Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hedy Lamarr died four years ago,

...give or take a couple/few hours. I just thought I'd point this out, in case someone cares!

The 25th of this month will mark four years since TCM's tribute to her, through which I came to be aware of her. So began my four years of fervent Hedy Lamarr fandom/nuttiness/insanity.

Hey there Antar...for a fellow without a point, how on earth did I manage to find it? It's a "special day" for you, and there isn't anything wrong with that. Just so you'll know, I also have the date way back in 1987 that I felt that first "well, isn't this interesting?" feeling about Anton Walbrook. I bet that there are a lot of people around here who have had "crushes" on a movie star...it's only you and I who have no shame in talking about them (smile). ML

Antar most of us do care about the anniversary of a stars death especially one so beautiful and prominent as Hedy Lamarr. I'll never forget the first time I saw her in the movie "White Cargo" when she appeared and spoke

"I am Tondelayo". She was a vision of beauty and it took my breath away.

I saw her from a distance down here in Florida when she was entering a store. Wearing dark glasses,slender and a most attractive redhead, she was still the elegant movie star.

She lived at North Bay Village in Southern Florida and from an article in a paper down here her neighbors adored and respected her.

Did you know that she depended on TCM to send her videos of her movies? When she lost or misplaced them she would call and ask for another batch. I wonder if Robert Osborne had a hand in it.

Also in the 1980s she wrote some songs after getting her poor eyesight corrected. She also said that Spencer Tracy wasn't one of her favorite people and that she taught Robert Taylor how to kiss correctly on the screen.

Ah yes Miss Lamarr was certainly one of a kind and in my opinion in a tie with Ava Gardner as the most beautiful women in Hollywood.

Mongo

Thanks for your great reply, Mongo!

Yes, I had heard of TCM providing her with videos (I snagged a few Florida newspapers/supplements that have to do with her through, um, ebay ;-)...

I've never felt any shame about admitting my crush on Coop. I have a fabulous picture of him as my desktop wallpaper -- I smile every time I sit down at the computer! Hell, to prove how shameless I am I'll admit that if I was a guy I'd probably have a crush on Hedy too. She was gorgeous.

ML, I didn't know you had a thing for Anton Walbrook! I just watched "The Red Shoes" on DVD the other day and loved it all over again. He was wonderful in that movie! I will admit though, I saw him in "Gaslight" last week on TCM and he played the part of a creepy bastard so well he scared me! *LOL*

Stella! You got *bleeped* again! Shame on you! [grin]

I've got a nice desktop wallpaper of Hedy Lamarr lookin' back at me each time I fire up the 'puter (actually, glarin' back at me is more like it--a frigid yet lovely glare...just wonderful!). I got it from a site you brought to my attention in one of your topics, Stella.

Ah yes, though I'm actually pretty uptight, I can speak of my little crush without reservation. Shameless...

Stella, Help! My computer wallpaper is of Emmett Kelly the clown. Everyday he stares me in the face and I don't know wheather to punch him in his red nose or grab his ****. Please let me know where I can get a movie star on my screen preferbly Ava Gardner.

Thanx.

Mongo

Mongo you kill me!! I laughed so hard at that last post of yours I choked on my cookie! My husband had to ask if I was gonna be okay! Anyway, we can't have you on the verge of violence or **** grabbin' so here's a site where you can chose from ELEVEN different Ava Gardner wallpapers!!

www.reelclassics.com

When you get on the page scroll down to "Features", click on "Classic Screensavers and Desktop Themes", and on the right hand side of the page you will see an alphabetical list of actors and actresses.

Have fun!

Hah, yeah!

But the first line of my 8:21 post was sooo clumsily worded! When I went back to review what I'd just posted, I was suddenly mortified!

Wow, Stella! Thanks! I really don't deserve that compliment (where did it come from, anyway; you...or the brandy? *[grin]*) You're the one with the impressive vocabulary!

I, also, have a few words that I can't enunciate very well without forcing them.

To me pal Antar, cool for the rememberance!

& you may even like to find-(given Hollywood with each passing year has less & less respect for it's tremendous history???) Her house is likely gone by now. Believe me folks I was out there & they were at present raising *Jimmy Stewart's as well??? But, she only has 1 star on "Walk-of-Fame," so you may want to check into her & her entire family history at: www.findagrave.com & for others, you can also look up your own roots-(Geneology)

same site! But on Hedy Lamarr, she's obviously among the most naturally beautiful of Hollywoods Golden Age! But also invented a device during the big one>WW11, that likely saved many, many lives as well-(P.S. There was also a "Films of the Golden Age," issue that featured her.

Check it out at it's grandfather: classicimages.com)

See ya' pal & Thank You J.S.

Hedy Lamarr......Lamarrvellous!!!...Indeed my favourite Hollywood Beauty...It's hard to forget her as Delilah, at Paramount....or in the stunning number "You Stepped Out of A Dream" in 1941's Ziegfeld Girl...she was beautiful, elegant, classy, she was nice, she came from a high class background in Vienna, Austri...nevertheless she wasn't conceited and self-conscious as many other actresses of her era were...she was a natural beauty, gracious, kind, humble...

On the same level of "beautiness"....it's hard to think of someone in her class...Ava Gardner, I agree, the most beutiful "animal" in the world they nicknamed her....Gene Tierney also...a great beauty......Liz Taylor in her prime..."A Place in the Sun" or "Cat on Hot Tin Roof"...but she wasn't tall as Hedy.....Grace Kelly....lovely too..

But there will be only one Hedy.....I would like to know more about Barbara LaMarr...very few books mention her extensively, except for her death of overdose of drugs.... The legend tells that being a Metro star (Barbara LaMarr in the 1920's, she died in 1926)...Hedy was given the surname Lamarr, because when Louis B. Mayer put under contract Hedwig Kiesler (Hedy Lamarr),he finally found a woman "beautiful enough" to take the place left by Barbara LaMarr...

I've seen stills of Barbara LaMarr....and in my opinion Hedy Lamarr is infinitely more beautiful than her...let's say Barbara LaMarr is no match for Hedy...

what do you think??

Hi Feaito! "Lamarrvelous", indeed! *[WOW]*

'Bout Barbara LaMarr...I've never actually seen a movie with her, yet, but I've seen a couple stills and I must say, I couldn't see what the big deal was. I tried, but I just couldn't see it.

I've also seen pictures of Barbara Lamarr, in fact, there was an article about her awhile back in Classic Images. She definitely was no raving beauty, and couldn't hold a candle to Hedy Lamarr. The first movie I saw Hedy in which is still my favorite is "Ziegfeld Girl." She was stunning in that movie, as were Lana and Judy - all "hotties" to say the least.

I heard that Hedy was struggling financially later in life - mostly during her retirement in Florida. She seemed to be somewhat elusive in her later years - totally out of the spotlight - similar to the way Joan Fontaine is now. I enjoyed Mongo's story about seeing her, but I'd love to read more about her later years. Someone has to write a thorough biography of her someday - sounds like a job for you Antar!

It's true, there's just not much on Hedy Lamarr as far as biographies. There's been talk of some kind of documentary or made for TV movie thing about her, but I'm not sure if or when anything'll come of that.