Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

Howdy, Cowboy Chris -- I love the idea of the site. I hate the idea of using "the" alphabetically as it throws so many movies there. Most film books I have don't use it to list things.

I didn't even know they did it that way.  I just selected the films I have seen and ranked them.

I have this one to watch: The Fastest Gun Alive - Glenn Ford.

I have seen this one: The Law and Jake Wade - Robert Taylor

And I don't have these just yet:

Four Faces West - Joel McCrea

The Guns of Navarone - Gregory Peck.

Pork Chop Hill - Gregory Peck

Hmmm, westerns and war films. "How ordinary." (Lili von Shtupp - Blazing Saddles.)

That's what I wanted!  And Lili is always a selling point for me, too. :)

So The Fastest Gun Alive will be my film for you.

I hope you are well. April's and your absence have left a large void here so it's good to get back. I need a good chat.

I think the snippy hula dancer may be getting close.  We will see.

How do, Ma Stone -- It's been forever.  You have already celebrated 100 birthdays since we last spoke. :P

Ok now.. I am gonna hold you to that. My frozen rope and hatpin are at the ready. Don't MAKE me climb into the computer screen and come after you. :P

You need to help me out!  You have to find some films for me to watch!

Wowsa.. I never ever even HEARD Of that site before.. and it looks like it would be right up  your alley (being able to list your films that way, etc) NOW I know where you have been hanging  your black hat lately. Looks like you've been pretty busy in there compiling your lists (and I love that you have reviews next to the films too.. at least the few I checked out. I have not had time yet to go meandering through there to see what all you have listed. But hey.. it looked pretty cool) 

I joined in January but I haven't been hanging out there that much, actually.  Not since April, really.  And I haven't written a review there for a while.  It got to be too much.

I will have to give it some thought to find a movie you HAVEN'T seen yet. (you are so way ahead of me, I may have a hard time) but I will see if I can think of any  you might enjoy. (ha.. or not.. because well. y ou know.. it would be MY suggestion. so you probably would hate it ANYWAY) ha. :D  Hope others will chime in for some films for you too. 

Don't look for films that I'd like!  Find some you like.  I've actually been in your world of late.  At least I think it is.  I've been watching some animated films.  I'm guessing your being a mother has led you to these kind of films.

It's been forever.  You have already celebrated 100 birthdays since we last spoke

Hahahahaha.. this would be even FUNNIER if it weren't true! (ha.. when you get to be my age.. they all start to roll together.. ha.) :D  Which reminds me to thank you again for remembering me (over in Rambles) I totally (and I do mean TOTALLY) missed seeing your message for a few days so it was a very pleasant surprise to find it there. :) 

You need to help me out!  You have to find some films for me to watch

Are you open to more "modern" films are you only looking for "classics?" I noticed you had some lists for more recent stuff too. (2000's even) I might stand a better chance if you are willing to expand your horizons further than usual. Either way, I will give it a good "think" and see what I can come up with to suggest. 

Don't look for films that I'd like!  Find some you like.  I've actually been in your world of late.  At least I think it is.  I've been watching some animated films.  I'm guessing your being a mother has led you to these kind of films.

Ha.. well it would depend (we are sometimes kinda choosy which animated movies we watch and don't watch) Is that one of your lists? What are some of the titles? Meanwhile.. let me see if my OLD fogey feeble brain can come up w/ a few choices for you to try. 

PS: Mr. Movieman: 

I thought last week that Royals were one of those teams of destiny that everything was going right

They really are having quite a year. It's not something I usually follow (and probably would be the last person who could tell you very much, ha) but boy, it would be nice to see them go all the way. (or even get there to try) It's been a loooonnnnnggg time since 1985. ha. Since they've gotten this far, am hoping to see them get a chance to go a little further. 

The rain gave everybody an extra day of rest.. maybe your birdies will have time to recover from flapping their wings to get here and give our boys in blue a run for their money tomorrow. (ha.. don't tell anyone in my family I said that.. ha. My brothers.. my dad.. my oldest stepson.. they'd all have my head on a platter if they knew I was even REMOTELY sympathetic to the other team) :D

Hahahahaha.. this would be even FUNNIER if it weren't true! (ha.. when you get to be my age.. they all start to roll together.. ha.) :D Which reminds me to thank you again for remembering me (over in Rambles) I totally (and I do mean TOTALLY) missed seeing your message for a few days so it was a very pleasant surprise to find it there. :)

I figured I could be posting your birthday wishes in a spot you may not be checking that often, but I felt it was best to go back to where it all really started, with "Rambles".

Are you open to more "modern" films are you only looking for "classics?" I noticed you had some lists for more recent stuff too. (2000's even) I might stand a better chance if you are willing to expand your horizons further than usual. Either way, I will give it a good "think" and see what I can come up with to suggest. 

Definitely classics.  That's because I have a huge library of classic film and I don't really have access to many contemporary films.  Not to mention, that's where my interests lie.  What we could do is a pick film that we both haven't seen but have access to, such as YouTube.  But I would want you to choose.  I'll let your moods dictate.

Ha.. well it would depend (we are sometimes kinda choosy which animated movies we watch and don't watch) Is that one of your lists? What are some of the titles? Meanwhile.. let me see if my OLD fogey feeble brain can come up w/ a few choices for you to try. 

You are worse than the Code!  I don't have an animated list because I've just started watching them.  I think I have seen around twenty in the past few weeks.

I felt it was best to go back to where it all really started, with "Rambles".

Boy oh boy, those were the days. ha. We all had some mighty fine rumbles.. I mean rambles back in the day, ha. :) I still say Miss G had a stroke of genius creating a thread like that we could all just sit back and "ramble on and on" with.. and even occasionally talk about MOVIES too. :)

Definitely classics.

I knew  you were going to say that.. ha. (because after looking through your 90's and 2000's list I thought of TWO films I wanted to suggest to you.. go figure. :D 

Meanwhile I will add that  your EIGHTIES list is quite the mix and match. ha. And yet, somehow, I think it is very you! :D

I am still working my way through some of the other lists (for more classic era movies) It's going to take a year and a day.. good gravy, man. You have watched a BOATLOAD of movies! :)

What we could do is a pick film that we both haven't seen but have access to, such as YouTube.  But I would want you to choose.  I'll let your moods dictate.

Well that could work, I think. I actually have a huge long list (ok.. huge for me,ha) of youtube movies saved in a folder that I keep thinking I am going to watch one of these days. Trouble is.. quite a few of them are ones I know you've already seen. (some you even had on your list and indicated you thought I might like) I just have yet to have time to sort through and watch many of them (ha.. NOW who's the slacker??) :)

I will see what I have in my folder and start narrowing some choices down.. will hope to come up with some (maybe at least a couple) 

Meanwhile.. did i mention I have TWO choices in your 90's era that I think you should watch.. ha.. Ok.. I know.. I know.. you said classics.. but HEY.. a girl's gotta try. :D

Hey.. what about:  

I l-o-v-e LOVE this movie and I didn't see it on your Marlene list OR your 1930's (but to be honest.. that 30's list is a mile long, so I might have overlooked it) 

Boy oh boy, those were the days. ha. We all had some mighty fine rumbles.. I mean rambles back in the day, ha. :) I still say Miss G had a stroke of genius creating a thread like that we could all just sit back and "ramble on and on" with.. and even occasionally talk about MOVIES too. :)

Now let's not go too crazy and start calling Miss Whosits a genius.  She's a handful already!  If she starts thinking she's a genius, the doghouse will look mighty cozy to me!

I knew  you were going to say that.. ha. (because after looking through your 90's and 2000's list I thought of TWO films I wanted to suggest to you.. go figure. :D

This is a classic film board!  And it really is what I've come to love.

Meanwhile I will add that  your EIGHTIES list is quite the mix and match. ha. And yet, somehow, I think it is very you! :D

My 80s list is very much "me".  I love the comedies of the 80s.  I'm also very boyish in my likes, of course.

I am still working my way through some of the other lists (for more classic era movies) It's going to take a year and a day.. good gravy, man. You have watched a BOATLOAD of movies! :)

I can't say I'm a "newbie" anymore.  I've graduated to at least a sophomore.  I may even be a junior, by now.

Well that could work, I think. I actually have a huge long list (ok.. huge for me,ha) of youtube movies saved in a folder that I keep thinking I am going to watch one of these days. Trouble is.. quite a few of them are ones I know you've already seen. (some you even had on your list and indicated you thought I might like) I just have yet to have time to sort through and watch many of them (ha.. NOW who's the slacker??) :)

I know your time is limited.  Just let me know if you are in the mood to watch something and I will also look to watch it.

Meanwhile.. did i mention I have TWO choices in your 90's era that I think you should watch.. ha.. Ok.. I know.. I know.. you said classics.. but HEY.. a girl's gotta try. :D

All right, let's hear it.  I may be able to track the films down.

Have you seen Up?  I cried my eyes out with that one.

I l-o-v-e LOVE this movie and I didn't see it on your Marlene list OR your 1930's (but to be honest.. that 30's list is a mile long, so I might have overlooked it) 

Look again!  I didn't like that one as much as you and a certain New England lass.  I think Miss G likes it, as well.  I'm impressed you like a Marlene film!

Look again

Agh! Which list?? I didn't see it on either one (ha.. don't tell me both because then I really WILL be feeling senile. ha. :D

I didn't like that one as much as you and a certain New England lass.  I think Miss G likes it, as well. 

Now that doesn't surprise me in the least.. ha. because I liked it.. so now I need to go look at your lists again and find it.. just to see how bad you DIDN'T! ha. :D

I'm impressed you like a Marlene film!

I like some Marlene.. depends on the movie. (though I confess I have not seen a whole bunch of them) This one would be my second fave for her (after Destry Rides Again.. which by the way I see made it into I believe your top 5 for Westerns. ha. That has to be my one and only honest to goodness SCORE for you, ha. My track record is like the Royals. I only get a World Series Win once ever gazillion years. :D  But hey.. a win's a win! :D

Miss Whosits a genius

Of course she is.. and I hope she'll take a break from the sand and surf pretty soon and come in here and wallop you. (for crackin' wise on her that way, ha) :D  

This is a classic film board!  And it really is what I've come to love.

I know, I know. And I am going to think of SOMETHING eventually. I just am coming up on a pretty short list compared to the gazillion movies you have listed. I'll get there.. eventually. (maybe.. perhaps.. I imagine.. it's possible.)  :D

I may even be a junior, by now.

I would say yes.. maybe even all the way up to Senior. ha (keep this up and you'll have to build onto your house just to fit all your movie collection under one roof) :D

All right, let's hear it.  I may be able to track the films down

I was going to suggest two personal favorites of mine: Babe (1995)  (that one is a favorite of the kidling too) and the other is an M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable. (it was made in 2000.. I thought it was the late nineties.. but anyway.. it is my second favorite film of his that I have seen.. though I have only seen three or four) 

They are both on youtube  but you have to pay.. not sure if you would want to do that or not. but I think you can find them pretty easily.. maybe even at the library. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGrN6blSCGw

Have you seen Up?  I cried my eyes out with that one.

I have.. maybe about a gazillion times. ha. That movie has a very special place in my heart. I still remember taking the kidling to the theater to see it for the first time and being totally beside myself after the first ten minutes. I had very low expectation for it. (based on the premise of the story alone I thought it would be the dopiest movie ever made) and it has become a family favorite. We go around quoting lines from it all the time. Very sweet movie. 

So Quiet Gal, Musicman, Snippy, Little Red Buick, Super Charger, ...

...and how about those Super Cowboy (apologies for Torture Thread followers who are not sports fans, I ask you indulgence because it can no longer be ignored that the San Diego Chargers and Dallas Cowboys are making some noise in NFL) who are tearing up the league with a 5-1 record as are the Super Chargers with a a 5-1 record as well. Both teams have conquered the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks with The Chargers holding the ball 42 minutes in their game and the Cowboys 38 minutes in their encounter. The Seattle offensive units were playing pinochle on the bench in both games. We are looking at competence. Honestly Grimes, the Cowboys have never looked quite this good, at least since the Aikman-E.Smith glory years. Their performance vs the Saints was astonishing. Just when the latter was poised to get back in the game, the Cowboys shut them down. To coin a phrase, they are for real ... and I think the Chargers are as well. They each have a formidable opponent in their respective Divisions so it won't be easy, but their winning percentages, if they can keep it up, will at least probably get them a Wild Card. Looking forward to the Charger-Bronco and Cowboy-Eagle clashes, should be something. Well Grimes, see you in Feb at the Super ... maybe.

Interesting blogsite there, Scott, I'll be having a look, taylor made for you, I hope you get back to it. I'll try to think of a movie for you.

OH and PS.. regarding THIS: 

You are worse than the Code

Ha.. I meant to answer this earlier and forgot.. but yes.. so very much.. way so very much worse. :D (but only out of love for my daughter) We just don't like too many shows where rude, disrpespectful, or inappropriate language or subjects are not just "in" the movie.. but celebrated. 

And for what its worth.. ha.. she's stricter than I am sometimes. ("Mom.. why are we watching this?? Can we turn it?" ha. What can I say..  she's a peacemaker after my own heart.)  She likes a good story, and she is starting to expand her horizons beyond just the "kiddie" type shows (especially in the last two or three years,) but we hardly ever (almost never) have had to have a conversation about whether or not she could watch something that was too graphic, or inappropriate.  I give her a lot of credit of that.  

Meanwhile.. I just have to watch my "grittier" movies.. my tougher, rougher westerns.. or my harsher crime stories, etc.. after she goes to bed.. or when she is doing other things. 

I don't have an animated list because I've just started watching them.  I think I have seen around twenty in the past few weeks.

I saw some of her favorites (animated and otherwise) on a few of your lists. 

(PS, sorry, Mr. Pirate.. didn't mean to post over top of you.. we musta been typing at the same time) 

Hi all,

Well it's the dead of night for most of you but I hope I won't always be so off-base with my timing---and I do want to post more often now, if possible, even if I am down to just my trusty little laptop these days. :)

My suggestion for you, FrankGrimes, is one I stumbled upon TV the other day and it's on YouTube:  ILLEGAL (1955) starring Edward G. Robinson.  I thought it was pretty interesting, a good, later role for Eddie with a rather wrenching "awakening conscience" circumstance for him.  He plays a real fireball district attorney, sort of a try-them-then-fry-them kind of guy.  You don't want to commit a capital crime in his district!

ILLEGAL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5OpDKvOjc

It may not be his very best but it was pretty gripping in spots.  Nina Foch has a good role but most of you guys will have eyes for Miss Mansfield. ;)

11623_1_front.jpg

I will second Ro's suggestion for "Babe." It is one of my favorites. It is sweet and funny without being too cute too often. George Miller, who also did a couple of "Mad Max" movies is behind this one.

If you enjoy it then, by all means, avoid "Babe: Pig In The City." It misses on everything that the original hit. I thought it was terrible.

Laffite:

You are quite right on your analysis. What may also be a big surprise is that maybe, just maybe, the Cleveland Browns are much better than anyone thought and the Steelers are pretty bad this year.

San Diego in the Super Bowl? Why not it would be nice to see a new team.

Look what the kittens dragged in!  A sun-baked Goddess!  I now must hope she's so blinded by the sun that she forgets who she's talking to. :D

I hate to say it, but I have seen Illegal.  I do like it.  The ending is very good.  Eddie is great in the film.  I love his love in the film.  It's a character I completely identify with, for sure.  I think Quiet Gal would like the film well enough.

Who's Jayne Mansfield? :P

Hey, Super Charger -- I am definitely pulling for the Chargers!  I don't want the Broncos to win.  And I have always kind of pulled for San Diego. 

Before the season, I picked the Cowboys to go 4-12 because of a horrendous, no-name defense.  That should tell you how stunned I am by their 5-1 start,  And I told everyone I knew how awful they were going to be this season.

But before anyone starts feeling really good about Dallas, the team has played well in the first half of the season many times in recent years.  It's always the second half of the season that gets them.  And their second-half schedule is mighty tough.

San Diego also has a difficult schedule in the second half.  Our teams will have to earn it.

Interesting blogsite there, Scott, I'll be having a look, taylor made for you, I hope you get back to it. I'll try to think of a movie for you.

Terrific!

Agh! Which list?? I didn't see it on either one (ha.. don't tell me both because then I really WILL be feeling senile. ha. :D

You're not senile because you know you are senile.  That shows awareness! :PKnight Without Armour is on both my 30s list and Marlene list.

Now that doesn't surprise me in the least.. ha. because I liked it.. so now I need to go look at your lists again and find it.. just to see how bad you DIDN'T! ha. :D

You are right!  How does that sound coming from me?

I like some Marlene.. depends on the movie. (though I confess I have not seen a whole bunch of them) This one would be my second fave for her (after Destry Rides Again.. which by the way I see made it into I believe your top 5 for Westerns. ha. That has to be my one and only honest to goodness SCORE for you, ha. My track record is like the Royals. I only get a World Series Win once ever gazillion years. :D  But hey.. a win's a win! :D

I love Destry Rides Again!  What a unique western that is.  I love the mix of comedy, romance, and drama.

Of course she is.. and I hope she'll take a break from the sand and surf pretty soon and come in here and wallop you. (for crackin' wise on her that way, ha) :D

Oh, I've won her over.  She only gives me hugs and kisses now. :P

I would say yes.. maybe even all the way up to Senior. ha (keep this up and you'll have to build onto your house just to fit all your movie collection under one roof) :D

I feel like my place is my DVD collection!  It's a step up from a cardboard box!  If only Miss G would allow me to crash on the couch!

I was going to suggest two personal favorites of mine: Babe (1995)  (that one is a favorite of the kidling too) and the other is an M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable. (it was made in 2000.. I thought it was the late nineties.. but anyway.. it is my second favorite film of his that I have seen.. though I have only seen three or four) 

I might have a shot at tracking those down.  M. Night is not a favorite of mine.  Signs... ugh!  But my brother has told me he has two good films with Unbreakable being one of them.  My sister-in-law may have Babe on DVD.  I will have to ask.

They are both on youtube  but you have to pay.. not sure if you would want to do that or not. but I think you can find them pretty easily.. maybe even at the library. 

I would only pay to own a film.

I have.. maybe about a gazillion times. ha. That movie has a very special place in my heart. I still remember taking the kidling to the theater to see it for the first time and being totally beside myself after the first ten minutes. I had very low expectation for it. (based on the premise of the story alone I thought it would be the dopiest movie ever made) and it has become a family favorite. We go around quoting lines from it all the time. Very sweet movie. 

I don't think I have ever cried after ten minutes with a film.  That one wrecked me throughout.  It's a lovely film.  If you care about love and marriage, it's beautiful.

You're not senile because you know you are senile.  That shows awareness!

HA. Maybe I am only "GOING" senile.. it comes and goes.. ha. Every now and then I get a lucid moment, but ha.. eventually... well.. if it keeps up, eventually I'll just be enjoying my tapioca out on the patio and talking to my napkin and my spoon. Gotta have a hobby. :D

Knight Without Armour is on both my 30s list and Marlene list.

Well I DID go back and find it on your Marlene list.. and sure enough, it was right there where I imagined.. near the bottom.. so sad. :D (but I still did not find it yet on your 30's one. Though in my defense... that thing is a monster. You have a LOT of 30's movies to sort through. How in the WORLD you can rank that many in order of how you like them is beyond my ken. (but then.. us "going senile" people sometimes struggle that way.. HA!) :D

You are right!  How does that sound coming from me?

Ha.. I should print that off and frame it. :D

I might have a shot at tracking those down.  M. Night is not a favorite of mine.  Signs... ugh!  But my brother has told me he has two good films with Unbreakable being one of them.  My sister-in-law may have Babe on DVD.  I will have to ask.

Well at the risk of being TOTALLY (utterly, completely, and absolutely) wrong.. I THINK you would enjoy Babe. It is as the Movieman said. It's sweet and funny.. but not overbearing in it's cuteness. It is another one of those films (even the QT loves it) that we go around quoting from all the time. ha. (Our favorite line: "Christmas means carnage!!!!!!!!!!!!"  Ha.. you'll have to watch to find out about that) :D

I don't think I have ever cried after ten minutes with a film.  That one wrecked me throughout.  It's a lovely film.  If you care about love and marriage, it's beautiful

Absolutely right. It really is a film that "gets" that perfectly. I also like the interaction between Russell and Mr. Fredrickson too. It is very dear. (and we do so love DUG as well) The kidling has a stuffed "pillow pet" dog that looks a lot like him (that she got as a gift the same year the movie came out) and that is what she named him. To this day, Dug still had a place of honor at the head of her bed, after all these  years. :)

One of the other reasons I love this movie is the memories I have of a little autistic boy that I used to work with. He and I spent a GOOD deal of his entire school day together and this was his favorite movie.We talked about it all the time and he loved that I could quote lines from it for him. (because he could almost quote the entire thing) And my pet name for him was "Small Mailman" ha. I would say "Scream all you want, Small Mailman" and he would finish the line ("None of your Mailman friends can hear you")  And then he would smile and laugh.. which for him was not easy to do. (if you understand autism) But this was one area he was able to connect with me on and we enjoyed it a lot.  It's been almost 3 years since I worked with him. but I still get tears thinking of the fun we had working together and enjoying our free time just talking with him about this movie. 

HA. Maybe I am only "GOING" senile.. it comes and goes.. ha. Every now and then I get a lucid moment, but ha.. eventually... well.. if it keeps up, eventually I'll just be enjoying my tapioca out on the patio and talking to my napkin and my spoon. Gotta have a hobby. :D

I've been talking to myself for years!  I'm horrible company!

Well I DID go back and find it on your Marlene list.. and sure enough, it was right there where I imagined.. near the bottom.. so sad. :D (but I still did not find it yet on your 30's one. Though in my defense... that thing is a monster. You have a LOT of 30's movies to sort through. How in the WORLD you can rank that many in order of how you like them is beyond my ken. (but then.. us "going senile" people sometimes struggle that way.. HA!) :D

The list was much smaller when I started.  That made is easier.  But I pretty much group films on how my feelings are when I see the titles on my list.  It's far from an exact science.  And Knight Without Armour is #261 in the 30s.

Well at the risk of being TOTALLY (utterly, completely, and absolutely) wrong.. I THINK you would enjoy Babe. It is as the Movieman said. It's sweet and funny.. but not overbearing in it's cuteness. It is another one of those films (even the QT loves it) that we go around quoting from all the time. ha. (Our favorite line: "Christmas means carnage!!!!!!!!!!!!"  Ha.. you'll have to watch to find out about that) :D

I will definitely see if my sister-in-law has it.  I'm sure I will think it's good.

Absolutely right. It really is a film that "gets" that perfectly. I also like the interaction between Russell and Mr. Fredrickson too. It is very dear. (and we do so love DUG as well) The kidling has a stuffed "pillow pet" dog that looks a lot like him (that she got as a gift the same year the movie came out) and that is what she named him. To this day, Dug still had a place of honor at the head of her bed, after all these  years. :)

That is really cute!

One of the other reasons I love this movie is the memories I have of a little autistic boy that I used to work with. He and I spent a GOOD deal of his entire school day together and this was his favorite movie.We talked about it all the time and he loved that I could quote lines from it for him. (because he could almost quote the entire thing) And my pet name for him was "Small Mailman" ha. I would say "Scream all you want, Small Mailman" and he would finish the line ("None of your Mailman friends can hear you")  And then he would smile and laugh.. which for him was not easy to do. (if you understand autism) But this was one area he was able to connect with me on and we enjoyed it a lot.  It's been almost 3 years since I worked with him. but I still get tears thinking of the fun we had working together and enjoying our free time just talking with him about this movie.

And that's why I love you, Quiet Gal.  Love and happiness is what I feel are the most important feelings in life.  And to experience those with anyone is wonderful.  It's especially important with children, particularly those facing obstacles.  I am glad you shared that story with us.  You will never forget those days you spent with that child.  They are a great reminder to appreciate all the little things we have in life to love.

Oh Grey Dude.. you make me cry. :)

I appreciate all you said. And I have to tell you that my time working in that school (with that particular boy, and a few other children there) would be among some of the best  work-related memories I have ever had. It was a great experience, to be sure. 

And isn't it fascinating how movies (even a children't story, like UP) can be an opening to build a relationship on when it might be hard to find a way to communicate with someone.. for whatever reason. This child I mentioned is a perfect example.. because he had a LOT of issues. So many that it became necessary for us to eventually have to move him to a different school for more specialized help. But while he was with me.. we found common things to enjoy about one another and we were able to find moments that we could communicate together.. and this movie was a big part of that. Some of the other people I worked with even would ask me what my "secret" was with him.. and I told them it was no secret.. you just have to learn what he likes.. and talk to him on that level.

YOU are like that sometimes.. I enjoy the way YOU enjoy getting to know us all and finding out the things we LIKE about movies (or don't like) so you can better understand the folks you chat with here. I think that is a great part of the reason we all have had so many fun conversations over the years. 

Movies are a common bond people can use to share "who they are" in a lot of different settings in life. I mean.. take this message board for example. I have made some very good friends here, and many of them are very different from me in the way they think, or how they view life in general. We are not always going to see eye to eye with everyone we meet.. and we might not even have anything in common to discuss or share at all "in the real world" sometimes. But HERE.. we are friends and we can find common ground, no matter our other differences  (where we come from, what we think about this or that other sorts of topics, etc) And it all comes from our mutual enjoyment of "gabbing and blabbing" about the various themes, and characters, and story lines we find in the movies we discuss.

Very cool.   

I will definitely see if my sister-in-law has it.  I'm sure I will think it's good

I will look forward to hearing from you on it sometime. Because hey.. he IS after all a "Pig of Destiny" ha. (another favorite line) :D

Ro, going completely off topic but to stay with your point about working with kids. I had a big surprise as I reluctantly was a helper in my son's kindergarten class many years ago. It turned out to be such a rewarding experience. I was the only dad to help and that seemed to be a big deal to the kids. Now, none of them were challenged in anyway but I got the sense that they may have had a father figure lacking in their lives.

I had a set of groupies. They flocked to me. I got to the point where I looked forward to going. One little girl even asked if I could be her father. It broke my heart and made me happy at the same time. I was good friends with the teacher for many years. It turned out to be a wonderful experience.

I didn't think I could do it but I surprised myself. It is much the same way now when I play at church. I didn't think I could do that but I have for about 13 years. Still love it. People seem to like it.

So, back to our regularly scheduled conversation.... 

• Like 1

Oh Mr. Movieman.. that's a great story! You have just the right perspective on how valuable it is both to the kids AND to the grown up to get a chance to be a part of someone's day that way. :)

Way cool. 

Ps.. sorry to see your birdies got their wings clipped again last night.. or AM I??  ha.  :D

• Like 1

Here is a site where I have many of my lists stored if you want to figure if I have seen a film or not:

http://letterboxd.com/scotthbg/

It's also a good guide in knowing my tastes for those of you who don't know me too well.  Just click on "lists" and you will find a bunch.

Hello Grey Dude. I wanted to repost your list.. since it got buried further back (sorry for all my jabbering, ha)  so hopefully more folks will get a chance to look at it again.

Will keep thinking of movies to suggest. (ha.. but so far not having much luck.. I DID think of one.. Union Pacific, 1939, but it is not as easy to find, and as I recall, it was not as popular w/ others as it was with me (I remember really liking it.. but not to many others said so) and I have only seen it ONCE and that was years ago.. so I wouldn't even be able to chat much w/ you on it.. so will try to come up with a better one to suggest than that) :) 

Meanwhile.. hope you get some other suggestions soon! 

I hate to say it, but I have seen Illegal.  I do like it.  The ending is very good.  Eddie is great in the film.  I love his love in the film.  It's a character I completely identify with, for sure.  I think Quiet Gal would like the film well enough.

That's good, though!  I had not even heard of it before.  I liked the character transition for Eddie.  I also caught one of my absolute favorites with him a couple of weeks ago: Little Giant.  I think you watched it; it's with Mary Astor.  I really think it's a splendid little riff on not just gangster movies, but society and the whole "upwardly mobile" thing that still goes on in society.  I like how Mary barely gives a second thought to any "lack" in his education or understanding of her world, she only sees who he really is.  It's a good example of a terrific actress doing a lot with a somewhat slight role.

Who's Jayne Mansfield? :P

As if!

Now I have to think of more movies for you to watch.  You're seeing so many lately that I'm beginning to trail.  I watched a few movies lately but they were all re-visits.  Nothing "new", at least not from classic film.   

Hey, Kindergarten Cop -- Ro, going completely off topic but to stay with your point about working with kids. I had a big surprise as I reluctantly was a helper in my son's kindergarten class many years ago. It turned out to be such a rewarding experience. I was the only dad to help and that seemed to be a big deal to the kids. Now, none of them were challenged in anyway but I got the sense that they may have had a father figure lacking in their lives.

I had a set of groupies. They flocked to me. I got to the point where I looked forward to going. One little girl even asked if I could be her father. It broke my heart and made me happy at the same time. I was good friends with the teacher for many years. It turned out to be a wonderful experience.

What a great story!  It's remarkable how sharing your time and attention with children often comes back to you in a rewarding way.  That's been my own experience.  I have noticed that children thrive off of positive encouragement, especially the boys and sports.

Good Sunday to you, Ma Stone -- Oh Grey Dude.. you make me cry. :)

One of your best qualities!  A person who cares emotionally always places high with me.

I appreciate all you said. And I have to tell you that my time working in that school (with that particular boy, and a few other children there) would be among some of the best  work-related memories I have ever had. It was a great experience, to be sure. 

A lot different than a shoe store.

And isn't it fascinating how movies (even a children't story, like UP) can be an opening to build a relationship on when it might be hard to find a way to communicate with someone.. for whatever reason. This child I mentioned is a perfect example.. because he had a LOT of issues. So many that it became necessary for us to eventually have to move him to a different school for more specialized help. But while he was with me.. we found common things to enjoy about one another and we were able to find moments that we could communicate together.. and this movie was a big part of that. Some of the other people I worked with even would ask me what my "secret" was with him.. and I told them it was no secret.. you just have to learn what he likes.. and talk to him on that level.

I think it's absolutely beautiful.  And I do feel movies can create common bonds.  You are completely right about that.

YOU are like that sometimes.. I enjoy the way YOU enjoy getting to know us all and finding out the things we LIKE about movies (or don't like) so you can better understand the folks you chat with here. I think that is a great part of the reason we all have had so many fun conversations over the years. 

Oh, no!  My secret is out!  I'm ruined! :P I'm all about connecting with people that I'm interested in and care about.  I'd rather learn about them than impose myself on others.  As much as I'm drawn to Grace Kelly, Gloria Grahame, Gene Tierney, Linda Darnell, Joan Bennett, et. al., I'm much more drawn to those I talk to and spend time with.

And you really did hit on it with me, film, and this board.  Film is a great way to learn a person.  Especially if you discuss the film. A person will quickly reveal their personality to you with what they like and dislike about a film.  What draws them in and what turns them off.  Even something as boring and tiresome as lists tells me a lot about a person.  Heck, if the person complains about making lists and fires off reasons why they can't do lists lets me know some things.  But it's discussion where I can unearth so much about a person.  And since films are about people and scenarios, it really opens the door to how a person is.

Movies are a common bond people can use to share "who they are" in a lot of different settings in life. I mean.. take this message board for example. I have made some very good friends here, and many of them are very different from me in the way they think, or how they view life in general. We are not always going to see eye to eye with everyone we meet.. and we might not even have anything in common to discuss or share at all "in the real world" sometimes. But HERE.. we are friends and we can find common ground, no matter our other differences  (where we come from, what we think about this or that other sorts of topics, etc) And it all comes from our mutual enjoyment of "gabbing and blabbing" about the various themes, and characters, and story lines we find in the movies we discuss.

Very cool.   

You got it!  I have spent hours upon hours with people who are much different than me because of classic film.  I find that fascinating and rewarding.  I have actually grown quite a bit since I first joined this board in 2007.  And it's because of my discussions here, actually.  I've been taught some lessons.  There's one tough teacher in particular that has really shaped me a lot.

The thing is, you have been to be willing to trust others with your hand.  You have to want to broaden your horizons and explore different things.  Even if it is just film.  But if you do, you are going to find out more about yourself.  Even if you are watching the favorites of others, you are going to affect who you are the most.  At least that has been my own experience.

I will look forward to hearing from you on it sometime. Because hey.. he IS after all a "Pig of Destiny" ha. (another favorite line) :D

I have struck out on Babe and Unbreakable, thus far.  But we will see.

Will keep thinking of movies to suggest. (ha.. but so far not having much luck.. I DID think of one.. Union Pacific, 1939, but it is not as easy to find, and as I recall, it was not as popular w/ others as it was with me (I remember really liking it.. but not to many others said so) and I have only seen it ONCE and that was years ago.. so I wouldn't even be able to chat much w/ you on it.. so will try to come up with a better one to suggest than that)

You found one!  I have not seen Union Pacific and I do have it on DVD.  It's a film the New England lass has suggested to me in the past, as well.  So now I have one from you and Movieman.  We need to get Teach to find one for me.