Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

*I don't know if I'm in charge but since I'm heading the first class, I would like to welcome you to join us in June.*

Thanks Iz!

*Everyone seems to feel that way about Bergman, I know I once I did. Then I saw Fanny and Alexander and I finally understood.*

It's been quite a long while since I've seen *Fanny and Alexander.* I remember it being a powerful film. I watched his films so long ago I need to revisit them to have an informed opinion. I'm open to doing that. I've been through a lot of life since I saw it last.

*I'm not beating him down. I called him well-read and complimented him but he refuses to comment about that instead calling me snippy and tells me to go to the devil.*

*BTW, Frankie, I'm still hurt.*

Don't be. I think that's just his way of flirtin' :)

Hey, Lynn, dear -- Oh now, Frankie, you know that after Kyle you are my favorite and I'm not being snippy.

Second favorite to Kyle? Can I get any lower? :P >>

Oh Frankie, don't be that way. You know that Lee Marvin is my main man so you both are in good company.

I try very hard not to be snippy with you because, unlike the other dames in your life, I actually like your opinions and think you are a well-read guy.

Well, I must confess, you do treat me with great respect unlike some of the "ladies" around here. And my "snippy" reference was not in reference to you. No, MISS Snippy knows who the "snippy" comment was intended for. >>

I apologize for getting confused. You have so many women hanging around you I almost feel like I need a score card to keep their nicknames straight.

But, if you doubt my sincerity, I guess I'll always be second best with you. A girl can live with that considering the competition around here.

You wouldn't want to be first best, trust me. >>

No, you're probably right. If you can play second fiddle to Lee and Kyle, I can play second fiddle too.

Did you watch Harvey this morning?

No, but I do have the DVD. >>

Well, one of these days you must watch. It's quite enjoyable and even a tad thought provoking. Besides you'll like Jimmy Stewart's niece, Veda.

I'm not beating him down. I called him well-read and complimented him but he refuses to comment about that instead calling me snippy and tells me to go to the devil.

Doesn't my time spent on your "The Searchers" thread count for anything? There are some gals on this board who'd like for me to do the same just so they can run me out of town on a rail. >>

That won't happen. We won't let them. Those of us who appreciate your erudite sense of humor and your thoughtful way of looking at movies need you around here. There are days around here that can be as arid as Monument Valley (and by the way, Kyle -despite what he says- liked the Monument Valley ghost thread. ) and your movie thoughts are well appreciated.

Have I said enough to get back in your good graces?

Hey Frank,

*FrankGrimes wrote:*

*I have some advice for you: don't be kind, gentle, and loving to the girls on this thread. That's all I have been to them and they have chosen to pay me back with such care by hurting me so.*

I've read their comments. You don't deserve it Frank but it's like the girls I knew in school. They wouldn't spend so much time and creativity abusing you if they didn't care so much about you. That's what I convinced myself at least.

*"Ford, yes"? You just earned a lot of brownie points. You can have my Ford brownies. The Fordian ladies who baked them forgot to add taste. Enjoy.*

I like a good Ford western every now and then.

Iz, I love *The Searchers* I've got *The Hurricane* and *How Green Was My Valley* but I haven't watched them yet.

*You need to bump the Double G thread and I need to watch a Double G film.*

I will at some point. I'm still waiting for CineMaven to post her comments that she promised a while back.

Izcutter,

BTW, I love *Harvey* but Jimmy Stewart's niece is Myrtle Mae. His sister is Veta and played by Josephine Hull. I'm sure you knew that. She is hilarious in that film. It's one of my all time favorites for a number of reasons.

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

>

> Iz, I love *The Searchers* I've got *The Hurricane* and *How Green Was My Valley* but I haven't

> BTW, I love *Harvey* but Jimmy Stewart's niece is Myrtle Mae. His sister is Veta and played by Josephine Hull. I'm sure you knew that. She is hilarious in that film. It's one of my all time favorites for a number of reasons.>>

Please share. Frankie will love the attention being off him for a moment. Thanks to for setting me straight. Of course, its Myrtle Mae who is the niece and Veda the sister. Josephine Hull won an Oscar for her performance didn't she? And possibly a Tony?

Message was edited by: lzcutter

Iz, I love The Searchers I've got The Hurricane and How Green Was My Valley but I haven't watched them yet.>>

Then you should check out our Searchers Speculation Thread in the Westerns Forum.

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=125066&start=100&tstart=0

I don't think that Ford could have made that film had he not been in WWII. It is such a dark film filled with even darker themes but as always holds out the hope of redemption but even in redemption there is not the happy ending for Ethan.

When people tell me that Wayne shouldn't have won an Oscar I tell them to watch *Liberty Valance*, *the Searchers* and *Yellow Ribbon* and get back to me.

You really should watch *Valley* asap. It's a great film about family (which with Ford its all about ritual and family) and *Valley* has some dark themes as well.

Have you seen *Grapes of Wrath*, another film dealing with family that also has has great cinematography and performances?

I will check out the thread.

*When people tell me that Wayne shouldn't have won an Oscar I tell them to watch Liberty Valance, the Searchers and Yellow Ribbon and get back to me.*

Of those three I haven't seen Liberty Valance. I'm drawn to Wayne as an actor and I've had my share of discussions with the naysayers. The man is unique and powerful in film. I might bump my old favorite books thread and share a favorite quote from one of them with you that was made about Wayne and the perceptions people have of him. Is there an old John Wayne thread? The search function isn't working right now. (We have to let people get back to torturing Frank I guess ;) )

*You really should watch Valley asap. It's a great film about family (which with Ford its all about ritual and family) and Valley has some dark themes as well.*

Alright, I'll watch by Monday. I'll let you know what I think about it.

*Have you seen Grapes of Wrath, another film dealing with family that also has has great cinematography and performances?*

No, I have my eye on it. We have it at the Library I work in but it's always on reserve for a film class and technically we are not allowed to check it out. I'm in good with that Instructor though. We always trade films with each other. I'm sure he will let me take it to view now that the semester

is ending.

Iz,

You are right. Sometimes on this board you can sit and watch the tumbleweeds blow by and then their is a night like this where you get into a conversation and end up posting over top of each other.

I totally missed this post:

*Please share. Frankie will love the attention being off him for a moment. Thanks to for setting me straight. Of course, its Myrtle Mae who is the niece and Veda the sister. Josephine Hull won an Oscar for her performance didn't she? And possibly a Tony?*

Hull did win the supporting Oscar for her role. It's getting too late for me to start in on *Harvey.* The search function is not working for me right now. Is there an old *Harvey* thread back in the boards somewhere? If not I'll start one tomorrow evening. I'll talk to you then.

I hid it in the bushes, Liza.

you really are striving for me to look dreadful arent you? making my make-up run and everything! i hope mr, darcy comes along and sees it and maybe he'll pick it up for me, like a GENTLEMAN!

*Smithy must have hit you on the head again. Everyone knows I'd never watch a film like Pride and Prejudice, especially since I know it's a favorite of yours. I like film noir and films with lots of blood and sex. I would be the last person to watch a trashy film like Pride and Prejudice.*

so now were getting somwhere. the reason you wont watch, or claim you wont watch P&P is because i love it, not because it isnt your kind of movie. that sinks the duck!......and YOU!

*That's the precise feeling of a femme fatale who has just strangled a man to death with her long black gloves.*

again with the black gloves. you arent going to forget about the black gloves are you? i guess ill have to strangle you again!....and then apologize. heehee!

Put your little finishing school doll down. She cannot do a thing to me.

wanna bet?

OOHHHH!!! Better Off Dead pics!! okay now i feel guilty all the sudden! why do you do this to me? first you accuse me of strangling you with my black femme fatale gloves,and then you go giving me BOD pics! youre so wishy washy! heehee!

"she's a delightful girl, with a strong grip."

i love tha part when charles demar, laughs everytime he is around stallin. that makes me laugh just seeing him cry when laughing around him. im giggling now! haha! you forogt to post the pic of when ricky loses his balloon and jumps for it.....it kills me every time!

......would you possibly mind posting some of the skiing clips with monique and lane? puppy dog please! i have some more gloria grahame pics for you!.....sweet ones!

Oh, Lynne!! I'm so upset!!! I just realized that classes are starting in June WITH FORD, and I'm going to be gone for practically the first two and half weeks on vacation! :(:(:(

Well, I guess the only solution is that FrankGrimes will simply have to be my substitute. At least it will be a way to make sure he does watch some more quality movies. :P

Since you say you are a Traditional Gentleman, Mr Grimes, I trust you are delighted to be put under obligation to me. Be sure to take copious notes. :D

*Since you say you are a Traditional Gentleman, Mr Grimes, I trust you are delighted to be put under obligation to me. Be sure to take copious notes.*

dont worry, spril, im here if he objects!....which i highly doubt he will object anything you tell him to do. so i dont think i need to worry....on the other hand....hmm....ill still be here, but only if you want me to april. heehee!

im here if he objects!....which i highly doubt he will object anything you tell him to do. so i dont think i need to worry

Objecting is the first order of a traditional gentleman. Most especially, the objection of a pushy WOMAN.

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> *Since you say you are a Traditional Gentleman, Mr Grimes, I trust you are delighted to be put under obligation to me. Be sure to take copious notes.*

>

> dont worry, spril, im here if he objects!....which i highly doubt he will object anything you tell him to do. so i dont think i need to worry....on the other hand....hmm....ill still be here, but only if you want me to april. heehee!

It looks like you, Miss T, are elected because there is no shred of gentlemanliness, traditional or otherwise, in Mr Grimes. I know you will of course "ace" the class and put him to abject shame. At least I'm counting on you to! :D

Objecting is the first order of a traditional gentleman. Most especially, the objection of a pushy WOMAN.

gentlemen never object to sweet and kind people. they only object to mean nasty people, such as mr, darcy does. this is one of the things that makes him gentlemanly. and we are NOT pushy!

*It looks like you, Miss T, are elected because there is no shred of gentlemanliness, traditional or otherwise, in Mr Grimes. I know you will of course "ace" the class and put him to abject shame. At least I'm counting on you to!*

i wont let you down!....or at least illl try....you know honey boy over there. honestly!

lzcutter,

*I had the pleasure a long time ago, of meeting Cassavettes and Gena Rowlands at the end of a film tribute that we did for him....Cassavettes and Rowlands were two of the best.*

As is probably clear from a number of posts, I am in awe of Cassavetes as a director (and almost as much so as an actor). I choke-up just thinking of him, his films, and his struggles and integrity in getting his films made (and his support of Timothy Carey doesn't hurt). When Rowlands was in one of his films, it is magic. Being married to him was probably far more difficult than acting for him.

If you ever have contact with her again, please, on my behalf, beg, plead, cajole her for the release of *Husbands* and *Love Streams* on DVD.

*The best was an incredibly humble and modest Don Siegel*

That reinforces what I've heard and read elsewhere; that he is 180 degrees from what one would expect based on his films.

Yoo hoo! Izcutter!

regarding *Harvey*

I posted one of my trademark long-winded posts on the film over in the Films and Filmmakers forum. Please stop by. I would love to hear your comments on the film.

Molo

Izcutter wrote:(regrading *Harvey* ) *Please share. Frankie will love the attention being off him for a moment. Thanks to for setting me straight. Of course, its Myrtle Mae who is the niece and Veda the sister. Josephine Hull won an Oscar for her performance didn't she? And possibly a Tony?*

Howdy, Lynn -- Second favorite to Kyle? Can I get any lower?

Oh Frankie, don't be that way. You know that Lee Marvin is my main man so you both are in good company.

Now how could I turn my back on a gal who says Lee Marvin is their "main man"?

Well, I must confess, you do treat me with great respect unlike some of the "ladies" around here. And my "snippy" reference was not in reference to you. No, MISS Snippy knows who the "snippy" comment was intended for.

I apologize for getting confused. You have so many women hanging around you I almost feel like I need a score card to keep their nicknames straight.

The numerous bruises serve as my scorecard. I've got many snippy, obstinate, indecorous, and flagitious black-and-blue marks. I've got just one broken heart, though. :(

You wouldn't want to be first best, trust me.

No, you're probably right. If you can play second fiddle to Lee and Kyle, I can play second fiddle too.

Fiddle-dee-dee!

Did you watch Harvey this morning?

No, but I do have the DVD.

Well, one of these days you must watch.

One of these days will become one of these days... one of these days. Anything to get me out of watching Ford, Coop, and Garson films.

I hope you post on Molo's wonderful "Harvey" thread.

Doesn't my time spent on your "The Searchers" thread count for anything? There are some gals on this board who'd like for me to do the same just so they can run me out of town on a rail.

That won't happen. We won't let them.

I don't know about that. It's a vicious, vengeful gang with many weapons.

Those of us who appreciate your erudite sense of humor and your thoughtful way of looking at movies need you around here.

Uh-oh. This is an ambush.

There are days around here that can be as arid as Monument Valley (and by the way, Kyle -despite what he says- liked the Monument Valley ghost thread. ) and your movie thoughts are well appreciated.

Have I said enough to get back in your good graces?

You just scalped me.

Hey, Molo -- I have some advice for you: don't be kind, gentle, and loving to the girls on this thread. That's all I have been to them and they have chosen to pay me back with such care by hurting me so.

I've read their comments. You don't deserve it Frank but it's like the girls I knew in school. They wouldn't spend so much time and creativity abusing you if they didn't care so much about you. That's what I convinced myself at least.

Don't let them fool you. Just one look, one smile, will find you on the pile.

"Ford, yes"? You just earned a lot of brownie points. You can have my Ford brownies. The Fordian ladies who baked them forgot to add taste. Enjoy.

I like a good Ford western every now and then.

You better watch yourself because there are some around here looking to turn "now and then" into something painfully permanent.

You need to bump the Double G thread and I need to watch a Double G film.

I will at some point. I'm still waiting for CineMaven to post her comments that she promised a while back.

I'm sure if you answered me, she'd chime in.

Hola, Miss Holiday -- Well, I guess the only solution is that FrankGrimes will simply have to be my substitute. At least it will be a way to make sure he does watch some more quality movies.

Like usual, you are hopelessly confused. Lynn said Ford films, not quality movies. I guess she wants to show us what hack filmmaking looks like first. :P

Since you say you are a Traditional Gentleman, Mr Grimes, I trust you are delighted to be put under obligation to me. Be sure to take copious notes.

Put under obligation to you? A fate worse than death.

It looks like you, Miss T, are elected because there is no shred of gentlemanliness, traditional or otherwise, in Mr Grimes.

A traditional gentleman is always at the service of a lady.

Hi, Sweet T -- you really are striving for me to look dreadful arent you? making my make-up run and everything!

If it looks good on Coop, it will look even better on you.

i hope mr, darcy comes along and sees it and maybe he'll pick it up for me, like a GENTLEMAN!

I doubt it. I can't see a gentleman helping you out. You are past the stage of helping. :P

Smithy must have hit you on the head again. Everyone knows I'd never watch a film like Pride and Prejudice, especially since I know it's a favorite of yours. I like film noir and films with lots of blood and sex. I would be the last person to watch a trashy film like Pride and Prejudice.

so now were getting somwhere. the reason you wont watch, or claim you wont watch P&P is because i love it, not because it isnt your kind of movie. that sinks the duck!......and YOU!

You only like trashy films and my innocent eyes cannot watch such lewd behavior.

That's the precise feeling of a femme fatale who has just strangled a man to death with her long black gloves.

again with the black gloves. you arent going to forget about the black gloves are you? i guess ill have to strangle you again!....and then apologize. heehee!

I like your brand of femme fatality. Such murderous manners you possess.

Put your little finishing school doll down. She cannot do a thing to me.

wanna bet?

Your pretend doll has no power over me. She only has power over you because you keep talking to her despite her not being real.

OOHHHH!!! Better Off Dead pics!! okay now i feel guilty all the sudden! why do you do this to me? first you accuse me of strangling you with my black femme fatale gloves,and then you go giving me BOD pics! youre so wishy washy! heehee!

Feel guilty? You ARE guilty!

"she's a delightful girl, with a strong grip."

Monique has a long, black gloves kind of strangle grip, you might say. :P

i love tha part when charles demar, laughs everytime he is around stallin. that makes me laugh just seeing him cry when laughing around him. im giggling now! haha! you forogt to post the pic of when ricky loses his balloon and jumps for it.....it kills me every time!

:D The little jump in the air by Ricky makes me laugh, too.

......would you possibly mind posting some of the skiing clips with monique and lane? puppy dog please! i have some more gloria grahame pics for you!.....sweet ones!

Okay, when I get some time later tonight, I'll do that.

Desperately, my little cuddlemuffin. Desperately...

You must be desperate if you are looking to go to the dance with me. Even though I know you will dump me for another guy at the dance, I'd love to be your little cuddlemuffin before you tear my heart out, Kimme Fatale.

You must be desperate if you are looking to go to the dance with me. Even though I know you will dump me for another guy at the dance, I'd love to be your little cuddlemuffin before you tear my heart out, Kimme Fatale.

Then dance with me now and fill my heart with laughter. Throw your arms around me and never let go. I won't promise to love you, but I'll promise to try. I'll try just for you, if you dance with me now.

Then dance with me now and fill my heart with laughter. Throw your arms around me and never let go. I won't promise to love you, but I'll promise to try. I'll try just for you, if you dance with me now.

:x :x :x

Wow! That's absolutely beautiful, Kim. Those words are to be sung and danced forever. You need to bottle them up and sell them to the world. You are an extraordinarily-talented young girl who needs to pursue writing, especially creative writing. You are very gifted.

threescompany1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Now that Phase I of the torture is over:

(1) The Cubs are now 7-0 against the Bucs this season (10-0 if one reaches back to last year), and

(2) The Gene Siskel Film Center is showing 35mm archival prints from 20th Century Fox from June 6 through July 2 of:

*THE DARK CORNER* (June 13 & 16)

*FALLEN ANGEL* (June 28 & July 2)

*KISS OF DEATH* (June 21 & 23)

*LAURA* (June 27 & 28 )

*NIGHTMARE ALLEY* (June 6 & 9)

*NIGHT AND THE CITY* (June 14 & 18 )

*PANIC IN THE STREETS* (June 7 & 12)

*PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET* (June 7 & 11)

*ROAD HOUSE* (June 20 & 21)

*THIEVES' HIGHWAY* (June 14 & 19)

Fox archivist *Schawn Belston* will attend on June 14 to discuss his work with *Jules Dassin* in restoring NIGHT AND THE CITY.

Need more? From June 21 to July 26, the Siskel will be presenting (in addition to the above, Romanian Film Rising and various other movies) a series devoted to Luchino Visconti:

*DEATH IN VENICE* (June 21 & 26)

*ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS* (June 22 & 24)

*THE DAMNED* (June 28 & July 1)

*SANDRA* (June 29 & July 2)

In July (dates not yet announced): BELLISSIMA, SENSO, THE LEOPARD, LUDWIG, CONVERSATION PIECE and THE INNOCENT.

It's going to be a nice summer here. Join us. Maybe you can catch a game at Heaven, aka Wrigley Field, too.

You are evil... hence my liking you.

(1) The Cubs are now 7-0 against the Bucs this season (10-0 if one reaches back to last year), and

This is the REAL reason why you dug this thread up. I like that. The Bucs had been playing pretty good of late, too. Relatively Bucco speaking, that is.

(2) The Gene Siskel Film Center is showing 35mm archival prints from 20th Century Fox from June 6 through July 2 of:

THE DARK CORNER (June 13 & 16)

FALLEN ANGEL (June 28 & July 2)

KISS OF DEATH (June 21 & 23)

LAURA (June 27 & 28 )

NIGHTMARE ALLEY (June 6 & 9)

NIGHT AND THE CITY (June 14 & 18 )

PANIC IN THE STREETS (June 7 & 12)

PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET (June 7 & 11)

ROAD HOUSE (June 20 & 21)

THIEVES' HIGHWAY (June 14 & 19)

Wow! Now that's film noir hell! Fuller, Preminger, and Dassin! What messengers!

Need more? From June 21 to July 26, the Siskel will be presenting (in addition to the above, Romanian Film Rising and various other movies) a series devoted to Luchino Visconti:

DEATH IN VENICE (June 21 & 26)

ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS (June 22 & 24)

THE DAMNED (June 28 & July 1)

SANDRA (June 29 & July 2)

In July (dates not yet announced): BELLISSIMA, SENSO, THE LEOPARD, LUDWIG, CONVERSATION PIECE and THE INNOCENT.

Visconti is a director I'm very interested in because of his helping to launch neo-realism. I love Ossessione. I'm curious about The Leopard because of, uh, well...

It's going to be a nice summer here. Join us. Maybe you can catch a game at Heaven, aka Wrigley Field, too.

Heaven for you but not for a Bucs fan.