Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

*I named my car Muskrat Suzie*

*You must really love Captain & Tenielle!*

Actually, I love *Mystery Science Theater 3000* and I got it from there. Is it a Capt and Tenielle reference :) ? If so that's probably where the show got it from.

*I watch a lot of BBC America, and they toss around "****" so casually, lol.*

*I used to think it referred to the glutimas maximus.*

Well, for about half of the population, it's in that general vicinity :P.

*Actually, I love Mystery Science Theater 3000 and I got it from there.*

Hilarious!

The only problem I ever had with MST3K was that I'd see stuff on there that would just make me cry with laughter, but you couldn't really ever tell it to someone else who hadn't also seen it because it lost so much in the translation. The Sci-fi channel used to show it on Saturday mornings a few (well, like at least ten or so :) ) years back and I loved seeing it then. Somehow it's not quite as much fun watching it on DVD.

*Dreams:*

I had a dream last night with a movie star in it and I remember a prior discussion here about same and I thought I would record this dream here, for posterity.

It's a short dream. Orson Welles is seen at a gambling table. It's as if the camera is on the other side of the table and looking up at him. He has a monumental presence. He's throwing dice and he keeps losing and he is furious. He rants and yells and screams and it is a little riminiscent of the scene in Citizen Kane when he tears up Susan's room. Finally, he is restrained and carried away.

I wish it had a better ending and was longer and perhaps a bit more interesting. I have so few dreams with stars in it so I wanted to post it in view of the previous discussion. I kind of envied some of the elaborate and precise dreams that some of the rest of you have had regarding movie stars, etc. Mine seem few and far between and as you can see not terribly exciting. But it was vivid and fun to recall.

*I had a dream last night with a movie star in it and I remember a prior discussion here about same and I thought I would record this dream here, for posterity.*

I'm deeply envious of all the movie star dreams! My dreams range from completely bizarre to just plain odd. The last dream I remember involved me getting married (apparently to someone I did not like because I was unhappy-I also did not recognize this person) and fretting about how I hadn't had a final fitting on my wedding own and also James Brown made an unrelated appearance. I realized that I dreamt of James Brown because I had fallen asleep listening to NPR and BBC World News had run a story on him (I heard it the next morning when they re-ran the piece) but as for the rest of it I don't know. And nary a movie star in sight. Is one Errol Flynn or Rudolph Valentino appearance too much to ask of my psyche?

*Is one Errol Flynn or Rudolph Valentino appearance too much to ask of my psyche?*

Well, I had that one really sweet and wholesome dream about Marilyn awhile back, yippee!

That's interesting that you would have a dream about James Brown after having heard a story about him the night before. There's a rhyme and reason there that I like. The night before the Orson Welles dream, I watched In a Lonely Place with Bogart and Gloria Grahame. So why I didn't I dream of Gloria? Or for the purpose of what I mean, why not Bogart?

It might be interesting sometime to conduct an experiment and read something or concentrate on someone you want to dream about just prior to bedtime. Most likely wouldn't work though, it's not that simple.

*That's interesting that you would have a dream about James Brown after having heard a story about him the night before.*

The weird thing was that I didn't hear the story awake until the next morning. I must have been in some weird state of half asleep/half awake and it just kind of seeped in. It's not the first time that it's happened-once when I was a kid I had a dream about a conversation between my aunt and my cousin. When I told her about it the next morning she told me I had repeated their conversation almost verbatim. They had been in the kitchen which was right outside the room I was sleeping in and it slipped into my brain (I guess) right as I was going into REM or whatever. :)

*The weird thing was that I didn't hear the story awake until the next morning*

That sort of thing is a mind-blower for me. That almost gets into the psychic end of things. Nothing like that ever happens to me. I have only the most pedestrian stories to relate as far as dreams and the like. Both of your experiences almost suggest that maybe whatever enters the mind in that twilight half-asleep, half-awake state is what makes us dream what we dream.

Should I put on Gentlemen Prefer Blondes as I fall asleep and dream about Marilyn and Jane. Say, that sounds like a plan. ;)

Dreams are so strange and I just don't think we'll ever really understand them or where they come from. I can often relate things in my dreams back to stuff that happened that day. I probably have so many dreams about Gary b/c I have a lot of movie stills, reproduction movie posters, and old movie magazine with him on it or in them so basically I?m surrounded by him during the day (which isn?t a bad thing ;) ).

Last night I had a dream about my favorite live actor, Christian Bale :x. I?ve been a big fan of his since the 90s but I think this is the first dream I?ve ever had about him (or at least the only one I remember). He was in the news a lot yesterday b/c his mother and sister reported that he assaulted them. For the record, the charges have been dropped after he fully cooperated with the police in London. I was very surprised when that was first reported b/c it didn?t sound like him at all. He?s one of the few actors out there nowadays who never ends up in the tabloids and tries to live a quiet life with his family. It?s just strange that I had the dream last night and I didn?t dream about him after seeing *The Dark Knight* this past weekend, which was a fantastic film by the way.

Anyway, onto the dream. I was at a coffee shop or something (not sure why b/c I don?t drink coffee) and he was in there. I actually had the nerve to go up to him and I told him I was a big fan and how much I enjoyed *The Dark Knight*. He was very nice and asked me to sit down and we talked for a while. Unfortunately he was happily married in the dream like he is in real life so I didn?t make a pass at him :(. I guess I only devolve into a slutty homewrecker in my dreams with Gary ;). Then somehow I arranged a fan club type meeting and he agreed to come and talk with us and we were going to show some of his movies. I got everything arranged and then realized I was going to have to make the speech to introduce him. I *hate* public speaking. I can do it and am actually fairly good at it but I still don?t like having to do it. So I finally came up with something. I found a passage in a book that seemed to fit him well so I was going to talk a little and then read from the book. Here?s something really funny though, for some reason the book I was going to use had a picture of Gary on the cover. He always finds some way to sneak into my dreams even when they aren?t about him ;). So the meeting thing was supposed to be at 7pm and I was trying to get ready and I realized it was 7:43 and I was still trying to get ready. I was freaking out thinking he was gonna get mad and leave. Finally I made it and he was already there chit chatting with the other people (who were all women and most of them were people I went to high school with). Then it was time to give my speech and I woke up. I was very relieved b/c I didn?t want to have to do it!!

It?s good to have at least one big laugh every day. I usually have several so I should be in pretty good health :).

When I?m awake I?m more like Eliza Doolittle (?I?m a good girl I am!?) but when I go to sleep, my inner Mae West comes out in a big way ;). I got Gary to leave his wife and daughter for me one night and many other times I simply push him down onto my bed and have my way with him. No talking, no foreplay; just the fun stuff :P.

*It might be interesting sometime to conduct an experiment and read something or concentrate on someone you want to dream about just prior to bedtime. Most likely wouldn't work though, it's not that simple.*

Not for me, I've tried it and tried it and tried it. If it worked I never would want to wake from

my dreams. :P

I have to content myself with daydreams.

*Coopsgirl:* I never, or perhaps very seldom, have such a long dream like the one you had regarding the public speaking. And so specific! 7:43! Your dreams are like full-length movies and mine are like shorts. That OrsonW dream I had was so short and simple. Or maybe we all dream copiously and it's a matter of how much we can remember, which, in turn might have something to do with the quality of sleep.

Also, the fact that you like Coop so much and then have many dreams about him amazes me. Your conscious mind knows what it likes and then you're subconscious follows suit. I wouldn't think that the subconscious could be whipped into shape like that. Mine sure isn't. I'm more in tune with *Movieman*, my dreams just seem _stupid_ most of the time. And I cannot relate my dreams with anything that happened the day before either.

I wish I were a better dreamer. :(

Dreams are so strange and I just don't think we'll ever really understand them Coopsgirl...don't try to wonder why...I once had a dream that I was talking about ice cream with Walter Brennan on a school bus...go figure.

Hola, Lady B -- About the black pepper ice cream: did you know that sweet and tangy go together, and that many gourmet chocolate bars, for example, mix exotic spicy ingredients like chipotle peppers or ginger in with the chocolate?

The word "exotic" is foreign to me.

Since I don't eat regular full-fat vanilla ice cream anymore at home, I find the addition of the black pepper (sometimes I add cinnamon) actually brings out the creaminess of the vanilla.

A-ha! So you are trying to spice things up in your drab fat-free ice cream world. Pepper on ice cream is a new one, though.

Otherwise, I enjoy going out to ice cream parlors and pigging out, no pepper at all. And NO FROZEN YOGURT either.

Now we're back to the exciting Bronxie. Yogurt is nogurt with me.

Sometimes just the smell of real coffee will wake me up. I love it; it's my drug of choice.

Very good. "Boring" is my drug of choice. ;)

I love having (hot) pizza for breakfast and pancakes and bacon for dinner. It's somehow more comforting.

I like it! I can eat a slice of pizza for breakfast and I occasionally eat breakfast for dinner.

I also like chicken and waffles; there's a soul food restaurant in New York City, The Pink Tea Cup I think the name is, and I always had it there. I really got used to this Southern combination. And you pour the (real) maple syrup over the chicken as well. Yum!

I've never had chicken and waffles, but it sounds good to me.

Frank thinks I really DO want to talk about my hair. But I don't.

Uh-huh. For your next trick...

You never had me pegged as a snuggler?

I didn't. I just didn't picture you as a cutesy gal who likes to hug up on everyone. I do see you as being cozy, though.

And I thought you were perceptive.

That's your speciality, Star Hustler.

Live and stuffed animals, and cute babies. Not ugly ones. And certain people who are not averse to being hugged.

This is not what I pictured. I'll tell you who you can hug... J-Girl. She LOVES them.

You've never been to a Chinese restaurant? Geez, what am I gonna DO with you?

Here's a shovel, start diggin'.

At the Gilroy Garlic Fest in California, they have garlic ice cream. That I could go for.

Dig faster!

Hiya, Doctor J! -- Mr. Grimes, thanks for making me laugh with the movie clip. If hugs had that disintegrating effect upon humans I certainly wouldn't mind attempting to give one. Then I'll try it on myself to see if it works on aliens.

:D I thought you'd appreciate those kind of hugs. You'd be the world's biggest hugger with such powers.

Ohh, before I forget... OXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX!

Ciao, Movieman Chris -- I also can't stand the smell of beer. Consequently, I've never tried one.

And you call yourself a guy? You should be ashamed of yourself. ;)

As a kid we had a neighbor (one of the other kid's father) loved playing football with us. The trouble was he usually had a beer before he came out to play. Standing in a huddle with someone with beer breath is tough.

See, now that's a shining example of manhood.

Now my brothers-in-law have great fun trying to be the first one to ask me if I want a beer. It's juvenile on their part but I guess they think the same since I won't drink one.

My one friend, who liked to drink a lot, would tease me that he was going to spike my drinks.

I have only had about a quarter of a beer in my life. It was at a family picnic and I was about 13. Most of the guys drank beer, so I thought I'd be a "guy" and try one. I didn't like the taste at all and I haven't felt the need to try it again.

I tried wine and champagne earlier this year, but I didn't like the taste of either. Alcohol just doesn't connect with me at all.

Have I mentioned that I'm boring? I'm also quite individualistic. I never really cared what the "crowd" was doing or what was seen as accepted by society. I still don't. I don't mind being the only one, even if it means I'm the lonely one.

You always have to line up your cereal by cover art? You must have some big cabinets.

No, just empty ones.

Bang, Bang, Annie Laurie Starr -- So you don't drink coffee or tea, either? And here I thought I was the only fool. Okay, I still am. Do you have any peanut butter cup cookies left?

My bike is even better in person than it was in the picture. I named her Ruby. I just need to get a red helmet (this week!) and I'm ready to go. I purchased a bike lock, a bell and these totally boss valve covers that look like dice.

You've got dice? Is there a waterbed in the back, too? :P

You've painted up your lips an rolled and curled your tinted hair.

Ruby are you contemplating going out somewhere?

The Shadow on the wall tells me the sun is going down -

Oh Ruby

Don't take your love to town

How's the knight, Batgirl? -- That?s cool about your bike. Ruby is a cute name for it. I named my car Muskrat Suzie (I?m sure Frank will get the reference). I just paid it off earlier this month and now that little Nissan Sentra is mine, all mine!!!

I was with ya, Sugar B.

Frank: A guy's legs have to look their smoothest when in kilt, right? I find that Coop Whip brings outs the natural sheen of one's kilty legs.

Clearly you weren?t studying that pic as closely as some of us chicks or you would have noticed he has beautiful hairy legs :x .

Naaah, it's just fast growth. That pic must have been taken in the afternoon.

They even make reference to his hairy legs in the movie, unfortunately the chest hair is kept under wraps :( .

If only all of Coop were kept under wraps. And I don't mean under your sheets, Dream Girl. :P :p

Howdy, Quiet Gal -- I once had a dream that I was talking about ice cream with Walter Brennan on a school bus...go figure.

That's because Bronxie spiked your ice cream with black pepper. That'll make anyone "ride the bus" with ol' Walt.

*You've got dice? Is there a waterbed in the back, too?*

Now you're just being ridiculous. :)

I'm happy to report that a large number of people made the same PeeWee's Big Adventure connection that I did when they saw my bike.

Minya: Pee-wee?s bike was awesome!! Who wouldn?t want one like that? He could practically fly in that thing! Am I the only one who was totally freaked out by Large Marge?

Waterbeds were also very cool. I needed a new bed and for my 13th birthday my parents bought me a waterbed. Do they even still make those today ? ha!

Frank:

*If only all of Coop were kept under wraps. And I don't mean under your sheets, Dream Girl.*

Hey, that?s the best place for him (of course we're not always under the sheets ;) ).

Ruby

So this is my bike. Nowhere near as amazing as PeeWee's but there's still time. :)

PeeWee!

Yoicks and away!!!! I figure I could rig something like that up!

*Am I the only one who was totally freaked out by Large Marge?*

No, she always reminded me of the worst accident I ever seen. :) It was on a night, just like this one...

>Have I mentioned that I'm boring? I'm also quite individualistic. I never really cared what the "crowd" was doing or what was seen as accepted by society. I still don't. I don't mind being the only one, even if it means I'm the lonely one.

Well, here I thought I was the only one like that. Boring? I think I'm part of the club too. Although to put a positive spin on it I'd say we were "laid back."

Your dull and sober friend,

Chris