Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

I'm surprised you even knew how to spell the world "exotic".

Do you eat cottage cheese with ketchup?

Yes, I might be too stimulating for Your Blandness. Although I have been known to slow down and smell the roses.

My co-workers are lucky, because I give them massages all the time; for their headaches, backaches, and all around aches and pains.

I crack their fingers and necks. Foot massages too. No wonder they love me.

A friend introduced me to a good Mexican restaurant here in Boca

(not as good as in Chicago of course) So tonight I had a margarita,

pork chunks in garlic sauce, avocado, three kinds of salsa, corn tortillas.

Then we went out for ice cream.

I got pistachio.

Hey Mr. Grimes -

Got a few extra bucks lying around? Wanna bid on one of these?

_Original Lobby Photos_

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52933&item=230267021324

0512_1_lg.jpg

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52933&item=330248746476

0513_1_lg.jpg

Maybe if ya sell your Pirates tickets. (Ya can still get a few bucks for those, can't ya?)

Haven't looked for any Grace Photos yet. Thought I'd let you have all the fun.

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk

Good morning, Minya's Big Adventure -- I love your bike! Have you been riding it of late? Did your red dress come in yet?

Holy Deep in the Heart of, Batgirl -- Waterbeds were also very cool.

Now why doesn't this statement surprise me?

I needed a new bed and for my 13th birthday my parents bought me a waterbed.

That young, huh?

Do they even still make those today ? ha!

I guess so since Minya has one in the back of her bike. Or maybe she made her own to lie in.

I'm probably going to see The Dark Knight tonight. Do you think I'm going to walk out like a sissy girl who shall go butterscotchless?

Ciao, Boringman Chris -- Have I mentioned that I'm boring? I'm also quite individualistic. I never really cared what the "crowd" was doing or what was seen as accepted by society. I still don't. I don't mind being the only one, even if it means I'm the lonely one.

Well, here I thought I was the only one like that. Boring? I think I'm part of the club too. Although to put a positive spin on it I'd say we were "laid back."

"Laid-back"? So that's what we are. So can "laid-back" guys run at the mouth? :D Actually, I am on the laid-back side... and the talkative side.

Your dull and sober friend, Chris

I raise my glass of water. Don't tell Minya, but her mattress is a glass short. :)

What's cookin', Bronxie? -- I'm surprised you even knew how to spell the world "exotic".

I cut and paste what you wrote. I thought it was spelled "izzzzzzzzzzNOTic."

Do you eat cottage cheese with ketchup?

The only way I could eat cottage cheese is if it were ketchup.

Yes, I might be too stimulating for Your Blandness.

Everyone is too stimulating for My Blandness.

Although I have been known to slow down and smell the roses.

Can Mr. Blandings be a rose?

My co-workers are lucky, because I give them massages all the time; for their headaches, backaches, and all around aches and pains. I crack their fingers and necks. Foot massages too. No wonder they love me.

Now I understand your fully-clothed massage dreams. That's not that exotic. I better contact Minya and her water bed on two wheels.

A friend introduced me to a good Mexican restaurant here in Boca (not as good as in Chicago of course) So tonight I had a margarita, pork chunks in garlic sauce, avocado, three kinds of salsa, corn tortillas. Then we went out for ice cream. I got pistachio.

How in the world can you eat ice cream after Mexican food? My tummy hurts. I'm headed to Chris' place.

Good early morning to you, Kylefornia -- Hey Mr. Grimes - Got a few extra bucks lying around?

Biggest laugh of the day.

Wanna bid on one of these?

Am I in Vegas with Minya? Ohhh, photos.

Maybe if ya sell your Pirates tickets. (Ya can still get a few bucks for those, can't ya?)

More laughs!

Haven't looked for any Grace Photos yet. Thought I'd let you have all the fun.

I'd probably rather have the Gumby Christmas toys.

Despite being a sports fan all my life, I've never been big on memorabilia. It just doesn't interest me in the least. I'm not the kind of guy who would seek an autograph of anyone. I'm not into photos or art or decorative things. I'm too practical for that. Have I told you that I'm boring?

I like Grace Kelly and Gene Tierney and Gloria Grahame, but only as beautiful actresses. That's where it starts and stops for me. Real people interest me far more.

>"Laid-back"? So that's what we are. So can "laid-back" guys run at the mouth? Actually, I am on the laid-back side... and the talkative side.

Laid back guys can run at the mouth but we have to be good in what we say lest others think us boring.

Talk away.

*"I've never been big on memorabilia. It just doesn't interest me in the least. I'm not into photos or art or decorative things. I'm too practical for that."* - FrankGrimes

Then how do you explain that Farrah Fawcett poster on your walls?

And that Willie Stargell poster too?

*"Have I told you that I'm boring?"*

No. My invitation to that pity party must have gotten lost in the mail.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey, Chris -- Laid back guys can run at the mouth but we have to be good in what we say lest others think us boring.

The trick is, you have to listen.

So what does your current top ten favorite westerns list look like?

Howdy, SoKyle -- "I've never been big on memorabilia. It just doesn't interest me in the least. I'm not into photos or art or decorative things. I'm too practical for that." - FrankGrimes

Then how do you explain that Farrah Fawcett poster on your walls? And that Willie Stargell poster too?

:D Was never big on posters. Cards, yes.

"Have I told you that I'm boring?"

No. My invitation to that pity party must have gotten lost in the mail.

Let me slice you some cake before Bronxie uses her pepper spray on it.

*I love your bike! Have you been riding it of late? Did your red dress come in yet?*

I'm madly in love with my bike, but I've only had a chance to ride it a little. My dress was backorderd AGAIN! It's like I said-there's something about me and the color red recently. It's still supposed to be here in time for the wedding, but I may not be able to test it out on my birthday. I'm buying some back up dresses just in case.

*I'm probably going to see The Dark Knight tonight.*

I'm happy to see this! I just saw it last night in IMAX and I was thrilled with the result. Plus, they had a preview for Watchmen which will also be showing in IMAX. This is big news for former comic books geeks like myself.

*Don't tell Minya, but her mattress is a glass short.*

Is that like being a brick short of a full load?

*Am I in Vegas with Minya? Ohhh, photos.*

As they say, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. I guess. :)

>The trick is, you have to listen.

So what does your current top ten favorite westerns list look like?

Hiya "Frankie"

Listening all the time. My list this week includes -

1. "The Big Country." 2. "Westward The Women" 3. "The Searchers" 4. "Winchester '73" 5. "Silverado" 6. "The Tin Star" 7. "Red River." 8. "7 Men From Now." 9. "The Man From Laramie." 10. "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon."

Subject to change by whatever I watch this week. (What does that say that I have more Mann the Ford fims?)

And yours?

*"Was never big on posters. Cards, yes."* - FrankGrimes

Why don't ya send some Topps to Mlle. Minya so she can clothespin them to the spokes of her new bike? You don't really want that Roberto Clemente rookie card, do ya?

Kyle In Hollywood

Hey there, Geeky Girl -- I'm madly in love with my bike, but I've only had a chance to ride it a little.

It's a good thing your bike is red because I believe he's blushing.

My dress was backorderd AGAIN!

What?! The dress must know where it's headed. :P

It's like I said-there's something about me and the color red recently.

And the colors blue, green, yellow, pink, orange, brown, black, white, purple...

It's still supposed to be here in time for the wedding, but I may not be able to test it out on my birthday. I'm buying some back up dresses just in case.

Don't think I didn't notice the plural. I say the heck with the dress. Give them all something to talk about. You can find out once and for all, "As they say, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. I guess."

I'm probably going to see The Dark Knight tonight.

I'm happy to see this! I just saw it last night in IMAX and I was thrilled with the result.

I can also see it in IMAX, but I'm passing on that tonight. Maybe later.

Plus, they had a preview for Watchmen which will also be showing in IMAX. This is big news for former comic books geeks like myself.

I had a few comics when I was around 10-ish. That was about it for me. I love superhero stuff, though. It's because of cartoons, not comics.

Don't tell Minya, but her mattress is a glass short.

Is that like being a brick short of a full load?

In your case...

Howdy, Cowboy Chris -- Hiya "Frankie"

You're not wearing long black gloves, by chance? Maybe the Invisible Woman will show herself some day soon.

Listening all the time.

You seem to be quite good at it, too.

My list this week includes -

1. "The Big Country." 2. "Westward The Women" 3. "The Searchers" 4. "Winchester '73" 5. "Silverado" 6. "The Tin Star" 7. "Red River." 8. "7 Men From Now." 9. "The Man From Laramie." 10. "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon."

Now that's a fascinating list.

I noticed you and Miss Snippy were talking about The Big Country. I didn't realize it was your favorite western. I've only seen the beginning of the film. I liked seeing Carroll Baker. She's such a pretty woman.

I have only seen four of your top ten. Or have I? :D I've heard very good things about 7 Men From Now. I have The Tin Star on tape. The DVD just recently went OOP.

Subject to change by whatever I watch this week.

Don't I know it. My tastes have changed since I've been on this board.

(What does that say that I have more Mann the Ford fims?)

I was very surprised to see this because I thought Ford's brand of westerns would be more to your liking than Mann, even though I do know you like Mann.

And yours?

1. Once Upon a Time in the West

2. The Wild Bunch

3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

4. For a Few Dollars More

5. High Noon

6. The Searchers

7. Forty Guns (it keeps rising)

8. Winchester '73

9. The Naked Spur

10. Johnny Guitar

11. Man of the West

12. The Professionals

13. My Darling Clementine

14. Rio Grande

15. Red River

16. A Fistful of Dollars

17. The Ox-Bow Incident

18. Stagecoach

19. The Shooting

20. Hombre

Good day, Professor Hill -- Why don't ya send some Topps to Mlle. Minya so she can clothespin them to the spokes of her new bike? You don't really want that Roberto Clemente rookie card, do ya?

:D Now that is something I have done a few times in my life. No Clemente rookie cards for me.

Many on your list would be on my top 20. I really like your inclusion of "Hombre." A very good and nasty Richard Boone. Strong silent Paul Newman. Good all the way 'round.

I've never cared much for the "Spaghetti Westerns." For me they are often too long with long stretches of not much going on. I do enjoy and have quite a few of those you enjoy. One that came to mind to suggest to you is "Escape From Ft. Bravo" with William Holden. It has a very tense ending which adds to an already decent western. Holden is cynical (and good) as usual.

"Forty Guns" is going on my list. If it keeps rising for you then I'll check it out. I like most any western. Other's not on your list you might enjoy are "Jubal" and "The Fastest Gun Alive" with Glenn Ford. "The Last Wagon" and "Warlock" with Richard Widmark. I could go on but I'll leave it. Maybe we'll pick a title, get MissG and some other friends and have a nice chat on them.

Not to worry, I won't be using that greeting again if it conjures up the thought of me in long black gloves. I'll leave that for the two of you to work out.

Chris

Dear Frank-That's-F-As-In-Ford-Grimes:

That's quite a fine list of Westerns, pardner -- aside from the plethora of movies by you-know-who, which is an indication that you've gone to the dark (and I don't mean John Alton) side. And you're durn tootin' that *Forty Guns* should be rising. Need some Jacques Tourneur Westerns to fill it out and replace some of the surplusage.

*The Shooting* has now been placed on my rental list, thanks to you. I need more Monte Hellman. Would I be correct in assuming that Warren Oates is the lovable, sympathetic sidekick? A Gabby Hayes-type? I do enjoy Jack Nicholson before he became JACK NICHOLSON.

What's up, Baltimore -- It's hot here, so I know it's hot there. Sticky.

Many on your list would be on my top 20.

My list is rather typical guy at this point since I've barely scratched the western surface.

I really like your inclusion of "Hombre." A very good and nasty Richard Boone. Strong silent Paul Newman. Good all the way 'round.

Newman as a half-breed is a bit of a stretch, but I've never been one to worry about such things. Hombre is basically an updated version of Stagecoach, just a little harsher. I do like how you described Newman's character: strong and silent. That's exactly it. His words carry weight because of it. Boone is brilliantly bad.

I've never cared much for the "Spaghetti Westerns." For me they are often too long with long stretches of not much going on.

I'm someone who loves "silence" in film. It actually draws me into a story more. I also like male characters who are silent, ala Eastwood's "Man with No Name."

Hitchcock, The Wild Bunch, and "Spaghetti" westerns were the "gateway" films for me. They are what got me into classic film.

One that came to mind to suggest to you is "Escape From Ft. Bravo" with William Holden. It has a very tense ending which adds to an already decent western. Holden is cynical (and good) as usual.

I've never heard of that one. I'll have to seek it out. I definitely like cynicism.

"Forty Guns" is going on my list. If it keeps rising for you then I'll check it out. I like most any western.

It's a Sam Fuller western, so you know it's going to be different than the rest. I just love the high notes in the film. I was taken by surprise many times, especially at the end. I really enjoy Barry Sullivan's performance in the film and I like Barbara Stanwyck until the very end. If you get to see it, I'll explain my reasons then.

Other's not on your list you might enjoy are "Jubal" and "The Fastest Gun Alive" with Glenn Ford. "The Last Wagon" and "Warlock" with Richard Widmark. I could go on but I'll leave it.

Richard Widmark and Glenn Ford are two of my favorite actors, so those look to be very good suggestions.

Maybe we'll pick a title, get MissG and some other friends and have a nice chat on them.

Let's leave Miss G out. She chats enough as it is. Plus, I don't think she knows how to be "nice." :P:P

Not to worry, I won't be using that greeting again if it conjures up the thought of me in long black gloves. I'll leave that for the two of you to work out.

Ohh, I was just playin'. You can call me "Frankie," if you like. It's just that I always think of Butterscotch when I see "Frankie." It's just a crying shame she drank the invisible potion and has disappeared on us... again. I guess she's off attending every wedding possible.

Bonjour, Miss Snippy -- What is The Shooting (aside from what you deserve for your cracks)? I never heard of that movie.

You are the one who deserves to be cracked. I cannot believe Chris actually wishes to chat with you, of all people. I guess he feels sorry for you. I just think you're sorry. :P:P

You would not like The Shooting. It's a low-budget western from 1967. It stars Warren Oates, Millie Perkins, Will Hutchins, and... Jack Nicholson.

This IMDb user comment made me chuckle:

Most casual film viewers will find Monte Hellman's "The Shooting" to be slow, boring, and pretentious. But serious fans of cinema will be amazed at how terrific this existential morality play really is. Hellman's version of the old West is at once depressing and beautiful, and the rickety production values on display actually enhance the atmosphere. And of course, who can forget that inscrutable ending with echoes to the Zapruder film? This is fascinating stuff for the patient, thoughtful film student.

Sounds like your kind of flick, does it not?

Millie Perkins asks for Warren Oates and Will Hutchins' assistance in helping her find a man. They reluctantly agree and set off on a mysterious journey.

Perkins and Nicholson are awful human beings whereas Oates and Hutchins are kindhearted. Oates is skeptical but Hutchins is very naive and too trusting. He's basically a big kid. The mix of the four personalities is frightening and sometimes harsh.

The film's sparseness and minimalism reflects it's low budget, which in turn creates an eerie western atmosphere. You get the feeling of doom from start to finish, and the landscape adds greatly to this effect.

theshooting2.jpg

theshooting6.jpg

theshooting7.jpg

theshooting8.jpg

Dear Frank-That's-F-As-In-Ford-Grimes:

Or "F" as in "Fool."

Welcome back, ChicagOwen! How was your holiday?

That's quite a fine list of Westerns, pardner

Thanks, Griff.

aside from the plethora of movies by you-know-who, which is an indication that you've gone to the dark (and I don't mean John Alton) side.

I'm a lost cause, you know that. I'm probably going to get another Johann Altmann film on DVD next month. If I remember correctly, it is a film that you do appreciate: Slightly Scarlet.

I'm ashamed to admit, I have 22 Ford films on DVD. :D I only have 8 Alton. Heck, I only have 15 Mann AND Lang.

And you're durn tootin' that Forty Guns should be rising.

I just love that film. It's a very unique western. Fuller doesn't go with drawn-out drama, he instead chooses to punch fast and hard. I truly was shocked by many of the high points in the film. It's a good kind of jarring.

Need some Jacques Tourneur Westerns to fill it out and replace some of the surplusage.

I completely concur. What are your suggestions? I already know that your favorite western is Stars in My Crown, and I will be taping it in September. What else?

Upcoming Tourneur TCM sked:

8/3 Days of Glory 12:00 PM EST

8/6 Nightfall 9:30 AM EST

9/6 Out of the Past 4:45 AM EST

9/22 Stars in My Crown 9:30 PM EST

9/25 Nightfall 12:45 PM EST

10/22 Cat People 1:45 AM EST

10/22 I Walked with a Zombie 3:00 AM EST

10/29 Out of the Past 11:45 PM EST

10/30 I Walked with a Zombie 9:00 AM EST

10/30 Curse of the Demon 10:15 AM EST

10/31 Cat People 7:30 AM EST

The Shooting has now been placed on my rental list, thanks to you. I need more Monte Hellman.

While The Shooting is certainly NOT a western for Miss G it certainly IS a western for you. I think you'll eat it up. The DVD also features a commentary track with Monte Hellman and Millie Perkins. It's pretty good.

Would I be correct in assuming that Warren Oates is the lovable, sympathetic sidekick? A Gabby Hayes-type?

You would be incorrect. Oates is the lead, and he's exceptional. You will be pleasantly surprised by his performance. Millie Perkins is brilliant as "Woman." She's almost as cold as Miss G. Almost. :P

I do enjoy Jack Nicholson before he became JACK NICHOLSON.

Jack is a nasty S.O.B. in the film. You'll dig his performance. You'll also love the look of the film. Hellman could not have plucked any better locations to shoot such doom. It's a film you will want to watch more than once.

> {quote:title=ChiO wrote:}{quote}

> Dear Frank-That's-F-As-In-Ford-Grimes:

>

> That's quite a fine list of Westerns, pardner -- aside from the plethora of movies by you-know-who, which is an indication that you've gone to the dark (and I don't mean John Alton) side. And you're durn tootin' that *Forty Guns* should be rising. Need some Jacques Tourneur Westerns to fill it out and replace some of the surplusage.

>

> *The Shooting* has now been placed on my rental list, thanks to you. I need more Monte Hellman. Would I be correct in assuming that Warren Oates is the lovable, sympathetic sidekick? A Gabby Hayes-type? I do enjoy Jack Nicholson before he became JACK NICHOLSON.

Jack (as NOT in Ford) stars in The Shooting? Then it's definitely not for me.

*I can also see it in IMAX, but I'm passing on that tonight. Maybe later.*

If you like it when you see it tonight, definitely think about it. It will blow you away. I like Batman anyway, so I wasn't really thinking about the hype, but it lives up to everything I'd heard. Heath Ledger is unbelievable. There's plenty of action and explosions, but the story is great as well-for once a big budget movie didn't scrimp on the screenplay.

If you like it when you see it tonight, definitely think about it. It will blow you away.

I'm sure I will like it, it's just how much. The Dark Knight will be at my IMAX until October.

I like Batman anyway, so I wasn't really thinking about the hype, but it lives up to everything I'd heard.

I never pay attention to that stuff.

Heath Ledger is unbelievable.

I'm definitely expecting that. Ledger was a terrific actor. He took acting seriously. Too serious, I'm afraid.

There's plenty of action and explosions, but the story is great as well-for once a big budget movie didn't scrimp on the screenplay.

Chris Nolan is a filmmaker I trust. I'm confident that he won't just throw explosions at the screen without having some sort of story.

_FrankG_ said:

*I'm probably going to get another Johann Altmann film on DVD next month. If I remember correctly, it is a film that you do appreciate: Slightly Scarlet.*

I hope you enjoy it. It is Exhibit 1 in demonstrating that film noir during the Classic Period can be in color. It's probably my second favorite James M. Cain adaptation, Numero Uno being Ossessione. If nothing else, it has Arlene Dahl _and_ Rhonda Fleming -- that ain't slightly scarlet (and I don't mean O'Hara).

*I already know that your favorite western is Stars in My Crown, and I will be taping it in September. What else?*

Note that some would contend that *Stars In My Crown* is _not_ a Western. Period: Reconstruction. Locale: west of the Appalachian Mountains. Other elements: there are horses. Yup -- it's a Western, alrighty. It is my favorite movie after *Citizen Kane* and *The Passion of Joan of Arc* (heard of that? seen it yet? I _will_ torture you until you do).

Unfortunately, I believe that *Canyon Passage* is the only Tourneur Western available to rent or buy. It's definitely a keeper. I like *Great Day In the Morning* far more than anyone else I know who has seen it. *Wichita* is another one to hope that TCM will show.

Aloha, ChiO -- I see your holiday hasn't caused you to lose a step. That's great to see. Keep giving Fordy Guns the business. She needs a good whack or ten.

I'm probably going to get another Johann Altmann film on DVD next month. If I remember correctly, it is a film that you do appreciate: Slightly Scarlet.

I hope you enjoy it. It is Exhibit 1 in demonstrating that film noir during the Classic Period can be in color.

Color is usually a film noir no-no, so I must see it for myself. Leave Her to Heaven and House of Bamboo (I forget who directs) are also rare color films noir to me.

It's probably my second favorite James M. Cain adaptation, Numero Uno being Ossessione.

Ossessione! Now we're talkin'.

If nothing else, it has Arlene Dahl and Rhonda Fleming -- that ain't slightly scarlet (and I don't mean O'Hara).

That's a major selling point for me. ;)

Note that some would contend that Stars In My Crown is not a Western. Period: Reconstruction. Locale: west of the Appalachian Mountains. Other elements: there are horses. Yup -- it's a Western, alrighty.

Is there a saloon?

One of my favorite classification dealies is when film noirheads say it's not a film noir unless there is a femme fatale.

It is my favorite movie after Citizen Kane and The Passion of Joan of Arc (heard of that? seen it yet? I will torture you until you do).

The Passion of Joan of Arc? I've never heard of that one. Is that a Ford film? And please do not tell me you like Citizen Kane. Didn't you read the "script"? Your line reads: "it's overrated." Now say it with disgust!

Unfortunately, I believe that Canyon Passage is the only Tourneur Western available to rent or buy. It's definitely a keeper.

I'm adding it to me listy.

I like Great Day In the Morning far more than anyone else I know who has seen it. Wichita is another one to hope that TCM will show.

It's up to TCM to save me here. I've taped a few Tourneur flicks this year. I'm slowly building my cache.