Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

Hello ChiO...How's it going? "If you see any fast cool kids, please point them out for me. I wanna know what they look like."

We won't see 'em. We'll read how smart, bright and literate they are; very few hee hee's, tee hee's, LOL's will be included in their analyses and they'll recognize the glory of Garbo AND Lamarr. Cooper & Grahame will be high on their list.

Sooooooo, where do I sign up and who'll start the ball rolling?

Sooooooo, where do I sign up and who'll start the ball rolling?>>

CM,

I'm thinking classes should begin in June?

There will be another TCM Challenge in May (and my mom has to have surgery) so June is looking good for me.

Also, which of the topics should we start with?

Ingmar Bergman: Scenes from a Marriage and Beyond

Watch the Skies!: Science Fiction, 1950's and Us

Ford at Fox: The Emergence of a Hollywood Master

Silent Shadows: The Films of F.W. Murnau

I'm thinking the Filmmakers forum is probably the best place to hold class.

Am open to other ideas and starting times.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

*We won't see 'em. We'll read how smart, bright and literate they are; very few hee hee's, tee hee's, LOL's will be included in their analyses and they'll recognize the glory of Garbo AND Lamarr. Cooper & Grahame will be high on their list.*

So does my knowledge of all things Coop make me one of the fast cool kids? Hey, why are y'all laughing? (adjusts pocket protector and pushes glasses back up on her nose ;) ).

Seriously, my chemistry teacher in high school called me and my group of friends "bad influences". Granted, my best friend and I did cheat to pass that class, but he had no proof :P. Other than that one class, I was a model student :).

*Miss G* : Me and you will sit behind Frank so we can shoot spitballs at him. We?ll also continue the taunting of how bad his Pirates are doing. It?s a shame they can?t be having as good a season as my Astros :P.

So does my knowledge of all things Coop make me one of the fast cool kids?

Ohh, sure it does. The make-up class is down the hall and to the left.

Seriously, my chemistry teacher in high school called me and my group of friends "bad influences".

A-ha! Proof positive! I hope Sweet T is reading this.

Granted, my best friend and I did cheat to pass that class, but he had no proof :P . Other than that one class, I was a model student :) .

There's no way I'd be in the same classroom as you. Let's just say, I've heard stories. :P

Me and you will sit behind Frank so we can shoot spitballs at him. We?ll also continue the taunting of how bad his Pirates are doing. It?s a shame they can?t be having as good a season as my Astros :P .

At least you don't give up double-digit runs in every damn game. And we're supposed to have pitching! But I'd still rather watch the Bucs get shellacked every game than watch one single Gary Cooper film. Now that's real torture. :P

I see that somebody is sleeping in class again...

highnoon10.jpg

And who the heck is responsible for this vandalism?

morocco9.jpg

I changed my mind, I wanna sit behind the sleepy cowboy!!!! It would be much more fun to blow kisses at him than throw spitballs at you :P.

*There's no way I'd be in the same classroom as you. Let's just say, I've heard stories.*

Hey now, I only cheated in that one class and I had a lot going on that year. I had dance lessons, was in band, the flag corps, annual staff, key club and I was taking Algebra II (by far my worst subject). There was no time to study chemistry. My teacher was also insane and he would tell you something once and never go back over it. Heck, I didn?t even cheat very well as I just barely passed :).

*At least you don't give up double-digit runs in every damn game. And we're supposed to have pitching!*

I?ve got an idea let?s play ?whose team has the higher closer?s ERA? ! Ours is 10.80. It was 12 something but he had one scoreless inning yesterday so it dropped a little. Valverde has yet to have a 1-2-3 inning and in 8 IP?s, has given up 4 homers. It?s a good thing I dye my hair, b/c it?s probably turned white. People are starting to call him the ?Latino Lidge?. I can?t go through another season of a crappy, unreliable closer :(

*But I'd still rather watch the Bucs get shellacked every game than watch one single Gary Cooper film. Now that's real torture.*

You better pay attention in class then b/c I heard punishment for cheating is you have to watch one of Gary?s early films where he?s wearing makeup. Let?s just say, I will have to bone up on my cheating skills ;) !

*But I'd still rather watch the Bucs get shellacked every game than watch one single Gary Cooper film.*

I knew it! You _are_ a Cubs fan!

I think your first extra-credit assignment (not that I mean to imply you'll need extra-credit) should be: *Why THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES is my favorite baseball movie and how Gary Cooper played first base better than Willie Stargell.*

Howdy, Coopsy's Clarita -- I changed my mind, I wanna sit behind the sleepy cowboy!!!! It would be much more fun to blow kisses at him than throw spitballs at you :P .

Where are my kisses?

There's no way I'd be in the same classroom as you. Let's just say, I've heard stories.

Hey now, I only cheated in that one class and I had a lot going on that year. I had dance lessons, was in band, the flag corps, annual staff, key club and I was taking Algebra II (by far my worst subject). There was no time to study chemistry. My teacher was also insane and he would tell you something once and never go back over it. Heck, I didn?t even cheat very well as I just barely passed :( .

Those aren't the classroom stories I've heard. :P

At least you don't give up double-digit runs in every damn game. And we're supposed to have pitching!

I?ve got an idea let?s play ?whose team has the higher closer?s ERA? ! Ours is 10.80. It was 12 something but he had one scoreless inning yesterday so it dropped a little. Valverde has yet to have a 1-2-3 inning and in 8 IP?s, has given up 4 homers. It?s a good thing I dye my hair, b/c it?s probably turned white. People are starting to call him the ?Latino Lidge?. I can?t go through another season of a crappy, unreliable closer. :(

The closer is an imaginary position in Pittsburgh. Sadly, so was starter this weekend, too.

But I'd still rather watch the Bucs get shellacked every game than watch one single Gary Cooper film. Now that's real torture.

You better pay attention in class then b/c I heard punishment for cheating is you have to watch one of Gary?s early films where he?s wearing makeup. Let?s just say, I will have to bone up on my cheating skills !

I think Coop may be the biggest cheater in the class. :P :p

What's the SCORE, ChicagOwen? -- Leon "Bull" Durham just doubled in Bob Dernier and Ryno, it's 17-6 now.

But I'd still rather watch the Bucs get shellacked every game than watch one single Gary Cooper film.

I knew it! You are a Cubs fan!

Anything to get out of a Coop film.

I think your first extra-credit assignment (not that I mean to imply you'll need extra-credit) should be: Why THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES is my favorite baseball movie and how Gary Cooper played first base better than Willie Stargell.

Trust me, I'll need extra-extra credit. A Coop film about the Yankees... can it get any worse? Maybe a Coop film about the Cubs? :P

This one's for Pops...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw6F3Sf-PGw

*Where are my kisses?*

You're joking right? If Gary's anywhere around, he gets them all!! :x If you carry my books and take notes for me, I might throw you a couple pity kisses :P.

*Those aren't the classroom stories I've heard.*

Hey, you're supposed to keep that to yourself ;).

*I think Coop may be the biggest cheater in the class.*

Oooh, that one stung :(.

*A Coop film about the Yankees... can it get any worse? Maybe a Coop film about the Cubs?*

*Pride of the Flubs*, just doesn't have the same ring to it ;).

If you carry my books and take notes for me, I might throw you a couple pity kisses :P .

You don't know how many times I've heard those words.

Those aren't the classroom stories I've heard.

Hey, you're supposed to keep that to yourself ;) .

Just don't get any ideas.

Pride of the Flubs, just doesn't have the same ring to it ;) .

Ring? Do you and ChiO even know what that is? :P

*You don't know how many times I've heard those words.*

I know that's true Frankie-poo :P .

*Ring? Do you and ChiO even know what that is?*

Here's a pic of the replica NL championship ring they gave away in '06. I have one of course :). Now, it's not a World Series ring, but it's close ;).

ph_ring_250x200.jpg

Theresa,

no problem hun.....latley well i put it in my pm dont really want to announce it here.....anyhoot im sending u off those pics of my David!!! heehee.....ooh lala...lol..

i will talk to ya soon then sweetie!

AvaG ;-)

_lzcutter_ -- All seriousness aside and back to the real subject: Education, but definitely no class.

Some thoughts on one possible approach:

(1) _You_ start at time of your choosing.

(2) Two or three weeks in advance of the "start," (a) post the director or theme (no actors as topics, unless, of course, it's Timothy Carey), and (B) 3-5 suggested films that are reasonably readily available by the director or within the theme.

(3) At the designated "start", post 2 or 3 discussion starters and let the students in the front of the classroom post away (while a couple of the girls in back are passing notes about "do you think Gary C. likes me, or does he really really likes me?").

(4) After a couple weeks, _you_ choose one of the participants to moderate the next class (either as a reward or punishment), and it starts all over again.

We'll know it's time to quit when the chosen topic is The Function of Mise-en-Scene in the Transgressive Feminist Cinema of Doris Wishman.

hey ChiO!!!

while a couple of the girls in back are passing notes about "do you think Gary C. likes me, or does he really really likes me?"

you better watch it, or all of us cooper girls are gonna trap you in a corner with mr, grimes.....on second thought passing notes sounds fun! i wonder....does gary really like me?! heehee!

ChiO...you're subject line has me cracking up! So YOU'RE the clever boy I will be cheating off of. Good to know.

Please make it obvious if the class does indeed proceed in June. I usually sleep in the back of the classroom.

Hi, ButterscotchGLORIA -- oh lookie lookie what i found....to "torture" frankie! heehee!

It's hard to top Double G's gorgeous brand of torture. Thank you!

Hey, ChiO -- The second there is any kind of structure or guidelines put in place with just about anything, I'm out the door. I'm too much of a wanderer. A very unreliable one, at that.

vertigo18.jpg

Here you go, ChiO. F.W. Murnau's Phantom.

phantom1.jpg

phantom2.jpg

phantom3.jpg

phantom4.jpg

phantom5.jpg

phantom6.jpg

phantom7.jpg

phantom8.jpg

phantom9.jpg

phantom11.jpg

phantom12.jpg

phantom13.jpg

phantom14.jpg

phantom15.jpg

phantom16.jpg

phantom17.jpg

Please make it obvious if the class does indeed proceed in June.>>

Cinemaven,

No problem. I'm really like ChiO's ideas.

The "classes" will be held in the Filmmakers Forum in specially created threads so as not to hijack other existing threads.

I'm thinking June will be the kick-off and I'll start with Ford and then from there, following ChiO's ideas, at the end of the Ford discussion, pass the gauntlet to the next person to carry on with the new subject.

Butterscotch,

I'll try to keep it exciting, I promise!

Message was edited by: lzcutter