Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sets I'd Love To Live In

Back of the Moon was lovely but the house I loved more was the one at the beginning of Leave Her To Heaven - the Spanish-style in New Mexico. "Ellen" had gone there to dispose of her father's ashes in the desert. The Bar Harbor house was one you could snuggle into too.

Great pics, thanks Frank.

The set for the Bergman flic INDESCREET was absolutely great. Great for the time and great for today as well. There was nothing in it that anyone could object to. It looked elegant and expensive, but at the same time, comfy and used. I could move right in.

Okay, so I love Gregory Peck's apt. in "Roman Holiday"!

I have noticed that apt. used in other old movies and TV shows (none that I can name of the top of my head). The lay-out and the big window are unmistakable.

In fact, I think it is in a "Dick Van Dyke Show" episode. I could be wrong about

that, but I do know that I have seen that room in several different movies and shows!

I love the apartment in Roman Holiday too! Kind of in the same way I dig Dean Jones' pad in The Love Bug. It sits on a great San Fran hill, even if it's partly a matte painting. Heck, I'd live in a matte painting any day; they usually sport a nice view.

Mr. Hulot has a quaint yet kooky abode in Mon Oncle. I'm not sure that I'd really want to live there... too many stairs. If I can figure out how to post a picture of it I will.

i love this thread!

in no particular order:

--the house under construction in "strangers when we meet" (a real house, still standing)

--the house in perpetual construction in "the misfits" ( i love the smell of lumber)

--the apartment in "the goodbye girl"--a real upper west side nyc apartment (the building is still there)

--the finney kitchen in "a letter to three wives"

As long as I got the rubdown massage from the ever abrasive and cynical Thelma Ritter.

I hear ya! I might even prefer her to Grace. The acerbic sense of humor that is Thelma ...

*ccbaxter* : I remember that long shot of M. Hulot's place. He climbs the stairs and is standing on the third floor. It looks quaint but it looks as if noise could easily penetrate those rickety old walls. If you have the DVD (Is it out on DVD?) you can do a screen capture and post to forum using instructions below. Mon Oncle is one of my faves of all time. So funny.

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=123944&tstart=0

I'd love to live in a house that has that half circle window that is shown in the background of so many 1940's movies. I've always wondered if it is actually in a room on some set or if the window itself is portable. Or perhaps it is in some house that is at a movie studio. I also wonder if it still exists. It's beautiful.

Thanks for the link, laffite. Yes, Mon Oncle is on DVD (Criterion), and I never tire from watching it. Highly recommended!

Here's Hulot making his way to his apartment on the upper left. He starts at the door on the lower right, zigzags his way to the top, turns around, walks down a half flight of steps, passes through the neighbor's laundry, disappears through a doorway, than appears again on the far left. Whew!

mononcle01da7.jpg

It doesn't seem to occur to him that the entire neighborhood can see where he hides his key.

mononcle02jp5.jpg

Upon opening a window, he notices a chirping sound...

mononcle03ws9.jpg

...and discovers that the neighbor's bird likes a little sunshine!

mononcle04wz5.jpg

*ccbaxter* : What a treat! Beautiful picture of that apartment. I love this movie so much it?s a thrill to see them put up. Thanks. Tati was a genius. The thing with the key and especially the bit with the sunshine on the bird is so much like the humor you see throughput. Subtle little ordinariness is funny. There are numerous such occurrences. _No spoilers ahead!_ He's standing with a fish (was it a fake fish?) and a dog growls at it. The rectangular parking spot in the middle of the lot. That horrible fish fountain and the need for it to be on when someone rings the bell. Tati knows how to make sound effects funny. The constant riff on on modern appliances and the sound they make. The street drilling at the beginning. The sweeper is about to sweep but gets interrupted. None of this is funny in the telling, you have to see it. Tati had a way of looking at the world. Watch this movie and then go for a walk; ordinary things will take on a Tati-esque humorous quality. I don't know how he does it.

By the way, CC, I haven?t scrolled down to check but surely you mentioned your alter-ego?s famous apartment. I like that place. (Was it the same one used in The Fortune Cookie?) Anyway, if it?s for rent, I?ll take it, just get rid of that smelly tennis racket ...