Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

Howdy there, Miss G, 

They went "overboard" with the lovers when all I wanted was the lovers to jump overboard, ha.

Here's the next best thing.. ha. If only they could have done this in the REAL movie.. ha. (that movie would have been a whole lot shorter!) :D    

(sorry it's in Spanish... but you get the idea)  :D

i think that it is so very exciting that you're going to do a classic film appreciation class!

Thanks for your kind words and for the encouragement too. I am NO kind of "expert" on this or any other topic.. ha...except maybe for what I LIKE... (or don't like)  ha. Boy, I know all about THAT! :D

And that is what makes coming here to gab about classic movies so much fun.. I can say what I liked (or didn't like) about a movie and why... and I don't HAVE to be an expert in the history of film, or filmmaking, etc. to enjoy the story or the characters, etc.  So coming at it from that perspective,  I am hoping to pick some films they will enjoy watching and ones that will maybe motivate them to try MORE classics (if they are willing to expand their movie-watching horizons a little) This is a total experiment, ha. So we'll see how it goes. 

I have to admit that I had to grow up to appreciate John Ford's movies, except for Mogambo.

And I have to admit.. ha.. for whatever reason that is one Fordie I have NEVER watched.. I have no idea why, other than for some reason.. I just can't motivate myself to do it.. despite the high praise  you and others have given it. (ha.. maybe it is one of those "tomato" things for me. HA! :D

I will make a point of seeking it out soon..and if I can find it I will report back to your JF thread to discuss! (at last!) :)

PS: SF.. Congrats to you and Mr.C. Best wishes to you both.  

HELLO there Mr. Grey..

I just wanted to drop you a quick note to say I will reply further to your excellent commentary on your latest list.  I really enjoyed reading it a lot. I watched one of the youtubes last night too.. (Ha.. as to which one it was.. You'll find out!!) HA (hint, hint) :D Will come back later when I can chat more.. 

But for now, I just HAD to come back in here and say.. what???????? YOU watched Frozen???????????????????????????? 

Ha.. what oh WHAT sort of parallel universe have i landed in where that could even be POSSIBLE! :P 

Lady and the Tramp.. Dumbo.. and now THIS! Where is Frank Grimes and WHAT have you done with him??? I have GOT to see that contemporary list now. I am on the edge of my seat. :D

HI EVERYONE AND JACK-IN-THE-BOX!!!

I just had to comment on some of this list! It's simply fantasmagorical!!

1. The Fastest Gun Alive (1956) -- A pretty good western with a little bit of a High Noon current to it.  Glenn Ford plays a rather different kind of western protagonist.  One that fascinated me.  And the deeper the story got, the more interesting he became.  Even when you think you have him figured out, more is revealed.  Broderick Crawford plays the baddie in this one.  He's very "Broderick", gruffly barking all over the place.  Jeanne Crain plays Ford's wife.  She's as beautiful as ever here, playing a stressed pregnant wife.  While not a demanding role for her, she does have a presence in the film.  John Dehner, Leif Erickson, Allyn Joslyn, and Noah Beery, Jr. comprise a good supporting cast.

Glenn and Jeanne!! YAY!!! This is a favorite of mine with Mr. Ford. He is so handsome in it and I love the story! You're right about Jeanne! She is so captivating and really shows that presence even though her part isn't as big as Glenn's. I really love the chemistry they put forth and you can really see the stress that both of them carry from different angles and the things they are worrying about - her with their relationship and wanting him to settle down and him with wanting to prove something with himself and to her and everyone else.

Never Take Candy from a Stranger (1960) -- You want to talk about creepy, you want to talk about this film.  The beginning of the film sets the stage perfectly.  It's a very unsettling opening to a picture.  From there, the film presents what to do about what has happened.  The final act solves it for us.  For a film in 1960, this is a strong one in terms of content.  What's the subject matter?  A creepy, old rich man and two preteen girls.  You can use your imagination from there.

I talked to you about this one already, but I did watch it a loooong time ago and I remember being very disturbed by the whole concept of it. I'm not sure why I ever watched it, but I also didn't like the ending at ALL! It freaked me out, as a little girl watching it. And no, my grandmother did not put me up to watching that one. I'm surely if she ever knew I was going to watch it, she would have pitched a major fit. heehee!

Diamonds Are Forever (1971) -- This is my least favorite of the Bond films I have watched but I still like it enough to place it ahead of other films.  I'm not sure why, though.  I guess my liking Bond films and my liking Sean Connery as Bond are the biggest reasons why.  I did find Sean to be funny in this one.  But the entire story and its undertaking was rather weak for Bond.

I liked this one! Any Connery Bond is a good movie, silly goose!! Heehee! :P The story is a little weaker than his others, but still, he's great in it! Did you like the Bond girl at all?

Bad Blonde (The Story of Miss Goddess) (1953)

Boy you're gonna push the envelope today aren't ya? :D I'm here to defend you, dahlink!

11. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) -- I was very into the beginning of this film and the end.  Basically, whenever the stepmother was around, I was interested.  The middle of the film drags for me because the dwarfs drain me.  They wear me out.  I love the scenes with Snow White and the animals, though.  The music is consistently good in the film.  And I love how Snow White is drawn and animated.  She has a such a magnificent look to her.  I can't believe how dark the opening is.  Bring me her heart!  Wow!

You want every girl's heart!! Heehee! Of course the wicked step-mother would fascinate you! You're so weird!! :P Didn't the dwarfs at least entertain you in the slightest bit? Dopey is too cute not to like!! They are adorable! How could they drain you?

12. The Walking Dead (1936) -- A rather unique film that combines the gangster and horror genres quite nicely.  Boris Karloff is wrongly accused and ends up frying for it.  But is he completely dead?  Welcome to horror.  Karloff is out for revenge and how he exacts this revenge is interesting.  What really helps elevate this film are the cast of baddies.  You get Ricardo Cortez, Barton MacLane, and Joe Sawyer.  They are all excellent.  Kindly Edmund Gwenn plays the doctor who helps aid Karloff.  This is a quality Karloff flick.

You know how you said I don't like old gangster films? I actually don't mind this one! It keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time and I was entertained! So I'm gonna stick my tongue out at that one. Heehee! It also helps that adorable Edmond Gwenn in the doctor.

15. The Jungle Book (1967) -- After watching the wonderful live-action version of this story earlier this year, I came to this version with some expectations.  My expectations weren't met.  I found this offering to be much less.  Still, I enjoyed it enough because of Baloo (Phil Harris), George Sanders, and the songs.

You were just like Ben M when it came to this one. He hadn't seen it until right before this year's festival and then came on stage to present it. I thought that was funny and how he then proceeded to tell us how his parents apparently hated him for not showing it to him earlier. Heehee! You didn't like Balou? He's you! Goofy and carefree!

16. 101 Dalmations (1961) -- Thank goodness for Cruella de Vil (Betty Lou Gerson)!  She makes the film for me.  The puppies and their plight aren't nearly as interesting to me as Cruella.  I do like some of the supporting characters, such as the Colonel (J. Pat O'Malley).

Do you ever like the good guys? I'm just sayin'! Heehee! Cruella is interesting, but she tries to kill the cute little puppies! Who does that?! Heehee! :P:P

18. The Doctor Takes a Wife (1940) -- While watching this film, I could sense the modern woman gagging.  What starts off as a film speaking for feminism ends up with a woman looking to wait on her man, hand and foot.  That aside, I enjoyed this one.  I greatly enjoyed Loretta Young's disgust and jealousy and the snappy wisecracks those feelings created.  She's especially funny when making fun of the snobby Gail Patrick, who is wonderful in the film.  Ray Milland is also quite enjoyable, playing the male chauvinist pig professor/doctor.  One of my favorite scenes has Ray bouncing back and forth between apartments, trying to appease Gail and the brass from the university.  It reminded me of one of my favorite shows, Three's Company.

I've been waiting forever for you to see this!! It's one of my VERY favorites ever!! YAY!! Loretta is way too awesome for her own good in this with Milland. I just love the back and forth arguing they do. It makes me giggle non-stop! "Short Thumbs!" I love Chester, the migrained head experiment. Too cute! They treat the fake head like their child. Hilarious! And Edmond Gwenn again...SO LOVABLE! My favorite part is when he puckers his lips and makes multiple kissing sounds to Milland and tells him to kiss her. What will I do with him? I'll have to keep him for that! I like the physical comedy too! You're right, it's just like Jack in Three's company. But EWWW, Gail Patrick is so annoying in it. Why would he ever want to marry that? "Cookie wookie."....She's so needy and corny. Heehee! And I usually love corny!

19. Adventure (1945) -- Greer Garson with Clark Gable?  That ain't gonna work.  But, for some reason, it does for me.  And it's the kind of characters each plays that makes it work for me.  Greer plays a party pooper librarian and Clark is a loudmouthed captain of a ship.  The two cross paths thanks to Thomas Mitchell's "Mudgin", who is seeking information on his cursed soul at the library.  We all do that.  Gable and Greer clash from the start and their unlikely romance is hatched.  Mitchell is quite good as Gable's buddy and Joan Blondell is equally as good as Greer's easy-going roommate and friend.  Gable is right at home playing the "free" man and Greer is snug as the woman wishing he were around.  I liked seeing Greer in this film.  It is her character that goes through the roller coaster of emotions and evolves some.  I enjoyed that the most.  If you don't like Gable running at the mouth for an entire film, you need to skip this one.

GASP!! Greer!! I totally knew you would love to Joanie Blondell in this. She is your kind of girl. I love this one, because she throws a rock at him! Would you ever suspect my Greer to do a thing like that? Nope! She can do no wrong....Heehee! And don't you dare say she can! But I was REALLY surprised you liked this one and her character especially. I really didn't think you would go for the story of their pairing.

20. Margie (1946) -- I don't know how I could like a coming-of-age film about a high school girl but here we are.  While this film is nothing but fluff, it's enjoyable fluff.  Jeanne Crain is "Margie" and she's adorable.  Her and her bloomers.  I also loved Barbara Lawrence, who plays Miss Goddess.  Her of the rouge on the knees, the showing of skin, and the smooching of "Johnnykins".  Glenn Langan plays the French teacher that has all the girls a flutter.  Alan Young, "Wwwwwilbur" to me, is the goofy poet who is in love with Margie.  And Conrad Janis is "Johnnykins", Mr. Cool.  Nothing deep and everything sweet is what you'll get.

I have to gasp again for this one too. GASP!! Three of my favorite films back to back, I feel like I'm being spoiled by your reviews right now....wait, what's going on? You are up to something, I know it! :P You told me you didn't know who Conrad Janis was! 

"I say to you, take the marines out of Nicaragua!" - My aunt Jenny and I go back and forth with quotes from this. It's too funny! Jeanne Crain can't get any better than her adorable self here.

21. Betrayed (1954) -- Is that Lana Turner?!  She's a brunette?  And a spy?!  Well, whaddya know.  While this is not a top-notch spy film, I still found it entertaining because of the principles.  Namely, Victor Mature, who plays "The Scarf".  Mature is loads of fun in this one.  Lana is seen smacking and laying some smackers on Gable. She's also amorous with Vic.  Ohhhh, Lana.  I liked the ending.

I like this one too! Great choice! It's a great Lana film and really showcases her talent for me.

30. The Cobweb (1955) -- Is there anything more ludicrous than drapes as a key plot point?  Drapes?!  I surely hope Vincente Minnelli was mocking psychiatry with this one.  If it's serious... oh boy.  Thank goodness for Gloria Grahame.  Gloria was absolutely wonderful in this film.  Even though she's the evildoer in this one, she's still the most likable one!  What an interesting cast: Richard Widmark, Charles Boyer, Lauren Bacall, Lillian Gish, and Oscar Levant.  I found Susan Strasberg to be very cute in this one, too.  But those drapes!  Unbelievable!

You're obsessing with the silly drapes! Yes, they are pretty ridiculous, but I think they were trying to show a point to the patients. They were trying to teach them something, silly goose.

32. The Unguarded Hour (1936) -- Blackmail is the name of the game in this solid effort.  Loretta Young is the wife of Franchot Tone, a district attorney riding high.  The only problem is Franchot has a past and Henry Daniell lets Loretta know about it.  It's now up to Loretta to protect her husband's good name.  Nothing ever goes wrong when you do that.  The premise is better than its undertaking, but the film is very watchable.

Wow, this one rated really low in the list. I liked Roland Young's comic relief to the plot. His interactions to the story were easy going and great to watch. He always makes me laugh and is too cute for words. I think this is definitely a beautiful Loretta film. She is just strikingly gorgeous in every one of her 30's films, but I love her gowns in it. I know you laughed at me for that, but they make her look so glamorous and pretty! Her and Franchot Tone worked well for me too as an on-screen couple!

33. Terror Street (1953) -- Dan Duryea in film noir is almost always a winning combination with me.  Not in this one.  While Duryea is quite good, this story is lackluster.  As the story goes, Dan finds himself in a frame-up and he has 36 hours to clear his name.  That's the good.  Dan's journey to prove himself can be tedious at times.  We spend a good deal of time with him and a young woman (Elsie Albiin), as the two of them strike up a relationship.  This really slows the film and eliminates the tension.  The picture never recovers.

I really like Dan Duryea as a bad guy more than a good guy and this one definitely isn't a favorite of mine, but it's okay. He doesn't strike me as a very convincing good guy.

34. Third Finger, Left Hand (1940) -- Sometimes you feel like Melvyn Douglas, sometimes you don't. I wasn't going for him in this one.  I also didn't go for Myrna Loy too much, which is shocking.  It must be the script.  Myrna is the editor of a magazine that pretends to have a husband as a form of job security.  Melvyn takes a fancy to Myrna and soon discovers her guise.  He uses this to his advantage and the silliness of a romantic comedy ensues.  I'm usually pretty forgiving with these kind of films, but I just couldn't get into this one.

I know you didn't like this one, but I LOVE it and her screwy hats! How could you not like Myrna's personality in it? So cute! I can take or leave Melvyn Douglas's character, thoyhg

38. In the Navy (1941) -- I'm quickly learning that I don't like the early Abbott & Costello films because they are more about the music than the comedy.  I'm also not crazy about military settings, so this one barely got off the ground with me.

.....but but but, the music is so catchy and cute! And it makes you want to get up and swing to it!...well it makes me want to anyway. Heehee! And here, I thought you were softening!

43. White Cliffs of Dover (1940) -- Ugh!  I was very bored watching this one.  I do not like films that cover the life of a character and then throw big events at you.  One minute a baby is born, the next the father is killed, the next the grandparents are dead.  That stuff drives me nuts.  The setting is also a troublesome area for me.  I'm not big on the stiff British fare.  Then toss in the "rally around the flag" of the day and I'm jumping off the White Cliffs of Dover.

I am so sorry for making you watch that. I will never do it again, I promise! I'm still giggling at your reaction, which was past HILARIOUS. I'm serious, it was pretty epic. Heehee! But I did watch The Leopard Man for you, so I hope you're not too mad at me. :D:D  And I actually liked it!

Congrats to you and Mr.C. Best wishes to you both.  

I thank you for your kind words.

I might note for those who have longed to travel and might fear the worst: I can assure you that France remains there. It has not moved and it has not changed. Our little day-trips took us to Héricourt and Mulhouse and little villages along the way.

• Like 1

Hey there, Grey Dude.. 

Boy, you better have your typing fingers at the ready.. you've been getting some good responses to your list here. (woo hoo)  If only we had Ms Favell to chime in on some of these.. that would make it all the more fun to read for sure. 

Rohanaka says: they SHOULD have named that movie, "Hug, Hug, Kiss, Kiss.. and by the Way the Boat Sank" HA)

To which the Grey Dude replies:   You're quite the romantic!

And Rohanaka answers:  BAH!! That was not romance.. it was.. "Hollywood WANNA be Romance' . ugh. Mostly just what I said earlier.. hug, hug, kiss, kiss.. blah, blah, blah. ha. :D Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE a good romance story.. but well.. did I mention THAT wasn't one of them?? ha.

I am glad you liked A Night to Remember. It really was a very well-made rendition of such an overwhelming human tragedy. Not TOO heavy handed with the emotion.. but not just a "dry" documentary either.  Just a very well made film. We don't watch it too often, but when we do, it is always very gripping to see it all play out.. even though I already know what's coming. 

Union Pacific (1939) -- Quiet Gal's suggestion proves to be a good one! 

HOORAY!! I am glad you enjoyed it. (and hey.. #10 in a list that long.. I'll chalk it  up as a win!) at last! :D I WISH I could find a copy to watch again too.. but I have not had any luck locating the long lost vhs tape. I thought maybe the library would have had it.. but they don't. They did find a copy for me but it is in another library system that they cannot borrow from and I would have to go to them (way out of my way quite a distance from here) to get it.. and that wouldn't be so bad.. but then I would have to turn around and drive back to return it.. agh. Too many irons in my fire these days. But at any rate.. I am glad you enjoyed it. I will hope to see it again ONE of these days.. just to relive some of the things  you mentioned in your post. (because I DO remember enough to recall that I pretty much agree with the things you wrote. I especially liked those two guys that looked out for Joel McCrea's character that you mentioned.. can't remember anything specific, but I just remember getting a kick out of them) 

I have to say I truly do enjoy your commentary on the films on your list.. it really is fun to read  your thoughts on what you did and didn't find appealing (and why you may have rated one film over or below another) You have a good way of tying things up in a neat little package for each film, and it is a pleasure to read it. (ha.. even IF I don't always agree with some of the things you may say.. HA (yeah.. like that ever happens!!)  :rolleyes:

After reading through your comments I realized I had even seen a couple more films on the list than I realized.. The Kansas Raiders (I THINK I have seen it.. but don't remember much about it.. as I believe it was some time ago) and I KNOW I have also seen at least the "Sleepy Hollow" portion of the The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949) because I totally remember that chase scene (I found it on  youtube and started watching) and I also watched another portion.. where some big loud guy is singing about the headless horseman.. It has been SO long since I saw this I truly have little to no memory for it.. but I DO remember that I have seen it. (ha) and OH me.. as a side note.. watching that guy sing this time reminded me of a completely DIFFERENT Disney movie.. (with the big loud guy singing and warning people about a "monster" and there is even an ugly green-faced ghoulish "undertaker" looking guy in that video that looks like one of the characters in the OTHER movie I am thinking of too.. ha. (but he wasn't an undertaker, he was the "doctor" at a sanitarium) Have you seen Beauty and the Beast? I didn't see it on your list.. but I wonder if it is in your contemporary film list. 

The Fastest Gun Alive (1956) -- A pretty good western with a little bit of a High Noon current to it.  Glenn Ford plays a rather different kind of western protagonist

I really do hope I can get a copy of it.. it is really sounding like one I ought to see. So far no luck, but will keep an eye out for it. 

Lady and the Tramp (1955) -- Life on the leash!  Interestingly enough, I watched Out of Africa and Adventure before I watched this one and all three films featured a male fearing a settled (captive) life and a female wanting her man to live such a life with her.  The iconic spaghetti scene between Lady and "Tramp" is still magical to me.  It's such a lovely scene.  There's a later scene that is quite risque.  It leads to a litter.  I really enjoy the look of these classic Disney films.

I CANNOT believe you A) watched this film.. and B ) rated it that high.. wowsa. I am impressed. (but I am just impressed at ALL these Disney titles I am seeing.. you really stepped outside your "comfort zone" on this batch of movies.

I love Lady and the Tramp. I THINK saw it for the first time when I was an older teenager. (not out of high school yet)  and I have loved it ever since. I like it for all the reasons you listed. Its just a fun story.. and yet so very sweet. (and I am with Miss G.. ha. those cats singing "We are Si-a-mese" is one of my fave parts) The kidling loves this one too. This is one of the earliest Disney movies she ever saw.. and she still enjoys watching it. (though admittedly not as often as she used to) 

Dumbo (1941) -- What a trippy film with a strong motherly kick.  The cruelty of people.  I mean, elephants.  The film ends up being a great lesson in accepting differences.  But Society never makes this easy.  I love how Dumbo is drawn, particularly his facial expressions.  You can just feel his sadness and loneliness.  The scenes with the crows and "pink elephants" are wild.  I was not expecting any of it.  It was a loving ride that I enjoyed.

I have a special place in my heart for this film.. though I have to really pick and choose when I watch it, because it is hard on me. We don't own it.. but the kidling did used to check it out of the library now and then.. and AGH.. it is almost too emotional for me to watch at times. The relationship with Dumbo and his mother.. so tender. The way she rocks him to sleep from inside her cage.. agh.. I can't hardly even WRITE about this without tears welling up behind my eyes. ha. It really is an unusual film in a lot of ways.. with all the "social commentary" about the way both Dumbo and his mother are treated, all because of his differences. I really liked the way it showed how harsh and hurtful it can be to look down on a child.. just because they may not measure  up to the world's standards. Anyway.. like I said.. it is a very hard movie for me to watch.. but I do watch it now and then. 

Snow White atnd the Seven Dwarfs (1937) -- I was very into the beginning of this film and the end.  Basically, whenever the stepmother was around, I was interested. 

Ha.. don't you know?? Haven't  you heard?? We evil stepmothers are AWFUL. (why else do you think they call us "evil" ha). :D

I do confess.. the wicked queen IS pretty horrid. (even compared to me! ha) I think the only Disney/fairytale "stepmom" that might give her a run for her money MIGHT be the one in Cinderella.. she is not only evil.. she's just cruel. The one in SW is vicious.. but she just wants to kill the daughter and be done with it. The one in Cinderella plays "mind games" and really enjoys taunting and mistreating and abusing Cinderella and pretty much just goes about making her life miserable. I don't know.. it really is a toss up between them. 

The middle of the film drags for me because the dwarfs drain me.  They wear me out.  

OH no.. I l-o-v-e LOVE those guys.. agh! They make the movie for me! (Grumpy and Dopey are my faves)

I love the scenes with Snow White and the animals, though.  The music is consistently good in the film.  And I love how Snow White is drawn and animated.  She has a such a magnificent look to her.

You are right.. she IS lovely.. she has to be.. she was the "fairest of them all"  But her VOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! (agh.. talk about DRAINING!! ha. Who needs a bunch of dwarves to chase you down.. that voice about drives ME over a cliff!!)    :P

The Walking Dead (1936) -- A rather unique film that combines the gangster and horror genres quite nicely.  Boris Karloff is wrongly accused and ends up frying for it.

I watched a clip of this film on youtube.. and now I totally want to see it. I like "early" Karloff (much more than later films he made) He really had a way to just chill your bones sometimes. 

101 Dalmations (1961) -- Thank goodness for Cruella de Vil (Betty Lou Gerson)!  She makes the film for me.  The puppies and their plight aren't nearly as interesting to me as Cruella.  I do like some of the supporting characters, such as the Colonel (J. Pat O'Malley).

I have never been HUGE on this one.. but I do like the animals (I really like the cat that helps them.. Tibbs?) And I agree. Cruella is wonderfully HORRID, ha. But even if I am not too huge a fan, I have to say.. this is one of the kidling's all time favorites. (she is a HUGE dog lover, so it is not surprise) When she was younger she used to get out all her stuffed dogs  (she doesn't have QUITE 101, ha.. but she has more than enough) and she would set them all up in front of the tv and watch this movie with them.. and whenever the dogs would bark..she'd pick up a handful of her stuffed dogs and make them all "bark" too. HA! It was too cute.. those were the days.

She still likes to quote the one fat puppy every now and then.. she'll come up to me and make her best "puppy face" and look as if she's begging and say, "I'm hungry mother.. I really am" ha. (so pitifu!! But I mean that in a cute way) ha. 

I am really interested in your "contemporary list" because so far.. my most fave Disney animated movies are not on here.. ha. I remember you said that you watched UP and Monster's Inc (love it!)  If you have not already seen them.. I think you should also watch Toy Story, The Lion King, Aladdin, and I already mentioned.. Beauty and the Beast. I think it would be a tie between UP and maybe Aladdin for my two most fave animated Disney's of all time (and THEN maybe Lady and the Tramp)  but I really like these others I am mentioning too.  OH.. and yes.. we need to discuss FROZEN as well. OH me, oh MY!! I am still not believing that  you watched THAT one. Ha.

Golly.. All this talk about Disney movies.. I MAY have to go over to the list thread and make a list of my favorite animated Disney films.. ha. (if I were a list maker.. that is) :D

I'd say The Death Kiss would be the one you'd like the most. 

I will try to watch that one next. I also want to watch the Devil Bat (ha.. don't ask me why.. but it sounds like fun) And I also will watch Framed.. the one  you said you were going to watch soon.

I watched YFO last night.. ha. May I just say.. I am with Miss G.. a little Kay goes a LONG long way. (he was entertaining... some of the time) ha. But all in all it was a fun movie. I do confess I enjoyed it.. but can't say I would watch it again anytime soon. ha. 

Gideon's Day

I am hoping I can find it.. so far no luck, but will keep an eye out for it. 

Charlie Chan.

I have NO idea what it IS about that guy.. ha but I am having a hard time giving in to him. ha. You have recommended him to me before (but I won't hold THAT against him.. ha) I know I have seen a few CC films (way back when I was a kid) but I have virtually little to no memory. I will make a point of at least TRYING to watch one.. what one should I start with.. you've seen several. Is there one you think I would like better than another? 

There's about 25 contemporary films that I have watched and I'd guess you have seen half of them.  I'll look into Hugo

I am very interested in seeing what is on that list.. ha. You are a constant surprise to me, these days. I think (hope) you would really enjoy Hugo (PS, Miss. G.. I  hope you get to watch it soon too) If I recall correctly, Jackie has also seen this film and she liked it as well. It is a very unexpected sort of story.. very unusual film.. and I have to say it was something I really wasn't too interested in at first.. but then I read some things others had said about it.. and checked into it..and then when the Oscars came out.. I saw some clips.. and I found a copy one day at the store and it was reasonably priced, so I gave it a try.. and I really liked it a lot (The QT did too) I hope you can give it a try. 

PS: HELLOOOOO there, little Miss Butterscotchie!! (or should I say.. MRS. Butterscotchie.. boy oh boy.. it is newlywed city around here, these days!) :D  Lovely to see your name on the board, little darlin'. :

• Like 1

G'day, Quiet Gal -- Boy, you better have your typing fingers at the ready.. you've been getting some good responses to your list here. (woo hoo)  If only we had Ms Favell to chime in on some of these.. that would make it all the more fun to read for sure. 

I see!  And I do hope Jackie eventually returns.  She is sorely missed.

And Rohanaka answers:  BAH!! That was not romance.. it was.. "Hollywood WANNA be Romance' . ugh. Mostly just what I said earlier.. hug, hug, kiss, kiss.. blah, blah, blah. ha. :D Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE a good romance story.. but well.. did I mention THAT wasn't one of them?? ha.

It's the kind of romance that you reject!

I am glad you liked A Night to Remember. It really was a very well-made rendition of such an overwhelming human tragedy. Not TOO heavy handed with the emotion.. but not just a "dry" documentary either.  Just a very well made film. We don't watch it too often, but when we do, it is always very gripping to see it all play out.. even though I already know what's coming. 

You and the over-emotional!

HOORAY!! I am glad you enjoyed it. (and hey.. #10 in a list that long.. I'll chalk it  up as a win!) at last! :D I WISH I could find a copy to watch again too.. but I have not had any luck locating the long lost vhs tape. I thought maybe the library would have had it.. but they don't. They did find a copy for me but it is in another library system that they cannot borrow from and I would have to go to them (way out of my way quite a distance from here) to get it.. and that wouldn't be so bad.. but then I would have to turn around and drive back to return it.. agh. Too many irons in my fire these days. But at any rate.. I am glad you enjoyed it. I will hope to see it again ONE of these days.. just to relive some of the things  you mentioned in your post. (because I DO remember enough to recall that I pretty much agree with the things you wrote. I especially liked those two guys that looked out for Joel McCrea's character that you mentioned.. can't remember anything specific, but I just remember getting a kick out of them) 

I can see where you would really go for Union Pacific.  It's more about action, adventure, and comedy.  It really is a crowd pleaser.  The drama is left to a minimum, but it's well placed.  The only place in the film where I wasn't too keen was the big train crash and the Indians.  But I really enjoyed the rest of the film.  It had a good pace, fun characters, and entertaining scenes.

I have to say I truly do enjoy your commentary on the films on your list.. it really is fun to read  your thoughts on what you did and didn't find appealing (and why you may have rated one film over or below another) You have a good way of tying things up in a neat little package for each film, and it is a pleasure to read it. (ha.. even IF I don't always agree with some of the things you may say.. HA (yeah.. like that ever happens!!)  :rolleyes:

Awwww, that is a sweet of you to say.  Thank you for doing so.  I'm not going to post as many at once from now on.  I'm hoping to post about twenty at a time.  That is much less daunting.  I was going to post after I watch a film, but that becomes nearly impossible because discussions are ongoing.

After reading through your comments I realized I had even seen a couple more films on the list than I realized.. The Kansas Raiders (I THINK I have seen it.. but don't remember much about it.. as I believe it was some time ago)

It's not a memorable film.  Audie as "Jesse James" is what makes it out of the ordinary.

and I KNOW I have also seen at least the "Sleepy Hollow" portion of the The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949) because I totally remember that chase scene (I found it on  youtube and started watching) and I also watched another portion.. where some big loud guy is singing about the headless horseman.. It has been SO long since I saw this I truly have little to no memory for it.. but I DO remember that I have seen it. (ha) and OH me.. as a side note.. watching that guy sing this time reminded me of a completely DIFFERENT Disney movie.. (with the big loud guy singing and warning people about a "monster" and there is even an ugly green-faced ghoulish "undertaker" looking guy in that video that looks like one of the characters in the OTHER movie I am thinking of too.. ha. (but he wasn't an undertaker, he was the "doctor" at a sanitarium) Have you seen Beauty and the Beast? I didn't see it on your list.. but I wonder if it is in your contemporary film list. 

I just may have watched Beauty and the Beast.  And the guy you speak of in "The Legend of Sleep Hollow" is Brom Bones.  He's the one who tells the story of the Headless Horseman to Ichabod.

I really do hope I can get a copy of it.. it is really sounding like one I ought to see. So far no luck, but will keep an eye out for it. 

Of all the films I watched that you haven't seen, you would like The Fastest Gun Alive the most.

I CANNOT believe you A) watched this film.. and B ) rated it that high.. wowsa. I am impressed. (but I am just impressed at ALL these Disney titles I am seeing.. you really stepped outside your "comfort zone" on this batch of movies.

It all started with Frozen.  Since I could have been going to "Frozen on Ice", I figured I'd better watch the film.  And since my sister-in-law has a big collection of Disney films on DVD, I decided to start watching them.  I've been wanting to watch the classics since they are in the realm of classic film.

I love Lady and the Tramp. I THINK saw it for the first time when I was an older teenager. (not out of high school yet)  and I have loved it ever since. I like it for all the reasons you listed. Its just a fun story.. and yet so very sweet. (and I am with Miss G.. ha. those cats singing "We are Si-a-mese" is one of my fave parts) The kidling loves this one too. This is one of the earliest Disney movies she ever saw.. and she still enjoys watching it. (though admittedly not as often as she used to) 

I remember seeing it when I was very young. Probably eight years old or younger.  When I started to make my own decisions on what to watch, the old Disney films went out the window.

I have a special place in my heart for this film.. though I have to really pick and choose when I watch it, because it is hard on me. We don't own it.. but the kidling did used to check it out of the library now and then.. and AGH.. it is almost too emotional for me to watch at times. The relationship with Dumbo and his mother.. so tender. The way she rocks him to sleep from inside her cage.. agh.. I can't hardly even WRITE about this without tears welling up behind my eyes. ha. It really is an unusual film in a lot of ways.. with all the "social commentary" about the way both Dumbo and his mother are treated, all because of his differences. I really liked the way it showed how harsh and hurtful it can be to look down on a child.. just because they may not measure  up to the world's standards. Anyway.. like I said.. it is a very hard movie for me to watch.. but I do watch it now and then. 

I figured the mother component would score highly for you.  It's one of the better "mother" films that I have seen.  To know your child is different than the rest is never an easy thing to deal with it but it can bring you even closer to them.  I'm always fascinated by how Society dictates our feelings, even though many people like to think differently.  They are unaware of the pull.  Heaven forbid you are different than the communal held beliefs.

Ha.. don't you know?? Haven't  you heard?? We evil stepmothers are AWFUL. (why else do you think they call us "evil" ha). :D

I'm learning fast, oh Fairest One of All!

I do confess.. the wicked queen IS pretty horrid. (even compared to me! ha) I think the only Disney/fairytale "stepmom" that might give her a run for her money MIGHT be the one in Cinderella.. she is not only evil.. she's just cruel. The one in SW is vicious.. but she just wants to kill the daughter and be done with it. The one in Cinderella plays "mind games" and really enjoys taunting and mistreating and abusing Cinderella and pretty much just goes about making her life miserable. I don't know.. it really is a toss up between them. 

Cinderella is on the docket for me.  I do know the story some, so I know what you speak of.  And I agree, the stepmother is more wicked in "Cinderella".  But the shock of hearing the Queen tell the hunter to kill her was remarkable.

OH no.. I l-o-v-e LOVE those guys.. agh! They make the movie for me! (Grumpy and Dopey are my faves)

They k-i-l-l KILL me in a bad way!  Grumpy was the only one that I cared about.  And you would definitely be Grumpy!

You are right.. she IS lovely.. she has to be.. she was the "fairest of them all"  But her VOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! (agh.. talk about DRAINING!! ha. Who needs a bunch of dwarves to chase you down.. that voice about drives ME over a cliff!!)    :P

I was actually okay with her singing voice.  Probably because I was exposed to Jeanette MacDonald with Ernst Lubitsch.

I watched a clip of this film on youtube.. and now I totally want to see it. I like "early" Karloff (much more than later films he made) He really had a way to just chill your bones sometimes. 

I love Karloff!  And I do agree, his earlier films tend to be best.  Although I really like the middle of his career, too.

I have never been HUGE on this one.. but I do like the animals (I really like the cat that helps them.. Tibbs?) And I agree. Cruella is wonderfully HORRID, ha. But even if I am not too huge a fan, I have to say.. this is one of the kidling's all time favorites. (she is a HUGE dog lover, so it is not surprise) When she was younger she used to get out all her stuffed dogs  (she doesn't have QUITE 101, ha.. but she has more than enough) and she would set them all up in front of the tv and watch this movie with them.. and whenever the dogs would bark..she'd pick up a handful of her stuffed dogs and make them all "bark" too. HA! It was too cute.. those were the days.

Now that's adorable!  I would probably like the film more if I knew my child reacted that way to it.  But I'm with you, I wasn't too enthused with 101 Dalmations.  There is some good fear with the worry of the pups being captured.  But it wasn't enough for me.

She still likes to quote the one fat puppy every now and then.. she'll come up to me and make her best "puppy face" and look as if she's begging and say, "I'm hungry mother.. I really am" ha. (so pitifu!! But I mean that in a cute way) ha. 

That's funny!  That is pitiful!

I am really interested in your "contemporary list" because so far.. my most fave Disney animated movies are not on here.. ha. I remember you said that you watched UP and Monster's Inc (love it!)  If you have not already seen them.. I think you should also watch Toy Story, The Lion King, Aladdin, and I already mentioned.. Beauty and the Beast. I think it would be a tie between UP and maybe Aladdin for my two most fave animated Disney's of all time (and THEN maybe Lady and the Tramp)  but I really like these others I am mentioning too.  OH.. and yes.. we need to discuss FROZEN as well. OH me, oh MY!! I am still not believing that  you watched THAT one. Ha.

My classic film list is all before the 70s with the exception of Diamonds Are Forever.  I decided to sneak that in since it was Sean Connery.  There are 25 films on my contemporary list, and I believe over half are animated.

Golly.. All this talk about Disney movies.. I MAY have to go over to the list thread and make a list of my favorite animated Disney films.. ha. (if I were a list maker.. that is) :D

That would be terrific!  Then I can use that as a guide.  Such lists are very helpful to me.

I will try to watch that one next. I also want to watch the Devil Bat (ha.. don't ask me why.. but it sounds like fun) And I also will watch Framed.. the one  you said you were going to watch soon.

If you go into The Devil Bat with the idea of it being cheesy horror fun, you will appreciate it.

I watched YFO last night.. ha. May I just say.. I am with Miss G.. a little Kay goes a LONG long way. (he was entertaining... some of the time) ha. But all in all it was a fun movie. I do confess I enjoyed it.. but can't say I would watch it again anytime soon. ha. 

Ha!  I think I liked it so much because it reminded me a lot of Scooby Doo, which is one of my all-time favorites.  I like the "scaredy cat" horror films.  Also, I loved seeing Bela, Karloff, and Peter all together.

I am hoping I can find it.. so far no luck, but will keep an eye out for it. 

I think you'd like Gideon's Day well enough.

I have NO idea what it IS about that guy.. ha but I am having a hard time giving in to him. ha. You have recommended him to me before (but I won't hold THAT against him.. ha) I know I have seen a few CC films (way back when I was a kid) but I have virtually little to no memory. I will make a point of at least TRYING to watch one.. what one should I start with.. you've seen several. Is there one you think I would like better than another? 

The reason why I think you'd like Charlie is because he's a forensics detective.  He's usually brilliant with the deduction.  He's also a parent.  He's constantly dealing with a son and sometimes his many children.  Lots of wise sayings for the kids.  He's also very witty.  The films are not very long, which makes them feel more like a television show.  And I think that's part of the appeal of Charlie Chan.

Charlie Chan in Paris is my favorite, thus far.  That's Warner Oland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6cvj8aZ7Tc

PS: HELLOOOOO there, little Miss Butterscotchie!! (or should I say.. MRS. Butterscotchie.. boy oh boy.. it is newlywed city around here, these days!) :D  Lovely to see your name on the board, little darlin'. :

Careful with the Newlywed City talk!

Well hello Ichabod.. ha. (or are you Brom.. or are you Gaston???????) :D

I did some googling around and I actually found a site that talks about different Disneys.. and I guess I wasn't so out in left field after all because according to what  I read, that Brom character WAS an inspiration for Gaston (in Beauty and the Beast) No mention of hte ghoulish, undertaker-looking guy, (but I swear there is one in LofSH that looks almost exactly the same as B and TB... creepy!)

I can see where you would really go for Union Pacific.  It's more about action, adventure, and comedy.  It really is a crowd pleaser.  The drama is left to a minimum, but it's well placed.  The only place in the film where I wasn't too keen was the big train crash and the Indians.  But I really enjoyed the rest of the film.  It had a good pace, fun characters, and entertaining scenes.

You have it described just right.. good pace, fun characters, and entertaining scenes (at least that is how I remember it) and ha.. I LIKED the train wreck too. :D

It all started with Frozen.  Since I could have been going to "Frozen on Ice", I figured I'd better watch the film.  And since my sister-in-law has a big collection of Disney films on DVD, I decided to start watching them.  I've been wanting to watch the classics since they are in the realm of classic film.

Well who knew??  ha. You are a man full of surprises. I think it is sweet that you wanted to be prepared for "Frozen" just in case you got to fill in for your brother. You are a good uncle. :)   So I guess we can give sweet little Scarlett the credit for pushing you into this next new facet of movie-watching for you. :)

I remember seeing it when I was very young. Probably eight years old or younger.  When I started to make my own decisions on what to watch, the old Disney films went out the window

And see, for some reason I really had not seen TOO many of the Disney animated films until I was an adult (or close to it) Either my parents just didn't take us.. or they just weren't making that many in the era while I was growing up. We DID go see some Disney films at the theater.. but they weren't animated. (stuff like The Love Bug, or The Shaggy D.A. The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Ugly Dachshund. The Apple Dumpling Gang, etc) So I was a bit late in discovering some of the classic Disney's myself (which MAY be a part of the reason why I prefer more of the 80's ones.. I am not huge on most of the "princess" ones.. or the "sweeter" ones.. save the two that you rated so highly. (Lady and the Tramp, and Dumbo) But still.. there are some true gems in those older Disney's.. the artistry alone makes them worth watching. Some of them are utterly gorgeous.. far superior to the "high tech" stuff even that is turned out these days.. at least in the way they were created and drawn. 

I figured the mother component would score highly for you.  It's one of the better "mother" films that I have seen.  To know your child is different than the rest is never an easy thing to deal with it but it can bring you even closer to them.  I'm always fascinated by how Society dictates our feelings, even though many people like to think differently.  They are unaware of the pull.  Heaven forbid you are different than the communal held beliefs

It is NEVER easy to watch your child struggle socially. (I think it is almost harder than to see them struggle in other ways, sometimes) just because it is so challenging to resist the urge to protect them from all the harsh criticism that the world will often throw at them. But even if  you are "over protective" now and then, sometimes you HAVE to let them go through it because you CAN'T always spare them from everything. But boy.. having said that, you do HAVE to spare them from some things. Sometimes. It is an ugly world out there, and kids (and grownups too) can often be unkind. We all want to make OURSELVES look good in most situations.. and for some people, the easiest way to do that is to point out the flaws in others. Sad.. but true. 

They k-i-l-l KILL me in a bad way!  Grumpy was the only one that I cared about.  And you would definitely be Grumpy!

Ha.. well thanks for saying that I wasn't DOPEY! :D (but hey.. I can't be Grumpy.. I can't be the evil Stepmother AND one of the dwarves all at the same time can I?? Hmm.. Maybe I am DOC) :D

I love Karloff!  And I do agree, his earlier films tend to be best.  Although I really like the middle of his career, too.

Well in all honesty, I haven't seen a LARGE number of his films.. but I just know that of the ones I  have seen, I like the earlier ones better. And  you are right about You'll find out. One of the best parts of that whole film was having Karloff, Lugosi, and Lorre, all there together. (Oh me.. was that Peter Lorre CREEPPPYY with those teeth!! agh!!) :D It DID feel very ,much like a "Scooby" movie.. ha. (right down to pulling off the mask of the fake ghost,ha) It also was a bit  "Abbot and Costtello-ish too, (I think I remember you saying something like that)

That would be terrific!  Then I can use that as a guide.  Such lists are very helpful to me.

I will see if I can figure something out. ha. I hate making lists.. but that might be one I could handle. (I may even give some honorable mention to a few non-Disneys.. because there are some pretty fun ones that have come out over the last several years that I really like as well)  It may be a day or two.. I need to get off of here for now.. and I have some stuff going on later tonight too, so we'll see what I can put together later. 

The reason why I think you'd like Charlie is because he's a forensics detective.  He's usually brilliant with the deduction.  He's also a parent.  He's constantly dealing with a son and sometimes his many children.  Lots of wise sayings for the kids.  He's also very witty.  The films are not very long, which makes them feel more like a television show.  And I think that's part of the appeal of Charlie Chan.

Well, believe it or not..(as much as I HATE to agree with you.. HA) I think  you MAY be onto something.. I need to check him out, then, I guess. Because all of that sounds like "me". I will give him a look-see. (will start with him in Paris, and see what happens) :D

HI EVERYONE AND JACK-IN-THE-BOX!!!

Oh no!  Look who's back!

Glenn and Jeanne!! YAY!!! This is a favorite of mine with Mr. Ford. He is so handsome in it and I love the story! You're right about Jeanne! She is so captivating and really shows that presence even though her part isn't as big as Glenn's. I really love the chemistry they put forth and you can really see the stress that both of them carry from different angles and the things they are worrying about - her with their relationship and wanting him to settle down and him with wanting to prove something with himself and to her and everyone else.

And Jeanne pulls a "Lamby" in this one. The only difference is that Lamby pouts because she's childish.

I talked to you about this one already, but I did watch it a loooong time ago and I remember being very disturbed by the whole concept of it. I'm not sure why I ever watched it, but I also didn't like the ending at ALL! It freaked me out, as a little girl watching it. And no, my grandmother did not put me up to watching that one. I'm surely if she ever knew I was going to watch it, she would have pitched a major fit. heehee!

I bet she would have!  You were taking candy from a stranger!

Boy you're gonna push the envelope today aren't ya? :D I'm here to defend you, dahlink!

When don't I?!

You want every girl's heart!! Heehee! Of course the wicked step-mother would fascinate you! You're so weird!! :P Didn't the dwarfs at least entertain you in the slightest bit? Dopey is too cute not to like!! They are adorable! How could they drain you?

I don't have any girl's heart!  Y'all are too wise!  And I'm certainly a weirdo!  The dwarfs just annoyed the heck out of me.  I wanted the Queen to crush them with the boulder!

You know how you said I don't like old gangster films? I actually don't mind this one! It keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time and I was entertained! So I'm gonna stick my tongue out at that one. Heehee! It also helps that adorable Edmond Gwenn in the doctor.

Only you would use the word "adorable" with a horror film!

You were just like Ben M when it came to this one. He hadn't seen it until right before this year's festival and then came on stage to present it. I thought that was funny and how he then proceeded to tell us how his parents apparently hated him for not showing it to him earlier. Heehee! You didn't like Balou? He's you! Goofy and carefree!

Balou is what I liked about The Jungle Book.  Having seen the live-action film from the 40s caused me to like the animated version much less.  The villainy in the live-action flick is terrific.  I also think Sabu is terrific.

Do you ever like the good guys? I'm just sayin'! Heehee! Cruella is interesting, but she tries to kill the cute little puppies! Who does that?! Heehee! :P :P

Not in Disney films! :P I need someone to bring some good conflict to the story.  The better the villain, the better the film.

I've been waiting forever for you to see this!! It's one of my VERY favorites ever!! YAY!! Loretta is way too awesome for her own good in this with Milland. I just love the back and forth arguing they do. It makes me giggle non-stop! "Short Thumbs!" I love Chester, the migrained head experiment. Too cute! They treat the fake head like their child. Hilarious! And Edmond Gwenn again...SO LOVABLE! My favorite part is when he puckers his lips and makes multiple kissing sounds to Milland and tells him to kiss her. What will I do with him? I'll have to keep him for that! I like the physical comedy too! You're right, it's just like Jack in Three's company. But EWWW, Gail Patrick is so annoying in it. Why would he ever want to marry that? "Cookie wookie."....She's so needy and corny. Heehee! And I usually love corny!

Gail Patrick is the adorable one!  I loved her "Cookie wookie"!  So does Loretta! :D  I definitely enoyed the sparring between Loretta and Ray.  Both were stubborn jerks that came around.  I think she had short thumbs, too!

GASP!! Greer!! I totally knew you would love to Joanie Blondell in this. She is your kind of girl. I love this one, because she throws a rock at him! Would you ever suspect my Greer to do a thing like that? Nope! She can do no wrong....Heehee! And don't you dare say she can! But I was REALLY surprised you liked this one and her character especially. I really didn't think you would go for the story of their pairing.

You and your violence!  Always looking to hurt and kill!  Joan is her "good gal" self in this one.  She easily jumped into Gable's arms.  This got Greer jealous.  And Gable knew it!  I loved all of that.

I have to gasp again for this one too. GASP!! Three of my favorite films back to back, I feel like I'm being spoiled by your reviews right now....wait, what's going on? You are up to something, I know it! :P You told me you didn't know who Conrad Janis was! 

I didn't know who Conrad was!  Not until I watched the film.

"I say to you, take the marines out of Nicaragua!" - My aunt Jenny and I go back and forth with quotes from this. It's too funny! Jeanne Crain can't get any better than her adorable self here.

:)  She really is cute as "Margie".  Love her bloomers!  And Miss G is very funny in the film, too.

You're obsessing with the silly drapes! Yes, they are pretty ridiculous, but I think they were trying to show a point to the patients. They were trying to teach them something, silly goose.

I wasn't the only one obsessing with the drapes!

Wow, this one rated really low in the list. I liked Roland Young's comic relief to the plot. His interactions to the story were easy going and great to watch. He always makes me laugh and is too cute for words. I think this is definitely a beautiful Loretta film. She is just strikingly gorgeous in every one of her 30's films, but I love her gowns in it. I know you laughed at me for that, but they make her look so glamorous and pretty! Her and Franchot Tone worked well for me too as an on-screen couple!

Gowns?!  Now we see why you really love this film!  I usually don't like the mixing of comedy and drama in the 30s.  It always feels so odd to me.

I really like Dan Duryea as a bad guy more than a good guy and this one definitely isn't a favorite of mine, but it's okay. He doesn't strike me as a very convincing good guy.

You make a good point.  He really is more at home as a baddie.

I know you didn't like this one, but I LOVE it and her screwy hats! How could you not like Myrna's personality in it? So cute! I can take or leave Melvyn Douglas's character, thoyhg

Myrna wasn't very "Myrna" to me in this one.  She was playing her kind of character, the distrusting woman with the frigid wall in place.  But I didn't feel it with her, for some reason.  And I always love Myrna.  Strange.

.....but but but, the music is so catchy and cute! And it makes you want to get up and swing to it!...well it makes me want to anyway. Heehee! And here, I thought you were softening!

Not that soft!

I am so sorry for making you watch that. I will never do it again, I promise! I'm still giggling at your reaction, which was past HILARIOUS. I'm serious, it was pretty epic. Heehee! But I did watch The Leopard Man for you, so I hope you're not too mad at me. :D :D  And I actually liked it!

I needed the Leopard Man to show up in Dover!

Aloha, Sandpiper -- boy i got a couple of your titles completely mixed up with other movies.  sorry about that.

It must be the time difference!

I love the ending.  It was completely unexpected for me and I thought a great solution to glenn ford's "problem". :D

I would have really loved the ending if it was how it looked to be!  But what was done was very good, too.

I can't believe i never heard of this movie.  I like creepy movies from the 1960s.  is it on youtube?

Alas, it is not on YouTube.  But I watched the DVD, so it should be on Netflix.  I think you'd find it interesting.  It presents an interesting legal dilemma.  The ending is rather surprising.

I only saw it once and disliked it.  I think that's the one with Natalie Wood's sister, Lana, right?  My friend's fiance was married once to one of the other "Bond girls" in this movie, too.  I feel like there is an element of "sleaze" that creeps in the 70s bond films, bringing down the tone and overall quality of the scripts.

Yes, Lana is in this one.  I didn't know she was Natalie's sister until you mentioned it.  And your friend is marrying James Bond?  That should be interesting.  Love the sleaze!  I know you are very surprised to learn that. :P

It's a classic.  I would like to see it again, especially for the "We Are Si-A-Mese, If you Please" routine. ;)

And they only get that scene.  I expected them to make a return visit.  And I don't see you liking animated films.

Now this I would like to see!  I only know the Sleepy Hollow cartoon that used to be shown every year around this time, which I think is quite good.  The horseman in that always scared me.  Is this one scarier? 

Are they not the same one?  They eventually showed The Legend of Sleepy Hollow on its own.

I haven't seen Dumbo since I was a child.  I remember I had a book of it, too, and the picture of Dumbo up on that platform used to scare me (a lot of things used to scare me, lol).  I heard that this is a pretty "serious" film for a Disney cartoon, mostly for the themes you mention.   Wasn't it the last cartoon flick they did for a long time, too?

There are some scary scenes in Dumbo.  It's also rather sad with Dumbo being separated from his mother.  Bambi was after Dumbo in 1942 and then the next "big" Disney animated film is Cinderella, in 1950.

Where on earth did you find this one?  I don't remember seeing it when I was going through all the Hammer noirs via ClassicFlix.  I will try to rent it again.  Maybe I just forgot.

It's in the Hammer film noir collection, so you may have missed it or just don't recall it.  It's also known as The Flanagan Boy.

I'm afraid a little Kyser goes a long way with me.  He's like the other Kaye, Danny, for me.  A bit too manic.  But it is entertaining.  I've watched it on TCM twice I think.

I feel the same about Kyser.  But I felt the rest of the cast was used a lot, so he didn't dominate the picture.

i loved George as the tiger.  but i confess i have never been crazy about this story for some reason.  i read the Kipling story (or was it a poem?) and have seen Sabu's version.  none of them really got to me and i usually go for any kind of animal flick.  but i'm not all that crazy about the Tarzan pictures, either.  something about these "nature boys" doesn't really click with me, ha ha.

Why doesn't it surprise me to find out some penniless guy without clothes and poor manners doesn't float your boat? :D

I do like this movie, but I agree with you that the reasons are mostly nothing to do with the pups.  I like the opening the best, how the couple meet in the park.  cute.  i like that it's English, too, instead of being set in America.

I forgot about the beginning!  That was definitely my favorite part of the film outside of Cruella.

I don't care for this one.  I think I like Jimmy better as an angry neurotic. :rolleyes:

You don't like goofy guys!  Maybe Bob Hope.

Loretta's post 1930s work can be very hit and miss for me.  And I have never really cared for her in comedies for some reason.

I have seen more of Loretta in the 30s, I believe.  I mostly like her in that decade.  I thought she was very good in The Doctor Takes a Wife.

Is this the one where he plays the owner of a bookshop?

I don't think he's the owner, but he works at the bookshop.

I like diana.  I watched an old TV interview with her once and liked her from that before I'd seen any of her movies.  She was a very bright, witty woman.

I remember watching one of those interviews.  She really was fun and smart in that interview.

I know I've seen it but I don't remember it.  Are the bats up to par with bird in THE GIANT CLAW?  Bronxie needs to weigh in on this one!

I doubt they are on that level.  But it's funny to see them flying out Bela's window, shrieking in glee.

I saw this one not too long ago, and again, I have completely blanked out on the whole thing.  Yes, Paul went through a streak of plastic surgery gone awry flicks for some weird reason.

Liz Scott plays a dual role, including a cockney (I believe) gal.

I really liked this movie!  I know it's weird but A) I love movies set in the South of France, even bad ones B) I love the mood and tone.  I didn't like the ending, though.

I got tired of the "nobody believes me" from the young girl.

Oscar was the only one I liked.

Ha!  That's great!  And I can see you liking him the most.

The best thing about it was it kept me unsure about the woman until the end.  I couldn't tell if she was going to turn out bad or good.  I'm not big on Dane.

I know you are not crazy about Dane.

I've never heard of this film!  Where are you finding these???  Again at first I thought you meant another movie: The Unguarded Moment (Esther Williams).

It was a Sweet T suggestion because of Loretta Young.  It would have been even more shocking if I watched Esther!

I mostly enjoyed it but I don't remember much.  I think my favorite of these hammer noirs that I can recall was the one with Anne Baxter and the one with George Brent playing the bookshop owner and Diana Dors as the unlikely bookshop employee.

I'm not sure I have seen the Anne Baxter one just yet.

I don't like either of the films Powell made with Hedy.  they have no chemistry.

I'm hoping the other film is at least a little better.  It has to be!

The plot of the latter reminds me of one of the "Whistler" movies.  These movies are really enjoyable while you're watching, but they aren't that good and quite forgettable.  Yet I'm glad to watch them whenever they are on!

That is the perfect summation of these Hammer films noir.  Way to go!

Another movie I confused with a totally different film (with Greer Garson!).  this one I'm sure I've never seen.  That's too many Dane Clarks!!  And not his best by a long shot.

Greer in film noir!  That would be interesting!  Actually, I do believe Desire Me is pretty darn close to film noir.

It's scary that you're coming up with 1930s movies I never heard of!!

This was another Sweet T suggestion!  You're probably not frightened to know she knows these films.  She recommended it because of Irene Dunne.

Pip! Pip!

Hilarious!

Hey Mrs. Quiet Man!

Oh, I MISSED the boards so MUCH, but I got so busy with family and wedding stuff and trying to delegate things that I just didn't have the time I really wanted to come on here before the wedding. I'm sorry guys! But I'm back again! YAY! LET"S HAVE FUN!!!

PS: HELLOOOOO there, little Miss Butterscotchie!! (or should I say.. MRS. Butterscotchie.. boy oh boy.. it is newlywed city around here, these days!) :D  Lovely to see your name on the board, little darlin'.

Heehee! That made me giggle! Thank you Kathy! That was super sweet of you! It's definitely been an exciting journey so far.

• Like 1

Good morning Dahlink! Let's have a cuppa!!...well you're probably still asleep right now, but when you wake up, you can have one with me and I'll have one for lunch. Yeah, that's it!

Pip! Pip! :D

Did you like White Cliffs of Dover at all? Please tell me you liked it at least a little more than Ol' Frankie Cranky pants. Heehee!

You have me to blame for a few of his suggestions from the 30's. I'm SORRY! I'll never do it again! :D Love ya, does that count?!

By the way, I think  you might actually like the Doctor Takes a Wife. It's really good! I know you are usually hit or miss with Loretta's comedies, but this one was brilliant!

And don't you let Grimey push you around! We'll just get some devil's food cake and play "pie in the face". GASP! That sounds fun actually! Heehee!

It's definitely been an exciting journey so far.f

Oh, Little T...  my wish for you, dear girl.. is the best is yet to come. :) 

• Like 1

Well hello Ichabod.. ha. (or are you Brom.. or are you Gaston???????) :D

I would be Ichabod, for sure!  I'm the scaredy cat riding through the woods!

I did some googling around and I actually found a site that talks about different Disneys.. and I guess I wasn't so out in left field after all because according to what  I read, that Brom character WAS an inspiration for Gaston (in Beauty and the Beast) No mention of hte ghoulish, undertaker-looking guy, (but I swear there is one in LofSH that looks almost exactly the same as B and TB... creepy!)

Very good!  That's really interesting to learn.

You have it described just right.. good pace, fun characters, and entertaining scenes (at least that is how I remember it) and ha.. I LIKED the train wreck too. :D

I didn't like how there were only three survivors on the train wreck and wouldn't you know who they were.

Well who knew??  ha. You are a man full of surprises. I think it is sweet that you wanted to be prepared for "Frozen" just in case you got to fill in for your brother. You are a good uncle. :)   So I guess we can give sweet little Scarlett the credit for pushing you into this next new facet of movie-watching for you. :)

She's part of it.  But I also felt it was time to learn some animated films that everyone seems to know but me.  My one friend is also big on animated films, so I thought I'd watch them and share my thoughts with him.

And see, for some reason I really had not seen TOO many of the Disney animated films until I was an adult (or close to it) Either my parents just didn't take us.. or they just weren't making that many in the era while I was growing up. We DID go see some Disney films at the theater.. but they weren't animated. (stuff like The Love Bug, or The Shaggy D.A. The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Ugly Dachshund. The Apple Dumpling Gang, etc) So I was a bit late in discovering some of the classic Disney's myself (which MAY be a part of the reason why I prefer more of the 80's ones.. I am not huge on most of the "princess" ones.. or the "sweeter" ones.. save the two that you rated so highly. (Lady and the Tramp, and Dumbo) But still.. there are some true gems in those older Disney's.. the artistry alone makes them worth watching. Some of them are utterly gorgeous.. far superior to the "high tech" stuff even that is turned out these days.. at least in the way they were created and drawn. 

You are not a fan of the sweeter ones or Princess ones?  Shocking! :P  You need to avoid BitterSourGreer, then!

It is NEVER easy to watch your child struggle socially. (I think it is almost harder than to see them struggle in other ways, sometimes) just because it is so challenging to resist the urge to protect them from all the harsh criticism that the world will often throw at them. But even if  you are "over protective" now and then, sometimes you HAVE to let them go through it because you CAN'T always spare them from everything. But boy.. having said that, you do HAVE to spare them from some things. Sometimes. It is an ugly world out there, and kids (and grownups too) can often be unkind. We all want to make OURSELVES look good in most situations.. and for some people, the easiest way to do that is to point out the flaws in others. Sad.. but true. 

All of what you say is true.  The weak love to go after those who are different as a way to make them appear strong.  They often do this with the idea they are in the majority, which makes them righteous, in their mind.  I also feel a child needs to have their own time and space away from parents so that they can grow their own mind versus just being a simple reflection of their parents.  I'm big on individual development.  I'd want my child to make their own choices and have their own thoughts and opinions, even if they are much different than my own.  But I know the majority of parents are frightened of this thought, so they constantly oversee their child with an eye towards keeping them as they wish them to be.  As you know with me, I feel people always choose self as being correct.  The vanity I constantly speak of with people.  "Only I know what is right for my child."  I wish I thought so highly of myself!

I'm big on talking things out with people.  I especially talk feelings.  It's how a person feels not how they need to think.  Feelings are often honest.  Telling people how they need to feel is where things go wrong.

Ha.. well thanks for saying that I wasn't DOPEY! :D (but hey.. I can't be Grumpy.. I can't be the evil Stepmother AND one of the dwarves all at the same time can I?? Hmm.. Maybe I am DOC) :D

You are more "Grumpy" than the evil stepmother.  Dopey you are not!

Well in all honesty, I haven't seen a LARGE number of his films.. but I just know that of the ones I  have seen, I like the earlier ones better. And  you are right about You'll find out. One of the best parts of that whole film was having Karloff, Lugosi, and Lorre, all there together. (Oh me.. was that Peter Lorre CREEPPPYY with those teeth!! agh!!) :D It DID feel very ,much like a "Scooby" movie.. ha. (right down to pulling off the mask of the fake ghost,ha) It also was a bit  "Abbot and Costtello-ish too, (I think I remember you saying something like that)

I'm glad you liked the film on some level.  I really enjoy the "Scooby Doo" kind of films.  I always have.  I love A&C's horror films.  How many of these Karloff films have you seen?:

http://letterboxd.com/scotthbg/list/how-i-like-boris-karloff/

I will see if I can figure something out. ha. I hate making lists.. but that might be one I could handle. (I may even give some honorable mention to a few non-Disneys.. because there are some pretty fun ones that have come out over the last several years that I really like as well)  It may be a day or two.. I need to get off of here for now.. and I have some stuff going on later tonight too, so we'll see what I can put together later. 

I saw your lists!  They are exceptionally done!  And now I have a compass of what to watch to connect with you.  Now I need to get you to look into an actor or actress from the classic world that you like and have you list how you like their films.  You can skip John Wayne since I have seen so many of his films already.

Well, believe it or not..(as much as I HATE to agree with you.. HA) I think  you MAY be onto something.. I need to check him out, then, I guess. Because all of that sounds like "me". I will give him a look-see. (will start with him in Paris, and see what happens)

I hope you at least watch one Chan film.  They are fun little films.  Nothing intense but with enough depth to make them very enjoyable.  I love the early forensics stuff.

I would be Ichabod, for sure!  I'm the scaredy cat riding through the woods!

Ha.. well If you are a "scaredy cat" then I would a a "scardey CHEETAH" ha.. because if some headless guy with a sword and a flaming pumpkin WERE out there in the woods.. ha.. you'd have to ride even faster, because I am pretty sure I would leave you in the dust.. just trying to get away from him. :D  That guy has always creeped me out!  (woo.. too scary to be fun... almost) 

I didn't like how there were only three survivors on the train wreck and wouldn't you know who they were.

Now that  you say that.. it think I remember thinking how extreme it was that they were the only survivors.. but to be honest.. I don't remember it as well as that. I just remember thinking it was pretty well done. (in terms of disaster and mayhem) I do love a good crash. And as I recall.. it was a pretty good crash

(But this one would be my most fave movie crash ever.. I think.)  

And what you DON'T see in that clip was the BUS CRASH that happened just before the train hit.. it was very well done.. and yeah.. ha.. lots of mayhem. :D  And don't get me wrong.. I do not really go in for a lot of blood and guts in my mayhem.. but yeah.. a good crash, is pretty cool stuff if it is done well on screen. 

(HI.. my name is Ro, and I am a special FX junkie) :D

You are not a fan of the sweeter ones or Princess ones?  Shocking! 

I think it has a lot to do with the age at which I saw most of these movies. Because pretty much all of them were watched well after I was a "little" girl. I was at least an older teen by the time I saw some.. and pretty much well into my 20's, 30's, and BEYOND.. ha.. by the time I saw most of them. And another thing that plays a part too.. you have to consider that over the years I have seen some of these films 5, 10, 15 times or more. ha. So that sort of skews how much I like (or DON'T like) some of them. ha. The ones I like best.. I absoluetly love.. but the ones that I like "so-so".. pretty much are interchangeable.. and then the ones I REALLY don't like.. well.. those are the ones Mom hides from the kidling and never let them see the light of day again.. Ha! :D

(kidding..only kidding.. or AM I??) 

All of what you say is true.  The weak love to go after those who are different as a way to make them appear strong.  They often do this with the idea they are in the majority, which makes them righteous, in their mind. 

And sometimes it is very blatant.. but other times very subtle.. and to me the blatant is easier to fight. The "subtle" meanness is very harsh.. because it often only involves two people.. the victim-izer and the victim. That is harder to stand up to. 

I also feel a child needs to have their own time and space away from parents so that they can grow their own mind versus just being a simple reflection of their parents.  I'm big on individual development.  I'd want my child to make their own choices and have their own thoughts and opinions, even if they are much different than my own.  But I know the majority of parents are frightened of this thought, so they constantly oversee their child with an eye towards keeping them as they wish them to be.  As you know with me, I feel people always choose self as being correct.  The vanity I constantly speak of with people.  "Only I know what is right for my child."  I wish I thought so highly of myself!

I'm big on talking things out with people.  I especially talk feelings.  It's how a person feels not how they need to think.  Feelings are often honest.  Telling people how they need to feel is where things go wrong.

Well we have gone over this one before and I do agree with you to a certain degree. I think that children DO need to "grow their own mind" and I also absolutely agree that talking about feelings is essential. But helping a child learn about moral values and how to make sound choices isn't telling them how to FEEL. It's teaching them that no matter how you feel about something.. there are some things that are always going to be right or wrong, and we need to make good choices.  It is a process in many ways and not something they just wake up with one day.. and can decide for themselves. Our most basic human instinct is utter selfishness. And if indulged too long.. that is all a child will learn.. they need to understand that the world is not only and just about how THEY think and feel about it.  And that comes from parenting. You lead by example (and yes.. also by setting rules) as they are growing up. And yes.. you do it in love.. and with the chance for them to have freedom of expression. But the point is.. you do it.  and THEN as they begin to grow older,  you give them the space to be who they are within that.  No kid ought to be told you are going to grow up and become a captain of industry.. or the worlds greatest ball player.. or to only like to eat cheese.. ha. But they SHOULD all grow up learning how to treat others with kindness.. or how to respect other people in the most basic ways.. even when you don't agree with them. That is parenting.. and yes.. we DO sometimes influence our children just by living our daily lives. (for better or worse) but the fact is.. we are going to be an influence.. so we ought to be a good one.. if we want to raise our children well. 

You can't just turn a kid loose to find his way in the world without giving him the skills to understand how to make sound choices (about all sorts of things.. including right and wrong) That is a recipe for disaster.. not just for the child.. but for those he may come in contact with. We are bound by certain universal truths.. some things are always right and some things are always wrong (and yes.. I know.. we may not all see eye to eye on how long either of those two lists are) But there is a basic level of common ground that we need to teach our children (about respecting others.. respecting themselves.. and I will add for my own part.. respecting their Creator)  It is a parent's obligation to teach those things to their children... not from vanity.. but from love for the child.

That is just my take on it, and I know not everyone feels the same.. and I can live with that. :)  But I hope that my child would agree (someday) that I did my best to show her a way to live that helped her to become the best person she could be (for herself.. not for me). 

You are more "Grumpy" than the evil stepmother.

You only say that because I am not YOUR stepmother. (ha!) Hey.. I know.. Maybe I am a "Grumpy evil stepmother" :D

Dopey you are not!

Well thank you for saying that.. ha. but I am SURE there is way too much evidence against me that would indicate otherwise. :D

How many of these Karloff films have you seen?:

Of your list I have seen: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 19, 23, 26, 39, and 41. I think. (ha.. some of them were so long ago, I MIGHT be wrong... but those are the titles I believe I have seen) of the ones I can remember the most.. I like 1, 3, 5, 6, and 9 the best.  

I saw your lists!  They are exceptionally done!  And now I have a compass of what to watch to connect with you. 

Thanks.. and let me tell you.. I went a bit NUTSO making that list.. ha. And hey.. if it makes you feel any better about my parenting skills.. I can tell you that the kidling would most likely rate HER list a lot different from mine. :D

Now I need to get you to look into an actor or actress from the classic world that you like and have you list how you like their films.  You can skip John Wayne since I have seen so many of his films already.

Oh me.. you really want to tax my brain. ha. I will give it some thought. Give me an actor (or actress) Don't make me choose who to choose. HA! 

I hope you at least watch one Chan film.  They are fun little films.  Nothing intense but with enough depth to make them very enjoyable.  I love the early forensics stuff.

I will make a point of it. I am hoping to watch some movies in the next few days.. probably closer to the weekend. We'll see what happens and I will report back. 

Good afternoon Jack-in-the-box!

Oh no!  Look who's back!

What do you mean, "Oh no!"? What's the suppose to mean? You were totally laughing at me when you wrote that weren't you? Meanie! :P

And Jeanne pulls a "Lamby" in this one. The only difference is that Lamby pouts because she's childish.

Oh no you don't! Jeanne is definitely not childish and cold like your "lamby". Jeanne actually shows emotion, fancy that. Heehee! :P:P

I loved Jeanne's character here! I wish they had also made more films together. Glenn's character is so interesting. You don't know whether you want to slap him out of his transe for his quest in proving something or hug him for being so cute and standing up for himself and his talents. At least that's how it is for me when watching this.

I bet she would have!  You were taking candy from a stranger!

You take that back!! First of all, I would never do that and second of all....I would never do that! Where are my long black gloves?!

When don't I?!

Well you have a point, but still!

I don't have any girl's heart!  Y'all are too wise!  And I'm certainly a weirdo!  The dwarfs just annoyed the heck out of me.  I wanted the Queen to crush them with the boulder!

Well I think we're all weirdos on this board, but then being normal is highly overrated anyway.

Only you would use the word "adorable" with a horror film!

Heehee! I can't stop laughing to that...I meant that I think Edmund Gwenn is adorable in general, not necessarily his character in this individual film.

Balou is what I liked about The Jungle Book.

HA! I knew it!

Having seen the live-action film from the 40s caused me to like the animated version much less.  The villainy in the live-action flick is terrific.  I also think Sabu is terrific.

See, I'm the opposite with this. I saw the live-action like right after I originally saw the animated version because Grandmama had to have it that way. Heehee! I like the cuteness of Mowgli in the animated version versus the live-action. I do think the villainy is a little better in the live-action, though, so you have a point. I really like "Bagheera" and the baby elephant! SO CUTE!

Not in Disney films! :P I need someone to bring some good conflict to the story.  The better the villain, the better the film.

How mean! The poor good guys! Is that why you love Norman Bates so much? You're so weird! although, I do have to say that I like Cruella. She is interesting and I love watching it for her silliness.

Gail Patrick is the adorable one!  I loved her "Cookie wookie"!  So does Loretta! :D  I definitely enoyed the sparring between Loretta and Ray.  Both were stubborn jerks that came around.  I think she had short thumbs, too!

Did you just call Loretta a stubborn jerk?! GASP! Blasphemy! Heehee! So she was a little stuffy! She was trying to get men to take her seriously! I won't blame her for that. She definitely had short thumbs too. You're right! :D

You and your violence!  Always looking to hurt and kill!  Joan is her "good gal" self in this one.  She easily jumped into Gable's arms.  This got Greer jealous.  And Gable knew it!  I loved all of that.

I'm not violent! I'm sweet and innocent, remember!? I'm not always typically the Joan Blondell fan, but I do like her in these types of roles. Her character is bubbly. I like that! That's the thing I don't like about Gable. That stupid smirk he always has and he presents it when he knows he is getting to the female leads. I really don't like that smirk, like he is better than everyone. I like gable when he doesn't do that, though.  

I didn't know who Conrad was!  Not until I watched the film.

Mork and Mindy!! Heehee!

She really is cute as "Margie".  Love her bloomers!  And Miss G is very funny in the film, too.

Marybelle so reminded me of a friend from my childhood, which is why I can laugh at it so easily. I loved the rouge on the knees while people snickered behind her back and wondered why she did that. So funny! Roy and his sniffles too. This film would never pass in today's society with the relationship of Margie and the teacher, but I love it so much!

I wasn't the only one obsessing with the drapes!

You know what I mean! Hehee! And Yes, I know. It was suppose to be just an exercise at first.

Gowns?!  Now we see why you really love this film!  I usually don't like the mixing of comedy and drama in the 30s.  It always feels so odd to me.

Oh I LOVE the mixing of comedy and drama in the 30s. It's like a balance for me with certain ones. I like drama with a little comic relief. Why does it feel so odd to you? Is it that you think the film can't make up it's mind? Heehee!

You make a good point.  He really is more at home as a baddie.

Exactly! And I like it when he plays bad guys. He is great at it! Those are better favorites of mine...I never thought I would say that about a villain. Heehee!

Myrna wasn't very "Myrna" to me in this one.  She was playing her kind of character, the distrusting woman with the frigid wall in place.  But I didn't feel it with her, for some reason.  And I always love Myrna.  Strange.

What is this you speak of? Of course you are strange! I love her spunkiness and the faces she makes at Douglas.

Not that soft!

Those minor details don't matter. heehee!

I needed the Leopard Man to show up in Dover!

That would have ruined Dover!!! And the leopard only ate women! What was up with that? what, he didn't like the taste of men? How rude! :P :P That poor sweet girl was just out getting flour for her momma and she ended up getting eaten for no reason! And by an animal that looked exactly like my black kitty, Xena! That messes with my brain! Heehee! No, actually I liked The Leopard Man. It really pretty creative! Lewton did pretty well!

I got so busy with family and wedding stuff and trying to delegate things that I just didn't have the time I really wanted to come on here before the wedding. 

I present heart-felt congratulations on your wedding! I hope that it was a very special day for you. May you find love and happiness in your wedded life.

I present heart-felt congratulations on your wedding! I hope that it was a very special day for you. May you find love and happiness in your wedded life.

How kind of you! Thank you! And big Congratulations to yourself, darling!!

And to you too. Gosh, all these marriages.

Dear Theresa, Best Wishes to You, Always.

Laffite

Hola, Mrs. Sweet T -- What do you mean, "Oh no!"? What's the suppose to mean? You were totally laughing at me when you wrote that weren't you? Meanie! :P

I never laugh!  I'm such a serious guy!

Oh no you don't! Jeanne is definitely not childish and cold like your "lamby". Jeanne actually shows emotion, fancy that. Heehee! :P:P

Lamby shows emotion!  She pouts!

highnoon3_zps38c744c7.jpg

I loved Jeanne's character here! I wish they had also made more films together. Glenn's character is so interesting. You don't know whether you want to slap him out of his transe for his quest in proving something or hug him for being so cute and standing up for himself and his talents. At least that's how it is for me when watching this.

I know which one Snippy would do!  You would probably do both.

You take that back!! First of all, I would never do that and second of all....I would never do that! Where are my long black gloves?!

They've been stolen!

gilda1_zps467b8ec5.jpg

Well I think we're all weirdos on this board, but then being normal is highly overrated anyway.

You tell Miss G she's a weirdo!

See, I'm the opposite with this. I saw the live-action like right after I originally saw the animated version because Grandmama had to have it that way. Heehee! I like the cuteness of Mowgli in the animated version versus the live-action. I do think the villainy is a little better in the live-action, though, so you have a point. I really like "Bagheera" and the baby elephant! SO CUTE!

I greatly prefer the look and settings in the live-action The Jungle Book.  I also prefer the story of Mowgli and his interaction with Mahala (Patricia O'Rourke).  I really like Sabu.

junglebook1_zpsc48eefee.jpg

junglebook5_zps17cc8bf9.jpg

How mean! The poor good guys! Is that why you love Norman Bates so much? You're so weird! although, I do have to say that I like Cruella. She is interesting and I love watching it for her silliness.

Norman is what makes Psycho!

Did you just call Loretta a stubborn jerk?! GASP! Blasphemy! Heehee! So she was a little stuffy! She was trying to get men to take her seriously! I won't blame her for that. She definitely had short thumbs too. You're right! :D

She was!  But that made her entertaining.

doctortakesawife1_zps3b79a4da.jpg

doctortakesawife2_zpsd84f9512.jpg

I'm not violent! I'm sweet and innocent, remember!? I'm not always typically the Joan Blondell fan, but I do like her in these types of roles. Her character is bubbly. I like that!

Joan is always such great fun!  She's naughty but nice.

That's the thing I don't like about Gable. That stupid smirk he always has and he presents it when he knows he is getting to the female leads. I really don't like that smirk, like he is better than everyone. I like gable when he doesn't do that, though.  

I do that! :P  I tend to be easily amused, especially with women.  I get a kick out of feminine anger and annoyance.  It's usually aimed at me!

Mork and Mindy!! Heehee!

Now I know!

Marybelle so reminded me of a friend from my childhood, which is why I can laugh at it so easily.

:D  Ahhhh, Marybelle.

I loved the rouge on the knees while people snickered behind her back and wondered why she did that. So funny! Roy and his sniffles too. This film would never pass in today's society with the relationship of Margie and the teacher, but I love it so much!

I'll say!  Everyone expects the worst of people.  I can see why, because it's the worst that usually shows up.

You know what I mean! Hehee! And Yes, I know. It was suppose to be just an exercise at first.

cobweb1_zpsf0e4f14d.jpg

Oh I LOVE the mixing of comedy and drama in the 30s. It's like a balance for me with certain ones. I like drama with a little comic relief. Why does it feel so odd to you? Is it that you think the film can't make up it's mind? Heehee!

It's in the manner of how the comedy and drama is combined in the 30s.  The feel is so very strange to me.  There's a serious trial or a man's life is at stake and here comes Roland Young, Lee Tracy, or Charles Butterworth cracking jokes.  It's very off-putting to me.  But it seemed to be a common practice in the 30s.

Exactly! And I like it when he plays bad guys. He is great at it! Those are better favorites of mine...I never thought I would say that about a villain. Heehee!

That is rather surprising coming from you!

What is this you speak of? Of course you are strange! I love her spunkiness and the faces she makes at Douglas.

I love it when Myrna makes faces at a guy.  But I don't know why she just didn't connect with me in Third Finger, Left Hand.

That would have ruined Dover!!! And the leopard only ate women! What was up with that? what, he didn't like the taste of men? How rude! :P:P

He had good tastes!  If I was the "Leopard Man", I'm not going after guys!

That poor sweet girl was just out getting flour for her momma and she ended up getting eaten for no reason! And by an animal that looked exactly like my black kitty, Xena! That messes with my brain! Heehee!

We see how you teach your kitty to behave!  And you would definitely lock me out to get eaten by the leopard!  You often lock the door on me!

No, actually I liked The Leopard Man. It really pretty creative! Lewton did pretty well!

Woohoo!

Ha.. well If you are a "scaredy cat" then I would a a "scardey CHEETAH" ha.. because if some headless guy with a sword and a flaming pumpkin WERE out there in the woods.. ha.. you'd have to ride even faster, because I am pretty sure I would leave you in the dust.. just trying to get away from him. :D  That guy has always creeped me out!  (woo.. too scary to be fun... almost) 

That's hilarious!  It's dangerous to ride that fast in the woods!

adventuresofichabodandmrtoad1_zps62ad7ff

Now that  you say that.. it think I remember thinking how extreme it was that they were the only survivors.. but to be honest.. I don't remember it as well as that. I just remember thinking it was pretty well done. (in terms of disaster and mayhem) I do love a good crash. And as I recall.. it was a pretty good crash

I liked the crash in Union Pacific.  That was pretty well done.  My issue was there were only three survivors left.  But this is Hollywood.

I think it has a lot to do with the age at which I saw most of these movies. Because pretty much all of them were watched well after I was a "little" girl. I was at least an older teen by the time I saw some.. and pretty much well into my 20's, 30's, and BEYOND.. ha.. by the time I saw most of them. And another thing that plays a part too.. you have to consider that over the years I have seen some of these films 5, 10, 15 times or more. ha. So that sort of skews how much I like (or DON'T like) some of them. ha. The ones I like best.. I absoluetly love.. but the ones that I like "so-so".. pretty much are interchangeable.. and then the ones I REALLY don't like.. well.. those are the ones Mom hides from the kidling and never let them see the light of day again.. Ha! :D

(kidding..only kidding.. or AM I??) 

:D  You make an excellent point.  It really does matter when you came to watch these films.  The odds of an older girl or a young woman first viewing princess movies versus those who saw them as toddlers does make a big difference.  And your point about watching a film over and over really does make it a great test on how much you like it.  I may like a film once or twice, but do I like it enough to watch it five or ten times?

You only say that because I am not YOUR stepmother. (ha!) Hey.. I know.. Maybe I am a "Grumpy evil stepmother" :D

Ha!  Maybe that's it!

Well thank you for saying that.. ha. but I am SURE there is way too much evidence against me that would indicate otherwise. :D

I think there is too much evidence to prove you are not Dopey!

Of your list I have seen: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 19, 23, 26, 39, and 41. I think. (ha.. some of them were so long ago, I MIGHT be wrong... but those are the titles I believe I have seen) of the ones I can remember the most.. I like 1, 3, 5, 6, and 9 the best.

So you have seen the Karloff films I like the very most.  That's really good.  I actually like most every Karloff film on some level.  His being in the horror genre is a big reason why.  I tend to like the cheesy horror films from the past, too.

Thanks.. and let me tell you.. I went a bit NUTSO making that list.. ha. And hey.. if it makes you feel any better about my parenting skills.. I can tell you that the kidling would most likely rate HER list a lot different from mine. :D

And her list is different!  I think that's terrific.  And I feel your parenting skills are superb.  I just have my own issues with rigidity.  It has nothing to do with you personally.  Whenever I start to sense rigidity, I begin to push the other direction.

Oh me.. you really want to tax my brain. ha. I will give it some thought. Give me an actor (or actress) Don't make me choose who to choose. HA! 

Who are your five favorite actresses?  That should be challenging!

I will make a point of it. I am hoping to watch some movies in the next few days.. probably closer to the weekend. We'll see what happens and I will report back.

Fantastic!  I did find a film you may like.  It's a film I watched for the next group.  It's actually a film noir spin on a famous story you like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu_jc6uYtqo

Here's a cap from The Devil Bat:

devilbat1_zpsfd710c29.jpg

It's dangerous to ride that fast in the woods!

AGH! Oh great. now you had to go and show me that pic! ha. C-R-E-E-P-Y! (no kidding.. ha. that guy has always ranked pretty high on my 'heebie-jeebie scale) ha. No wonder i don't remember much about watching that movie before. (even though I am pretty sure I have seen at least portions of it.. somewhere)

Oh me.. oh my.. I think I need to go watch Devil Bat now.. just to get over it.. I am sure (based on the cap you posted) it will be good for a smile! :D

You make an excellent point.  It really does matter when you came to watch these films.  The odds of an older girl or a young woman first viewing princess movies versus those who saw them as toddlers does make a big difference.  And your point about watching a film over and over really does make it a great test on how much you like it.  I may like a film once or twice, but do I like it enough to watch it five or ten times?

You have to really like a film (or really love your child, ha) to sit back and watch some of those Disneys more than once or twice. ha. And sometimes seeing it multiple times (upon times) can even ruin it for you.. if you "sort of liked" a movie and then end up watching it TOO often. But overall, I have to say for the most part (thankfully) most of the ones she likes to watch the most often are ones that I either really enjoy too.. or at least don't mind seeing them now and then. We try not to let her watch ANY film more than twice before putting it away and then I ask her to not watch it again for a while.

Right now.. the Lego Movie is on her 'put away list' because she just bought it about 2 weeks ago and had already seen it three times. So the other day I told her to put it up for a while (because I was hearing non-stop "Lego" quotes from her all day long. ha. (which.. hey.. some are pretty funny.. but still. I could tell she was starting to be distracted too often by it) So it's on "vacation" for a while and we will watch something else. She's pretty good about obeying that rule.. but ha.. sometimes it is harder than others. :) 

you are not Dopey

HA! Well thanks for saying that.. but.. sigh.. nevertheless.. I know I would be lying if I didn't admit that I DO have my moments. HA!

Every now and then. :D

So you have seen the Karloff films I like the very most.  That's really good.  I actually like most every Karloff film on some level.  His being in the horror genre is a big reason why.  I tend to like the cheesy horror films from the past, too.

I like that he didn't seem to have a problem with BEING cheesy now and then. ha. He and Vincent Price had a lot in common that way. Sometimes they were in some real "stinkers' ha.. but they always seemed to be having FUN because they knew how to play up the "horror" angle sometimes for real.. and sometimes for laughs (even if it wasn't supposed to BE funny)  And I am not sure if that even makes sense, ha. I guess I just mean, that it seemed possible to me that they were not ALL about being "REAL" scary... but boy, all the same,  they could BE real scary when they wanted to.  

her list is different!  I think that's terrific

It's very "of the moment" because pretty much whatever she's watched the most recently.. that one is her new favorite.. all except for How To Train Your Dragon and Cars2 (and Cars as well)  Those seem to be consistantly in her top faves as of the last 3 years or so, even when newer ones will come out.  She really loves Toothless the Dragon (and who could blame her.. he's way cool, I confess) 

Before that it would have been Beauty and the Beast at the very tippy top..and then maybe Toy Story and possibly Sleeping Beauty. Those three were really high on the list for her for most of  her early childhood. But as she's gotten older.. they took a back seat to the newer ones that were coming out. It will be interesting to hear what her favorites are when she is all grown up. That will be the real test. 

And I feel your parenting skills are superb. 

Well thank you for saying that. I know sometimes I do better than others, ha. She and I BOTH would be a "work in progress" kinda thing, I know. 

I just have my own issues with rigidity.  It has nothing to do with you personally.  Whenever I start to sense rigidity, I begin to push the other direction

Oh, I never took it personally.. I know you better than that. :) 

And I also know that you are definitely "anti-rigid" when it comes to viewing those "black and white" versus "grey" definitions. It isn't ALWAYS going to be one way or the others. Sometimes it really can be both. But meanwhile, on the other hand, the things that I feel very strongly about (for black and white issues) I would be as rigid as a brick wall. ha. But hey.. that is what makes the world go around. :) (and also makes for some fun mudfighting around here now and then) :D

your five favorite actresses?  That should be challenging

AGH!!!!!!!!! You know me too well. ha. I have a MUCH easier time listing actors than actresses. BAH! Ok.. Ok.. let me give it some thought. Do you just want to know who they are.. or do y ou want to know what movies I like them in?? Or why I like them?? What do you want me to list?? ha. (oh me.. what kind of mudpit am I getting myself INTO??) :P

I did find a film you may like.  It's a film I watched for the next group.  It's actually a film noir spin on a famous story you like:

Woo HOO! I looked that one up and yes.. that IS a famous story I like.. ha.  I am very intrigued!! I will definitely be getting to that one soon. 

Hi guys!

First may I offer up my sincere and heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS to Sansfin Capuchin and Mrs. ButterscotchMiniver! I am SO pleased for both of you. I wish you the most happiness in your new married lives.

Sansfin, you have waited a LONG LONG time, and I can't begin to tell you how wonderful it is, how heartwarming and romantic your story is to me. It gives me hope.

post-21272-0-44140600-1415132595_thumb.jpg

Buttertea, I, like Rohanaka, wish you only the happiest of marriages. You are such a sweet girl. Allow me to give you a little wedding present... the true love you deserve.

post-21272-0-93534000-1415132506_thumb.jpg

post-21272-0-93534000-1415132506_thumb.jpg

post-21272-0-44140600-1415132595_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well HELLO there Ms. Favell!!! So happy to see your name on the ole message board, little darlin'! It's always a welcome sight! :) 

First may I offer up my sincere and heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS to Sansfin Capuchin and Mrs. ButterscotchMiniver! I am SO pleased for both of you. I wish you the most happiness in your new married lives.

Sansfin, you have waited a LONG LONG time, and I can't begin to tell you how wonderful it is, how heartwarming and romantic your story is to me. It gives me hope.

I thank you very much for your very kind words and good wishes. 

I have reminded my husband often that I have waited forty years for this and that it is his responsibility to ensure that it was worth the wait. It will be grievous if he does not measure up and I must begin search for romantic and handsome young lad who asked me to marry him when we were eight years old. 

It truly is quite wonderful but for those times when I feel quite passionate need to kill him.