Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Moviebuffer12

Best use of a song in a non musical movie

Some examples are Moon River in Breakfast at Tiffanys and Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head in Butch Cassidy and the Sundace Kid. But My Favorite moment would be Born To Be Wild from Easy Rider. It Just goes so well with the movie and the backround. What About You?

My all time favorite for music in a non-musical was Moonglow/PICNIC Love Theme. I believe Morris Stoloff was nominated for an oscar in that category (music in a non musical production).

Farrow and Redford dancing to the Victorola, playing Berlin?s What?ll I Do? in *The Great Gatsby* is always a moving scene for me. Berlin is probably my favorite composer when it comes to the standards. No one else I can think of seemed to write so knowingly of lost or unrequited love.

Oh ! so many--- AsTime Goes By from Casablanca...and I just saw My Foolish Heart...

the lovely Summertime from the movie of the same name ..and how about Charlie Chaplin and his

Theme from Limelight?

(What a great idea for a topic!)

When I read the subject, I immediately thought of 'As Time Goes By' from Casablanca....but then after thinking about it some more, I think my favorite use of a song in a non-musical is Julie Harris as Sally Bowles singing 'I Met Him In A Cafe in Berlin' in "I Am A Camera". (To my mind, Harris really IS 'Sally Bowles'. Christopher Isherwood thought so too, although both 'Chris' and I (not that we've discussed it or anything!) both agree that Liza did a good, 'Americanized' job. But to my mind, what made Sally Bowles so great was her 'Englishness' (and boy, did Julie Harris get the accent down pat!)

Que Sera Sera by doris Day in Alfred Hitchcock's

The Man that knew too Much (1956)

I don't know what it had to do with the movie,

but now I can't get this song out of my head

Sammy Davis Jr's "E O 11" in Ocean's Eleven and Sir Lancelot's "Shame and Sorrow" in I Walked With A Zombie. Both songs foreshadowed the plot in each film.

Cris, I think it was used to signify the bond between mother and child. The boy knew that only his mother loved to sing this song and he immediately recognized she was there. It's one of my favorite songs of Doris.

How about these:

Rita Hayworth singing Put the Blame on Mame in *Gilda*

Burl Ives singing Lavender Blue in *So Dear to my Heart*

Barbara Streisand singing As Time Goes By in *What's Up Doc?*

Thanks metsfan

i guess I should watch it again

You're welcome Cris. I was watching an episode of The Doris Day Show and noticed she used "Que sera, sera" in the opening credits. It shows her hugging the kids and having a great time at the park. I guess it stayed with her despite her initial dislike of the song.

In The Man Who Knew Too Much, the song Que Sera Sera was a song that Doris Day's Character sang to her little boy. He was later kidnapped and taken to a house where Doris visited. She was asked to sing so she sang Que Sarta Sara for a long time and very loudly. She was hoping her son would hear it and he could be rescued.

Exactly -- Moon River from Bfast at Tiffanys would be my pick.

How eeeevvver, if we were judging musicals, I'd have to say My Lucky Star from Singin' In The Rain even though it didn't make it into the movie.........

I know most folks around here don't really like The Graduate, but at the beginning of that movie, the use of Sounds of Silence is very appropriate as Benjamin travels home, through the airport and then lays on his bed smoking cigarettes so full of ennui that it just sets the tone of the film.

Can you ever watch High Noon without coming away singing "Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin'"??? I know everytime I watch it that song is twanging around in my brain for days...but I mean that in a good way. :-)

I really love the theme song from The Way We Were and

another one would have to be the theme from Chariots of Fire when they are running and the song is playing in the background - it just works!

Aww you stole mine!

Moon River is such a beautiful song! And Audrey Hepburn singing it just made it even better. I replayed that scene about 12 times when I first saw Breakfast At Tiffany's. I now have it on my iPod. Haha.

Ugh!--I saw that movie this past weekend--won't give a commentary on my opinion of the film--but that little robot sure had annoying taste in music! They kept playing it over and over again!! It's been stuck in my head for the last two days--and in this instance--that is not a good thing! :-(

I've already posted some of my favorites before but I caught Eddie & The Cruisers (not really a musical) & loved The Dark Side.

Just watched the last 20 minutes of You Can't Take it With You-by the time they got finished playing Polly Wolly Doodle on their harmonicas--all the problems were solved and my toes were a-tappin'! :-)