Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

Oh, gad!! (to quote Clarence Day) *_You're not fighting fair_* again. I can't believe you got a "sappy"

movie like The Wedding Night (it even had "wedding" in the title---our lady of the long black gloves

will be sooooo delighted!!) I am afraid you will have your card in the ChiO-Nihilist-Society revoked

if you are not more careful.

WeddingNight01.jpg?t=1217370081

_The Frankster_ said: *And please do not tell me you like Citizen Kane. Didn't you read the "script"? Your line reads: "it's overrated." Now say it with disgust!*

My apologies. I was improvising. Unfortunately, I am, so I've been told by the Headmistress of the Nihilist Dating Agency, just too trendy (spanked me pretty good over there didn't she -- and keep your lurid comments to yourself). And who wrote that script? Some say Herman, you know, Joseph's brother. Pish-posh.

For your eyes only: We took a day trip from Sevilla to Ronda, the birthplace of bullfighting as we know it. It was a haven for Papa (not the so-called Pappy) and Orson (for the record, their birthplaces are Oak Park and Kenosha, Chicago suburbs). Behind the bullring is a lovely little park. The walkway through the park is...Calle de Orson Welles. Yes -- we have a photo of me paying my respects.

By the way, check out, if you haven't already, More Than the Night: Film Noir in Its Contexts (James Naremore, 2008 ed.).

Go Cubs! This is OUR century!

Oh, gad!! (to quote Clarence Day) You're not fighting fair again.

I always fight fair. It's you who goes around calling me names. I have never once called you a name, Champoo Floozy.

I can't believe you got a "sappy" movie like The Wedding Night

Yes, and what's worse, I have 22 sappy Pappies.

(it even had "wedding" in the title---our lady of the long black gloves will be sooooo delighted!!)

Who is the lady you speak of? I don't think she exists.

I am afraid you will have your card in the ChiO-Nihilist-Society revoked if you are not more careful.

Just the admittance of owning Ford films has cost me dearly. It's off to my lonely place.

For your eyes only: SAYS YOU.

We took a day trip from Sevilla to Ronda, the birthplace of bullfighting as we know it. It was a haven for Papa (not the so-called Pappy) and Orson (for the record, their birthplaces are Oak Park and Kenosha, Chicago suburbs). Behind the bullring is a lovely little park. The walkway through the park is...Calle de Orson Welles. Yes -- we have a photo of me paying my respects.

ChiO, really?? That's so exciting!! When I finally get to spain I am _determined_ to visit the places

"Papa" wrote about. I even confess to wanting to see a "running with the bulls". From a

safe distance. :)

I always fight fair. It's you who goes around calling me names. I have never once called you a name, Champoo Floozy.

I never call you names! To your face.

Yes, and what's worse, I have 22 sappy Pappies

:) You're still lacking several.

Just the admittance of owning Ford films has cost me dearly

WeddingNight02.jpg?t=1217372574

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

Hello and Goodbye, Manhattan Blizzard -- I always fight fair. It's you who goes around calling me names. I have never once called you a name, Champoo Floozy.

I never call you names! To your face.

In otherwords, you call me names all the time. And all I do is tell you how wonderful you are at every single turn, Snippy. :P

Yes, and what's worse, I have 22 sappy Pappies

You're still lacking several.

I think 22 is a good, round number to stop at.

Hola, ChiTOwen -- The Frankster said: And please do not tell me you like Citizen Kane. Didn't you read the "script"? Your line reads: "it's overrated." Now say it with disgust!

My apologies. I was improvising.

No, no, no, no! There is absolutely no room for such disgraceful behavior. Do you have no decency?

Unfortunately, I am, so I've been told by the Headmistress of the Nihilist Dating Agency, just too trendy

You are the trendy one. Timothy Carey is the rage! I cannot go anywhere without stumbling over Carey groupies. I wish you would be more of an individual. I suggest saying Gone with the Wind is your favorite film of all time and that Gary Cooper is your favorite actor. (I'm headed for serious trouble... but I've got ammo. ;) )

(spanked me pretty good over there didn't she -- and keep your lurid comments to yourself).

I saw that. Miss G has been very cruel of late. The summer heat just doesn't sit too well with a glacier, you know. :P:P

For your eyes only: We took a day trip from Sevilla to Ronda, the birthplace of bullfighting as we know it. It was a haven for Papa (not the so-called Pappy) and Orson (for the record, their birthplaces are Oak Park and Kenosha, Chicago suburbs). Behind the bullring is a lovely little park. The walkway through the park is...Calle de Orson Welles.

Awesome! Did you inform Papa that Orson is his daddy? :)

Yes -- we have a photo of me paying my respects.

You didn't drop your drawers again, did you?

By the way, check out, if you haven't already, More Than the Night: Film Noir in Its Contexts (James Naremore, 2008 ed.).

Me and books be a scary thing. Just ask Miss Scary Thing.

Go Cubs! This is OUR century!

I think you may be right. I'm actually pulling for yous. Oh, wait, that's probably a bad thing. You don't want Bucco germs touching you. I hope y'all lose every game! How's that?

You are the trendy one. Timothy Carey is the rage! I cannot go anywhere without stumbling over Carey groupies. I wish you would be more of an individual. I suggest saying Gone with the Wind is your favorite film of all time and that Gary Cooper is your favorite actor. (I'm headed for serious trouble... but I've got ammo

Wait till you two prize "rebels" get a load of the dates the Agency has lined up for you. They

are perfect for you, just what you _deserve_.

According to some Wise(and I don't mean Robert)acre, the dates we deserve, to quote a Manhattan composer and lyricist whose work was filmed by Herr Preminger, fall into the category of I Got Plenty O' Nuttin'.

I should have realized that you are a fan of the noted proto-feminist Ernest Hemingway. A couple blocks from Calle de Orson Welles, at the other end of the bullring, is Calle de Ernest Hemingway. The others in my party (aka MrsChiO & younger daughter) indulged my seeking out of Kenosha's favorite son's honorary street; those next two blocks were apparently too distant for Oak Park's. A literal To Have and Have Not, as it were.

How do you distinguish between an anarchist and a nihilist?

Message was edited by: ChiO

How do you distinguish between an anarchist and a nihilist?

According to Miss G's "dixonary" I am an "anarchist" if I break the rules on principle---I am

a nihilist if I think, "Eh, what's the difference?" ;)

"Protofeminist"?! Ewwwww! MY Hemingway loves the white wine of Southwestern France

and Spanish rojas. We could talk---about nothing serious. :P

According to Miss G's "dixonary" I am an "anarchist" if I break the rules on principle---I am

a nihilist if I think, "Eh, what's the difference?" ;)

Is this the same "dixonary" that principally states, you shall emerge smelling like a rose under all circumstances? :P

Hola, Trashy Dame -- That's pretty rich coming from you, dontcha think?

It bothers me so when a real professional like ChiO rebels against the System. He's better than that. If he does not publically denounce Citizen Kane today, tomorrow he may say that he actually likes Sam Fuller. This just cannot be. What's next, a Seattle girl saying she loves Touch of Evil? No, the world cannot chance such things. So, please, encourage ChiO to be a good little boy. Tell him to read his line and to do so with conviction.

Bonjour, Fordy Guns --

libertyvalance-1.jpg

What's next, a Seattle girl saying she loves Touch of Evil?

Well......

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Did you go see Dark Knight last night?

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Holy SPOILER, Batman!

I liked it, but I like Batman Begins more. My brother likes The Dark Knight more.

Heath Ledger was my favorite aspect of the film. He was sensational. I loved all of his mannerisms and voice inflections. I did not like most of the ending, especially the boat stuff. I also thought the end of the Joker and Two-Face to be anticlimactic.

*I liked it, but I like Batman Begins more. My brother likes The Dark Knight more.*

I liked Batman Begins, but I thought Dark Knight blew it out of the water. I just felt like it was more dynamic.

*I did not like most of the ending, especially the boat stuff.*

Boat stuff? You mean like when he went to Hong Kong? I can't remember any other boat stuff.

*I also thought the end of the Joker and Two-Face to be anticlimactic.*

*MAJOR SPOILAGE ALERT!!!!*

I didn't mind the ending. I mean, a certain part of you is waiting for him to drop the guy over the ledge, but you know he can't. That's part of the whole story-not letting himself become what he is fighting. I thought the great part was the Joker throwing it back at him. It's his constant struggle. I was surprised by what they did with Two-Face. In the comics, he becomes one of Batman's nemesis' (nemeses?). He doesn't have the same backstory (he was splashed with acid as he was prosecuting someone in court in the comic and it drove him to become a crazy villain). I though that his character would have been a good foe for the next movie. I'm assuming they're planning a third film.

In short, we'll agree to disagree as long as we both agree that I'm right. :)

Enough of this already. It is time to return to the serious nature and purpose of this thread as set forth in its title. So...

Dear Frank,

As you may recall, Jonathan Rosenbaum teaches a film class at the Art Institute, but the films he highlights are shown at public screenings at the Gene Siskel Film Center each Friday and Wednesday evening (Rosenbaum lectures and moderates a discussion at the Wednesday screening). The upcoming term (September 3/December 10) is The First Transition: World Cinema in the 1930s and the films (in order of screening) are:

*Scarface* (Hawks, 1932)

*I Was Born, But...* (Ozu, 1932)

*City Lights* (Chaplin 1931)

*M* (Lang, 1931)

*Vampyr* (Dreyer, 1932)

*Trouble in Paradise* (Lubitsch, 1932)

*Sylvia Scarlett* (Cukor, 1935)

*Make Way for Tomorrow* (McCarey, 1937)

*Zero for Conduct* (Vigo, 1933) and *Man's Castle* (Borzage, 1933)

*Hallelujah, I'm a Bum* (Milestone, 1933)

*The Man I Killed* (Lubitsch, 1932)

*The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums* (Mizoguchi, 1939)

*Only Angels Have Wings* (Hawks, 1939)

*The Rules of the Game* (Renoir, 1939)

Can you imagine? All of those films from the 1930s and not a one of them called Gone With the Wind? Rosenbaum is just so...what's the word?...trendy. In fairness, however, there is a movie with "Scarlett" in its title and two...count'em...two movies by Lubitsch.

Seeya at the movies.

*Citizen Kane* was a hack job and Fuller is just too subtle,

ChiO

*I did not like most of the ending, especially the boat stuff.*

I was just falling asleep when the synapses started clicking again and I remembered the boats you were referring to. I didn't have super strong feeling about it-I mean, mostly I thought it was a tad unrealistic because the truth is, someone would have pushed a button within seconds, it's just hard to say which boat would have done it first.

Hi _Hacky_ (ChiO)! :D I am pea green with envy (as the ONE AND ONLY "Scarlett" would say)

that you will get to see all those wonderful movies on the big screen. I'm afraid I am stuck

with a couple of duds at Lincoln Center next month by some sentimental Irish slob. Fiddle

dee dee.

Howdy, Annie Laurie Starr -- I liked Batman Begins, but I thought Dark Knight blew it out of the water. I just felt like it was more dynamic.

How so?

I also thought the end of the Joker and Two-Face to be anticlimactic.

MAJOR SPOILAGE ALERT!!!!

I didn't mind the ending. I mean, a certain part of you is waiting for him to drop the guy over the ledge, but you know he can't.

It's not that. It's just that the Joker was just hanging there and Two-Face was basically shoulder-blocked off a building. There wasn't much to their ends. Nolan could have done better. The film is very long as it is, so I guess he just pulled the plug right then and there.

That's part of the whole story-not letting himself become what he is fighting. I thought the great part was the Joker throwing it back at him. It's his constant struggle.

I liked that stuff. Ledger was great at it, too.

I was surprised by what they did with Two-Face. In the comics, he becomes one of Batman's nemesis' (nemeses?). He doesn't have the same backstory (he was splashed with acid as he was prosecuting someone in court in the comic and it drove him to become a crazy villain).

Nolan went for higher dramatics, and it works. We definitely understand Two-Face's anger and hate.

I though that his character would have been a good foe for the next movie. I'm assuming they're planning a third film.

I'm sure there will be a third, especially when you consider all the dough this one is raking in.

In short, we'll agree to disagree as long as we both agree that I'm right.

This sounds so very familiar.

I was just falling asleep when the synapses started clicking again and I remembered the boats you were referring to. I didn't have super strong feeling about it-I mean, mostly I thought it was a tad unrealistic because the truth is, someone would have pushed a button within seconds, it's just hard to say which boat would have done it first.

SPOILERMOBILE

Paraphrasing: "They've had their chance. They chose to do what they did." Horrible.

Bonjour, Prickly -- Mr Grimes, it's no good your pitching pea-green prickly pear cacti at me. I am a steel helmet against such machinations.

ChiO would be proud if you wore that steel helmet of yours to its screening. I have never seen.

Baa, Baa, Trendy Sheep -- Enough of this already. It is time to return to the serious nature and purpose of this thread as set forth in its title. So...

As you may recall, Jonathan Rosenbaum teaches a film class at the Art Institute, but the films he highlights are shown at public screenings at the Gene Siskel Film Center each Friday and Wednesday evening (Rosenbaum lectures and moderates a discussion at the Wednesday screening). The upcoming term (September 3/December 10) is The First Transition: World Cinema in the 1930s and the films (in order of screening) are:

Rosenbaum alone is worth every cent.

Scarface (Hawks, 1932)

I Was Born, But... (Ozu, 1932)

City Lights (Chaplin 1931)

M (Lang, 1931)

Vampyr (Dreyer, 1932)

Trouble in Paradise (Lubitsch, 1932)

Sylvia Scarlett (Cukor, 1935)

Make Way for Tomorrow (McCarey, 1937)

Zero for Conduct (Vigo, 1933) and Man's Castle (Borzage, 1933)

Hallelujah, I'm a Bum (Milestone, 1933)

The Man I Killed (Lubitsch, 1932)

The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums (Mizoguchi, 1939)

Only Angels Have Wings (Hawks, 1939)

The Rules of the Game (Renoir, 1939)

Wow! Now that truly is a tortorous line-up! Those are serious bangers. I'm really pleased to see Only Angels Have Wings in the mix. I'd love to hear Rosenbaum's thoughts on it. I'm actually unfamiliar with Lubitsch's The Man I Killed. I'm gonna have to check up on that one.

For the record, I have only seen three of the films being shown.

Can you imagine? All of those films from the 1930s and not a one of them called Gone With the Wind?

There must be an honest mistake. I'm sure Gone with the Wind will be screened twice. You should ask Rosenbaum what days it will be shown.

Rosenbaum is just so...what's the word?...trendy.

:D That's him all right. I cannot go anywhere on this board without someone dropping his name on me. Everyone around here believes as he. This kind of trendiness must stop!

In fairness, however, there is a movie with "Scarlett" in its title and two...count'em...two movies by Lubitsch.

I'll probably turn Lubitschian later this year. How about two Hawks films? That surprised me. I'm just glad Rosenbaum selected three Ford and three Coop flicks. :P

Seeya at the movies.

Naaaaaaaah, too trendy for me.

Citizen Kane was a hack job and Fuller is just too subtle,

Tomorrow has arrived. You shall never go hungry again, my friend.