Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

HELLO there Grey Dude.. 

Look at YOU, posting a list at last!! Looks like you have been watching a little bit of "everything' again, (but alas. .no BABE??) :D

Just a quick glance and the only ones that stand out that I believe I have seen would be: 

Around the World in Eighty Days (meh..not a huge fan, but it does have it's moments) 

Bachelor Mother (good for a smile) 

The Children's Hour (OH me.. not my cuppa tea.. very depressing) 

Cimarron (Very good film, if a bit long and drawn out, as I recall) 

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (HA!! I love to watch the ending.. but it has been a long time since I saw it all the way through) 

Kitty Foyle (saw it some time ago.. very good job by Ginger as I recall, but don't remember enough to say much more)

Singin' in the Rain (OH me.. a family favorite. Probably the kidling loves it even more than I do)

The Story of Temple Drake (VERY intriguing as I recall, but I would have to see it again to speak much on it. )

The Time Machine (Fun sci-fi but not a huge favorite)

Will look at your list a bit closer to see if I missed anything.. and will look forward to your review as well. (I have NO idea how well you liked most of them.. but I maybe could guess on a few) 

PS.. I seem to remember someone telling me something they were going to do soon... where is The Gangster on this list... hmmmmmm??? :P

PS Molo.. you've been a busy, busy boy!! (and PS some more.. don't EVEN get me started on Miss Jean again. ha. It took me weeks to clean up from all the mud fighting that went on with that one. ) :D 

Alright Scooby-doo, this is a giant thing of a list! I'll do my best, you meanie!....Texan women....I'll get you for that comment! Heehee! I'm going to comment on some of these, but not all of them. Whew!

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) - So I completely thought you had seen this one for some reason. I'm not the absolute biggest fan of war movies, but this one affected me. It's not your typical movie that girls go for, but I was glued to the TV for this one. I loved Lew's performance! His emotion was perfectly displayed in all the right ways!

Around the World in Eighty Days (1956) - This is a really cute one! David Niven! Yay! I love that Noel Coward made an appearance in this one. But then you probably thought it was too cutesie for you.

Bachelor Mother (1939) - This one is too good!! It's a comfort film for me, but I can't ever decide between this one and the Debbie Reynolds musical remake. They are both adorable! YAY! You'd never last through the Debbie one. :) I really wanted to see it on the big screen at the festival, but I think it was the same night as the red carpet.

The Bad Sister (1931) - I watched this one for Bette, but I ended up thinking Charles Winninger and Zasu Pitts stole it for me. You just can't go wrong with Zasu. She's too cute!

Break of Hearts (1935) - Kate!! Yay!! I'd be interested to see what you thought with this one. It's not typically my favorite of her films or even close to my favorite of her 30's films, but it's quite the little gem.

The Broadway Melody (1929) - I love this musical! I can't believe you sat through so many musicals. People might start thinking you like these ya know. I'd hate for your reputation to be too ruined. Heehee!

Butterfield 8 (1960) - I know you absolutely loved this one, so don't deny it! This is one of those examples where, as a child, I didn't like this at all. I'm surprised my grandmother let me sit through this one....Actually I think I watched it without her knowing, but that's entirely besides the point. Heehee! I re-watched it when I hit about 18 or 19 and completely changed my mind about it. I think it's a great performance by Liz. I love Eddie, but then you guessed that already.

The Children's Hour (1961) - This is quite the extraordinary film. Very controversial. I recently showed this one to Joe, because he didn't get to see it at the festival with me and really thought it looked interesting. He loved it.

Distant Drums (1951) - GARY!! I can't wait to hear this one!

Fraulein (1958) - GASP!!!! YES! I'm so happy you watched this one finally! Dana is magnificent in it! I love her character. She tried so hard to protect herself and even though she is scared stiff, yes tries to hide it, you can see that fear in her eyes. Her body language is so defensive. It's an interesting story, even with people complaining of the propaganda aspect of it. I agree, it does hit you in the face, but I still love it.

The Gazebo (1959) - I'm jealous that you've seen this one. I dearly wish to watch it.

Gone to Earth (1950) - EWWWWWWWW!!!! I like Jen Jones, but for goodness sake, her running amok and very annoying personality are like nails on a chalkboard for me. Yet, I know you loved this one. You always go for the free-spirit girls. The guys in it were even more vexatious.

Invasion of the Body-Snatchers - Okay, this is a favorite. It's cheesy and my husband thinks I'm a dork for loving it, nevertheless, it's Dana. What could go wrong?! She's gorgeous with her pretty poofy dresses and I'm on the edge of my seat the whole time. Love it! It's always a plus to see Kevin McCarthy in anything as a young man. I still see him as the bad guy in "Innerspace" and it makes me giggle happily.

The Lady from Cheyenne (1941) - Even though I consider Loretta one of my top 5 favorite classic actresses, even I didn't absolutely love this one. It had it's cute moments and the ending was okay, but this one was a little bland over all and very far-fetched. There's not a lot of accuracy with this one. And I wrote a 43 page term paper of the vote for women in high school. Heehee!

Mad Dog Coll (1961) - Why did I sit through this one? I don't know; however, I found John Davis Chandler very convincing a creep of a mob killer.

The Old Maid (1939) - This one greatly affected me when I was a kid. I would just cry buckets for Bette. Such a deeply emotional story.

On the Double (1961) - My favorite Danny Kaye movie!! YAY!! "I'm on a salt-free, fat-free, high protein, low calorie, low cholesterol diet."

The Redhead from Wyoming (1953) - I love Moey as a feisty girlie!

Roxie Hart (1942) - This is a favorite of mine from Ginger! I'm a Chicago musical lover, but I saw this beforehand. I have to say Ginger rocks at playing Roxie!  I think she can be very versatile. When she is sweet and shy, she plays it out perfectly and when she has sass-a-frass, you better watch out! I very much respect her for it.

Singin' in the Rain (1952) - So how did you like the sexy Cyd Charisse in her green get-up? I love Debbie in this one. She packs one heck of a personality. Donald O' Connor trips me up every time.

Tea and Sympathy (1956) - Deborah!! How exciting! I know you wanted to see this one for a while. Did you like it? I have a strong feeling you did, but that's just a guess.

Till the Clouds Roll By (1946) - This is such a cute all-star musical! Every number is bubbly and perfect! Heehee! I love Jerome Kern's music, so I always enjoy seeing this one.

Toni (1935) - I love the work of Jean Renoir. I think he truly followed his daddy's footsteps with artistic talent in every sense. But this one just wasn't a big favorite when I saw it. Maybe I have to re-watch it. The main guy, Charles Blavette aggravated me because of his back and forth lack of honesty with the women in his life, especially the one he was living with. He shouldn't have led her on so much. To me, he was the epitomy of selfish through the whole movie with the exception of the very end. And that was completely out of character for him to do for his love. I fought with myself to like this movie all through it. I really wanted to like it! I do happen to think you will very much like the premise of it and some of the characters.

Hey there Baby T!!!

Hi Larry! I'm here! I'm sorry, I've been caught up with a lot recently. Everything sort of happened with my life and it all came at me at once. It's been a bit overwhelming. I do miss it on here and all of you and your beautiful writings. I sign in every once a while to read. I promise. :) I was planning on coming back on here shortly anyway. How are you, darling?

It is so nice to hear from you and see you posting again. I hope things are going really well for you. I have been doing good. I just got back to posting again myself.

I'm not exactly sure what you did or said to Frank but he is really going through those Greer films. :) I'm impressed!

Hey Laffite,

I read once she was quite bitter about the Code. It ruined her career. It might be said that she lost control of both sides of the camera with that. They wouldn't let her do her stuff. I did not research this, just remember it somewhere, did I remember right? I'm too lazy to look myself.

I'm sure Mae was very frustrated with the code restrictions. I'm not sure exactly how she personally felt though. I don't think she would have agreed to work with Fields if her career hadn't been in decline.

Hey there Ro,

PS Molo.. you've been a busy, busy boy!! (and PS some more.. don't EVEN get me started on Miss Jean again. ha. It took me weeks to clean up from all the mud fighting that went on with that one. ) :D

Ha! First Jane Russell's singing  and now Jean Brodie! I really have to tread lightly around here! :D 

I did see you comments about Jean Brodie, it is hard to navigate pape to page that far back in the thread so I probably missed some.That was a great discussion though.

First Jane Russell's singing  and now Jean Brodie! I really have to tread lightly around here

Hey.. I just call 'em like I see 'em, Madhat. :D

• Like 1

Hey there Frank,

Wow that is quite a list!

Around the World in Eighty Days (1956) This is a big spectacle right? I saw it as a kid and liked it then but I don't know how I would feel about it now. It is so long too! I still liked the idea of traveling around in the balloon. That's what I remember most.

Bachelor Mother (1939) This is not my favorite Ginger Roger's comedy but it is right up there.

The Bad Sister (1931) I saw this a long time ago and remember liking the family interaction. I remember a scene where the little brother does something and it backfires on "good sister" Marianne and he didn't mean it to go that way and I found it all pretty touching. Weird how that is what I remember most about that film. This is early Davis and early Bogart, not sure how you'll react to that. I liked Sidney Fox, I think. I'm going to try and watch this one again very soon.  

Cain and Mabel (1936) I have not really explored much of Marion Davies' work, which is odd because I'm interested in her. I'm going to watch this one too.

Dames (1934) I liked these early Warner's musicals. I'm thinking this probably won't sit well with you though. It is a musical. I'm not sure if you would like the story but maybe you'll like the humor.

Dead Men Tell (1941) This is one of my favorite Chan films. I like the setting and the spooky atmosphere. It's different than most. I think you will like this one.

The Earl of Chicago (1940) This has a good cast and I remember it starting well. I also remember Montgomery's performance somewhat. It goes fuzzy in the mind though.

Flamingo Road (1949) Joan Crawford as a carnival dancer down south being treated badly and slapping around a sweaty Sidney Greenstreet! What's not to like?

A Free Soul (1931) A big Norma Shearer film and a breakthrough performance by Gable. It ends up in a courtroom and Lionel Barrymore gets a big speech. I think you will find things to like here. I haven't been watching a lot of Norma lately except for some of her silent work. I will revisit this one.

The Gazebo (1959) I love this film! I am hoping you enjoyed it too. I think you will like the dark humor and the absurd situations. Love the "phonebook" scene and the seeking advice from a certain guy in Hollywood. Glenn Ford gives a great comedic performance.

Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) I remember showing you a clip of the Forgotten Man number ages ago and you weren't into it. I'm curious if that has changed. I enjoy these films. Great Warners depression era vibe to them and always a good cast of characters. I'm not sure about this one right off the top of my head but I know that there is sometimes a lot of story and then several big musical numbers at the end. Not sure what you will think of this one.

I guess I'll stop there for now and give the rest a look a little later. Great to see a new list out!

I've only seen I'm No Angel and My Little Chickadee, I believe.

I'm no Angel is one of her best but give Night After Night and She Done Him Wrong a try and see what you think. My Little Chickadee, from what I can remember, seemed more like a Fields film than a West film. I remember the "shooting out of the train" scene having a total Fields type feel to it though West was doing the scene. 

I think she's locked up somewhere.  She took Greer's murderous on-screen roles a bit too seriously.  Texan women.

Looks like she got out Frank! Be very afraid! I see long black gloves in your future!

Three hours of Bible Class?!  I'm worried!

and it's a musical too! :D

I can't sleep so I'll go a little more down the list. :)

Her Cardboard Lover (1942)  I have never watched this. I guess it's reputation as a career killer for Shearer always put me off. I know some people do like it. Norma herself said that her last two films were her choice and her mistake alone. I'll going to go ahead and watch it and see for myself.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) I saw the 1978 version first and it scared the heck out of me. The original has a different feel and wasn't quite as scary but they are both great films. I really liked the idea and the story.

Keep 'Em Flying (1941) Another early A&C film. No Andrews Sisters this time but there is music. I liked this film and I enjoy the addition of Martha Raye but I didn't care for Foran. It's pretty funny though. Not sure if you will like this one better than Buck Privates.

Lady on a Train (1945) We don't talk about Deanna Durbin very often around here. I enjoyed this once I got over the disappointment that it didn't take place on a train. Maybe I was thinking of The Lady Vanishes! Anyway, Durbin is a very charming personality and she gets a good supporting cast to work with. As always it has been a while since I saw it, but I think it had a light touch and the mystery was interesting, just not as good as I wanted it to be. If you are looking for a wonderful Durbin film check out It Started with Eve.

Love on the Run (1936) I saw this ages ago and did not like it. You would think with Gable, Crawford and Tone that it would work better but the humor was off for me.

I think I'm finally getting tired and the typos are probably piling up so I'll end on that cranky note. I'll try to finish looking at the list hopefully tomorrow.

Top of the morning, Larry!

Hey there Baby T!!!

It is so nice to hear from you and see you posting again. I hope things are going really well for you. I have been doing good. I just got back to posting again myself.

Things are just lovely, thank you for asking! I still giggle way too much. Heehee!

I'm not exactly sure what you did or said to Frank but he is really going through those Greer films. :) I'm impressed!

Hey, don't look at me. I didn't say anything! I think he wants to watch them all, so he can prove how horrible she is to me. It won't work. I know his tricks all too well. Heehee!

I think she's locked up somewhere.  She took Greer's murderous on-screen roles a bit too seriously.  Texan women.

Looks like she got out Frank! Be very afraid! I see long black gloves in your future!

He's no long afraid of my long black gloves, I don't think. I've started baking pies and throwing them in his face lately. He just loves that. ;)

Larry! Don't convince him against it, silly goose! It's not really about bible class and the parts that are about bible class are really funny and cute. Let's talk about the fun things. They have pet alligators! Greer scolds one of them! Heck, she scolds Freddy MacMurray! :D

Hey there Sweet T,

Things are just lovely, thank you for asking! I still giggle way too much. Heehee!

Glad to here it. Don't ever stop giggling! :) 

Hey, don't look at me. I didn't say anything! I think he wants to watch them all, so he can prove how horrible she is to me. It won't work. I know his tricks all too well. Heehee!

He's no long afraid of my long black gloves, I don't think. I've started baking pies and throwing them in his face lately. He just loves that. ;)

Ha! You two always make me laugh!

Larry! Don't convince him against it, silly goose! It's not really about bible class and the parts that are about bible class are really funny and cute. Let's talk about the fun things. They have pet alligators! Greer scolds one of them! Heck, she scolds Freddy MacMurray! :D

I'm sure he will watch it. I did enjoy Greer and the alligators. Lesley Ann Warren is very cute too.

Frank is really branching out all over the place. He'll be watching Judy Canova films by the end of the year!

Hey Frank,

Just a few final comments on your list.

Rain (1932) I like the feel and look of this film, the locale, the stranded assortment of characters,  the rain; the camera moves faster than the story at times. It is an interesting film to look at.  Huston is intense and Crawford is striking. I think the theme will interest you.

Singin' in the Rain (1952) A fun story, vibrant cast and energetic production numbers. Jean Hagen is hilarious, O'Conner is amazing. It is worthy of it's reputation. If you haven't seen The Band Wagon I would recommend it. It has Astaire instead of Kelly and Charisse not only dances but is involved in the story. 

The Story of Temple Drake (1933)  I waited a long time for this movie to become available and when it did I placed it on the shelf and have still never got around to watching it. I will do that now.

Take a Letter, Darling (1942) I have always enjoyed Rosalind Russell comedies. Sometimes I have trouble remembering which film is which though. This one has Fred MacMurray and there is tension over role reversal. I'm sure I liked it. :)

Till the Clouds Roll By (1946) A big long showcase for singing and dancing! I think you might have struggled with this one. There is a lot of talent in this but I have only seen it once and that was quite a while back.

The Time Machine (1960) Morlocks! A great science fiction film. I like time travel stories. This has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. The special effects are pretty good too.  

I also gave A Free Soul another look last night so I am up to speed on that one. I will be checking out a few more of these that I either haven't seen or don't remember very well.  

Hey there Sweet T,

Glad to here it. Don't ever stop giggling! :)

I shall never! I don't think you have to worry. Heehee! Someone once told me I was too silly and I look dright at them and said "well maybe you're too serious" and giggled back.

Ha! You two always make me laugh!

Glad we could help! :D

I'm sure he will watch it. I did enjoy Greer and the alligators. Lesley Ann Warren is very cute too.

I have no doubt he will watch it! He wants to hold it over my head and blame me for the torture he will endure! How rude! Heehee! I like Leslie in that! It was the first movie I saw of hers.

Have you seen the other live action Disney musical she is in? It's called the family band, I think. My momma tried getting me to like that one and I didn't like it as much.

Frank is really branching out all over the place. He'll be watching Judy Canova films by the end of the year!

Yes he is! I'm proud of him for it! Hahaha! I don't know if he will like those Canova films.

Hey there, Cowboy Chris -- "Bachelor Mother" has always been a treat for me. Anything with Charles Coburn is a bonus. (Check "Vivacious Lady" where he costars with Ginger.) It's funny and you get to see Ginger dance a little.

And she fights in Vivacious Lady, too!  I liked Ginger a heckuva lot in Bachelor Mother, as well.

"Singin' In The Rain" is just a great picture. Great dancing, funny situations. It's just a joy. I have a friend who is a dean a local school and his school was putting on a performance of it and he had never seen the movie. I'm still waiting on a review from him.

And a review from me. :D  But I can say I wasn't as crazy about it like others seem to be.

Howdy, Ma Stone -- Look at YOU, posting a list at last!! Looks like you have been watching a little bit of "everything' again, (but alas. .no BABE??) :D

I'd have to post my contemporary list for that. :P

Around the World in Eighty Days (meh..not a huge fan, but it does have it's moments) 

I was expecting the worst and ended up being pleasantly surprised by it.  It's a "cameo" film that I found rather loving.

Bachelor Mother (good for a smile) 

I liked it more than that!

The Children's Hour (OH me.. not my cuppa tea.. very depressing) 

It really was different than These Three.  I prefer that film but I still liked The Children's Hour.

Cimarron (Very good film, if a bit long and drawn out, as I recall) 

I found it to be quite bland.  That surprised me.  But I'm not one to like films that look to tell a story through time.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (HA!! I love to watch the ending.. but it has been a long time since I saw it all the way through) 

An enjoyable film but I was hoping to like it more.  I'm still trying to put my finger on what the drawback is for me.

Kitty Foyle (saw it some time ago.. very good job by Ginger as I recall, but don't remember enough to say much more)

I really liked this one!  One of my very favorite "Ginger" films.

Singin' in the Rain (OH me.. a family favorite. Probably the kidling loves it even more than I do)

Uh-oh!

The Story of Temple Drake (VERY intriguing as I recall, but I would have to see it again to speak much on it. )

You're right, it's very intriguing.  Certainly on the shocking side.  But the 60s remake is way worse!

The Time Machine (Fun sci-fi but not a huge favorite)

Boy, we are on opposite sides a lot!  I really liked this one.  I liked the romantic side of this, believe it or not.  And the loyal friendship.

PS.. I seem to remember someone telling me something they were going to do soon... where is The Gangster on this list... hmmmmmm??? :P

I shall watch it and post my thoughts on it in your film noir thread!

The always entertaining Miss Jean!  Or is Quiet Gal? :)

Look who it is!  It's what's her name!  Always hiding!  Are you currently hiding Snippy, too?

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) - So I completely thought you had seen this one for some reason. I'm not the absolute biggest fan of war movies, but this one affected me. It's not your typical movie that girls go for, but I was glued to the TV for this one. I loved Lew's performance! His emotion was perfectly displayed in all the right ways!

This was one of the biggest films I had yet to see.  Miss G had suggested it to me a couple times.  I certainly did like it, but I was expecting to like it more.  Love the book-ending of the film.  From the "rah rah" expectations from the idealistic to the difficult situations of the realistic.

Around the World in Eighty Days (1956) - This is a really cute one! David Niven! Yay! I love that Noel Coward made an appearance in this one. But then you probably thought it was too cutesie for you.

What I liked most about the film is its charm.  It's such a winning film.

Bachelor Mother (1939) - This one is too good!! It's a comfort film for me, but I can't ever decide between this one and the Debbie Reynolds musical remake. They are both adorable! YAY! You'd never last through the Debbie one. :) I really wanted to see it on the big screen at the festival, but I think it was the same night as the red carpet.

You're right, I'd probably keel over watching the Debbie musical remake.  Ugh!

The Bad Sister (1931) - I watched this one for Bette, but I ended up thinking Charles Winninger and Zasu Pitts stole it for me. You just can't go wrong with Zasu. She's too cute!

It was Sidney Fox (who?!) that I liked most in this one.  Bogie is almost unrecognizable in this one!

Break of Hearts (1935) - Kate!! Yay!! I'd be interested to see what you thought with this one. It's not typically my favorite of her films or even close to my favorite of her 30's films, but it's quite the little gem.

The combination of Kate and Charles is really fascinating.  And I think both play characters that suit them exceptionally well.  A pretty mature story, too.

The Broadway Melody (1929) - I love this musical! I can't believe you sat through so many musicals. People might start thinking you like these ya know. I'd hate for your reputation to be too ruined. Heehee!

My reputation can only improve!  Of the films I watched, I was most surprised by this film.  I liked it!  Loved Anita Page a great deal!  Bessie Love was really good, too.  Quite a revelation.  This film shows up on "worst Best Picture" lists, but I'd say it's underrated.

Butterfield 8 (1960) - I know you absolutely loved this one, so don't deny it! This is one of those examples where, as a child, I didn't like this at all. I'm surprised my grandmother let me sit through this one....Actually I think I watched it without her knowing, but that's entirely besides the point. Heehee! I re-watched it when I hit about 18 or 19 and completely changed my mind about it. I think it's a great performance by Liz. I love Eddie, but then you guessed that already.

I'm now convinced that Liz Taylor and Miss Goddess are one in the same. :D So is your number BUtterscotch 8?

The Children's Hour (1961) - This is quite the extraordinary film. Very controversial. I recently showed this one to Joe, because he didn't get to see it at the festival with me and really thought it looked interesting. He loved it.

I'm more surprised to learn he loved it!  Quite remarkable.  It's not a film for all.

You can wait. :D  I did like Mari Aldon.  Who the heck is she?!

Fraulein (1958) - GASP!!!! YES! I'm so happy you watched this one finally! Dana is magnificent in it! I love her character. She tried so hard to protect herself and even though she is scared stiff, yes tries to hide it, you can see that fear in her eyes. Her body language is so defensive. It's an interesting story, even with people complaining of the propaganda aspect of it. I agree, it does hit you in the face, but I still love it.

This one is rather messy.  Kind of similar to Diary of a Lost Girl.  I wanted to like it more.

The Gazebo (1959) - I'm jealous that you've seen this one. I dearly wish to watch it.

You would like it.

Gone to Earth (1950) - EWWWWWWWW!!!! I like Jen Jones, but for goodness sake, her running amok and very annoying personality are like nails on a chalkboard for me. Yet, I know you loved this one. You always go for the free-spirit girls. The guys in it were even more vexatious.

What do you mean, "EWWWWWWWWWW!!!"?!  This one is good!  Jenny is great!  Love the "animal attraction" of this film.  David Farrar is good at providing sparks.

Invasion of the Body-Snatchers - Okay, this is a favorite. It's cheesy and my husband thinks I'm a dork for loving it, nevertheless, it's Dana. What could go wrong?! She's gorgeous with her pretty poofy dresses and I'm on the edge of my seat the whole time. Love it! It's always a plus to see Kevin McCarthy in anything as a young man. I still see him as the bad guy in "Innerspace" and it makes me giggle happily.

Poofy dresses?  Say what?!

The Lady from Cheyenne (1941) - Even though I consider Loretta one of my top 5 favorite classic actresses, even I didn't absolutely love this one. It had it's cute moments and the ending was okay, but this one was a little bland over all and very far-fetched. There's not a lot of accuracy with this one. And I wrote a 43 page term paper of the vote for women in high school. Heehee!

43 pages?!  Wow!  The courtroom really bogs this one down for me.

Mad Dog Coll (1961) - Why did I sit through this one? I don't know; however, I found John Davis Chandler very convincing a creep of a mob killer.

For a "nothing" film, I though it was pretty decent.  You are right, Chandler is the biggest reason why.  He really is convincing.

The Old Maid (1939) - This one greatly affected me when I was a kid. I would just cry buckets for Bette. Such a deeply emotional story.

I didn't know Bette did a "Stella Dallas" kind of film.  This one is good.

On the Double (1961) - My favorite Danny Kaye movie!! YAY!! "I'm on a salt-free, fat-free, high protein, low calorie, low cholesterol diet."

:D Now this is a film where I like Dana!  She's beautiful in this one.  And then there is Diana Dors!  Wowza!

When isn't she?!

Roxie Hart (1942) - This is a favorite of mine from Ginger! I'm a Chicago musical lover, but I saw this beforehand. I have to say Ginger rocks at playing Roxie!  I think she can be very versatile. When she is sweet and shy, she plays it out perfectly and when she has sass-a-frass, you better watch out! I very much respect her for it.

Arrrrgh!  Not a film that I was too keen on.

Singin' in the Rain (1952) - So how did you like the sexy Cyd Charisse in her green get-up? I love Debbie in this one. She packs one heck of a personality. Donald O' Connor trips me up every time.

I liked Jean Hagen!

Tea and Sympathy (1956) - Deborah!! How exciting! I know you wanted to see this one for a while. Did you like it? I have a strong feeling you did, but that's just a guess.

Yes, I like Tea and Sympathy.  The subject matter was certainly of note, especially for its time.

Till the Clouds Roll By (1946) - This is such a cute all-star musical! Every number is bubbly and perfect! Heehee! I love Jerome Kern's music, so I always enjoy seeing this one.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!  Painful!  There was some numbers I did enjoy, though.

Hiya, Magnificent Molo -- I will definitely reply to all of your superb comments tomorrow evening.  I'm glad you commented on all that you did.  Excellent reading.

Hey Frank,

Looking forward to your comments. I did get a chance to watch The Bad Sister last night so I'm up to speed with that one too now. I noticed in my original comment I got the sisters names reversed but I got everything else right.  :) 

Hey Sweet T,

Glad we could help! :D

I need all the help I can get!

Have you seen the other live action Disney musical she is in? It's called the family band, I think. My momma tried getting me to like that one and I didn't like it as much. 

I remember seeing it when I was kid, I think, if it is the one that has something about a presidential election. I don't remember much about it though.

Look who it is!  It's what's her name!  Always hiding!  Are you currently hiding Snippy, too?

"What's her name?!" Such a meanie! Some people give hugs when they see people after a long absence! :P Yes I'm hiding Snippy. I've locked her away from you, so you can't torture her!

This was one of the biggest films I had yet to see.  Miss G had suggested it to me a couple times.  I certainly did like it, but I was expecting to like it more.  Love the book-ending of the film.  From the "rah rah" expectations from the idealistic to the difficult situations of the realistic.

I liked that mix of idealistic with realistic! I thought they pulled it off rather nicely. I wouldn't have preferred it any other way! I can see you expecting to like it more for some reason. It has a lot of hype. I'm trying to think of what you didn't like with it.

What I liked most about the film is its charm.  It's such a winning film.

Yes, Niven and all his charm. You seem to like that about him and certain other actors like Chevalier. It's all rather interesting to me. I really liked the imagination with the film overall.

You're right, I'd probably keel over watching the Debbie musical remake.  Ugh!

Maybe that should be punishment for calling me "What's her name". ;p Heehee!

It was Sidney Fox (who?!) that I liked most in this one.  Bogie is almost unrecognizable in this one!

Of course you liked Marianne! She was an all around spoiled brat! Whew! Her energy for creating havoc in her family was more than I could handle. So easy to dislike her! Her treatment of her own daddy and sister. Poor Bette! Bogie is very baby faced in this one. He doesn't have such a huge part here, but it's a real treat to see him in that car of his looking all charming, even if he does like that spoiled brat. Heehee!

The combination of Kate and Charles is really fascinating.  And I think both play characters that suit them exceptionally well.  A pretty mature story, too.

Isn't it though?! You are completely correct! They do play perfectly suited characters. Charles is becoming very typecast in my mind like this and I kind of don't like that. It's probably why I was never head over heels about him. I really try! The story can be a little blah at times, but you start to feel for Kate, or I did. Her character sort of reminds me of Alice Adams-that sheepish shyness when embarrassed easily.

My reputation can only improve!  Of the films I watched, I was most surprised by this film.  I liked it!  Loved Anita Page a great deal!  Bessie Love was really good, too.  Quite a revelation.  This film shows up on "worst Best Picture" lists, but I'd say it's underrated.

WOW! Really? That's great! I wasn't expecting you to say that at all! I've seen it on worst best picture lists as well and I don't agree with it either. I think it took a lot of work and originality at the time. I agree, Anita Page is really good in it. I love the Bessie Love "Boyfriend" number where she gets to go crazy with dancing. I love that it set standards for the time for many "stage" musicals to appear later on.

I'm now convinced that Liz Taylor and Miss Goddess are one in the same.

That's just mean! Poor Dahlink! She doesn't deserve such treachery!

:D So is your number BUtterscotch 8?

Ha. Ha. Very funny Frankenstein! I see through you, ya know!

I'm more surprised to learn he loved it!  Quite remarkable.  It's not a film for all.

He likes more complicated films. I know you like "These Three" more than this one. I can understand that. They made Children's Hour completely different from it. I liked the emotional discussion between Shirley and Audrey. How they tried helping each other. No, the ending isn't my typical liking, but I find it so riveting and shocking.

You can wait. :D  I did like Mari Aldon.  Who the heck is she?!

You're making me wait?! Where's my apple pie?! :D You know Mari from a few things! what do you mean "Who the heck is she?!" She's pretty!

This one is rather messy.  Kind of similar to Diary of a Lost Girl.  I wanted to like it more.

GASP!! Messy?! Messy?! How could you not have liked it? It does have similarities to Diary of a Lost Girl, you're right.

You would like it.

Yay, then I can't wait!

What do you mean, "EWWWWWWWWWW!!!"?!  This one is good!  Jenny is great!  Love the "animal attraction" of this film.  David Farrar is good at providing sparks.

Yeah I know why you liked it! EWWW!! Heehee! Farrar is certainly great at stirring emotions in the audience for his films. That's for surely! Jenny's personality in this was so painful to watch! It was like watching a really ditzy naïve girl and making her even more stupid about life. I like care free girls like Betty Field in Shepherd of the Hills, but at least she had some common sense. The whole "animal attraction" thing was okay at first, but then it started bugging me. It seemed like she cared more for the animals than the actual people in her life.

Poofy dresses?  Say what?!

Yeah, the cute little day dresses Dana was wearing! AWWW! Heehee! Isn't that exactly what you look for in a film, Frankie? :P

43 pages?!  Wow!  The courtroom really bogs this one down for me.

Don't look at me. My daddy wanted me to know what thorough research was in high school. It's a long story! Heehee! I agree with the courtroom stuff. That didn't help the excitement of the film for me either.

For a "nothing" film, I though it was pretty decent.  You are right, Chandler is the biggest reason why.  He really is convincing.

He's such a creep! Whew! I wouldn't ever want to be a girl around him. His lack of feeling for any person was convincing...and disturbing.

I didn't know Bette did a "Stella Dallas" kind of film.  This one is good.

Yeah, it had a Stella Dallas feel, but It's actually quite different. This is the film that really made me dislike Miriam Hopkins. But I was a kid at the time, so I had to force myself to watch other films of hers, so I could have an unbiased opinion. I had to convince myself it was only one movie. heehee!

Now this is a film where I like Dana!  She's beautiful in this one.  And then there is Diana Dors!  Wowza!

YAY for Dana! She's wonderful here!

Of course you like Diana Dors. :P "Oh Larry, I know a lovely way to cure the common cold" Heehee! She was a traitor!

When isn't she?!

That's a really good point!...ummm...OOH! The Forbidden Street, she is more sweet than spitfire. Ha! There you go! :D

Arrrrgh!  Not a film that I was too keen on.

Wow, I got a whole pirate growl out of you for this one. You must have hated it! Ha! That makes me giggle for some reason! Why not?

I liked Jean Hagen!

WHY OH WHY?!?  "What's wrong with the way I talk? Am I dumb or something?"

Yes, I like Tea and Sympathy.  The subject matter was certainly of note, especially for its time.

I liked that! It's so different and not the usual for Deborah. I loved her character!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!  Painful!  There was some numbers I did enjoy, though.

Hey, I didn't tell you to watch that! I knew that would be painful for you! I don't like to inflict these things on you!...regardless of whether you think I'm a strangler or not. :D

HELLO there Grey Dude, 

I'd have to post my contemporary list for that

Oh good grief... I'll be waiting all YEAR for that one.. ha. 

I was expecting the worst and ended up being pleasantly surprised by it.  It's a "cameo" film that I found rather loving.

It has its moments. I am just not a huge fan. Have you ever seen The Great Race? I don't know why, but that movie and this one sort of give me the same feeling.. mildy fun, but just too convoluted to follow it all the way through. ha.  (sort of like a precursor to Cannonball Run, ha.. only with more sophisticated humor.. and without Burt or Dom. ha. I was never a big fan of THAT movie either) :)

It really was different than These Three.  I prefer that film but I still liked The Children's Hour.

I saw a portion of These Three some time ago. But don't remember enough about it to say one way or the other. But I think I may side w/ you on that, if memory serves. 

I found it to be quite bland.  That surprised me.  But I'm not one to like films that look to tell a story through time.

It just depends. Some films that works for me and others it doesn't. The danger when you try to go into that sort of long tale is that some parts are going to be more enjoyable that others (and other parts are just there to move the story along) I think I liked the earlier portions of the movie better than the latter, but would have to watch it again to say for sure. 

An enjoyable film but I was hoping to like it more.  I'm still trying to put my finger on what the drawback is for me.

Oh.. I think it is one of those "just for fun" types of movies. At least now days. I imagine when it was made, it was all about the "horror" but the fact is.. ha. .it's so "hoaky". Or it SEEMS that way to me (compared to others in that genre that might have been made at a similar time) It is just is too funny to take it seriously. ha. (NOW, anyway) Who knows what I might have thought 50 years ago. I feel the same way about War of the Worlds. Maybe at least I can say that IBO is that way to me because it relied too much on "shock" value of those pods and (and the concept that "they" were out to get us. ha) The term "Pod people" back THEN was so terrifying. But now its commonplace) and the phrase is used so easily (and often as a joke) you have to laugh instead of be afraid. People who never even saw the movie, might have no reference for where that came from.. but still know what it means. ha. 

I don't know.. 

RE: Singin' in the Rain   Uh-oh!

Seriously?????????????????? That thing is a masterpiece. REALLY?? (ha.. oh wait. Look who I am talking to. The guy who hated the Wizard of OZ for crying out loud!) Picture me rolling my eyes.. oh wait.  you don't have to. Here:   :rolleyes:

You're right, it's very intriguing.  Certainly on the shocking side.  But the 60s remake is way worse!

If I am remembering correctly, it truly did deal with some pretty harsh themes. I can't even IMAGINE what it would be like remade in the 60's. 

Boy, we are on opposite sides a lot

Ha.. it's what we do.  :P 

I really liked this one.  I liked the romantic side of this, believe it or not.  And the loyal friendship.

The QT likes it. (he also likes War of the Worlds that I mentioned earlier too) Again.. I think it is that it is too "hoaky" to me. Those morlocks.. oh bruddah. Even some of the time travel shots. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE some early sci-fi and/or monster movies. But some of them I just don't like much. I think it is because that at least this sort of movie has been "done" so much by others over the years that it is hard to like an older less "up to date" version (at least for me) But I have to say.. I saw a remake of this movie (from about 15 years or so ago?) and the technology was more modern.. I really liked it a lot more than the original. But I confess.. only because of the technology. I don't think it improved on the story much for me.. which was ok, but still  not a huge draw for my personal taste. 

I shall watch it and post my thoughts on it in your film noir thread!

Oh good grief... I'll be waiting all year for THAT one too.. ha.   :rolleyes:  

The always entertaining Miss Jean!  Or is Quiet Gal?

OH no. ha. You forget.. I am not Jean Brodie. I am that old gal who ran the school.. what's her name. ha. Now THAT would be me. :D

Meanwhile.. I AM glad to see we can agree on ONE "Jean" ha. Lena Lamont is my most favorite character in SITR. (she gets all the best lines for sure! :D

Good evening, Miss Mackay -- I'd have to post my contemporary list for that

Oh good grief... I'll be waiting all YEAR for that one.. ha. 

Probably longer!

It has its moments. I am just not a huge fan. Have you ever seen The Great Race? I don't know why, but that movie and this one sort of give me the same feeling.. mildy fun, but just too convoluted to follow it all the way through. ha. (sort of like a precursor to Cannonball Run, ha.. only with more sophisticated humor.. and without Burt or Dom. ha. I was never a big fan of THAT movie either) :)

And I love The Cannonball Run!  Captain Chaos!  I haven't seen The Great Race, though.  If it's like these two films, I'd probably like it.

It just depends. Some films that works for me and others it doesn't. The danger when you try to go into that sort of long tale is that some parts are going to be more enjoyable that others (and other parts are just there to move the story along) I think I liked the earlier portions of the movie better than the latter, but would have to watch it again to say for sure. 

And for me, I find most "journey through time" films boring because they gloss over a lot, thus leaving emotional impact at the door.

Oh.. I think it is one of those "just for fun" types of movies. At least now days. I imagine when it was made, it was all about the "horror" but the fact is.. ha. .it's so "hoaky". Or it SEEMS that way to me (compared to others in that genre that might have been made at a similar time) It is just is too funny to take it seriously. ha. (NOW, anyway) Who knows what I might have thought 50 years ago. I feel the same way about War of the Worlds. Maybe at least I can say that IBO is that way to me because it relied too much on "shock" value of those pods and (and the concept that "they" were out to get us. ha) The term "Pod people" back THEN was so terrifying. But now its commonplace) and the phrase is used so easily (and often as a joke) you have to laugh instead of be afraid. People who never even saw the movie, might have no reference for where that came from.. but still know what it means. ha. 

I don't know.. 

I tend to love cheesiness in sci-fi films, so that works for me.  I especially love the cheese of the 50s sci-fi flick.  And I actually found the assimilation by the pods to be creepy.  That all worked for me.  It's just the story seem to be lacking.

Seriously?????????????????? That thing is a masterpiece. REALLY?? (ha.. oh wait. Look who I am talking to. The guy who hated the Wizard of OZ for crying out loud!) Picture me rolling my eyes.. oh wait.  you don't have to. Here:   :rolleyes:

Ha!  I dislike The Wizard of Oz more than Singin' in the Rain, although I liked the fantasy elements of Oz.  I just couldn't grab onto anything with the film with the exception of Jean Hagen.

If I am remembering correctly, it truly did deal with some pretty harsh themes. I can't even IMAGINE what it would be like remade in the 60's. 

The themes were more salacious in the 60s version.

The QT likes it. (he also likes War of the Worlds that I mentioned earlier too) Again.. I think it is that it is too "hoaky" to me. Those morlocks.. oh bruddah. Even some of the time travel shots. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE some early sci-fi and/or monster movies. But some of them I just don't like much. I think it is because that at least this sort of movie has been "done" so much by others over the years that it is hard to like an older less "up to date" version (at least for me) But I have to say.. I saw a remake of this movie (from about 15 years or so ago?) and the technology was more modern.. I really liked it a lot more than the original. But I confess.. only because of the technology. I don't think it improved on the story much for me.. which was ok, but still  not a huge draw for my personal taste. 

Love the Morlocks! I liked the old time machine look.  The future world is interesting, too.  Is it good for the world to regress?  Is knowledge good for us or bad for us?  The more like-minded and clueless we are, the better?  The truth is, every difference creates a fear and concern between two.

Oh good grief... I'll be waiting all year for THAT one too.. ha.   :rolleyes:  

That's right!

OH no. ha. You forget.. I am not Jean Brodie. I am that old gal who ran the school.. what's her name. ha. Now THAT would be me. :D

You are right!

Meanwhile.. I AM glad to see we can agree on ONE "Jean" ha. Lena Lamont is my most favorite character in SITR. (she gets all the best lines for sure! :D

Poor Lina!  They did her dirty!

Good evening, Miss Mackay 

That's IT! That's her.. that's ME! :D

Probably longer!

OH bruddah.. shades of Bridge on the River Kwai.. and oh.. um.. about a gazillion OTHER movies. :D

And I love The Cannonball Run!  Captain Chaos!  I haven't seen The Great Race, though.  If it's like these two films, I'd probably like it.

Ha.. I had forgotten about Captain Chaos. (one of my brothers used to go around saying that if I remember right) I think The Great Race has more "madcap" humor in it than Around the World in 80 Days (and maybe a more risque too, if I recall)  but it is a lot like both movies in terms of the "long series of misadventures" during the race to the finish line". There are a lot of cameos and silly situations that arise along the way. Jack Lemmon was funny, as I recall. (I am sure you will love Natalie.. but Tony Curtis is.. ha... annoying) :D

I tend to love cheesiness in sci-fi films, so that works for me.  I especially love the cheese of the 50s sci-fi flick.  And I actually found the assimilation by the pods to be creepy.  That all worked for me.  It's just the story seem to be lacking.

I would really need to watch it again to say too much more. I think it is just one (like The Blob, perhaps) that maybe was MEANT to be scary back in the day.. but i just can't get too worked up over it now. 

Ha!  I dislike The Wizard of Oz more than Singin' in the Rain, although I liked the fantasy elements of Oz.  I just couldn't grab onto anything with the film with the exception of Jean Hagen.

She was terrific. But really.. the whole show is Kelly. I mean.. he really was something. My mom and I took the kidling to see this movie on the big screen several years ago (when TCM showed it in theaters a while back) and it was almost overwhelming to see it so "larger than life" that way. He and Donald O'Connor were just crazy good with all that dancing. Debbie wasn't bad herself. But I do confess.. Jean really does shine. She may not dance.. and ha.. you don't WANT her to sing.. but good golly is she ever hilarious. :D

If there is one part I would have taken out, it was that whole "Broadway Melody" portion.. agh. It goes on way too long for me and interrupts the story. But it IS a masterpiece within a masterpiece though. The dancing is spectacular all the way through the movie, but really is very special in that portion too. 

Love the Morlocks! I liked the old time machine look.  The future world is interesting, too.  Is it good for the world to regress?  Is knowledge good for us or bad for us?  The more like-minded and clueless we are, the better?  The truth is, every difference creates a fear and concern between two.

I would have to see it again to be sure, but I think it is just a matter of me not really being as caught up in the story as you were.  I KNOW this movie is supposed to make me think (ha.. at least a little) Maybe that is why it falls flatter for me than it does for some. Because I don't remember it holding much interest for me in what it is supposed to be "saying".  So the rest of it (to me) is just.. ok.  I know it contains a lot of social commentary on what at least HG Wells must have thought about society and who we are as people.. users and producers. It may even be a commentary on how some will capitalize on the "weakness" of others and abuse their power over them because they willingly give up their freedom in order to be "cared for" (Ha.. I confess.. it HAS been a while since I saw it, so I don't know for sure if that is really that strongly presented in the story or not. I might be remembering an episode of STAR TREK instead of The Time Machine.) but ha.. either way, it just does not really resonate with me as much. (Ha.. it may even be one of those "WALL E" issues for me. ha. Just about everyone I know though that movie was wonderful.. I was too busy rolling my eye, ha.) SOME films (with commentary about society) really speak to me.. but  others... not so much. So for me.. since the story was not so big, the rest of it just doesn't stand out. (Silly me... those Morlocks will likely be coming for  me any day now) ha. :)

RE: The Gangster: 

That's right!

Don't MAKE me go all "Summer of Darkness" on you. ha. I just spent two months watching over 30 films FILLED with all sort of violence, murder, and mayhem. I now have even MORE tools in my arsenal to inflict UNTOLD pain on you if you don't watch out. (hmm.. where is my test tube of glow in the dark poison?? Better yet.. I'll just get Jean Simmons or Jane Greer to take you for a ride in the car!) :D

OH wait.. this just in. I am editing my post because I JUST got back from taking a "Walk on the Noir Side" and I see you DID watch the Gangster afterall. And after I was all set to send you out for a drive. Dadgum!!

I guess I will just tell Jane and Jean to stand down for now, but I will also tell them to keep the engine running. I am SURE some OTHER occasion will come along soon enough where their driving expertise will be needed. ha. (You DO have a pretty reliable track record. I am sure it is ONLY a matter of time) :D

Edited by rohanaka

"What's her name?!" Such a meanie! Some people give hugs when they see people after a long absence! :P Yes I'm hiding Snippy. I've locked her away from you, so you can't torture her!

And some people slap!

I liked that mix of idealistic with realistic! I thought they pulled it off rather nicely. I wouldn't have preferred it any other way! I can see you expecting to like it more for some reason. It has a lot of hype. I'm trying to think of what you didn't like with it.

I don't think I was emotionally connected to All Quiet on the Western Front as much as I thought I would be.  But the ending is excellent.  I love that ending.

Yes, Niven and all his charm. You seem to like that about him and certain other actors like Chevalier. It's all rather interesting to me. I really liked the imagination with the film overall.

While I don't cite myself as a big Niven fan, I often find myself liking him a great deal.  I think he's really good.  He's so darn pleasing.

Maybe that should be punishment for calling me "What's her name". ;p Heehee!

A Debbie Reynolds musical is cruel and unusual punishment!  But it could be way worse. :P

Of course you liked Marianne! She was an all around spoiled brat! Whew! Her energy for creating havoc in her family was more than I could handle. So easy to dislike her! Her treatment of her own daddy and sister. Poor Bette! Bogie is very baby faced in this one. He doesn't have such a huge part here, but it's a real treat to see him in that car of his looking all charming, even if he does like that spoiled brat. Heehee!

It was rather funny to see Bette playing opposite the spoiled brat.  Ohhhh, how history would soon change.  Bogie was definitely baby-faced Bogie.  I don't know if his "Valentine" was to be Hispanic or Italian.

Isn't it though?! You are completely correct! They do play perfectly suited characters. Charles is becoming very typecast in my mind like this and I kind of don't like that. It's probably why I was never head over heels about him. I really try! The story can be a little blah at times, but you start to feel for Kate, or I did. Her character sort of reminds me of Alice Adams-that sheepish shyness when embarrassed easily.

Yes, Kate was still in her shy, wholesome, repressed girl stage of her career.  And I also agree with you about the story being merely solid.  I did like the emotion from Kate, though.  That's where the value of the film is with me.

WOW! Really? That's great! I wasn't expecting you to say that at all! I've seen it on worst best picture lists as well and I don't agree with it either. I think it took a lot of work and originality at the time. I agree, Anita Page is really good in it. I love the Bessie Love "Boyfriend" number where she gets to go crazy with dancing. I love that it set standards for the time for many "stage" musicals to appear later on.

There was dancing? :P As usual, my focus was on the story more than anything.  I liked the sisterly story with the man in the middle.

That's just mean! Poor Dahlink! She doesn't deserve such treachery!

I bet she likes being compared to Liz!

Ha. Ha. Very funny Frankenstein! I see through you, ya know!

That's because I'm empty!

He likes more complicated films. I know you like "These Three" more than this one. I can understand that. They made Children's Hour completely different from it. I liked the emotional discussion between Shirley and Audrey. How they tried helping each other. No, the ending isn't my typical liking, but I find it so riveting and shocking.

The love angle is completely different.  I also thought the way the trouble-making girl was shown much better in These Three.

You're making me wait?! Where's my apple pie?! :D You know Mari from a few things! what do you mean "Who the heck is she?!" She's pretty!

What else do I know her from?

GASP!! Messy?! Messy?! How could you not have liked it? It does have similarities to Diary of a Lost Girl, you're right.

I'm not sure what had me not embracing Fraulein, fully.  The setting, possibly.

Yeah I know why you liked it! EWWW!! Heehee! Farrar is certainly great at stirring emotions in the audience for his films. That's for surely! Jenny's personality in this was so painful to watch! It was like watching a really ditzy naïve girl and making her even more stupid about life. I like care free girls like Betty Field in Shepherd of the Hills, but at least she had some common sense. The whole "animal attraction" thing was okay at first, but then it started bugging me. It seemed like she cared more for the animals than the actual people in her life.

She was the hunted fox who had a devilish innocence to her, if that's possible.

Yeah, the cute little day dresses Dana was wearing! AWWW! Heehee! Isn't that exactly what you look for in a film, Frankie? :P

Oh yes, I always look at the pretty dresses.

He's such a creep! Whew! I wouldn't ever want to be a girl around him. His lack of feeling for any person was convincing...and disturbing.

Chandler had some tough scenes in the car with Elizabeth (Brooke Hayward).

Yeah, it had a Stella Dallas feel, but It's actually quite different. This is the film that really made me dislike Miriam Hopkins. But I was a kid at the time, so I had to force myself to watch other films of hers, so I could have an unbiased opinion. I had to convince myself it was only one movie. heehee!

It's rare to find anyone liking Miriam!  I'm one of the few.

Of course you like Diana Dors. :P "Oh Larry, I know a lovely way to cure the common cold" Heehee! She was a traitor!

She'd make me traitorous!

That's a really good point!...ummm...OOH! The Forbidden Street, she is more sweet than spitfire. Ha! There you go! :D

I need to check that out!

Wow, I got a whole pirate growl out of you for this one. You must have hated it! Ha! That makes me giggle for some reason! Why not?

Roxie Hart is a prison flick.  Those hardly ever work with me.

Perfect!  So lovable!

Hey, I didn't tell you to watch that! I knew that would be painful for you! I don't like to inflict these things on you!...regardless of whether you think I'm a strangler or not.

You are a strangler!

Good evening to you, Grahame's Guy -- Wow that is quite a list!

A bit overwhelming!

Around the World in Eighty Days (1956) This is a big spectacle right? I saw it as a kid and liked it then but I don't know how I would feel about it now. It is so long too! I still liked the idea of traveling around in the balloon. That's what I remember most.

The film is mostly connected set pieces that take place in different parts of the world.  I enjoyed the look of these settings and I also greatly enjoyed the cameos.  Not saying the film is fantastic.  I was just surprised to find myself being pleased by it.

Bachelor Mother (1939) This is not my favorite Ginger Roger's comedy but it is right up there.

I have it fourth on my Ginger list.  And I've seen 25 of her films, thus far.  I really enjoyed it.

The Bad Sister (1931) I saw this a long time ago and remember liking the family interaction. I remember a scene where the little brother does something and it backfires on "good sister" Marianne and he didn't mean it to go that way and I found it all pretty touching. Weird how that is what I remember most about that film. This is early Davis and early Bogart, not sure how you'll react to that. I liked Sidney Fox, I think. I'm going to try and watch this one again very soon.

Definitely early Bette and Bogie.  I do like Bette when she's sweet.  I've always like Bette in the 30s after seeing The Petrified Forest.

Cain and Mabel (1936) I have not really explored much of Marion Davies' work, which is odd because I'm interested in her. I'm going to watch this one too.

I wanted to like this one more.  Especially since I love combative relationships between the sexes.  I love that kind of hot emotion.  This one was off the mark.  And I do like Marion Davies.

Dames (1934) I liked these early Warner's musicals. I'm thinking this probably won't sit well with you though. It is a musical. I'm not sure if you would like the story but maybe you'll like the humor.

Uhhhhhh, I liked the provocative dancing.  That alone made it a musical I liked.  I enjoyed how the film is telling you it's on the naughty side.

Dead Men Tell (1941) This is one of my favorite Chan films. I like the setting and the spooky atmosphere. It's different than most. I think you will like this one.

I love the atmosphere but I didn't go for the story, so this lowered its standing with me.  But in terms of atmosphere, it's one of the better Chans.

The Earl of Chicago (1940) This has a good cast and I remember it starting well. I also remember Montgomery's performance somewhat. It goes fuzzy in the mind though.

I wasn't fond of it because of Montgomery.  I often have an issue with Bob when he starts to talk in his tough guy voice.  He's doing that here.  I prefer him more silly, maddening, and debonair.  I like it when he's boyish.

Flamingo Road (1949) Joan Crawford as a carnival dancer down south being treated badly and slapping around a sweaty Sidney Greenstreet! What's not to like?

Ha!  And I see it just aired on TCM tonight.  I did like it.  Sydney is at the top of his game in this one.  Joan is really good in these kind of pictures, too.  It's a time when I like her a good bit.  It's also another interesting role for Zachary Scott.

A Free Soul (1931) A big Norma Shearer film and a breakthrough performance by Gable. It ends up in a courtroom and Lionel Barrymore gets a big speech. I think you will find things to like here. I haven't been watching a lot of Norma lately except for some of her silent work. I will revisit this one.

Liked Norma.  Gable was explosive.  Lionel gets the spotlight at the end.  But the film as a whole didn't click with me as much as I thought it would.

The Gazebo (1959) I love this film! I am hoping you enjoyed it too. I think you will like the dark humor and the absurd situations. Love the "phonebook" scene and the seeking advice from a certain guy in Hollywood. Glenn Ford gives a great comedic performance.

It was a good suggestion by you.  I liked it.  The film kept building and building.  It's definitely a dark comedy.  Basically a dark version of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House.  It was great seeing Carl Reiner in this film.

Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) I remember showing you a clip of the Forgotten Man number ages ago and you weren't into it. I'm curious if that has changed. I enjoy these films. Great Warners depression era vibe to them and always a good cast of characters. I'm not sure about this one right off the top of my head but I know that there is sometimes a lot of story and then several big musical numbers at the end. Not sure what you will think of this one.

I definitely remember you playing me that clip many moons ago.  So I had that scene in mind when watching the film.  I can't say I'm crazy about "hey gang, let's put on a show" films.  The cast is exceptional, though.  Love seeing Ginger.

I'm no Angel is one of her best but give Night After Night and She Done Him Wrong a try and see what you think. My Little Chickadee, from what I can remember, seemed more like a Fields film than a West film. I remember the "shooting out of the train" scene having a total Fields type feel to it though West was doing the scene. 

Mae is funny with Joseph Calleia, the "Masked Bandit".  She's given plenty of screen time.  But Fields has the bigger gags in the picture.  I'll watch She Done Him Wrong, coming up.

I'm frightened!

Her Cardboard Lover (1942)  I have never watched this. I guess it's reputation as a career killer for Shearer always put me off. I know some people do like it. Norma herself said that her last two films were her choice and her mistake alone. I'll going to go ahead and watch it and see for myself.

Norma is playing Miss Goddess, so that should make for a decent viewing for you. :D  Everything seems forced in this one.  Especially the relationship.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) I saw the 1978 version first and it scared the heck out of me. The original has a different feel and wasn't quite as scary but they are both great films. I really liked the idea and the story.

I've only seen bits of the 70s remake.  That did have a scary vibe.  The 50s one still had a scary vibe.  To think you can't trust the person you know so intimately to be themselves is pretty horrifying.

Keep 'Em Flying (1941) Another early A&C film. No Andrews Sisters this time but there is music. I liked this film and I enjoy the addition of Martha Raye but I didn't care for Foran. It's pretty funny though. Not sure if you will like this one better than Buck Privates.

I did like this more than Buck Privates.  Martha Raye was terrific!  I liked Carol Bruce, too.  And I thought Lou was hilarious in this one.

Lady on a Train (1945) We don't talk about Deanna Durbin very often around here. I enjoyed this once I got over the disappointment that it didn't take place on a train. Maybe I was thinking of The Lady Vanishes! Anyway, Durbin is a very charming personality and she gets a good supporting cast to work with. As always it has been a while since I saw it, but I think it had a light touch and the mystery was interesting, just not as good as I wanted it to be. If you are looking for a wonderful Durbin film check out It Started with Eve.

The film starts on a train and the key moment happens on it, as well.  In fact, it's like Strangers on a Train meets Rear Window.  This was my second Deanna picture (Christmas Holiday was first) and I thought it was a very nice surprise.  It doesn't hurt that Dan Duryea is in it and plays a critical role.  I was very taken by the serious tone by film's end.  The cast of Ralph Bellamy, Allen Jenkins, and Edward Everett Horton sure doesn't hurt, either.

Love on the Run (1936) I saw this ages ago and did not like it. You would think with Gable, Crawford and Tone that it would work better but the humor was off for me.

I completely agree.  This sure ain't It Happened One Night.

Rain (1932) I like the feel and look of this film, the locale, the stranded assortment of characters,  the rain; the camera moves faster than the story at times. It is an interesting film to look at.  Huston is intense and Crawford is striking. I think the theme will interest you.

All that you say about the film is true and I liked all of those elements.  But oh that story.  I didn't buy the change with Sadie (Joan Crawford) and then the explosive ending really had me scratching my head.  It didn't feel right at all.

Singin' in the Rain (1952) A fun story, vibrant cast and energetic production numbers. Jean Hagen is hilarious, O'Conner is amazing. It is worthy of it's reputation. If you haven't seen The Band Wagon I would recommend it. It has Astaire instead of Kelly and Charisse not only dances but is involved in the story. 

This one just didn't register as highly with me as everyone else.  I loved Jean Hagen.  I loved seeing Mrs. Cooper (Madge Blake) at the beginning.  I enjoyed Donald O'Connor.  But the two primaries, Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds, just didn't capture me.  I also didn't go for the story.  Now the songs are good and the iconic "Singin' in the Rain" number is masterful.  The final musical act was painful to me.

The Story of Temple Drake (1933)  I waited a long time for this movie to become available and when it did I placed it on the shelf and have still never got around to watching it. I will do that now.

It's pretty solid.  I think the film was hurt by my watching the 1961 telling of the story, Sanctuary.  That one has much stronger themes.

Take a Letter, Darling (1942) I have always enjoyed Rosalind Russell comedies. Sometimes I have trouble remembering which film is which though. This one has Fred MacMurray and there is tension over role reversal. I'm sure I liked it. :)

Yes, this is a role-reversal comedy.  I wasn't too crazy about it.  I thought I'd like it because I do enjoy Roz and Fred.

Till the Clouds Roll By (1946) A big long showcase for singing and dancing! I think you might have struggled with this one. There is a lot of talent in this but I have only seen it once and that was quite a while back.

You guess right.  It was a chore to watch this one.

The Time Machine (1960) Morlocks! A great science fiction film. I like time travel stories. This has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. The special effects are pretty good too.

Yes, I really like this.  I like the science fiction aspects of it but I also loved the heart.  I wasn't expecting to find that in such a film.

Hey, guys!   Thanks for the kind words, Grey Dude and MadHat.

!d675d7bb49b9430c6b431e9b717b2ca6.jpg

I'll be dropping by soon to throw in my two cents about some of the movies listed.

And some people slap!

I do not! I'm too sweet for such meanness remember?!

I don't think I was emotionally connected to All Quiet on the Western Front as much as I thought I would be.  But the ending is excellent.  I love that ending.

honestly, I thought it would be the other way around for you with this one. Of course you like the ending! It's tragic! I loved the butterfly, though. I thought it very emotional and profoundly beautiful the way they ended it, but I had to watch it a couple times to like it-I should say, to understand it.

While I don't cite myself as a big Niven fan, I often find myself liking him a great deal.  I think he's really good.  He's so darn pleasing.

I wish he did more main roles in his earlier days. He always played the character actor in the 30, but it does impress me that he changed from sidekick to the main attraction with many of his films, especially the later ones in his life. He always surprises me with something. I think that's why I like him so much. He isn't only charming and handsome, but has a lot of life to him. To me, that's how he steals the movie from the main actors at times. He has a natural humor too with his body mannerisms like William Powell. Maybe it's just me who sees that, but He makes me smile.

That makes me wonder why so many people don't like Four Men and a Prayer. He is so goofy and so darn cute! How can you help but go "AAWWWW" Heehee!

A Debbie Reynolds musical is cruel and unusual punishment!  But it could be way worse. :P

Yep, it could be Judy! I think you'd personally like Debbie's looks more than Judy.

It was rather funny to see Bette playing opposite the spoiled brat.  Ohhhh, how history would soon change.  Bogie was definitely baby-faced Bogie.  I don't know if his "Valentine" was to be Hispanic or Italian.

That's something I very much liked about The Bad Sister. You don't ever see Bette as the shy sweet girl. Almost no one in the universe could control her wild personality on screen. I thought it very refreshing. It kind of seemed to me that Bogie was trying to be more Italian. I didn't see the Hispanic side, but then I'm terrible at spotting things like that. It was the way he carried himself for me.

Yes, Kate was still in her shy, wholesome, repressed girl stage of her career.  And I also agree with you about the story being merely solid.  I did like the emotion from Kate, though.  That's where the value of the film is with me.

Kate always gives great emotion. I don't care what movie she was in. The story could lack, but Kate would carry the weaker ones through, at least for me...unless you bring up The Iron Petticoat. That's one I think she was miscast in, but that's a rare exception.

There was dancing? :P As usual, my focus was on the story more than anything.  I liked the sisterly story with the man in the middle.

Yes, I know, you ignore all the good stuff! Heehee! That's a cute story. You like all the love triangles.

I bet she likes being compared to Liz!

In the good ways!

That's because I'm empty!

Does that mean you can fall off the wall and not even the king's men can put you back together again?! HAHAHA! :D

The love angle is completely different.  I also thought the way the trouble-making girl was shown much better in These Three.

Yes, I'll say you're right on that account most definitely.  I can't believe I'm agreeing with you, but they did make it a little more interesting in These Three for the girl. She has some attitude! The one in Children's hour is more freaked out, I think.

What else do I know her from?

We're talking of Mari Aldon right? You have seen her in Summertime and The Barefoot Contessa silly.

I'm not sure what had me not embracing Fraulein, fully.  The setting, possibly.

NOOOOOOO! Poor Dana! I just love her character. She was so guarded. She's one of those people that is exquisite, but they don't know their own beauty. I love that. She had a special relationship with her daddy too. I liked that. They tried protecting each other. And her emotion just floors me every time. Especially when they find her lost beau and she see what has happened to him and how he treats her. You can just see the pain on her face.

She was the hunted fox who had a devilish innocence to her, if that's possible.

a devilish innocence? Someone's being delusional again! Heehee! Actually, I kind of know what you mean. She is an uncontrollable brat who is very naïve about life and many things, especially how men work around her.

yes, I always look at the pretty dresses.

Oh, come on, that was suppose to make you chuckle, silly goose! It's not like I really meant that....but I totally did. Heehee! Well she is gorgeous in her cute little dresses, I'm just saying!

Chandler had some tough scenes in the car with Elizabeth (Brooke Hayward).

That scene royally freaked me out! Oh my goshly, it was way too convincing. I don't like him one bit! The girls in that film weren't much better. They put themselves in horrible situations. I hate when I see that happening.

It's rare to find anyone liking Miriam!  I'm one of the few.

Really? You think so? There are quite a few people at the TCM fest that I met, who really liked Miriam. They like her sexiness. Mostly men said that. :D I'd just scrunch my nose politely. Heehee!

She'd make me traitorous!

Pfftt! Yeah, I'd like to see that. Poor Twickenham! She was totally the one who poisoned him! How'd you like the story of this one? Did you laugh a lot?

I need to check that out!

You'd like it, but I don't think you'll like the ending. You'd like her in it.

Roxie Hart is a prison flick.  Those hardly ever work with me.

Oh, that's right! Forgive me, I forgot about that. I'm picky with prison films as well. Some are hard to get through. But there are certain ones that I think hold their own greatness that is just too hard not to like. This is one.

Perfect!  So lovable!

Lovable?! Were you watching the same film I'm talking about? Did you like any part of it? Besides her?

Hey, I didn't tell you to watch that! I knew that would be painful for you! I don't like to inflict these things on you!...regardless of whether you think I'm a strangler or not.

You are a strangler!

GASP! You take that back!