Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lyle Talbot kinda rocks!

markbeckuaf

You know...Lyle Talbot just seems to show up everywhere for me in films these days---he started out in the early 30's in pre-codes, you'd see him popping up everywhere, rarely a lead in anything, usually a sleaze, or a second love interest, or a red herring in scores of B mysteries...he's pretty cool! He would show up in tons of B films in the 30's and 40's and just kept that trend going as he was a mainstay all over the TV screen from the 50's through the 80's! Heck, he played Commissioner Gordon in the second Batman Serial, and he was even in *PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE*!!! How cool is that??

"I can't do it, I tell ya ... I can't do it, he's just a kid ... I can't do it, I can't do it ... don't make me do it, I can't do it, I tell ya ..."

Lyle Talbot (1902-1996) in Three on a Match, hyperventilating all the way.

Is he best known for those Warner Bros pictures in the early 30s or for the many TV shows later on?

He will appear in a Bonanza episode on TVLAND at 3pm, Sunday April 6. Probably EST but check your local listings (as they say).

///

I agree, he totally rocks and the movies he appeared in...wow!!! Looking over his filmography, particularly during the 30's and 40's...I would be in bliss just watching those films over several days!!! *hint, hint, TCM!* :) Show more Lyle films, man! Please??! :)

I just acquired a 2 DVD Al Jolson movie, "The Singing Kid" and "The Singing Fool".

Lyle Talbot played a double crossing lawyer in "The Singing Kid". In the movie he is Al Jolson's finacial manager, lawyer and took care of his taxes as a tax expert (I say!!). He ran off with Jolson's fiancee and left poor Al with a $500,000.00 income tax bill.

This is a great movie and I love the song "I Love to Singa". The Singing Kid is considered Al Jolsons last great movie.

Other costars is Sybil Jason, Edward Everett Horton, and a very young Cab Calloway.

>Wasn't he Ozzie's friend in tv's "Ozzie and Harriet"??

That was Don DeFore, but Lyle probably appeared in an episode or two. I remember a "Green Acres" episode where he played himself. Dude didn't lack for work.

P - You were right. His TV credits include 24 episodes of O&H.

Message was edited by: LuckyDan

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings