Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

Thanks, Ro! It's so good to be back. So good.

Now that I have gotten all those congratulations out of the way.... I wanted to chat about the discussions in this thread, but the phone rang and here it is 2 hours later...

Let's see, where to begin....

My favorite Disney animated films are:(can you tell I love dogs?)

Lady and the Tramp -  Jock! His sacrifice tears me up....thank god it's only momentary. :D I love the way that Lady (so doggy!) observes the baby as kind of an unearthly intruder. Dog's eye view. Tramp - Perfect voice, perfect shaggy but charming face. A great leading man - down to earth, but sure of himself.  He kind of reminds me of John Garfield. Am I over thinking this? He's a tramp, but I love him.... :D

101 Dalmatians - I like the Britishness of it, too like Miss G, and I DO care about the pups.

Pinocchio -  mainly because I find it the most beautiful of the films. I do have a slight issue with the moral of the story but it's a small quibble.

Willie the Operatic Whale or The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met - a short subject, but one of my all time faves. Nelson Eddy is the voice of the whale in this bittersweet cartoon. Sometimes available on youtube

Dumbo - ack! same as Ro, I find it painful, but joyful as well

Certain parts of Bambi - Drip drip drop little April Showers for instance

I had forgotten Ichabod and Mr. Toad... the headless horseman section is one of the most memorable things from my childhood - seeing this on Wonderful World of Disney each year was a highlight of the Halloween season

Tangled - Just a great, lovely movie. Mother love from Dumbo turned back on itself.

Beauty and the Beast - well, this one really brought Disney back. A terrific film, which incorporates old Disney with references to La Belle et la Bete. With terrific Jerry Orbach.

Sleeping Beauty - was a favorite as a kid I'm not sure why... maybe the classically based music? I think the death of the bad fairy in this ranks as the scariest most incredible sequence ever. For me, she ranks with Snow White's stepmother for most evil.

The Jungle Book was a huge favorite as a kid, but mainly BECAUSE I was a kid - who doesn't want to go live in the jungle without human parents? :D  And of course, I love animals. Balloo is terrific, I hope Phil Harris was proud of the job he did here.

Robin Hood - a later Disney film that I really liked. Gentle and good natured like The Jungle Book. Probably nothing special, but I was at the age right before cartoons were passe and I loved the love story...with another tramp type.

Snow White - I am with Frankie here... the ONLY thing I like about the dwarves is the song Hi Ho which is waaaay too short. But the film has fabulous music, and that evil queen, who was terrifying to me as a kid. I like that you can see the enormous effort to make the movement realistic.

If Toy Story counts as a Disney film, then it ranks way up at the top of the heap. I tend to think of Pixar films as a different category though... all are good, but this one is the best of all. A perfect film. One of the best cartoons ever.

Fastest Gun Alive - I saw this last year pr the year before on TCM and thought it was the best unknown western I'd seen, along with The Hanging Tree. I liked the way the townspeople pulled together at the end and even though Glenn Ford is not a favorite of mine, I thought he was perfect here.

I think Myrna seems tired in Third Finger, Left Hand. I think her acting is good, but it doesn't quite gel. Melvyn also does everything right. And I absolutely LOVE Ernest Whitman as the porter who is also a lawyer. Don't know why this isn't a better film, it;s even got a decent plot, but it feels like everyone is slogging through quicksand. I blame Lee Bowman.

What is the movie that you think Ro would like? it's been removed from youtube according to my computer.

I like Union Pacific too. Not quite as much as Annie Oakley, but close.

The Walking Dead is great! Revenge. Slow revenge. And Ricardo Cortez. Love it! Movies were super when they were short and sweet.

The Devil Bat really impressed me the other day. I wasn't paying attention at first, but the lighting kept catching my eye. It's very good visually. I liked the effects, and Bela was excellent. I felt he was trying to capture something different in the character here, really acting. Wait... I'm looking back at the schedule and I might have the wrong movie... I can't find it listed. I could have sworn it was this movie....

Even I can see why you wouldn't like The White Cliffs of Dover. I like it, the idea of it... the romance, but then I like episodic fllms and ones that take place in British country houses. The fake British movie that really drives me batty is Forever and a Day. What a disappointment.

HUGO is wonderful.

The Cobweb is a terrible movie! I agree about the damn drapes! The only thing I like in it is seeing Lilian Gish as a career woman. I thought she was excellent. Boyer and everyone else is wasted. Might qualify for a Bad Movie We Love, but it doesn't even have the schlock value for that.

I don't like Titanic 1997 either. Ugh. But A Night to Remember is a solid film. I also like the Barbara Stanwyck Clifton Webb version. ANTR is underplayed, making it quite effective. The film feels chilly. Don't know how they got that across.

I like Come Live With Me. I think Hedy is pretty good here. I always like Ian Hunter. Another in his good natured, lose the girl at the end parts. It works for me.

I find Adventure almost unbearable at the beginning, as if the two leads were acting in different movies. But if you wait it out to the end, I think it works in some crazy way! Blondell and Gable should have made more movies together, they speak the same language. Blondell just knocks me out in this picture, as usual. I like Gable and I like Garson... and I like the movie, though it can be maddening at first.

I thank you very much for your very kind words and good wishes. 

I have reminded my husband often that I have waited forty years for this and that it is his responsibility to ensure that it was worth the wait. It will be grievous if he does not measure up and I must begin search for romantic and handsome young lad who asked me to marry him when we were eight years old. 

It truly is quite wonderful but for those times when I feel quite passionate need to kill him.

LOL! It's good to have passion after so long a time!  And besides your eight year old sweetie might be ugly now or unspeakably bad. :D

Who's the new hot chick in town?  Wait a minute!  It's the hot chick from before!  What a sight for sore eyes. :)

I wanted to chat about the discussions in this thread, but the phone rang and here it is 2 hours later...

That's great!

My favorite Disney animated films are:(can you tell I love dogs?)

Yeah, I can tell. Two of you go for dogs and two others go for cats.

Lady and the Tramp -  Jock! His sacrifice tears me up....thank god it's only momentary. :D I love the way that Lady (so doggy!) observes the baby as kind of an unearthly intruder. Dog's eye view. Tramp - Perfect voice, perfect shaggy but charming face. A great leading man - down to earth, but sure of himself.  He kind of reminds me of John Garfield. Am I over thinking this? He's a tramp, but I love him.... :D

Talk about some good analysis!  John Garfield!  That got a chuckle out of me.

101 Dalmatians - I like the Britishness of it, too like Miss G, and I DO care about the pups.

They are so many of them!  I forget how many. :P

Pinocchio -  mainly because I find it the most beautiful of the films. I do have a slight issue with the moral of the story but it's a small quibble.

I've yet to watch this one.  I kind of know the story, but I don't know how the film plays out.

Willie the Operatic Whale or The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met - a short subject, but one of my all time faves. Nelson Eddy is the voice of the whale in this bittersweet cartoon. Sometimes available on youtube

I never heard of that one!  I'll have to see if I can track it down.

And I know why!

I saw Bambi as a kid but I have no idea how it all goes.  I know the beginning is rough.

I had forgotten Ichabod and Mr. Toad... the headless horseman section is one of the most memorable things from my childhood - seeing this on Wonderful World of Disney each year was a highlight of the Halloween season

My memories are the same.

Tangled - Just a great, lovely movie. Mother love from Dumbo turned back on itself.

Hmmmm... I'll have to watch it.

Beauty and the Beast - well, this one really brought Disney back. A terrific film, which incorporates old Disney with references to La Belle et la Bete. With terrific Jerry Orbach.

Sleeping Beauty - was a favorite as a kid I'm not sure why... maybe the classically based music? I think the death of the bad fairy in this ranks as the scariest most incredible sequence ever. For me, she ranks with Snow White's stepmother for most evil.

The Jungle Book was a huge favorite as a kid, but mainly BECAUSE I was a kid - who doesn't want to go live in the jungle without human parents? :D  And of course, I love animals. Balloo is terrific, I hope Phil Harris was proud of the job he did here.

Robin Hood - a later Disney film that I really liked. Gentle and good natured like The Jungle Book. Probably nothing special, but I was at the age right before cartoons were passe and I loved the love story...with another tramp type.

I watched some of these, so I shall withhold comment until I post my list.

Snow White - I am with Frankie here... the ONLY thing I like about the dwarves is the song Hi Ho which is waaaay too short. But the film has fabulous music, and that evil queen, who was terrifying to me as a kid. I like that you can see the enormous effort to make the movement realistic.

Wow!  I could have sworn I would be the only one.  My feelings were the same.  I liked "Hi Ho" but then I got tired of them.  But I loved the animals.  I liked how they animated the animals reticence of Snow White's attempts to pet them, initially.

If Toy Story counts as a Disney film, then it ranks way up at the top of the heap. I tend to think of Pixar films as a different category though... all are good, but this one is the best of all. A perfect film. One of the best cartoons ever.

Two of my friends convinced me to see Toy Story in the theater when it was out.  I was wary upon arrival but I ended up liking it a lot.  In fact, it was my favorite animated film until I watched a few in the past year.

Fastest Gun Alive - I saw this last year pr the year before on TCM and thought it was the best unknown western I'd seen, along with The Hanging Tree. I liked the way the townspeople pulled together at the end and even though Glenn Ford is not a favorite of mine, I thought he was perfect here.

I don't disagree with it being one of the better unknown westerns.  It's quite good.  The action is on the low side, but the emotional impact is pretty good.

I think Myrna seems tired in Third Finger, Left Hand. I think her acting is good, but it doesn't quite gel. Melvyn also does everything right. And I absolutely LOVE Ernest Whitman as the porter who is also a lawyer. Don't know why this isn't a better film, it;s even got a decent plot, but it feels like everyone is slogging through quicksand. I blame Lee Bowman.

I laughed at your blaming Lee!  I think that word "chemistry" could be the problem with my not liking the film.  Maybe that's why I didn't like Myrna like I usually do.

What is the movie that you think Ro would like? it's been removed from youtube according to my computer.

Uh-oh!  Try this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xq6lh9_cash-on-demand_shortfilms

I liked Annie Oakley a little more, too.  I loved the love in that one.

The Walking Dead is great! Revenge. Slow revenge. And Ricardo Cortez. Love it! Movies were super when they were short and sweet.

Very good!  Love the list of baddies in the film.

The Devil Bat really impressed me the other day. I wasn't paying attention at first, but the lighting kept catching my eye. It's very good visually. I liked the effects, and Bela was excellent. I felt he was trying to capture something different in the character here, really acting. Wait... I'm looking back at the schedule and I might have the wrong movie... I can't find it listed. I could have sworn it was this movie....

It's a fun little horror film from the 40s.  Bela is playing it serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7RHXcGxm-w

Even I can see why you wouldn't like The White Cliffs of Dover. I like it, the idea of it... the romance, but then I like episodic fllms and ones that take place in British country houses. The fake British movie that really drives me batty is Forever and a Day. What a disappointment.

I'm learning that I don't go for lifelong personal journeys.  They seem to drain me.  But maybe it's how they are told.  This being episodic did annoy me.

The Cobweb is a terrible movie! I agree about the damn drapes! The only thing I like in it is seeing Lilian Gish as a career woman. I thought she was excellent. Boyer and everyone else is wasted. Might qualify for a Bad Movie We Love, but it doesn't even have the schlock value for that.

I agree!  But I loved Gloria in the film.  At least she did something about those darn drapes!

I like Come Live With Me. I think Hedy is pretty good here. I always like Ian Hunter. Another in his good natured, lose the girl at the end parts. It works for me.

I thought it was rather cute.  And with Hedy being threatened with deportation, I thought it fit her well.

I find Adventure almost unbearable at the beginning, as if the two leads were acting in different movies. But if you wait it out to the end, I think it works in some crazy way! Blondell and Gable should have made more movies together, they speak the same language. Blondell just knocks me out in this picture, as usual. I like Gable and I like Garson... and I like the movie, though it can be maddening at first.

The only thing that bothered me was Gable's running at the mouth.  He was constantly talking.  That started to wear on me.  But I really enjoyed Greer, Joan, and Thomas Mitchell.

It's great to see you again. :)

AGH! Oh great. now you had to go and show me that pic! ha. C-R-E-E-P-Y! (no kidding.. ha. that guy has always ranked pretty high on my 'heebie-jeebie scale) ha. No wonder i don't remember much about watching that movie before. (even though I am pretty sure I have seen at least portions of it.. somewhere)

I always loved the look of the Headless Horseman from that film.  Love the flames!

Oh me.. oh my.. I think I need to go watch Devil Bat now.. just to get over it.. I am sure (based on the cap you posted) it will be good for a smile! :D

If you like a fun little horror film with Bela playing it serious, I think you'd enjoy it.

You have to really like a film (or really love your child, ha) to sit back and watch some of those Disneys more than once or twice. ha. And sometimes seeing it multiple times (upon times) can even ruin it for you.. if you "sort of liked" a movie and then end up watching it TOO often. But overall, I have to say for the most part (thankfully) most of the ones she likes to watch the most often are ones that I either really enjoy too.. or at least don't mind seeing them now and then. We try not to let her watch ANY film more than twice before putting it away and then I ask her to not watch it again for a while.

That's a pretty good policy.  The variety will help her.  But it can be difficult to tell a toddler they can't watch something.  Some parents are good with the battles, others just give in.  I see it firsthand.

Right now.. the Lego Movie is on her 'put away list' because she just bought it about 2 weeks ago and had already seen it three times. So the other day I told her to put it up for a while (because I was hearing non-stop "Lego" quotes from her all day long. ha. (which.. hey.. some are pretty funny.. but still. I could tell she was starting to be distracted too often by it) So it's on "vacation" for a while and we will watch something else. She's pretty good about obeying that rule.. but ha.. sometimes it is harder than others. :)

Hilarious!

I like that he didn't seem to have a problem with BEING cheesy now and then. ha. He and Vincent Price had a lot in common that way. Sometimes they were in some real "stinkers' ha.. but they always seemed to be having FUN because they knew how to play up the "horror" angle sometimes for real.. and sometimes for laughs (even if it wasn't supposed to BE funny)  And I am not sure if that even makes sense, ha. I guess I just mean, that it seemed possible to me that they were not ALL about being "REAL" scary... but boy, all the same,  they could BE real scary when they wanted to.  

I always appreciate Karloff because he really did give it his all no matter the material.  He is never the issue with a film with me.

It's very "of the moment" because pretty much whatever she's watched the most recently.. that one is her new favorite.. all except for How To Train Your Dragon and Cars2 (and Cars as well)  Those seem to be consistantly in her top faves as of the last 3 years or so, even when newer ones will come out.  She really loves Toothless the Dragon (and who could blame her.. he's way cool, I confess) 

And that makes great sense to me because a child is still maturing, so their tastes are still building and what they have seen is on the low side.

Before that it would have been Beauty and the Beast at the very tippy top..and then maybe Toy Story and possibly Sleeping Beauty. Those three were really high on the list for her for most of  her early childhood. But as she's gotten older.. they took a back seat to the newer ones that were coming out. It will be interesting to hear what her favorites are when she is all grown up. That will be the real test. 

That's a great mix!  There are princess flicks and then Toy Story.

AGH!!!!!!!!! You know me too well. ha. I have a MUCH easier time listing actors than actresses. BAH! Ok.. Ok.. let me give it some thought. Do you just want to know who they are.. or do y ou want to know what movies I like them in?? Or why I like them?? What do you want me to list?? ha. (oh me.. what kind of mudpit am I getting myself INTO??) :P

Let's see your top five actresses.

Here are the "contemporary" films I have watched over the past month or so:

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Bolt (2008)

Brave (2012)

The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)

The Darjeeling Limited (2007)

Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind (2004)

Finding Nemo (2003)

Frozen (2013)

Good Will Hunting (1997)

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Hotel Transylvania (2012)

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

The Lego Movie (2014)

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)

The Little Mermaid (1989)

Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

Lost in Translation (2003)

Monsters, Inc. (2001)

Monsters University (2013)

Once (2006)

Out of Africa (1985)

ParaNorman (2012)

Ratatouille (2007)

Robin Hood (1973)

Up (2009)

Who's the new hot chick in town?  Wait a minute!  It's the hot chick from before!  What a sight for sore eyes. :)

Hot chick? Oh yeah, I do get overheated sometimes. :)

I've yet to watch this one.  I kind of know the story, but I don't know how the film plays out.

Pinocchio is really really gorgeous, animation wise. It's kind of dark, in a sort of Grimm's fairy tales way. There are shadows and there's depth. It's just stunning looking, to me. Rich.

I never heard of that one!  I'll have to see if I can track it down.

http://vk.com/video29392040_166272521

And I know why!

I know you do! Just call me Madame X.

I saw Bambi as a kid but I have no idea how it all goes.  I know the beginning is rough.

It is. But it's also a beautiful film. I just LOVE the rainstorm sequence. And Thumper and Flower.

My memories are the same.

I honestly don't think the Headless Horseman has been told any better than this.

Hmmmm... I'll have to watch it.

It'll make you think twice about whether the evil stepmother from Snow White was all that bad... I kind of have a fascination with children's stories about overcoming abuse. I think this movie is on some level about that, without being overt. Same with James and the Giant Peach which is a TERRIFIC movie with a very dark start.

I watched some of these, so I shall withhold comment until I post my list.

OK. I saw Robin Hood on your list. I really love the representation of evil in Sleeping Beauty. Gave me nightmares as a very young kid. Though the animation isn't as good as some of the other movies, the IDEAS in the fight scene are very frightening. Malificent is so strong, so overpowering and magnetic that it really freaked me out when I was little. I still have a very strong memory of the cliff scene at the end.

Wow!  I could have sworn I would be the only one.  My feelings were the same.  I liked "Hi Ho" but then I got tired of them.  But I loved the animals.  I liked how they animated the animals reticence of Snow White's attempts to pet them, initially.

No, I think Disney tried a little too hard to make the dwarves funny and cutesy. It's just overkill to me. Although I do like Bashful... 

Two of my friends convinced me to see Toy Story in the theater when it was out.  I was wary upon arrival but I ended up liking it a lot.  In fact, it was my favorite animated film until I watched a few in the past year.

I think I must have watched Toy Story 50 or more times when Alice was little, including in the theater. If you can watch a movie that many times and still like it, there is something special about it.  It was as enjoyable to me as an adult as it was to Alice. Alice loved it so, intil one night she was sleeping with her Woody doll and his ring got stuck on something and he started talking in the middle of the night. Man, you never saw a kid so scared....Woody got the boot right out of the bed that night and never went back.

I don't disagree with it being one of the better unknown westerns.  It's quite good.  The action is on the low side, but the emotional impact is pretty good.

What I liked was how differently the townspeople were from most of the other westerns I'd seen. I also liked how withdrawn into himself Glenn Ford was, always trying to go it alone, expecting the worst.

I laughed at your blaming Lee!  I think that word "chemistry" could be the problem with my not liking the film.  Maybe that's why I didn't like Myrna like I usually do.

Ack! Lee Bowman! Ewww. I think you are right though. Both she and Melvyn are basically the same type - smart **** who like to put one over on the other person. It should work with them one-upping each other, but it doesn't. On the other hand, it isn't a horrible movie. Just a little disappointing with the caliber of most Myrna films. I will watch it when it's on, if there is nothing else available.  Maybe Myrna was starting to get involved in politics at this time and just didn't care as much.

Uh-oh!  Try this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xq6lh9_cash-on-demand_shortfilms

Oh. Never heard of this one, or most of the Hammer noirs. I didn't even know Hammer MADE noirs.

I liked Annie Oakley a little more, too.  I loved the love in that one.

Me too. It feels true. It isn't forced. And it's clear that there's love between them BOTH, it isn't all on Annie's side which is so frustrating. Something just gets in their way that we can still relate to now. Kind of like A Star is Born, it's always going to be relevant. Status/Work/ Power/ Love makes conflict. Annie Oakley is a buillseye all around for me. Great casting. I even like Preston Foster in it, which is saying a lot. There are only about 3 movies of his where I really like him and this is one of them. The supporting cast is PERFECT, a dream, especially Chief Thunderbird.  And they really got the wild west show feel completely right. In fact, I'd say Annie Oakley is one of my very favorite epic films.

Not to diss Union Pacific here, sorry I got carried away. Isn't it funny that at first we are like "Babs' accent is kind of wonky" but then, pretty much right after you totally forget because her acting is so good. I think this is one of her most charming roles...I love her as these waif types, the ones who are feisty and down to earth, but very loving. It's a great fit for her.

Very good!  Love the list of baddies in the film.

A film almost can't be bad when you have more than one villain - most of my favorite films have a bevy of them - Robin Hood would not be near as good if it was only Claude Rains, or only Basil Rathbone. Prisoner of Zenda is another with a slew of great villains. I like DEGREES of badness to choose from, myself. It's why I like The Devil Doll as well.

It's a fun little horror film from the 40s.  Bela is playing it serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7RHXcGxm-w

Dang it! I think what I saw was The Mark of the Vampire. I thought it was The Devil Bat because The Vampire Bat was on right before it and I got confused. I'll have to check out the Devil Bat. Does it have Evelyn Ankers in it? Queen of B Horror? 

I'm learning that I don't go for lifelong personal journeys.  They seem to drain me.  But maybe it's how they are told.  This being episodic did annoy me.

I remember thinking this one was so romantic when I was a kid. I haven't seen it for a long long time. I just remember the motif of waves crashing. Yeah, I'd probably still go for it. It kind of reminds me of the Merle Oberon flick, Lydia, but maybe that's only because it has Alan Marshal too.

I agree!  But I loved Gloria in the film.  At least she did something about those darn drapes!

I unfortunately thought Gloria was not up to her usual standards. Her put-on accent was really getting on my nerves. The only thing I liked about her was that she was giving snively, whiny Richard Widmark what for.

I thought it was rather cute.  And with Hedy being threatened with deportation, I thought it fit her well.

You can REALLY tell when Hedy is not interested in a movie. She gets this glacially bored look on her face. I think this is one of her better films. She really seems to care. Jimmy must have charmed her.

The only thing that bothered me was Gable's running at the mouth.  He was constantly talking.  That started to wear on me.  But I really enjoyed Greer, Joan, and Thomas Mitchell.

I can see that. But I like Gable here. There are a few films at this point where he just looks lost and forlorn, shell shocked almost. Then there are some that are head and shoulders above the others. Here he still looks and acts like the Gable of the thirties.

It's great to see you again. :)

You too. I've missed you. :)

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Bolt (2008)

Brave (2012)

Finding Nemo (2003)

Frozen (2013)

Good Will Hunting (1997)

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

The Lego Movie (2014)

The Little Mermaid (1989)

Monsters, Inc. (2001)

Once (2006)

Out of Africa (1985)

ParaNorman (2012)

Ratatouille (2007)

Robin Hood (1973)

Up (2009)

Curse of the Were- Rabbit! Yeah! Love that one. And Ratatouille is good too. I was surprised at Monsters U - it was quite good, though not my favorite by any means. Alice and I still make whale noises like Dory in Finding Nemo... we laugh hard at that.

You seem to be in Indie-land, which are the movies I like to see. Really liked Little Miss Sunshine (anything with Alan Arkin is OK in my book) despite the shock value of some of the film. Maybe because it's so politically incorrect. It really got me. Also really liked Life Aquatic and The Darjeeling Limited. The Grand Budapest Hotel was quite good I thought. And UP, well, it's splendid. Andrew was quite upset by it when we took Alice to see it in the theater. He didn't like it, because it was too dramatic for him. He was all verklempt and couldn't get over it.

Now you need to see Moonrise Kingdom.

Alice and I still make whale noises like Dory in Finding Nemo... we laugh hard at that.

Now that's super cute!

You seem to be in Indie-land, which are the movies I like to see.

Every week, I get together with a friend for a movie night.  We alternate who chooses what to watch.  I show classics and he shows contemporary.  The "indie" films on my list are favorites of his that he's chosen for me to watch or had me borrow the DVD to watch.

And UP, well, it's splendid. Andrew was quite upset by it when we took Alice to see it in the theater. He didn't like it, because it was too dramatic for him. He was all verklempt and couldn't get over it.

:D  I bawled my eyes out ten minutes in and did so many other times in the film.

Now you need to see Moonrise Kingdom.

I have seen that one. :)  It's my favorite of Wes'.  I only have Rushmore to watch, which I have borrowed the DVD.  I will definitely reply to your comments on the above films.  But before I do, are you in the mood to attempt to guess my five favorites from the contemporary list?  They don't have to be in order.  I'll see if Quiet Gal can do so, as well.

I'll give it a whack, sure. I always have a hard time picking your faves, because in my head, I always pick MY faves instead. :D

It's more what I WANT to be your favorites than a rational judgment of what you might like best. But I do TRY to get over that, and work out what things you like and how you might react to different movies.

1. Finding Nemo

2. UP

3. Little Miss Sunshine

4. The Grand Budapest Hotel

5. Good Will Hunting

Now I have a problem. I kept trying to insert Beauty and the Beast on here. I think you'd like the Beast and that part of the story....but maybe it's too girly for you otherwise? I can't make it fit so I took it off the list. Maybe I will regret it....

I also really wanted to get The Darjeeling Limited on the list but decided on The Grand Budapest Hotel instead. I took a risk there because that one might be too traditional for you. I thought you would really like the ideas in Budapest - of the landscape freeing them to be themselves, their real selves, not what others wanted them to be. So I kicked off the family oriented Darjeeling for the more sentimental Budapest. Ah, movie travel....I love it! 

I haven't seen Brave, Frozen, Once, The Lego Movie or all of Lost in Translation.

Here's how I like them:

1. Little Miss Sunshine

2. Curse of the Were-Rabbit ( I had this on your list too, but bumped it)

3. UP

4. The Life Aquatic

5. The Darjeeling Limited

- AND because I can't be limited:

6. The Grand Budapest Hotel

7. Little Nemo

8. Beauty and the Beast

This was a hard list to rank. All the movies (except Bolt) were really good.

I'll give it a whack, sure. I always have a hard time picking your faves, because in my head, I always pick MY faves instead. :D

It's more what I WANT to be your favorites than a rational judgment of what you might like best. But I do TRY to get over that, and work out what things you like and how you might react to different movies.

And I love that about you!  Miss G is typically the opposite of you.  She always expects me to hate her very favorites, so she places them at the bottom for me. :D

1. Finding Nemo

2. UP

3. Little Miss Sunshine

4. The Grand Budapest Hotel

5. Good Will Hunting

Oh, you may enjoy all of this.

Now I have a problem. I kept trying to insert Beauty and the Beast on here. I think you'd like the Beast and that part of the story....but maybe it's too girly for you otherwise? I can't make it fit so I took it off the list. Maybe I will regret it....

:D  I do love your second-guessing and your thinking aloud.

I also really wanted to get The Darjeeling Limited on the list but decided on The Grand Budapest Hotel instead. I took a risk there because that one might be too traditional for you. I thought you would really like the ideas in Budapest - of the landscape freeing them to be themselves, their real selves, not what others wanted them to be. So I kicked off the family oriented Darjeeling for the more sentimental Budapest. Ah, movie travel....I love it! 

Yeah, I think you'll enjoy the discussion with Wes.

I haven't seen Brave, Frozen, Once, The Lego Movie or all of Lost in Translation.

Brave is a mother/daughter film, so you may find something that connects with you with that one.

Frozen is a sister film with a very interesting slant.  I think you'd appreciate it, despite the serious hype.

Once is one you should definitely seek out.  It's a very simple romance with folk music.  And I hate folk music.

The Lego Movie is one you should track down, too.  Lots of action and humor.

Here's how I like them:

1. Little Miss Sunshine

2. Curse of the Were-Rabbit ( I had this on your list too, but bumped it)

3. UP

4. The Life Aquatic

5. The Darjeeling Limited

- AND because I can't be limited:

6. The Grand Budapest Hotel

7. Little Nemo

8. Beauty and the Beast

I think we'll do just fine. :)

This was a hard list to rank. All the movies (except Bolt) were really good.

Now we await Quiet Gal.  If she can post today/this evening, I'll reply to tonight.

Well HELLO again there, my dear Ms. Favell!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am so happy to see you posting, little darlin'!

I am enjoying reading  your comments on the Grey Dude's lists.. He's had quite a change of pace going on in these last two. (the ones from last week and the ones from last night) If I didn't know better I would think space aliens had come down and taken him hostage and replaced him with some sort of POD person or something. HA!  :D

Willie the Operatic Whale or The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met

OH for pity's sake.. ha. Thanks for the link.. ha.  I had NEVER heard of this one before. (meanwhile.. may I just add.. poor WILLIE!!!!) :D

But it's also a beautiful film. I just LOVE the rainstorm sequence. And Thumper and Flower.

Bambi just truly is something special. It's utterly lovely.. despite the tragedy at the beginning. It really is quite endearing.

And I agree with what you have been saying about Pinocchio.. it really is beautiful. in a dark sort of way (And I like how you referenced it to "Grimm.. ha. it is both "grim' and "Grimm" in the way it looks) Though I guess for whatever reason that story is just not for me.. I think it is the donkey boys. (and the whole running away and turning into donkeys.. etc, etc)  ha. I never have liked the story book version much (it IS grim, isn't it.. agh) and so I guess I take it out on the movie a bit that way.

I wish I had more time right now but I keep trying to finish this post and I keep getting pulled away from it for other things I have going on, and by the time I come back to it.. I have lost my train of thought. (If I am not careful, my train will "derail" and I'll end up like that one on Union Pacific) HA! So I will have to wrap it up for now. (because I want to respond to something the Grey Dude said too)

But before I go..  I DID want to mention this: 

UP, well, it's splendid. Andrew was quite upset by it when we took Alice to see it in the theater. He didn't like it, because it was too dramatic for him. He was all verklempt and couldn't get over it

Ha.. poor guy. It IS a very emotional story.. both at the beginning AND the end. (and sprinkled here and there throughout along with all the laughs) I still remember chatting with you way back when it first came out because I was just so surprised by how wonderful it was. I went into it with VERY low expectations and came back out as an emotional wreck.. ha. (but I mean that in a GOOD way) A very unexpected story to be sure.. and absolutely hands down among my all time favorites for Disney.. ever. 

Will hope to catch up more with  you soon little gal.. did I mention how GOOD it is to see you on  here again today?? :) 

HELLLLOOOO Mr. GREY!!

Or should I say.. Mr. Contemporary.. ha. 

Great googly moogly, man. WHAT have you DONE to yourself. Ha. I hardly know  you. That is an amazing assortment. And I have to say I have not even HEARD of a couple of these.. so you are way out ahead of me in both watching classics AND contemporaries now. ha. 

I have only seen mostly just some of the animated ones on your list.. In fact, looking at it again.. I have seen ONLY just some of the animated ones.. and none of the non-animated. (wowsa) 

Of the ones I have seen that are on your list, I could only guess how you liked some of them. But if I HAD to guess.. I think you liked the "quirky" ones better than the sweet. ha. Maybe. (because agh.. ParaNorman.. though I haven't seen it.. very quirky, I imagine, but I can't picture it being very good.. ha. (though we did used to crack up when they showed commercials for it, about the kid throwing the hummus.. ha. It's spicy" HA!) 

Hmmm.... I don't know if I would have them in the right order... but of the ones I have seen, I think you would have liked: 

Bolt (2008)
Finding Nemo (2003)
Frozen (2013)
The Lego Movie (2014)
Monsters, Inc. (2001)
Up (2009)

And again.. I don't have any idea what one you might have liked best among those and in what order. (and I will be fair and say that I am guessing on some (lego movie, Frozen, and Up) that you do like them just because of what you have said already, ha) but those are ones I think you might have enjoyed.

As for the ones you'd rate lower.. I don't think you would have liked How to Train Your Dragon (much), Beauty and the Beast, or the Little Mermaid. but ha.. I freely confess.. I am just so bowled over by the fact that you WATCHED them all that I have no idea what to think. :D

And I have never seen (and a few I have never even heard of) any of these..  

Brave (2012)

Good Will Hunting (1997)

Once (2006)
Out of Africa (1985)
ParaNorman (2012)
Ratatouille (2007)
Robin Hood (1973)

But based only on what I know about the story.. rather than first hand knowledge.. You MIGHT have also liked Good Will Hunting, Out of Africa, but I can't say for sure.. ha..  because, again.. I have never seen them. (So it's a total shot in the dark for those two)  

So  wowsa.. you are always full of surprises, Mr. Movie-watching-man. I will have to stay on the edge of my seat to find out about how you liked all these.. but hey.. that's ME.. I like to live on the edge) :D

And I have never seen (and a few I have never even heard of) any of these..  

Brave (2012)

This airs on: Family Channel often. I found it interesting and entertaining but I doubt that it will ever become a favorite.

Family Channel plays many Disney and Disney-owned movies. It has commercials. I have found it to be an acceptable source for checking out a movie which I feel from descriptions might appeal to me but I do not wish to buy DVD until I know more. 

Monsters, Inc. (2001)

Robin Hood (1973)

I am very interested in your opinions of these movies. They are quite different in style, format and story but I like both of them very much.

Hello SF

Brave (2012)

I can't say for sure why, but for whatever reason that film and Tangled were both ones that we overlooked (the kidling and I) when they came out so I figured if they weren't ones she wasn't pushing to see.. I would pass on them.

I know she knows what they are about because several of her friends have seen them. (For Brave, I think part of it may be that the previews were something of a turnoff for her. She saw the parts w/ the men in kilts, behaving rudely, and she did NOT like it. ha. What can I say.. she's a "peacemaker" after my own heart and she seems to have even less tolerance for that kind of humor than I do.. ha.) :) I also think she just had an issue with some of the images.. they looked a little intense for her (she doesn't do "scary" too well and that bear kind of looked a bit intimidating. She is just at that age between "little girl" and growing up so I don't really mind too much to let her tell me what she can handle that way. Its better for her to figure it out on her own than to push her. 

She even had some issues with How To Train Your Dragon 2 as well. (though she really does love Toothless and she thoroughly enjoyed the first movie. She liked the second movie a lot, but it was extremely intense in places ( moreso than the first one) and had some very mature themes in it. At one point she got really quiet and put her head down on my arm and I could tell she didn't want to cry.. but she was about to, because of some of the more difficult moments in the story)

So I don't know.. I'm not able to really say what all the issues (either real or perceived) were for her with Brave (or with Tangled) but both of these were just not on her 'must see" list so we passed them by. It's possible she'll want to see them both sometime.. and we'll check them out sooner or later. But so far, for whatever reason, not much interest. 

I'm not able to really say what all the issues (either real or perceived) were for her with Brave (or with Tangled) but both of these were just not on her 'must see" list so we passed them by. It's possible she'll want to see them both sometime.. and we'll check them out sooner or later. But so far, for whatever reason, not much interest. 

Both: Brave (2012) and: Tangled (2010) fall into a category of: "I am glad that I have watched them but I am equally glad that I did not go to lengths to seek them out or spend money to see them" and so I would not recommend your being concerned that you have missed them. I realize that other people have other opinions on these movies and I realize also that other people categorize movies in less verbose ways but I must go with what works for me.

I feel that: Brave (2012) may be slightly schizophrenic in that it is a girl's story but much of it is boy's humor.

• Like 1

1. The Lego Movie (2014) -- This is now my favorite animated film of all.  It's such a fun ride.  I absolutely love the humor in the film.  Batman (Will Arnett) alone is hilarious.  But I also love the other components: an incompetent hero (Chris Pratt), a girl who is completely annoyed by our hero's incompetency (Elizabeth Banks), a wise old sage (Morgan Freeman), and two sensational bad guys (Will Ferrell & Liam Neeson).  I was not expecting it to be as good a film as it is.

2. Up (2009) -- What a cry-fest this was for me.  Ten minutes in, I'm wiping my eyes.  Then all the recalls throughout the film ended up wrecking me.  Talk about well done.  I also had emotional ties to Kevin, the bird.  To see her in pain and worrying about her children.  Tough!  Then there's the great hero-worship twist and the "Star Wars" ending.  All of that worked so well with me.  The film is beautiful.

3. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) -- Fantastic!  Wallace and Gromit are simply awesome.  Love me some Gromit!  Love all his facial expressions and his utter exasperation with Wallace.  The story was really fun.  I'm someone who enjoys fun animated horror, and this one is great silly fun.  I also love the naughtiness of the film.  Lots of innuendo!

4. Monsters, Inc. (2001) -- Sweet and funny, this one lived up to the hype.  It's superb.  Billy Crystal and John Goodman are magnificent as monster pals, Mike and "Sulley".  But who ends up stealing the film is Boo (Mary Gibbs).  To see her turn both of the guys upside down is a riot and adorable.  What a beautiful ending, too.

5. Bolt (2008) -- Quiet Gal pegged me right!  I really liked this one.  I loved Bolt's being fooled into believing he was actually a superhero.  I loved Mittens (Susie Essman).  Her NYC sarcasm was terrific.  I loved her backstory.  I was a bit teary by the end of this one.  I even liked the "one big family" ending.

6. Out of Africa (1985) -- This was a Miss G suggestion and favorite.  I thought it was quite good.  I was very into the romance between Karen (Meryl Streep) and Denys (Robert Redford).  I liked the scenario that is presented: a free-spirited man who falls in love yet wants to keep his independence and a woman looking to find real love and settle down with her love.  Can both of these people give in enough to allow their love for each other to rule the day?  Or do they allow their own wants and desires with how life is to be spoil their love for each other?  I loved the pacing and look of the film.  Robert and Meryl are both excellent.

7. How to Train Your Dragon (2010) -- If you're someone who likes dogs, this one may work for you.  I know it did for me.  A young viking, Hiccup (Jay Baruchel), dreams of being a killer of dragons like all the other men in his village.  The problem is, he's not really a killer at heart.  Enter Toothless, a young dragon that was wounded by Hiccup.  A friendship is born and lessons are to be learned.  This one got me teary at the end.  It's a good one.

8. Once (2006) -- Who would have thought I'd like a film steeped in folk music?  Well, I did.  It's a very simple film with a lovely romance at its core.  I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent with Guy (Glen Hansard) and Girl (Marketa Irglova).  Everything is understated with our couple.  It feels very natural.  The music is also very good.  It fits the emotions of the film.  I loved the ending.

9. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) -- I was so glad to see that Jackie also likes this film.  It's often seen as the worst of Wes' pictures, but I found it to be charming.  Bill Murray is his typical crazy self.  I thought he was terrific.  But I enjoyed the entire cast.  Owen Wilson, Cate Blanchett, Jeff Goldblum, Angelica Huston, and Willem Dafoe are all stellar.  They end up forming an odd family, so often found in Wes' films.

10. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) -- For me to end up caring about a jerk says a lot.  And that's usually how Wes Anderson's films go.  He makes the unlikable rather likable by film's end.  Gustave (Ralph Fiennes) surely ain't one to love at the outset.  But you slowly start to develop a fondness for him.  Especially with the strong emotional ending.  Love the scenery in this one.  Lots of colors.  Great cast.  Good Wes humor.

11. Little Miss Sunshine (2006) -- Boy, you are right about this one, Jackie.  That ending.  Whoa!  Completely not PC.  I think those who gripe about PC being a negative would really spit up if they watched the ending of this one.  They would love PC at that very moment!  If you like dysfunctional families, this one is for you.  I liked the love in the film.  The love of understanding and differences.  The message is my kind of message.  Great performances abound.  Alan Arkin is the best, though.

12. The Darjeeling Limited (2007) -- Even Wes Anderson's lesser offerings are good.  While I didn't love this one, I still liked it a lot.  Tons of quirkiness to be found, of course.  The three brothers are a trip together.  I like how each handles the grief they each face and how they eventually come to grieve as a family.  Ahhhh, Wes.  Nobody does dysfunctional families better.

13. Good Will Hunting (1997) -- My identifying a bit with Will (Matt Damon) helped me to like this film.  But what really had me liking the film was Will and Sean's (Robin Williams) sessions.  Those were excellent.  I like how they both challenged each other.  A  father/son relationship eventually emerged.

14. Beauty and the Beast (1991) -- I was dreading watching this one but ended up pleasantly surprised.  It helped that I had seen Jean Cocteau's The Beauty and the Beast, so I was very familiar with the story.  And I like the story.  While I definitely prefer Cocteau's version, I enjoyed this one.  I was even okay with the songs.  Gaston (Richard White) and Lumiere (Jerry Orbach) made a good comedic team.

15. Hotel Transylvania (2012) -- It took me a little while to get into this one, but I eventually got there.  I do like Adam Sandler and his kind of humor, so it helped that he and his cronies were behind this one.  The story is about an overprotective father, Dracula (Adam Sandler), and his teenage daughter, Mavis (Selena Gomez).  The daughter falls for a human (Andy Samberg), who is a total goofball, and dad doesn't approve.

16. Finding Nemo (2003) -- The manic comedy of Albert Brooks is greatly on display here.  And I mostly liked him.  Dory (Ellen DeGeneres) is also funny.  Even the side story featuring Nemo (Alexander Gould) was humorous.  The emotional impact is very good, too.  It's a strong father/son story.  So why doesn't it rate higher for me?  I'm not sure.  I think it's because I never fell for any one aspect of the film or characters.  I can see why it's held in high esteem, though.  The animation is excellent.

17. ParaNorman (2012) -- A Goonies-esque kind of animated horror comedy that features some strong artwork and animation.  Like many films of today, this film features differences and the accepting of those differences.  It also places a great deal of focus on bullying and its negativity.  But, oddly enough, the sensibilities still seem more like the 80s than today.  Maybe that's why I liked the film.

18. Frozen (2013) -- I may be the only person in the world who likes the film because of Kristoff (Jonathan Groff).  He completely makes the film for me.  I like the kind of guy he is and how he was actually willing to let Anna (Kristen Bell) go.  Well, sort of.  I also liked the sisterly message of the film.  It's quite good.  I didn't like the big twist.  It's rather amazing that I still like the film despite this.

19. Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind (2004) -- I love the beginning of this film, how Joel (Jim Carrey) and Clementine (Kate Winslett) come to meet.  Then it gets messy, as each looks to wipe the other from their memories.  The side story in the film is also distracting to me.  I wanted to like this one more.

20. Lost in Translation (2003) -- A very quiet film with a mature romance at its heart.  In many ways, there is a classic film feel to this one.  I thought Sofia Coppola's usage of silence did well to underscore the feeling of loneliness and alienation the two leads (Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray) were feeling.

21. Monsters University (2013) -- The setting of college is what doomed this film for me.  I just couldn't get into the entire fraternity competition.  The entire "nerds" angle didn't interest me at all.  And without a character like Boo around, the emotional impact was far less for me.  Having said all of that, the film is still decent.  It ends up being a good "friendship" film.

22. Robin Hood (1973) -- I found this film to be fun but not that emotionally deep.  I certainly liked the playful confidence of Robin Hood Fox (Brian Bedford).  I also liked the comedy of Little John (Phil Harris).  They are the highlights for me.

23. Ratatouille (2007) -- One of the most unique animated films I have seen.  It's definitely different than most.  There is a lot to like about the film, too.  I love the animation and the entire idea of making a film about rats.  That's all good.  What I didn't like was the overall story.  It falls short for me.  I also find the undertaking of the cooking to be silly.  The emotional impact isn't too great, either.

24. The Little Mermaid (1989) -- I was expecting a lot more from this picture.  Everyone seemingly loves Ariel!  But the story seemed rather empty and not that engrossing.  I do like the songs in the film, though.  I liked Sebastian (Samuel E. Wright).

25. Brave (2012) -- I struggled with this one.  While I do believe the film has merit as a mother/daughter picture, I just did not like the big transformation that happens.  I also wanted Merida (Kelly Macdonald) to use her archery skills.  She barely does.

Well HELLO Lord Business! :D

1. The Lego Movie (2014) -- This is now my favorite animated film of all.

Wowsa!!! Now that is a surprise! Ha.. or should I say.. it's "Awesome" (because everything IS,  you know. ha) :D

My favorites are Vitruvius (he got most of the best lines.. "All this is true.. because it rhymes" HA! and I also love GoodCop/BadCop. (we go around  here all the time, doing our best "Liam Neeson" "TOO Bad") ha.

And I have to confess.. I saw the movie trailer for this when we were at the theater to watch something else and I literally laughed out loud. ha (with the bit about Batmobile AND Wonder Woman's invisible jet") TOO funny. ha.  I don't think they could have crammed one more thing into that film, but oh my goodness. they sure did try. But despite what it might sound like (when trying to describe it to someone else, ha) it WORKS. There is not one thing about this film that was disappointing. Very funny. (for kids and grownups alike) and the ending w/ "The Man Upstairs" was terrific. 

But then.. hmmm... having said that.. maybe THIS is "How it Should have Ended" 

(And now  you know the kidling's and my newest obsession. ha.. looking up all our "favorites" to see if they have made a HISE episode out of it.. too silly.. but still pretty fun). :D

2. Up (2009) -- What a cry-fest this was for me.

It really is something wonderful, isn't it? And aside from just being a great movie (and the fun memories I have of watching w/ the kidling) I have already told you about the little boy I used to work with and the ties I have to him with this movie.. so yeah.. ha. Bring on the kleenex every time I watch it.. but it is worth it all. (and it's another favorite for us to go about quoting.. ha. There are so many favorites I can't even begin to list them.. but a lot of them are either from Russel ("There's no tigers in South America.. Zoology!") and Dug ("I have just met you , and I love you")  And I am with you.. Kevin is very endearing. Very emotional in a subtle way..  you don't expect it..and then there it is.. the first time you hear those babies crying. 

But ha.. you gotta love the "bad guys" too.. ALPHA!! What a laugh riot when you hear him for the first time.. too funny.

3. The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) -- Fantastic!  Wallace and Gromit are simply awesome.  Love me some Gromit!  Love all his facial expressions and his utter exasperation with Wallace.  The story was really fun.  I'm someone who enjoys fun animated horror, and this one is great silly fun.  I also love the naughtiness of the film.  Lots of innuendo!

I have seen a portion of a W. And G movie.. not this one.. but I think if I recall it was about a penguin who was running from the law??? I don't recall too much other than it was funny. (Wallace was so obtuse.. ha. And poor Gromit kept trying to catch the penguin) I don't think I saw more than half of it.. it was one of those situations where it was being shown in a classroom where I was working and I had to leave before it was over.. ha. Just my luck) I should try to find it and watch.. if only to see how it ended! And golly.. if you liked W&G that much, I may need to check into the Were-Rabbit now too.  

4. Monsters, Inc. (2001) -- Sweet and funny, this one lived up to the hype.  It's superb.  Billy Crystal and John Goodman are magnificent as monster pals, Mike and "Sulley".  But who ends up stealing the film is Boo (Mary Gibbs).  To see her turn both of the guys upside down is a riot and adorable.  What a beautiful ending, too.

A very sweet and funny movie for sure.. just as you say. I still remember taking my youngest stepson and my 4 nieces and nephews (at the time I only had 4) to see this when it first came out at the theater.  And then after the kidling was born, we had to buy it.. and she has loved it for YEARS and years.  I still remember thinking how amazing it was that they could actually make a big green eyeball look like Billy Crystal. ha. But they DID. And this film in another that we quote from around here all the time.. if someone leaves a sock on the floor.. the first person to see it will yell "23-19!" ha! (but thank goodness.. we don't shave anyone) :D  The kidling really was excited when they came out with Monsters U.. but I am with you.. it didn't stand out as much for me. I probably liked it a bit better than you did.. but it was missing a lot (if you compare it to the first one) 

5. Bolt (2008) -- Quiet Gal pegged me right!  I really liked this one.  I loved Bolt's being fooled into believing he was actually a superhero.  I loved Mittens (Susie Essman).  Her NYC sarcasm was terrific.  I loved her backstory.  I was a bit teary by the end of this one.  I even liked the "one big family" ending.

Wow.. I got one right.. ha. But I am surprised you rated it this high (only because for whatever reason I just couldn't get into it as well.. ha. But hey.. that alone should have been an indicator for me that you WOULD rate it higher. ha) I did like it well enough though. (the hamster is my favorite) 

7. How to Train Your Dragon (2010) -- If you're someone who likes dogs, this one may work for you.  I know it did for me... This one got me teary at the end.  It's a good one.

Now you got me on this one. I don't know why, but i didn't think  you would go for this one as much as you did. I am glad you like it. This was another one of those movies that I had pretty low expectations for and then was pleasantly surprised. And I am with the kidling on Toothless.. he is one of my all time favorite movie dragons. They did such a great job of animating him that  you know just what he is thinking every moment of the story. I love that he has a "voice" even though he doesn't speak. If you  like this one, then I  do recommend the sequel. It is different in some respects.. but still very good. It has a LOT stronger themes in it though.. I mentioned earlier.. it was almost too much for the kidling.. but then after it was over, she loved it. If  you were "teary" at the end of the first one.. have twice as many kleenex on had for the second. ha.  

14. Beauty and the Beast (1991) -- Lumiere (Jerry Orbach)

He ABSOLUTELY makes the whole movie for me. ha.The song, "Be Our Guest" is my favorite part of the entire movie. I never knew this was "Lenny Briscoe" from Law and Order (my only other more favorite role for him)  until years later.. I was shocked.   And I DO like Gaston too (as in.. Iike to see him get what's coming to him, ha) As Disney bad guys go.. he's right up there. Loud, arrogant, selfish, and just plain mean.. a bully from start to finish. The kidling and I love to change the words to the song.. No one STINKS like Gaston. ha. :D

He's one of those guys you just love to hate.

16. Finding Nemo (2003) --  So why doesn't it rate higher for me?  I'm not sure.  

Well based on how you rated it, you still like it better than I did. And I can tell you why I didn't like it.. ha. But it would only be one of those things that makes sense to me. :D  I did find some parts of it enjoyable.. just not one that I really was bowled over by. 

18. Frozen (2013) -- I may be the only person in the world who likes the film because of Kristoff (Jonathan Groff).  He completely makes the film for me.  I like the kind of guy he is and how he was actually willing to let Anna (Kristen Bell) go.  Well, sort of.  I also liked the sisterly message of the film.  It's quite good.  I didn't like the big twist.  It's rather amazing that I still like the film despite this.

I am just so surprised  you not only saw this film.. but you  LIKED it. ha. Way cool (no pun intended!!) :D  And I LIKE that you like Kristoff. ha. I remember sitting in the theater when we saw this for the first time and when you see Kristoff and Sven (the very first time after they are grown up) I was AFRAID that Sven was going to be a talking reindeer.. and I was all prepared to roll my eyes.. and then when I realized what was REALLY happening.. ha. I loved it.

And to be honest.. I did not have much hope for THIS movie either.. all because of the previews.  I thought Olaf was the DOOFIEST looking thing I ever saw.. ha. But he ended  up being my most favorite character of the whole thing. I l-o-v-e LOVE him, ha. (his song is my favorite in the entire movie)  

I didn't like the big twist.

I really like the "twist" ending. (HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!! Stop reading now if you have never seen this movie.. no really.. ha. I MEAN It!)   :D  I had NO idea about the bad guy.. at all. I NEVER saw him coming. For a Disney to hide the bad guy THAT well was a real feat. You ALWAYS know who they are in Disney films.. it's obvious to anyone. You spend the whole movie hating them and waiting for them to be defeated.  But not in THIS film.. very, very unexpected. 

Oh.. ha.. and just for kicks.. here is how Frozen SHOULD have ended..in case  you ever wondered.. ha.   :D

MRSMarriedLadyTea!

I wish I could say I liked White Cliffs of Dover but I didn't, I really didn't!  I remember really looking forward to it, thinking it would be something romantic in a myster-ly British way, but it disappointed me.  

Can't win them all!

Jackie!  Welcome back to you, too.  I've missed your way with word-pictures.  "Snively" Richard Widmark---B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T, I say.

Ro---in the midst of the modern we do have persuade Grimes to watch one more classic favorite of ours which was on TCM this weekend (and of course I HAD to watch it when it aired): THE BAD SEED with our dear, darling RHODA.  Ha ha!!!!!  After all, he's so fond of dangerous blondes....

• Like 1

Okie Doke!

Should we all contribute and make suggestions for Jackie's avatar or are you preferring to go "incognito", Miss Favell?  :D

???

Marshall.jpg

Or....???

rebecca02.jpg

• Like 1

You have me to blame for a few of his suggestions from the 30's. I'm SORRY! I'll never do it again! :D Love ya, does that count?!

No I'm glad you did, dahlink.  I do like my 30s movies, too, even if I am preoccupied with other TV shows and films at the moment.

By the way, I think  you might actually like the Doctor Takes a Wife. It's really good! I know you are usually hit or miss with Loretta's comedies, but this one was brilliant!

I've seen most of it and it wasn't bad, I rather liked what I remember.  

And don't you let Grimey push you around! We'll just get some devil's food cake and play "pie in the face". GASP! That sounds fun actually! Heehee!

No Devil's Food Cake for me!  My doctor is keeping me off of wheat for a while.  I'm SO MAD.

Aloha, Sandpiper -- boy i got a couple of your titles completely mixed up with other movies.  sorry about that.

It must be the time difference!

Probably the peroxide, too.

I would have really loved the ending if it was how it looked to be!  But what was done was very good, too.

FASTEST GUN ALIVE SPOILER!

You always want everyone to be dead at the end.

Are they not the same one?  They eventually showed The Legend of Sleepy Hollow on its own.

I didn't know that.  I wonder if I've seen the whole feature or not.  Maybe as a kid.  I always thought the "Sleepy Hollow" cartoon was a stand-alone production.

There are some scary scenes in Dumbo.  It's also rather sad with Dumbo being separated from his mother.  Bambi was after Dumbo in 1942 and then the next "big" Disney animated film is Cinderella, in 1950.

Believe it or not I have never seen this cartoon version.  And another classic Disney I had not seen until just this past summer is Sleeping Beauty.  My former room mate is a big Disney fan, even as an adult.  I wasn't too thrilled with it (Sleeping Beauty).  

It's in the Hammer film noir collection, so you may have missed it or just don't recall it.  It's also known as The Flanagan Boy.

somehow I missed it. maybe i judged it by the title.  I wish ClassicFlix would get streaming.  Most of these movies are only available through them for me (if I don't want to buy).

Why doesn't it surprise me to find out some penniless guy without clothes and poor manners doesn't float your boat? :D

Ha!  I like Cary in Father Goose!  Though he does have clothes.  Dirty ones.

You don't like goofy guys!  Maybe Bob Hope.

Yes, I love that Bob.  

I don't think he's the owner, but he works at the bookshop.

He owns it or runs it, I'm sure.

I know you are not crazy about Dane.

When I was just a kid I used to confuse him with Cameron Mitchell.  I do like Cameron, though, now, but not Dane so much.

It was a Sweet T suggestion because of Loretta Young.  It would have been even more shocking if I watched Esther!

It's not a swimming picture!  It's noir!