Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

*How so?*

I thought that Batman Begins did a tremendous job of setting up Bruce Wayne and giving us insight into his mindset. Dark Knight takes that and just runs with it-the story just explodes. At the end of the movie I realized how tense I'd been through so much of it.

*It's not that. It's just that the Joker was just hanging there and Two-Face was basically shoulder-blocked off a building. There wasn't much to their ends. Nolan could have done better. The film is very long as it is, so I guess he just pulled the plug right then and there.*

After I thought about it a bit more, I could totally see where you were coming from with this. For me the Joker end still had enough dramatic tension, but you're right-Two-face's demise came awfully suddenly after all the buildup.

*Nolan went for higher dramatics, and it works. We definitely understand Two-Face's anger and hate.*

Very true. To have continued may have run the risk of making it too cartooney (ala Tommy Lee Jones in Batman Forever, although don't get me wrong, I kind of liked that version too.)

*Paraphrasing: "They've had their chance. They chose to do what they did." Horrible.*

Yes. It takes very little for a so called civilized society to turn barbaric.

Ice cream is best after spicy foods like Indian and Mexican. How come you didn't know that?

This will be a short post, as I just ordered my dinner: crispy Peking shrimp, vegetable rolls, steamed pork dumplings. Extra fortune cookies.

Also, I'm depressed as hell because not only did I miss ATLANTIS, THE LOST CONTINENT today, but I didn't even know it was on because I haven't been looking at the schedule. I know, shame on me. I've been busy with life's effluvia, and I hate missing out on what's REALLY important, like these boards.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Good evening, Little Mermaid! -- I haven't spoken to you forever. How have you been?

Congrats on 8000 posts! You are always such marvelous fun. I greatly enjoy how you can write seriously about a film or topic all the while integrating your wonderfully unique sense of humor. I Love That Bronxgirl!

Ice cream is best after spicy foods like Indian and Mexican. How come you didn't know that?

Because I don't eat spicy food like Indian or Mexican.

This will be a short post, as I just ordered my dinner: crispy Peking shrimp, vegetable rolls, steamed pork dumplings. Extra fortune cookies.

Of that mix, I'd try the steamed pork dumpling... unless they are slathered in something. If they are, I'm ordering a pizza.

Also, I'm depressed as hell because not only did I miss ATLANTIS, THE LOST CONTINENT today, but I didn't even know it was on because I haven' been looking at the schedule.

Now this is the Bronxie I have missed! Well, minus the depressed part.

I know, shame on me. I've been busy with life's effluvia, and I hae missing out on what's REALLY important, like these boards.

:D You were missed.

Good evening, Vicki Vale! --

UTILITY BELT SPOILAGE GAS

I thought that Batman Begins did a tremendous job of setting up Bruce Wayne and giving us insight into his mindset.

That's what I loved. I really enjoyed the pacing and the development of character.

Dark Knight takes that and just runs with it-the story just explodes. At the end of the movie I realized how tense I'd been through so much of it.

You are right about the tension. The Dark Knight is easily more tense of a ride. I believe the final half hour or so of the film is what drags it down for me. If it would have finished on a higher note, I would have liked it more than Batman Begins. Ledger's performance may ultimately push it ahead of Batman Begins, in time.

It's not that. It's just that the Joker was just hanging there and Two-Face was basically shoulder-blocked off a building. There wasn't much to their ends. Nolan could have done better. The film is very long as it is, so I guess he just pulled the plug right then and there.

After I thought about it a bit more, I could totally see where you were coming from with this. For me the Joker end still had enough dramatic tension, but you're right-Two-face's demise came awfully suddenly after all the buildup.

I was far more into Joker than Two-Face, so Joker's demise was really anticlimactic to me. Two-Face's demise was too simplistic.

Paraphrasing: "They've had their chance. They chose to do what they did." Horrible.

Yes. It takes very little for a so called civilized society to turn barbaric.

Actually, what I meant by "horrible" was that I thought those lines were that. The entire "the criminals had their chance and we deserve to live" lines by the guy with the detonator was way over the top and silly. That entire scene just bothers me.

*Actually, what I meant by "horrible" was that I thought those lines were that. The entire "the criminals had their chance and we deserve to live" lines by the guy with the detonator was way over the top and silly. That entire scene just bothers me.*

Ahhh. Unfortunately, I think that's how a scene like that would play out in real life-only it would have happened in a matter of seconds and then they would have pushed the button. I thought the noble prisoner on the criminal ship was more over the top- I sincerely doubt anyone on a boat of hardened criminals would have thought twice about saving their own skin.

But this is all far too grim. I think I'm going to buy a blue dress next. I don't have anywhere to wear it right now, but it's awfully nice. It's almost..demure looking. :)

*Ice cream is best after spicy foods like Indian and Mexican. How come you didn't know that?*

I agree completely. Cleanses the palette in a delightful way. Yum. Need mexican food and ice cream now.

*steamed pork dumplings*

Now I'm really hungry. Seattle used to have a bunch of great places to have dim sun, but most of them have gone. I love humbow.

I hear Seattle is a great town for foodies.

I adore Chinese pastries. When I lived in Chicago near Argyle Street,

I used to go to this great bakery. I love the red bean cakes. With a cup of tea, it makes such a tasty snack.

Have you been watching Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel?

(and Anthony Bourdain) She's in China and samples frog dumplings.

(I don't think I'd go that far, however)

Hello, my crablet. Well, if I had less humor and more seriousness, I'd be a better critiquer of film. As it is, I just can't restrain myself sometimes.

Or should I say, all the time.

Because, life is so short.

And so is Mickey Rooney.

But I digress.

I'm not sure how you'd take to steamed pork dumplings. They are served "as is", but with a dipping sauce on the side. You might prefer them fried to start out with.

In China, they serve the beating hearts of snakes as a delicacy.

Did my premonition for you involving a bicycle on your street come to pass? Did you remember the girl with the green sweater?

Do you identify with the patients or the doctor in THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI? Would you feel comfortable in a padded cell?

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

I think ice cream is good anytime after you get up in the morning. One should not let a meal get in the way of having ice cream. It is even acceptable to have it after having had a snack. Always, always have dessert first as you never know what will happen.

If you can't have ice cream I would suggest M&Ms.

If you can't have ice cream I would suggest M&Ms

I'm just butting in here because I like the way you think...also...keep in mind--if no M&M's are available---keep a package of JR Mints in the fridge. Two or three of those little gems popped in my mouth--ice cold---and I am a happy woman. (In fact--I can't even eat them at the movies or anywhere else anymore. I only want them after they've been in the fridge--something about cold chocolate and the cool/hot combo of the mint. My husband won't touch them...he hates anything minty and to that I can only say....good! More for me! :-)

*I hear Seattle is a great town for foodies.*

It is. It makes me wish my tastes were more sophisticated! :) The good thing is that there's no shortage of places to experiment.

*Have you been watching Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel?*

I haven't watched her newest series yet, but I like watching Passport To Europe.

*I think ice cream is good anytime after you get up in the morning. One should not let a meal get in the way of having ice cream. It is even acceptable to have it after having had a snack. Always, always have dessert first as you never know what will happen.*

*If you can't have ice cream I would suggest M&Ms.*

I agree 100% with everything you just said.

I'd love to try hangtown fry, that breakfast specialty of the Northwest.

Anything with oysters sounds good to me.

My poor crab boy in his padded cell....I could cry....although he probably is quite comfy.

A wintery cold Hitch "good evening" to you, Bronx Blossom -- Hello, my crablet. Well, if I had less humor and more seriousness, I'd be a better critiquer of film. As it is, I just can't restrain myself sometimes. Or shoud I say, all the time.

If it's there for the takin', you grab. It's a good policy.

Because, life is so short. And so is Mickey Rooney.

:D But his life ain't short. Did I just curse him?

But I digress.

Digress or undress? Are you going to smack me?

I'm not sure how you'd take to steamed pork dumplings. They are served "as is", but with a dipping sauce on the side. You might prefer them fried to start out with.

I like pork roast but not pork chops. I have no clue what a pork dumpling would taste like.

In China, they serve the beating hearts of snakes as a delicacy.

I shall continue my avoidance of Chinese restaurants.

Did my premonition for you involving a bicycle on your street come to pass?

No, thankfully. And don't you dare leave that parchment behind.

Did you remember the girl with the green sweater?

No, but maybe her time machine has been delayed. I know of a girl whose favorite color is green. She also likes to strangle guys with long black gloves. Maybe she'll use a green sweater or maybe a gardenia skirt next time.

Do you identify with the patients or the doctor in THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI?

Always the patients.

Would you feel comfortable in a padded cell?

And how! I've been told I prefer lonely places anyways. Speaking of, I'm going to get in big trouble if I don't write about In a Lonely Place soon.

My poor crab boy in his padded cell....I could cry....although he probably is quite comfy.

At least you take pity. Minya merely mocks. I'm starting to feel Butterscotchy. Blech!

Don't you think blue becomes Andy?

I'm never completely undressed, because I'm always wearing my portable fans around my body. Keeps everything circulating in this heat.

No wonder I'm single.

A pork dumpling would probably taste like chicken, because everything does. But seriously....it would taste like minced.....pork. You know, the other white meat.

Would you ever consider going out to a Chinese-American restaurant like the Parker family in A CHRISTMAS STORY? Especially if the

Bumpus hounds demolished your Thanksgiving turkey?

Don't worry, nothing really serious will happen to you involving the bicycle. The worst that may occur is you'll be flat as a pancake like a cartoon character, on the sidewalk, then you'll miraculously spring to

life again. Or what passes for your life.

By the way, did I happen to tell you that my family name is Karswell?

I've been known to host children's parties dressed as a clown.

This woman in green will unlock a lot of doors for you. Then she'll push you in.

After my Chinese dinner a few nights ago, I had one of my weird dreams:

Eva Gabor was telling me to get involved with a disgusting looking dirty man who was nevertheless sexy, even though he was hairy, smelly, and passed gas. This man was lounging in a garden and he

vaguely resembled Robin Hughes, who played Satan in "The Howling Man" episode of The Twilight Zone.

If you or anyone else want to analyze it, you'll save me hundreds of dollars on the couch.....

*For me it's gelato, Italian gelato, any time anywhere.*

Absolutely (as eyes glaze over in a reverie, imagining slowly eating pistachio gelato at Siena's Piazza del Campo while watching a classic of Italian cinema...say, Once Upon a Time in the West).

Now, back to the Breyer's.