lot of ground to cover with Ford at Fox. The silent films would probably interest me the most.

Murnau! Murnau! Murnau! -- I've seen four (Nosferatu, The Last Laugh, Faust, Sunrise) of the six films, but seeing Tartuffe and City Girl and, one hopes, digging deeper into his art is too much to pass up.

Tartuffe is my least favorite of the Murnau films I have seen but it's still very good. I have never seen City Girl but I've heard good things about it. Are they showing Tabu and Phantom? I love those two films. Actually, I like all of the Murnau films that I have seen. I'll post some caps from each later tonight.

Hiya, SoKyle -- OK all you students. Here's someting truly serendipitous - and a little scary. I was killing some time earlier tonight with the "free" satellite service "Classic Arts Showcase" on my TV and what should appear but excerpts from a historical/biographical documentary titled "The Way To Murnau". It was made in 2002. I found it quite interesting and it might make a good primer or introduction before diving in to the films themselves.

If you want to incorporate this into your curriculum (sp?), it can be found on the Kino DVD of Murnau's Tartuffe and is available through Netflix.

waytomurnau1.jpg

waytomurnau2.jpg

waytomurnau3.jpg

waytomurnau4.jpg

_Frank-The-Cubs -Are-Finally-Leaving-Grimes_ --

The Murnau films being screening are:

*Nosferatu* (1922)

*The Last Laugh* (1924)

*Tartuffe* (1926)

*Faust* (1926)

*Sunrise* (1927)

*City Girl* (1928)

So that's two of my favorite films of all-time (The Last Laugh & Sunrise), two that I like alot (Nosferatu & Faust), and two I haven't seen.

*So you are a Sci-Fi guy then. This I didn't know.*

Actually, I don't consider myself as a Sci-Fi guy, but...I love '50s paranoia movies, from *Panic in the Streets* to Earth vs. Flying Saucers. They remind me of my carefree youth of ducking under the school desk for bomb drills, begging my Father to build a bomb shelter, knowing Sputnik would destroy us all, and Birchers ferreting out Commies.

OKEY DOKEY! I'm in! Just tell me what I've got to do. Make it obvious. Don't let me go searching for the thread.

Now when we're in the lunchroom...do I sit with the geeks & nerds or the fast cool kids? I gotta know how to dress for this thread.

CineMaven.