Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

Ciao, Bronxie! -- Warmest of holiday wishes, my friends, my friends!

I hope the new year has been treating you well.

Frank, I just love Bogie as a psycho, from THE RETURN OF DR. X, CONFLICT, THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS, IN A LONELY PLACE, and THE CAINE MUTINY.

I like seeing him that way, too.  I love how intense he gets.

Margaret Rutherford is the best thing about BLITHE SPIRIT.   She's the epitome of the British "eccentric".

But I love the wives!

Fine performances from Gene Tierney, Edmund Purdom, Michael Wilding, Bella Darvi, Victor Mature and Jean Simmons in THE EGYPTIAN.  This movie used to frighten me as a kidlet, especially the scenes of slaves stirring the natron in large pots for future mummies.

I'm glad you enjoy The Egyptian.  I was surprised when I liked it.  I didn't think that I would.  The cast is quite good. 

Back in the day, CRY 'HAVOC' used to play a lot on the old t.v.  I remember thinking the first time I ever saw this that it was probably the most depressing movie I'd ever seen.  I still think so.  A stereotyped "cross-section" of WWII volunteer nurses (stripper, socialite, etc.) are imprisoned in a Japanese labor camp.  Throw in sniper attacks, malaria, etc.  Very grim.

But it has Ann Sothern tossing quips all over the place!  She's lots of fun.

Some funny routines in A&C MEET THE MUMMY, my favorite being the newspaper boy mirage.  Plus, there's Marie Windsor.   Bud's stomach actually looked larger than Lou's.

I remember you mentioned how Bud consumed Lou in that picture.  Love Marie!  She really adds a lot to the film.

A STOLEN LIFE is pure Bette Davis camp.  The "twins" special effects are really good.  Dane Clark's intensity as a muscular-but-arty "New York" type is unintentionally amusing. 

I agree with your Dane comment.  What an odd role for him.  Heck, it's just odd in the film.  Oh that Bette and her duality.

I don't remember much of THIS PROPERTY IS CONDEMNED, except that it's probably one of Natalie Wood's best roles.

I definitely liked Natalie and Robert.  I never really believe Nat as a tart, though.

A basket full of kisses to all!

And a basket full of hugs for you! :D

Hey, Kingrat -- Always good to read your thoughts. 

Happy New Year, Frank.

Thank you!  And a Happy New Year to you!

A Stolen Life: Doggies are smarter than people, and this movie proves it. This same device was used in the recent Poirot entry, Elephants Can Remember. I'm very fond of this movie, though it can't go where we want it to, namely, would Glenn Ford know the difference if the other twin slept with him?

Yes, you got it.  It was the Glenn Ford aspect of the story that I had issues with.  I can kind of see why he'd choose Pat over Kate, for guys can often turn to the more sexual of women.  But it's the timing of it all that annoyed me.  It's such a whirlwind of change.  Then the latter part of the story really makes you wonder why he wouldn't notice the difference.  But you are right, we humans are stupid.

Heat Lightning: Mervyn LeRoy does a great job directing a play on a low budget. Aline MacMahon is great in the lead role, and what a supporting cast: Glenda Farrell, Ruth Donnelly, Jane Darwell. Both funnier and more moving than you would expect.

I agree!  The supporting cast is where the yuks are.  They do a nice job with that, especially Glenda and Ruth.  I loved the character arc of Olga (Aline MacMahon).  She's buried her life disappointments in this nowhere gas station.  She then starts to come to life again only to find...

Homecoming: Lana Turner is very appealing, and she has great chemistry with Gable. This film feels painfully real at times about how flirtation and unconsummated love feel just as devastating as actual physical adultery. Another on the plus side for Mr. LeRoy.

That is perfectly stated.  Excellent!  Lana is as good as she ever was in this picture.  She's sensational.  And I completely agree with your comment about how emotional ties can be much more damaging than a shared physical act.  That is, if you are one where feelings matter.

Our Man in Havana: Another winner for Carol Reed. Noel Coward's scene in the men's room with Alec Guinness is hilarious.

:D  I really enjoyed this one.  It took me a little while to connect with the vibe and the storytelling, but once I was hooked, I started to really like it.  Alec is one of the best comedic actors.  I love his style.  Loved the scenes with Burl Ives.

She Couldn't Say No: This is the Jean Simmons/Robert Mitchum comedy, isn't it? Much better than I expected. Simmons and Mitchum are good together.

Yes it is. So am I the only one who finds Mitchum as a doctor a bit strange?  And he plays a doctor in multiple films!  I like Jean in this one.  I like her scenes with Mitch, of course.  I also like when she almost kills Arthur Hunnicutt by hooking him up with all of the booze.  This is another "Ronnie Howard" kind of pic.  Very "Mayberry" cute.

These Three: Not one of Wyler's first-rank films, but still quite entertaining. Merle Oberon, Miriam Hopkins, and Joel McCrea make this well worth seeing. A bowdlerized version of The Children's Hour, but despite or because of that, holds up much better.

I really liked this one.  First off, I love triangle films.  I also love unrequited love.  So I get both in this one.  Then, the one who is quietly suffering is Miriam Hopkins, who I like in the 30s.  And when is Miriam quietly suffering?  She's usually the taker in films.  Then there is the story of children undermining adults and society's "quick to judge".  That was quite good.  It was a much better film than I anticipated.  Now I need to see The Children's Hour.

We Were Strangers: Imperfect, but this one has a special place in my affections. An intelligent film about a revolutionary group, with no punches pulled about the kind of decisions that such a group would have to make. The John Garfield character is pretty clearly a Communist, though that can only be implied. On release, it was attacked from both the right and the left, which might suggest that Huston & Co. made a pretty good film.

That's terrific commentary, Kingrat.  And I feel guilty for not liking this one.  I was mostly bored by the film, which stunned me.  I liked the cast a lot.  The look of the film is beautifully dark and grimy, which I go for.  I also like rebellion.  But how the story is told and what ultimately happens and doesn't happen had me worn out.  I actually see this as some kind of failing of mine because I feel the same about similar films from directors I like, such The Wrong Man and The Fugitive.

Well HELLO there Mr "forever" (as in.. it took you forever to finally come back in here and talk about  your list)   :P

But hey.. who am I kidding.. we've all been a bit MIA lately, so I guess that is how it goes sometimes. :)

Say what?!  That's insane!  It's loaded with sexuality!

I KNOW!! ha. (that is where that whole "appalled" comment came from. :D  

I can't imagine what in the world they were thinking. The only explanations I have are that a.  it was the 70's and b. it was a civilian jr high school with a huge population (probably one of the biggest schools I ever attended growing up. Most of the schools I went to were "Army Dependent" ones that were actually on post.. but we were living in Alaska at that time and they had no on-post school for 7th and 8th grade. At least for that year.. so we got shipped off to Anchorage for that and well.. ha)  Anyway.. I just remember that it was a "free time free-for all" sort of study hall and they had movies every Friday.. and this was one of the ones we watched. (ha.. I also remember watching The OMEGA MAN too.. oh that poor Charlton Heston.. beset by a bunch of creepy mutant humans in a post-apocalyptic world. (ha.. at least that is  how I remember it anyway) :D  

I'm looking to be in the minority with this one.  Is it because y'all like cute kids?

I was surprised you didn't enjoy it more. I just enjoy it for the relationship between Eddie and his dad, and how it changes and develops the more the dad finally starts to "live in the real world" about his son and what it means to be a father to him.. but ha.. yes. It MIGHT also be the "cute kid" angle. Gotta love that little Ronny Howard. (I loved how he made the "squinty eyes" at his dad when he met the girlfriend.. too funny.) 

I enjoyed reading your comments on each of the films from your latest group. (it is always fun to read  your thoughts and why you rated what you rated the way you rated it) :)

That's pretty amazing that you put A&C on the tippy top this time. I knew you had been enjoying them a lot and this shows it for sure. I don't remember the mummy one standing out that far in my mind. I really need to get a bunch of these from the library or something and sit down and watch just for the fun of refreshing my memory for the ones I have seen (and getting a chance to see a few I have not seen too) Plus I am sure the kidling would  enjoy some of them.. but I think I mentioned before that I am worried she'll get mad at Bud.. for picking on poor Lou. That sort of humor gets her goat. She very "peacemaker" about it. (ha.. I have no idea where she gets that!)  

The Magnificent Ambersons  

When I first saw this one on your list I thought I had seen it and I was all set to comment how much I was intrigued and disgusted by it.. sort of like watching the carnage from a news report on a train wreck.. you want to hear all the details but you can't stand to look at it all at the same time. AND THEN.. ha.. I realized the film I was actually THINKING of was Mourning Becomes Electra. (silly me) :D  I have no idea, but for some reason I always confuse the titles for these two movies. I really have not explanation for why I confuse them, but I have always  just thought of them both as being about families that hate each other and mistreat each other until pretty much everyone is ruined or dead.. or both. ha.  (but I confess, since I have never seen TMA, I don't know why I think that. am I on the right track  or have I misjudged it unfarily) :D

And PS: if you have not seen MBE.. you might want to.. maybe?? I don't know.. there's a lot to be disgusted about it. But I mean that in a fascinated, intriguing, sort of way. :D

Thanks for the youtubes too.. After reading your comments, I am interested in a few of them (#'s 12, 14, 20, 38, 40, and 47)  so will enjoy checking them out. I am also interested in 5, 21, and 31.. so will have to see if I can come across those too. Am I missing any others from your list I should check out.. what ones do you think are "me"?

OH and PS: after reading your breakdown of each film... I realized I HAVE seen #41. I had forgotten about it (by the title) but when I saw the pic and read  your comments, it rang a bell. I don't remember it being a HUGE stand out, but if I recall, it is good for a smile. I did enjoy it, and I think "cute" is a good word for it. (ha.. the Duke.. in a "CUTE" movie.. who knew??) :D

OH!!! and by the way..  regarding your comments on 

8. Cinderella (1950) --  And the villainy of the stepmother was also quite good.  What's with you stepmothers always being evil, Quiet Gal?

Oh sure.. you know.. we are all evil. The stereotypes are true.. all true.   :D Let me go get the keys so I can lock up up in your tower now. Because hey.. that is where YOU belong. ha.   :P

What can I say.. we stepmoms only exist just so you (and all the fairy tale crowd) can love to hate us!  All kidding aside.. we DO get a bad rep from most fairytales. Meanwhile.. go read Horton Hatches The Egg  by Dr. Seuss, if you want to read a REAL story about Stepmothers.  Ha. (at least some of us anyway) :D 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ehFg66qpyo

Frank, you had me at George O'Brien shirtless.  I'm going to watch THE BLUE EAGLE right now, lol.  Thanks for providing us red-blooded American women and Pappy fans the YouTube link.

Well HELLO there Mr "forever" (as in.. it took you forever to finally come back in here and talk about  your list)   :P

I have been awful!  So sluggish.

I can't imagine what in the world they were thinking. The only explanations I have are that a.  it was the 70's and b. it was a civilian jr high school with a huge population (probably one of the biggest schools I ever attended growing up. Most of the schools I went to were "Army Dependent" ones that were actually on post.. but we were living in Alaska at that time and they had no on-post school for 7th and 8th grade. At least for that year.. so we got shipped off to Anchorage for that and well.. ha)  Anyway.. I just remember that it was a "free time free-for all" sort of study hall and they had movies every Friday.. and this was one of the ones we watched. (ha.. I also remember watching The OMEGA MAN too.. oh that poor Charlton Heston.. beset by a bunch of creepy mutant humans in a post-apocalyptic world. (ha.. at least that is  how I remember it anyway) :D  

Wow!  I wish I had such a "class"!  The only movies I remember were "last day of school" movies or the very occasional animated pic in class, such as "The Lorax" or "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi".  I can remember Gus (elementary school) and The Outsiders (junior high) at the end of the year.

I was surprised you didn't enjoy it more. I just enjoy it for the relationship between Eddie and his dad, and how it changes and develops the more the dad finally starts to "live in the real world" about his son and what it means to be a father to him.. but ha.. yes. It MIGHT also be the "cute kid" angle. Gotta love that little Ronny Howard. (I loved how he made the "squinty eyes" at his dad when he met the girlfriend.. too funny.) 

I think it's the cute kid factor that won some of y'all over.  That wasn't enough for me.  The story needed to carry it more for me and I felt it was lacking some.

That's pretty amazing that you put A&C on the tippy top this time. I knew you had been enjoying them a lot and this shows it for sure. I don't remember the mummy one standing out that far in my mind.

It has all of the elements I want with Abbott & Costello.  It's my love of Scooby Doo that makes me love these kind of films. Scoob was influenced by A&C and others.

I really need to get a bunch of these from the library or something and sit down and watch just for the fun of refreshing my memory for the ones I have seen (and getting a chance to see a few I have not seen too) Plus I am sure the kidling would  enjoy some of them.. but I think I mentioned before that I am worried she'll get mad at Bud.. for picking on poor Lou. That sort of humor gets her goat. She very "peacemaker" about it. (ha.. I have no idea where she gets that!)  

I think you may be right about Bud's meanness and cruelty to Lou being an issue with your daughter.  I find it funny, but I grew up with that kind of stuff.  I loved watching the Stooges and Abbott & Costello.  The parental times have changed, as well.

When I first saw this one on your list I thought I had seen it and I was all set to comment how much I was intrigued and disgusted by it.. sort of like watching the carnage from a news report on a train wreck.. you want to hear all the details but you can't stand to look at it all at the same time. AND THEN.. ha.. I realized the film I was actually THINKING of was Mourning Becomes Electra. (silly me) :D  I have no idea, but for some reason I always confuse the titles for these two movies. I really have not explanation for why I confuse them, but I have always  just thought of them both as being about families that hate each other and mistreat each other until pretty much everyone is ruined or dead.. or both. ha.  (but I confess, since I have never seen TMA, I don't know why I think that. am I on the right track  or have I misjudged it unfarily) :D

And PS: if you have not seen MBE.. you might want to.. maybe?? I don't know.. there's a lot to be disgusted about it. But I mean that in a fascinated, intriguing, sort of way. :D

I do have Mourning Becomes Electra recorded.  I'll watch it for you.

Thanks for the youtubes too.. After reading your comments, I am interested in a few of them (#'s 12, 14, 20, 38, 40, and 47)  so will enjoy checking them out. I am also interested in 5, 21, and 31.. so will have to see if I can come across those too. Am I missing any others from your list I should check out.. what ones do you think are "me"?

I'd say that second group is definitely more "you" than the first one.  I think you'd enjoy Our Man in Havana, Night Unto Night, and Ah, Wilderness!.  The rest of the group lacks films I feel you'd really go for.  Although, you would probably like The Ex-Mrs. Bradford.

OH!!! and by the way..  regarding your comments on 

8. Cinderella (1950) --  And the villainy of the stepmother was also quite good.  What's with you stepmothers always being evil, Quiet Gal?

Oh sure.. you know.. we are all evil. The stereotypes are true.. all true.   :D Let me go get the keys so I can lock up up in your tower now. Because hey.. that is where YOU belong. ha.   :P

So long as Rapunzel is there with me! :P

What can I say.. we stepmoms only exist just so you (and all the fairy tale crowd) can love to hate us!  All kidding aside.. we DO get a bad rep from most fairytales. Meanwhile.. go read Horton Hatches The Egg  by Dr. Seuss, if you want to read a REAL story about Stepmothers.  Ha. (at least some of us anyway)

I didn't know Horton was a woman! :P

Frank, you had me at George O'Brien shirtless.  I'm going to watch THE BLUE EAGLE right now, lol.  Thanks for providing us red-blooded American women and Pappy fans the YouTube link.

I'm glad there are some red-blooded American women still out there!

• Like 1

Howdy, Snobby T -- I'm back!!

Hooray!

A & C are always good fun!  I LOVE this one! You like Arabian settings? You totally left that out the last time I told you I loved anything with Egyptian settings silly!

I do like Egyptian settings.  But I really love them when a mummy shows up.

You beat me to this one! I still haven't seen it, but I have it recorded and am ready to watch it!

If you like Jean Arthur, I think you'll like The Ex-Mrs. Bradford.

What do you mean it's a miracle? Pffttt! I knew you would like it! I'm not generally a huge fan of Garbo, but I REALLY like this one! Connie is the best!  When you pointed out that Garbo sort of parodies herself I giggled! That's part of the reason I like it.....Shhh that's our little secret. You said you didn't like Roland Young!

Connie Bennett is a total riot in Two-Faced Woman.  I laughed out loud multiple times because of her.  I have liked Garbo in every single film I have seen of hers, thus far.  I have seen about five of her pictures.  I look forward to seeing more of her.  When I saw Topper, I didn't like Roland Young and his style of humor.  I'm now getting used to his style, so I'm warming up to him.

I can't believe you actually watched Cinderella....and liked it. You realize this is perfect for blackmail right? Heehee! I like Gus personally!  Gus Gus is such a little cutie! Cinderelly Cinderelly....great now the song is in my head. Joe will love hearing that when he gets home.... :D:P I don't know if you realized this, but um.....there were musicals numbers in it.

I fast-forward the musical numbers. :P

I find it funny that we watched this at almost the same time.

It's because I told you I had watched The Egyptian, Silly Goose!

I really liked Jean Simmons' character here. She is very courageous and fights for herself and those she loves. Peter Ustinov wins me over here. I don't usually seek him out in films, but he captured my attention.

I loved Jean in the film.  She's my kind of woman.  She's a total sweetheart.  And I also liked Peter's loyal "Kaptah".

The one big negative thing I have to say about this one is that when certain characters take a shot with archery, they have completely wrong form, they barely pull the string back more than an inch, and for the love of pete, they don't even hold the bow right and try to make it look convincing at all. But that is coming from a real archer, and it IS just a movie, so I guess I could let that one go. It is a really greatly filmed movie. :D:D It just happens to be a big pet peeve of mine in films....I mean at least Greer took lessons in Pride and Prejudice from the dude who taught Errol Flynn. That's my Greer! Heehee!

They are just stronger than you!  Archery comes easy to them. :D

Simone Simon did not spice things up! She ruined everything for Connie!! Heehee! Poor Loretta, she gets the worst end of the deal in this one.

Of course Simone spiced things up!  She always does!  And I liked Loretta the most because of what she goes through.

I think Gary always shines! :D

And you would be wrong!

Charles Laughton is very talented. I think he did great here as well. I really wasn't expecting that for this particular film for some reason-maybe because of all of the other big names. Tallulah always leaves me flabbergasted. I can definitely say that much.

Ha!  I liked Tallulah.  She doesn't have the vibe of other actresses of the time.  She's clearly comfortable being a certain kind of woman.

I'd just like to throw out there that it's not always a bad thing for the prince to come along! Yes, it's a little cliché, however it's still cute!

I'm okay with the prince coming along in Sleeping Beauty.  But it's not he who saves the day.  It's... ugh!

Why is this so low on your list? Even I liked this one!

I think the "Jesse James" story doesn't always thrill me.  It's also the tone of the film.  I prefer the tone of later westerns.  This one is a little too "pretty".

The reason I even watch it is for Deborah too. When is she ever not beautiful? I mean come on!

No, no.  Deborah is almost always beautiful.  But sexy?  She's rarely that.  She is sexy in Casino Royale.

Why did you even torture yourself with watching this?...Oh gee, I know, you watched it for MM didn't you? I kind of think MM's personality goes well with Donald in this one. I thought they looked cute together. If she had any other of her personalities from her different films, I would say otherwise, because that wouldn't work. You deserve that pain for watching this silly.

Yes, it was for Marilyn.  I'm a completist,  Heck, I even own this film on Blu-ray!

Aloha, Fordy Guns! -- I see more movies on your list that I'm familiar with this time.

It's because I watched many of your favorite performers and some of your films.

My favorites would include Courtship of Eddie's Father, The Prizefighter and the Lady and This Property is Condemned.

And why would they be your favorites?

It's funny that you've now seen Jesse James, I thought you had already. What's funny is the leading lady is Nancy Kelly---the same Nancy Kelly as in The Bad Seed. And in both movies she cries a lot!

Ha!  I laughed at your "cried" crack.  And doesn't it happen often.  You watch a film with a performer you never heard of or haven't seen much of and you run into them twice in a short span.  For example, I never heard of this guy named Eric Linden, who plays the unheralded lead (the son) in Ah, Wilderness!.  And wouldn't you know it, I then watch The Crowd Roars and Linden is playing James Cagney's younger brother.  I see he was in Gone with the Wind, as well.

• Like 1

Howdy Mr. Grey

I have been awful!  So sluggish

I am a fine one to talk, ha. I have been very "underwhelmed" lately.. just no ambition. ha. It's been so cold here the last several weeks, I'd just as soon curl up with my blankey and take a nice nap. If only..  :) 

Wow!  I wish I had such a "class"!  The only movies I remember were "last day of school" movies or the very occasional animated pic in class, such as "The Lorax" or "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi".  I can remember Gus (elementary school) and The Outsiders (junior high) at the end of the year.

It was my one and only time that I can ever remember having a "study hall" and I think it was only like twice a week, maybe?? (the other days of the week were electives, I think) Golly, it's been so long, I just don't remember. I just remember that every Friday they showed movies. And woo.. The Outsiders. If that is the one I am thinking of.. it would have a been a bit rough to show for a Jr High class.. It's no Dr Seuss. :D  So see.. you were watching that while I was watching David Niven and Peter Sellers acting like idjits and Charlton Heston fighting off the whacko mutants. ha.   

I think you may be right about Bud's meanness and cruelty to Lou being an issue with your daughter.  I find it funny, but I grew up with that kind of stuff.  I loved watching the Stooges and Abbott & Costello.  The parental times have changed, as well

I don't know. Some folks just "get" that humor and others don't. There may be an element of the day and age we are in, but overall.. I think it is a personality thing. I never was a HUGE fan of the stooges. (but as I got older, I began to enjoy a lot of the word play more than the physical comedy.. they can be a laugh riot sometimes, I confess) And I do enjoy A & C, but even so, I always remember how sorry I used to feel for poor Lou (sometimes to the point of tears) back when I was a little kid. Lewis and Martin used to do the same thing to me too. (as I got older, I got past a lot of that and it didn't make me cry, but I just didn't enjoy the movies as much) I do like the overall "free for all" fun of them though.  But somehow I just know the kidling would not have much patience for the hitting and slapping, and name calling. etc.  

I do have Mourning Becomes Electra recorded.  I'll watch it for you.

Ha.. oh great. Now you are going to watch it  and 1) you will hate it.  And 2) since I have not seen The Magnificent Ambersons you will at last be able to tell me how doofy I was to ever mix them up.. ha. :D

I still have no good reason for confusing them (since I have never even SEEN one of them, ha) so it will be interesting to see how off the mark I am in mixing them up (you can tell me all about how doofy I am after you see it)

I don't know what you'll think of MBE to be honest. It's been a couple of years since I saw it and I wish I could remember it more in detail. I do remember the basic story, though, and I can't say I "LIKED" it because it was one of those movies that I would just have a  hard time finding any sort of 'likability" factor for it. But still, it was pretty fascinating to watch it all play out.. in a grueling, gut-wrenching, disheartening sort of way. :)

I found it online, so maybe can re-watch it soon and be able to discuss with you if you want to after you have seen it. (I should try to watch TMA too.. ha. .if only so I can decide for MYSELF how doofy I have been for confusing the two movies) :D 

I will keep an eye out for Our Man in Havana.. and The Ex-Mrs. Bradford too.  Golly.. I have so many movies to look for (and/or watch) I will never catch up. Maybe when I retire.. ha. You  know.. when the kidling is finally grown up and ready to take care of me in my old age. Then I can just sit around and watch movies all day long. :D

So long as Rapunzel is there with me

Yes.. I'll make sure she can borrow my hat pin so you can enjoy your visit. :D

I didn't know Horton was a woman

OH for pizza sake. HE's not a woman. I guess I just meant that for whatever reason.. there was a time in my life many years ago, that I was absolutely certain that Dr Seuss wrote that story just for me. I guess it was one of those "you had to be there" moments. Ha. :D

A discussion for some day is about the violence in the films of Abbott and Costello, The Three Stooges and Laurel and Hardy and how we view them. What makes any more acceptable than the others. etc?

Now back to our regular discussion.

• Like 1

Hey there, Quiet Gal -- I am a fine one to talk, ha. I have been very "underwhelmed" lately.. just no ambition. ha. It's been so cold here the last several weeks, I'd just as soon curl up with my blankey and take a nice nap. If only..   :) 

But you didn't toss things out there on the board, asking for people to reply like I did!  That was bad!

It was my one and only time that I can ever remember having a "study hall" and I think it was only like twice a week, maybe?? (the other days of the week were electives, I think) Golly, it's been so long, I just don't remember. I just remember that every Friday they showed movies. And woo.. The Outsiders. If that is the one I am thinking of.. it would have a been a bit rough to show for a Jr High class.. It's no Dr Seuss. :D  So see.. you were watching that while I was watching David Niven and Peter Sellers acting like idjits and Charlton Heston fighting off the whacko mutants. ha.   

You are right, The Outsiders was a more mature showing in school.  I liked it, too.  Stay golden, Pony Boy.  The wacko mutants would have been great to see!

I don't know. Some folks just "get" that humor and others don't. There may be an element of the day and age we are in, but overall.. I think it is a personality thing.

I agree.  It's always been a personality thing (which leads to gender) with violent humor.  But what I was referring to that is different is the sensitivity that is found today compared to before.  In the past, people either liked it or not.  Now, it's not enough to dislike it.  It's also labeled as "bullying" or "cruel".  That's the sensitivity of today's new world.  I'm not saying it's bad or wrong, just citing the change.

I never was a HUGE fan of the stooges. (but as I got older, I began to enjoy a lot of the word play more than the physical comedy.. they can be a laugh riot sometimes, I confess)

I have found it rare for women to like the Stooges.  Men are also hit and miss, but the majority of those who like the Stooges are guys.

And I do enjoy A & C, but even so, I always remember how sorry I used to feel for poor Lou (sometimes to the point of tears) back when I was a little kid.

My goodness!  I never even flinched with the slapping when I was a kid.  I'm more affected by it today than then.  The one I had a tougher time with was Burt Reynolds with Dom DeLuise in Cannonball Run.  He really slapped the heck out of him.  But they were simply doing A&C.

Lewis and Martin used to do the same thing to me too. (as I got older, I got past a lot of that and it didn't make me cry, but I just didn't enjoy the movies as much) I do like the overall "free for all" fun of them though.  But somehow I just know the kidling would not have much patience for the hitting and slapping, and name calling. etc.  

I'm pretty certain she would be like you.  That's the track record. :)

Ha.. oh great. Now you are going to watch it  and 1) you will hate it.  And 2) since I have not seen The Magnificent Ambersons you will at last be able to tell me how doofy I was to ever mix them up.. ha. :D

I hope both happen! :P

I still have no good reason for confusing them (since I have never even SEEN one of them, ha) so it will be interesting to see how off the mark I am in mixing them up (you can tell me all about how doofy I am after you see it)

I started it last night and I can see how it can be seen as The Magnificent Ambersons.

I don't know what you'll think of MBE to be honest. It's been a couple of years since I saw it and I wish I could remember it more in detail. I do remember the basic story, though, and I can't say I "LIKED" it because it was one of those movies that I would just have a  hard time finding any sort of 'likability" factor for it. But still, it was pretty fascinating to watch it all play out.. in a grueling, gut-wrenching, disheartening sort of way. :)

I prefer grueling and gut-wrenching, so that bodes well.

I will keep an eye out for Our Man in Havana.. and The Ex-Mrs. Bradford too.  Golly.. I have so many movies to look for (and/or watch) I will never catch up. Maybe when I retire.. ha. You  know.. when the kidling is finally grown up and ready to take care of me in my old age. Then I can just sit around and watch movies all day long. :D

That's what Miss G does!  She's 108 years old.

So long as Rapunzel is there with me

Yes.. I'll make sure she can borrow my hat pin so you can enjoy your visit. :D

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  Why do I feel as if I would be begging for my freedom if you locked me in the tower with Miss G?

OH for pizza sake. HE's not a woman. I guess I just meant that for whatever reason.. there was a time in my life many years ago, that I was absolutely certain that Dr Seuss wrote that story just for me. I guess it was one of those "you had to be there" moments. Ha.

I was just teasing you.  I think it's wonderful that you associate with that story.  I thought the story was lovely.

A discussion for some day is about the violence in the films of Abbott and Costello, The Three Stooges and Laurel and Hardy and how we view them. What makes any more acceptable than the others. etc?

Very boyish.  Boys tend to be very physical with their emotions, be it affection or anger.  We're not just touch, we're push and shove.  The idea of the strong hurting the weak hits a nerve, especially with girls.  And I feel it's a warranted reaction.

But you didn't toss things out there on the board, asking for people to reply like I did!  That was bad!

OF COURSE it was bad!! We ARE talking about you, you black hat Dude. ha. So ok, no quarter..  all bets are off. You deserve that frozen rope.. break out the hat pin.. bring in the Giant Squid (or was it an Octopus.. I digress) Oh what the hay.. call in Little Miss T with her black gloves. That will solve everything!! :) 

Ha.. there. Do you feel better now?? 

All kidding aside. We've all been less than active on here. For my part.. I miss the chats to be sure. But am glad you are still up to  your movie watching lists when you can get to them.  They are a fun read. 

You are right, The Outsiders was a more mature showing in school.  I liked it, too.  Stay golden, Pony Boy.  

Ha.. I have never seen The Outsiders all the way through, but I do know they all had those wacky names.. Pony Boy. Maybe I should start calling you something like that.. how about.. hmmm.. Difficult Boy. (oh wait.. I already have called you that!!) :D

The wacko mutants would have been great to see!

Ha.. they were pretty "wacko". And all this talk about mutants is making me think of that Bob and Doug Mackenzie Strange Brew movie.. my brothers and I went around for weeks saying lines from that movie.. my favorite was something like "I was away visiting another planet when the world was attacked by fleshy-headed mutants" Ah.. those were the 80's. HA! :D

I agree.  It's always been a personality thing (which leads to gender) with violent humor.  But what I was referring to that is different is the sensitivity that is found today compared to before.  In the past, people either liked it or not.  Now, it's not enough to dislike it.  It's also labeled as "bullying" or "cruel".  That's the sensitivity of today's new world.  I'm not saying it's bad or wrong, just citing the change.

You are right.. we are a lot more "sensitive" almost to the point of being TOO sensitive in the things we find funny and not funny these days. And yet I find it pretty interesting how some in our society pick and choose who they will make fun of.. or who they think it is OK to make fun of. It's a very subjective thing.. and the "political correctness" police are out there working overtime... at least it seems that way. Maybe the world could use a little more "Stooge Humor" ha.. just to loosen things up. (oh me.. did I really say THAT??) HA. :) 

I'm pretty certain she would be like you.  That's the track record

Ha.. why Grey Dude.. whatEVER do you mean??? :D 

Yes.. I confess.. she is very much like me in many ways.. but she is also very much UN-like me in many others. She definitely has her own mind and is quite able to communicate it. (hmm.. which in and of itself would sort of make her like me too.. ha) :D

I hope both happen!

Ha.. if our track record is any indication.. I am sure you will get your wish.  I looked for both of these movies at the library but could not find them. I have the librarian doing an all area search, so maybe she can get them for me. I found MBE online, but it doesn't play very well for me. Don't know if it is the website or if it is my computer but the sound and the motion are very out of whack. The sound is actually pretty good, but everyone looks like they are robots and moving around in slow or stop action motion. I finally gave up watching because it just was making me nuts.. ha.  Will hope I can find them w/ the librarian's help. 

I was just teasing you.  I think it's wonderful that you associate with that story.  I thought the story was lovely

I knew you were teasing. ha.  And you are right..  it is a lovely story. It is one that would go over a lot of people's heads, though, unless they were actually in a situation like that. I first read it about a year after my youngest stepson came to live with us and it had a been particularly rough year for us all. And his mother was a very "Maisie" like bird. (still is as far as I know, but that would only be a guess because I have not had to deal with her any more since everyone became grown up). But anyway.. it's just a special story to me and at one time in my life I swore Dr Seuss must have written it just for me. :)

My favorites would include Courtship of Eddie's Father, The Prizefighter and the Lady and This Property is Condemned.

And why would they be your favorites?

Courtship is very funny to me, and "cute kid" usually is anathema to me but I do like Ronny. However it's Ford and his reactions that are most funny. I also enjoy the constant fighting he and Shirley go through.

Prizefighter is an unusual movie and it's Myrna in her early days when I liked her best. I need to see it again, but I remember thinking it an under appreciated gem in her career. I usually like boxing movies, too, I can't think why.

I love the typical Tennessee Williams heroine, one forced to survive by doing what she hates. She can't face the truth do she hides in fantasy, feeding her need to believe there's beauty ("magic") somewhere in an ugly world. I can relate. It's interesting that those closest to these women are the most predatory. It's really a twist on the classic Cinderella tale , I guess. Only without a happy ending because the prince ends up believing the "facts" and ignoring the "heart". Are we only to be judged by our sins if they were unwillingly committed or does the inner person, still in stained, have any mitigating value?

I liked Mary Badham's "Willie", too. And love Nat's theme song.

You said you don't believe Nat as a "tart". That's exactly the point of casting someone like her. We are supposed to see her as she is inside. That is why Redford is confused. The appearance or impression she gives is of a wistful child, not a hard boiled ****. So she's brilliant, I say. As an actress since childhood she certainly knew what it was to be used, even by her own family (whom she supported). Acting can be a form of prostitution in Hollywood.

It's funny that you've now seen Jesse James, I thought you had already. What's funny is the leading lady is Nancy Kelly---the same Nancy Kelly as in The Bad Seed. And in both movies she cries a lot!

Ha!  I laughed at your "cried" crack.  And doesn't it happen often.  You watch a film with a performer you never heard of or haven't seen much of and you run into them twice in a short span.  For example, I never heard of this guy named Eric Linden, who plays the unheralded lead (the son) in Ah, Wilderness!.  And wouldn't you know it, I then watch The Crowd Roars and Linden is playing James Cagney's younger brother.  I see he was in Gone with the Wind, as well.[/b]

Yes that happens a lot to me too.

Hiya, Piecemaker -- OF COURSE it was bad!! We ARE talking about you, you black hat Dude. ha. So ok, no quarter.. all bets are off. You deserve that frozen rope.. break out the hat pin.. bring in the Giant Squid (or was it an Octopus.. I digress) Oh what the hay.. call in Little Miss T with her black gloves. That will solve everything!! :) 

That will settle my hash!

Ha.. there. Do you feel better now?? 

Much!

All kidding aside. We've all been less than active on here. For my part.. I miss the chats to be sure. But am glad you are still up to  your movie watching lists when you can get to them.  They are a fun read. 

I've got more to post today.

Ha.. they were pretty "wacko". And all this talk about mutants is making me think of that Bob and Doug Mackenzie Strange Brew movie.. my brothers and I went around for weeks saying lines from that movie.. my favorite was something like "I was away visiting another planet when the world was attacked by fleshy-headed mutants" Ah.. those were the 80's. HA! :D

Love the 80s!

You are right.. we are a lot more "sensitive" almost to the point of being TOO sensitive in the things we find funny and not funny these days. And yet I find it pretty interesting how some in our society pick and choose who they will make fun of.. or who they think it is OK to make fun of. It's a very subjective thing.. and the "political correctness" police are out there working overtime... at least it seems that way. Maybe the world could use a little more "Stooge Humor" ha.. just to loosen things up. (oh me.. did I really say THAT??) HA. :) 

As you say, it truly is subjective.  One person's "lighten up" is another person's "you're an evil bully".

Yes.. I confess.. she is very much like me in many ways.. but she is also very much UN-like me in many others. She definitely has her own mind and is quite able to communicate it. (hmm.. which in and of itself would sort of make her like me too.. ha) :D

I'd say she's a lot like you, which is a good thing.

I knew you were teasing. ha.  And you are right..  it is a lovely story. It is one that would go over a lot of people's heads, though, unless they were actually in a situation like that. I first read it about a year after my youngest stepson came to live with us and it had a been particularly rough year for us all. And his mother was a very "Maisie" like bird. (still is as far as I know, but that would only be a guess because I have not had to deal with her any more since everyone became grown up). But anyway.. it's just a special story to me and at one time in my life I swore Dr Seuss must have written it just for me.

I think that's lovely.  When anyone finds themselves in a situation, it is good to seek out association through art.  It's just nice to know you are not alone.

Why look who it is!  Aloha!

Courtship is very funny to me, and "cute kid" usually is anathema to me but I do like Ronny. However it's Ford and his reactions that are most funny. I also enjoy the constant fighting he and Shirley go through.

I guess I wanted more of Glenn and Shirley.  The focus was definitely on Glenn, who I really do like a lot.  And you know I like the fighting. :D

Prizefighter is an unusual movie and it's Myrna in her early days when I liked her best. I need to see it again, but I remember thinking it an under appreciated gem in her career. I usually like boxing movies, too, I can't think why.

To watch this one and Truth About Youth in the same batch sure showed Myrna in two drastically different roles.  I like her as both a gold-digger and a sweetheart.

I love the typical Tennessee Williams heroine, one forced to survive by doing what she hates. She can't face the truth do she hides in fantasy, feeding her need to believe there's beauty ("magic") somewhere in an ugly world. I can relate. It's interesting that those closest to these women are the most predatory. It's really a twist on the classic Cinderella tale , I guess. Only without a happy ending because the prince ends up believing the "facts" and ignoring the "heart". Are we only to be judged by our sins if they were unwillingly committed or does the inner person, still in stained, have any mitigating value? I liked Mary Badham's "Willie", too. And love Nat's theme song.

That was absolutely beautiful.  Wow!  Are you saying you're really not snippy and I'm believing the 'facts" and ignoring your heart? :D:P  I like how you laid out the entire film in your comment.  It was expertly done.

I can see why Alva (Natalie Wood) chose to be the "life of the party" in a small town, especially when you consider how her mother was.  It's better for her to get male attention than be invisible.

I definitely understand her creating "beauty" in her ugly world.  This is very important when it comes to her not having her father and her still thinking well of him.  She really missed his presence in her life.

You said you don't believe Nat as a "tart". That's exactly the point of casting someone like her. We are supposed to see her as she is inside. That is why Redford is confused. The appearance or impression she gives is of a wistful child, not a hard boiled ****. So she's brilliant, I say. As an actress since childhood she certainly knew what it was to be used, even by her own family (whom she supported). Acting can be a form of prostitution in Hollywood.

What a brilliant point!  I see what you are saying and I agree with it.  We would feel completely different about Alva if she really wasn't a sweet girl inside.  And I'm someone who usually does look for the good within.  I really failed on this one.

thispropertyiscondemned6_zpsf845b8cf.jpg

thispropertyiscondemned1_zpsf8062adf.jpg

thispropertyiscondemned2_zps7c5e2b78.jpg

thispropertyiscondemned4_zps3e06a86d.jpg

thispropertyiscondemned3_zps4cdb471a.jpg

Here is another group of films I watched.  I'm guessing my watching will be slowing down after this one.

Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)

After Office Hours (1935)

Age of Consent (1969)

Behind the Mask (1932)

Blossoms in the Dust (1941)

The Brothers Karamazov (1958)

Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum (1940)

Cleopatra (1934)

Danger Signal (1945)

The Dark Past (1948)

Designing Woman (1957)

The Devil's Party (1938)

Easy to Love (1953)

Employees' Entrance (1933)

The Farmer's Daughter (1947)

Father of the Bride (1950)

Gigi (1958)

The Gilded Lily (1935)

High Pressure (1932)

I'll Be Seeing You (1944)

I Met Him in Paris (1937)

I Met My Love Again (1938)

In the Good Old Summertime (1949)

I Take This Woman (1940)

Johnny Angel (1946)

The Last Gangster (1937)

Love from a Stranger (1937)

Man on a Tightrope (1953)

Man-Proof (1938)

Marriage on the Rocks (1965)

Mourning Becomes Electra (1947)

Murder by Television (1935)

Mystery House (1938)

Nightmare (1956)

Over-Exposed (1956)

The Phantom Fiend (1932)

Please Believe Me (1950)

Please Murder Me (1956)

The Sisters (1938)

Something Wild (1961)

The Steel Trap (1952)

The Strip (1951)

Swing-Shift Maisie (1943)

Three-Cornered Moon (1933)

Torchy Blane in Chinatown (1939)

23 Paces to Baker Street (1956)

Two Girls and a Sailor (1944)

The Twonky (1953)

The Verdict (1946)

The Virginian (1929)

Walk East on Beacon! (1952)

Whirlpool (1934)

Woman in the Shadows (1934)

Any thoughts from anyone?  Any favorites or not-so favorites?  Do you have a top ten?  Can you guess my top ten?

• Like 1

Designing Woman (1957)

I love this movie! It is two curmudgeons attempting to be normal people. It is comedy of errors as their worlds collide! The restaurant scene is perfect! When he is hiding is perfect! 

Mystery House (1938)

I find this movie one of the best of its time and genre. There is little to which I can point and say: "This is better than in most other movies" but the admixture is well worth much more than its parts.

The Phantom Fiend (1932)

I found this to be much more captivating than it likely deserves. There is much wrong with it and I can not explain why I like it so much.

23 Paces to Baker Street (1956)

I feel that this movie is quite good. The plot is sufficiently twisty and I found locations to be quite interesting mixture to what could be stage play. Cecil Parker is true jewel of the movie! He is just so very wonderfully British! 

Hey Frankenstein!

GASP!!!! This is my favorite list of yours yet! I think I have seen every film but like 7 or 8. That never happens!

Here is another group of films I watched.  I'm guessing my watching will be slowing down after this one.

Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)

This is a pretty funny one, but it isn;t my favorite. I put it somewhere in the middle for the A & C list I have seen. I do like that William Frawley plays a cop in it.

Age of Consent (1969)

Okay I'm just going to start off by saying that the I love this movie, HOWEVER, there are many MANY parts I have to look away for or fast-forward through because there is a LOT of nudity. But Helen Mirren is one of my very very favorite actresses so I at least had to see if she was any good in it, which was why I watched it in the first place. Now having said all that, I actually really like the story. It's super cute. James Mason is nowhere near one of my favorite actors, but I liked him in it. The relationship between Helen and him is, at first, very uncomfortable, because of their vast age difference, but as the films plays, the story gets cuter with how they react around each other. I like the fluff nature of it...without the nudity. :D:D Needless to say, you loved this one, right?

YAY!!! GREER! And don't you dare say she killed anyone! Kathy needed my long black gloves and they're ready to wear!

Did you at least like ol' pipe and slippers here?

The Brothers Karamazov (1958)

I really love Yul Brynner here. Something tells me you'd like his "Dmitri". I love the psychology in this film. The intensity blows my mind. I'd truly love to hear to review of this one.

Cleopatra (1934)

I Love any film with Egyptian settings and love to compare all the Cleaopatras. This one I love purely for the fact that Claudette Colbert is playing it so differently than she usually does. She is shaking things up here as the alluring and undeniably irresistable Queen of Egypt. It is quite convincing and entertaining for me the whole way through.

Designing Woman (1957)

This one will be at the bottom of your list, I have already figured that out. What is it with you and being bored with the cutesie ones!?

The Farmer's Daughter (1947)

I have a feeling you were not into this one either. It seems too political for you and too romantic with no villain evil enough for you to keep interested. Let me know if I am wrong. :D

Father of the Bride (1950)

This one is supposed to be one that all classic film lovers are to appreciate highly. But I find it very blah. I usually take father/daughter relationship films and run with them, loving the whol aspect of them, but this doesn't really focus on them as father and daughter. It focuses too heavily on Spencer Tracy and how he deals with the changes in his life and family. Also, I think Elizabeth Taylor is whiny in it and doesn't act mature enough to be getting married.

Gigi (1958)

I know, you like Maurice! Yay! It's a very different plot for a fluffy cute musical. The whole concept of a young innocent girl being trained to become a man's mistress doesn't scream musical in my book, but it actually works. Plus it's Leslie Caron. She can never do wrong for me. Heehee!

The Dark Past

I remember seeing this long ago.  This is one of those psychological ones that messes with your head. However, I remember being on the edge on my seat the whole way wanting to know what happened next. It's one of those guilty pleasures I guess. I found it highly interesting.

In the Good Old Summertime (1949)

This is Judy Garland. It is a musical and it's romantic fun.....you hated it? Heehee!! This film is one of my earliest memories and I adore it. I like the spunk of this remake to Shop Around the Corner. Everyone will probably hate me for saying that, but it's Judy and it's too cute not to love! Plus you get to see little Liza Minnelli at the very end! AAWWWWWW! Heehee!

Marriage on the Rocks (1965)

Please tell me this one made you laugh! It overloads me with happiness and funny situations. And Deborah Kerr is so goreous in it too!

Nightmare (1956)

OH, that's the movie you were referring to with Kevin McCarthy! Ironically, I watched this one just the other day. I haven't even logged it yet. It was REALLY good....for a film noir. :P:P Oh how I loved seeing Edward G Robinson as the good natured brother-in-law. Such a great change up for him and as a family man too! Sooooooo weird, but great! Now you truly need to see Invasion of the Body Snatchers! You will love it. I'm being honest!! It's not even fluffy and cute! I'm not lying!

The Virginian (1929)

Gary!!!! He's such a cutie in this one! I love the cast in this one! Mary Brian plays an interesting female lead opposite Gary. It's a different change of pace, but I liked it!

Woman in the Shadows (1934)

This is a Fay Wray film I have yet to see, but I had it on my list to watch soon, actually. I do love her! Do you think I would like it?

Two Girls and a Sailor (1944)

This is my FAVORITE of Junie Allyson's films with my Vanji (Van Johnson)! YAY!!! This is way too much fluff for you, though, and you probably thought it was too predictable. Gloria DeHaven makes a great pairing with Junie as her sister in a singing act who entertain for troops of all military branches. They are so adorable for words! I love all the swing dancing and songs, of course. The "Young Man with a Horn" sequence with Harry James and Junie is a great swing moment. That's one of the styles I am learning with my dance partner right now that I was telling you about. Great supporting performance with Jimmy Durante too that makes you heart melt! And I simply love all the camoeos with Lena Horne, the Wilde Twins, and my mom's personally favorite moment is with Gracie Allen's Concerto with Index Finger. It makes us giggle out loud every single time!

Easy to Love (1953)

Another Vanji movie. Gee, you're just on a roll! This is a great example of Essie (Esther Williams') work. There are flawless aquatic performances and she always gives the right amount of flare and charm. "You really can't go wrong with Essie" as my grandmama always says. She is quite right, you know. Heehee! This was also probably torture for you. Why do you do that to yourself, silly? Unless you liked her numbers with her cute little outfits. Actually, Joe really liked her in Bathing Beauty. I just looked at him and said, "You only liked seeing her in a swimsuit, didn't  you?!" Of course he is always so honest and just nodded with the silliest smile. Men!!

Wowsa, Mr. Grey.. I see  you've been up to your eyeteeth in new movies again. ha. This list is pretty much a total guess from me as for how you will like most of them because I have only seen just a handful. (big surprise, I know) :)

I will have to take some time and look at a few of them to be sure.. but off of the top of my head, these are the ones I know for sure (or am pretty sure) that I have seen: 

Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)  I have probably seen it. They all start to run together for me eventually. ha. It's been a long time since those Sunday afternoon movies way back when I was a youngun.. which is pretty much when I watched any of the A&C movies that have ever seen. I just remember they used to show them quite often when I was a kid, and it always seemed like it was a Sunday afternoon. But hey.. it might have been a Saturday. I am old and it's been  a lonnnnnnnnnng time since then.

The Farmer's Daughter (1947)  I l-o-v-e LOVE this movie. But I am not sure what to think about how YOU will like it. I can see  you writing it off.. but I can also see you liking it because the "little man" (even if she is a woman) gets his (ha.. her) chance to shine in this one. But I ALSO like Ethel Barrymore's character too. Very good role for her.  And enjoy her relationship with the butler. (Charles Bickford) I also love the fight w/ the brothers near the end.. ha. Boy, oh boy, they were going to make him pay for hurting their sister. ha. Too funny. I guess you could say I just like pretty much everything about it. 

Father of the Bride (1950)  It's an ok way to pass the time watching this movie.. but can't say it's a stand out. I don't know. You might have enjoyed some of Spencer Tracy's constant agony.. ha. But I can't see you enjoying this movie too much. I DO have to confess though.. I REALLY like the remake of this story (with Steve Martin) it is a MUCH funnier (and in my mind... even sweeter) telling of the tale. But I confess... that could just be my opinion. :)

Gigi (1958)  Agh.. have only seen portions of this film.. just NOT my cup o' tea. Can't seeing it as yours either.. but to be honest. I have NO idea how you'd rate it because I have never been able to make myself watch it long enough to tell ha. 

I'll Be Seeing You (1944)  I THINK I  have seen this.. or I have at least seen part of it.. maybe. I looked it up and I totally recognized the story.. but I am embarrassed to admit.. ha.. it might only be because I READ about it, rather than watched it. I need to probably watch it (or re-watch it) to be sure one way or  the other, but I DO think it sounds like a very good story. Agh. I hate getting old to the point I don't even know if I have watched a movie or NOT! ha. (pretty soon.. I'll be just some old gal.. wandering about aimlessly, needing someone to remind me to put my shoes on AFTER I put on my socks.. not before. HA. :D (poor kidling.. she'll have her hands full with just keeping up with me, someday) :D

In the Good Old Summertime (1949)  I enjoy this movie well enough, but it can't hold a candle (for me) to The Shop Around the Corner. It's a nice enough way to spend a little down time, just to watch for "fluff" ha.. but I love the other story so much better. I do not see it being to big of a hit for you. 

Mourning Becomes Electra (1947)  I am on the edge of my seat waiting to hear how much you hated this movie. HA! I still say it is like watching a train wreck.. ha. Very gut-wrenching the way they all just hate each other to pieces. But you might have found some of it to y our liking. I am also waiting for you to come back here and tell me how silly I am for confusing it with the other movie that we talked about.. ha. (since I have never seen it.. I still have NO answer for that one. (did I mention that I am fast on my way to just being an old fogey woman who will need help with her shoes and socks one day soon?? Ha) :D

Cleopatra (1934)

These two movies I have not seen, but HAVE wanted to see them (especially the Claudette Colbert one) Just for some reason have never looked them up to see if I could find them. Will be interested to hear what you and others have to say. 

The Virginian (1929)

Have not seen this one, but looked it up because I wasn't sure. Looks like it would be a fun one to catch, so I may have to try and watch it, if I can. 

I'm guessing my watching will be slowing down after this one.

Well, I hope that is for a good reason. I do know it can be a bit much to keep up with, but hope that you'll still come back in when you can to keep me up to date on all the gazillion movies I STILL haven't seen yet. ha. :) All kidding aside. It is fun to read your posts.. so hope you can still make a list now and then when  you find some time. :) 

Another low number for me. Some I have seen but so long ago that there isn't much to remember. Didn't hate any of them.

Cleopatra - Big budget and a mostly naked Claudette Colbert. Good enough just on that fact.

Designing Woman - Pleasant enough if 50's sex comedies of the upper end income folks are your thing. I enjoyed it. Peck and Bacall seem an unlikely pair but I thought it went well.

Father of The Bride - I like it better than others seem to like it. It's Tracy's movie. My daughter, thankfully, wants a small wedding. I hope I won't have to act out the film. Young ladies can be whiny and weddings add a stress to everyone's life that ought to be avoided. (The stress that is.) 

The Gilded Lily - Colbert and MacMurray. Can't go wrong there. I think this was the film where I found out Fred was a very funny guy. (Not the mildly funny guy of "My Three Sons.")

23 Paces To Baker Street - When I saw it I thought it an unusual concept. (I think it was the basis for a short lived TV series in 1970.) Johnson did a fine job and the London setting helped.

The Virginian - I saw it but I don't remember much about it other than Cooper. Those early sound westerns were often handicapped by sound as they limited camera movement somewhat. Would like to see it and then followed by McCrea's version. (There was a version from 2000 with Bill Pullman that has been shown on Encore Westerns but as I recall outside of a few basic plot points didn't resemble the earlier versions that much. I didn't care for it too much.)

I'm obviously way behind you by now but I used to watch them like you one time. It's great finding some new movies to love.

you didn't toss things out there on the board, asking for people to reply like I did!  That was bad!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! :P

Oh.. sorry.. I fell asleep.(now where did I put that frozen rope?) :D   

You may not be the murderer but... 

I'm innocent!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  and HA! (tell me another one) :D

I'm awaiting the appearance of someone! 

Well, at last she's here... 

bellejabez_zps70563907.jpg

Perhaps  you should ask her for a dance. :D

• Like 1