Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

*Bonjour, again, Miss Jackie-in-the-Box (pops in, pops out!). Did you see my pictures of*

*young Duke Wayne in the Western Gallery?*

oh my goodness! no i havent seen them yet. the internet i have at home is so slow that i dont go in many threads, but im at grandma's house with faster internet now, so ill go look.....

*If not...I could always post them here...for TORTURE to someone...*

....or you could always post them here! heehe!

i saw that you liked my greer pics as torture to a certain someone! heehee! shall we have a tea party? we'll have to invite the Duke, since youll be posting him anyway. ;)

i saw that you liked my greer pics as torture to a certain someone! heehee! shall we have a tea party? we'll have to invite the Duke, since youll be posting him anyway.

Do you think he'll fit in the room? ;)

bigtrail4.jpg

Theresa, I don't think you saw this one yet---I posted back in the Ford thread a week or two ago.

It's a *tea party* on the set of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (the two with their backs to us

are John Ford and his assistant, Meta Sterne).

TeaTimeinShinbone.jpg

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Jeez, that John Wayne picture is.... SEXY! Oh my gosh, did I say that? Now I know why he became a star.....sheesh, he was too good looking......what was he about 12 years old?

>

> Message was edited by: JackFavell

Ha! :D He was actually in his early twenties there, it's a publicity photo taken for

Raoul Walsh's 1930 epic, *The Big Trail*.

*Theresa, I don't think you saw this one yet---I posted back in the Ford thread a week or two ago.*

*It's a tea party on the set of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (the two with their backs to us*

*are John Ford and his assistant, Meta Sterne).*

no i didnt! jimmy looks so cute!

i cant believe they had a tea party! how cute! im so jealous! okay we'll just have to invite all of them to our tea party. oh and dont forget to kidnap frankie and make him our butler again.....

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> That's the movie that I said to myself, Aaaah, that's why he got famous..... ;)

I know! It's really his first "star making" role and yet he ended up going back to

slogging away at B-westerns for another nine years, until Ford put him in *Stagecoach*. I

can't figure out why, except that maybe big westerns just went "stale" for a little while?

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE PICK FRANK GRIMES' FIRST SOPHIA LOREN MOVIE TO VIEW???

MINYA: "If you woke up one morning next to Anna Magnani, would you consider yourself lucky? Or would you be hoping it was Sophia Loren?"

THE TORTURED FRANK GRIMES: "Claudia Cardinale! I haven't seen a single Anna or Sophia film. I really don't know Anna at all. I have not been lying about my newness to classic film."

ME: I can't take it. I can't stands no more!!! It is the measure of a man who he wakes up in bed with becuz it'd be the girl he picks the night before (unless she has picked him). Perhaps the woman a man picks to go to bed with, depends on what kind of man he thinks he is in bed. Now I could see you not picking Anna Magnani becuz she looked like she'd be a real maneater. You'd have the time of your life...if you survived. Break out the Viagara.

Claudia Cardinale??? Well there's a soft little kitten. No challenge at all. Doesn't speak well of you Frankie G. You're a smart guy...a knowledgeable guy...I think a romantic guy. You don't want a girl...you want a woman. (That'd be like picking cotton candy Bardot instead of a woman like Jeanne Moreau).

This should lead to you SOPHIA LOREN. But I see you need help. And I'm here to help you. I'm putting an APB out there to all of those who have read FrankGrimes over the year, to suggest a Sophia Loren movie for him to watch. He needs to make an informed decision as to picking Sophia. Now really you don't need to see her films to pick her. Just look at any photo of her. If I would recommend a motion picture I would start you with "ARABESQUE." She's kind of funny and her beauty won't intimidate you.

You have never seen a Sophia film? Frank. Frank...

200px-AnnaMagnani.jpgMV5BMTQ2NTQ1MjkzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzY5NjgxMQ@@._V1._SX96_SY140_.jpg220px-Five_Miles_to_Midnight_1962.JPG

Message was edited by: CineMaven Pictures might be deleted. :-(

These are my favorite Sophia films are *It Started in Naples* (I love her character, she's so lazy

and conniving yet adorable!) and *Houseboat* ("I spit on charming!"). I think she was a

very funny commedienne. I like her Italian films with Marcello, too, of course. Of her dramas

I like *The Key*, with William Holden. It's very depressing, though. I like *Arabesque*, too, but

not as much as the others. I'm not that keen on Gregory Peck's performance for some reason.

Some more "relief," in addition to CineMaven's, from the "torture" for Frank (see, I can play nice):

Sophia-young2.jpg

great list of sophia films april!!

my list of hers comes pretty close to yours.

1) Arabesque (i absolutely love the chemistry with gregory peck and her, they make such a cute and funny couple. even though he gets so confused by her character so many times. heehee)

2) Houseboat ( her character is so carefree and makes cary let loose a little bit. she did such a great job with that role and i loved her dresses. heehee!)

3) Lady L ( dont ask me why i love this movie so much, b/c i couldnt begin to explain it. heehee! grandmama got me hooked on this one)

now i recently saw Two Women, and i was holding out on this movie, b/c i didnt want to see sophia get raped and it just looked like such a depressing movie, but when i saw it, i couldnt believe how well her acting was in it. oh my goodness, hjust how she reacted to the whole situation was beyond me. that scene in the car where she starts to cry started to make me cry!! it was so sad. now i wouldnt add this to my main sophia likable list, but i have to admit that she certainly did an amazing job with it.

I haven't seen The Lady L from start-to-finish in ages, but I do remember she looked sensational.

*Two Women* - yet another one you've seen that I haven't! I wouldn't be surprised if this is the

one Frank would like the best. :P

*I haven't seen The Lady L from start-to-finish in ages, but I do remember she looked sensational*

she always looked sensational in her movies. i remember seeing her carrying the American Flag into either the opening or the closing ceremonies of the Olympics one year. i forget which year it was, but when she walkd in with all those other famous people carrying it, i thought, "hey, i know her! wow! she has aged amazingly well!" its true, she is still beautiful. Lady L, is a very interesting movie of hers. i didnt like it all too much the first time i saw it at grandmama's house, but as i watched it more, i started liking it more and more and pretty soon it became one of my favs of hers.

*Two Women - yet another one you've seen that I haven't! I wouldn't be surprised if this is the*

*one Frank would like the best.*

heehee! it probably is his favorite of hers. but it isnt a fun movie to watch. if you watch it, expect to cry or at least be very sad. i would just say she looks gorgeous in it and the acting is phenomenal. i would have to agree on her winning the Oscar for it now that i have actually seen it. heehee!

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

*Golly moses, T! That makes three movies you've seen with Sophia that I haven't. Two Women,*

*Desire Under the Elms and El Cid. El Cid is in my netflix "queue", though.*

goodness! youre still the expert! heehee! knowing you, i think you will like both Desire Under the Elms and El Cid. they are both great movies made beautifully. will you let me know what you think once you have seen El Cid? im so anxious!

heehee! it probably is his favorite of hers. but it isnt a fun movie to watch. if you watch it, expect to cry or at least be very sad. i would just say she looks gorgeous in it and the acting is phenomenal. i would have to agree on her winning the Oscar for it now that i have actually seen it. heehee!

I just know I'll have to be prepared before I watch it. I've heard for years how affecting her

performance is and I fully believe I'll be balling all over the place.

Oh! I totally forgot to mention one of my favorites! It's called (in the U.S.) *More than a Miracle*

and stars her charmingly with Omar Sharif. It's a twist on the Cinderella tale and it's so

sweet and imaginative and whimsical. TCM sometimes airs it, I wish I had it recorded.

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> goodness! youre still the expert! heehee! knowing you, i think you will like both Desire Under the Elms and El Cid. they are both great movies made beautifully. will you let me know what you think once you have seen El Cid? im so anxious!

I certainly will, I'm very anxious to see it after hearing so much about it. I know I'll be impressed,

I do like the stars and the director, Anthony Mann.

*I just love both of the pictures you posted, T!*

i know, those two are some of my favorites of her....they show her more "sweet" side. i like that in her personality more so than her "naughty girl" side. but thats just me. heehee!

*Have you ever seen her in The Millionairess?*

well i have seen that one to an exctent. i havent seen that one all the way through. i have seen about 75% of the movie but when i was watching it, i had to stop it to go to a friend's house and never got to finish it, and completely forgot about it until just now. i feel terrible about that. unfortunately i dont have my own copy of it, so i cant put it in my trusty little DVD player and watch the rest of it. im gonna have to wait until it comes on TCM again.

Two Women has great acting, but I'm thinking something a little simpler- Boy on a Dolphin seems right to me. Heller in Pink Tights is weird, but I remember liking it. My favorite right now is C'era una Volta, but this is definitely NOT a Frank movie.... Yes, Boy on a Dolphin.