Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When's Your Birthday..7:15 am edt

TriciaNY

I taped it, and will check it out later. I usually enjoy his films. In July 2003 TCM showed a bunch of his films, probably to celebrate his July 28 birthday. I don't think they showed this one.

Nobody can say "Hey .... Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" like he can!

This was a pleasant enough film, although the print was in tough shape, even with the restoration. Joe wants to become a D.A. (Doctor of Astrology), and works a variety of jobs, including busboy, horoscope maker at a carnival, and boxer. Along the way, he blows his chance to marry into a wealthy family (although with Edgar Kennedy as the potential father-in-law, it was probably just as well). Margaret Hamilton shows up as a maid with a really big nose ... wait, that was really her nose. Ward Bond has a bit part as an Irish detective. The climactic boxing match has some slapstick and would probably keep young kids entertained.

This was my first chance to see the lovely Marian Marsh, who works with Joe at the carnival and eventually becomes his girl. This was also my first chance to see Bull Montana, the Italian wrestler, without makeup. He plays "Salvador Slayer," a Spanish boxer. After seeing his mug and caulifower ears, I liked him better as the Ape-Man in the silent version of The Lost World.

I loved it too, Tricia, and hope they'll show it again sometime soon. Thanks for requesting it. The first movie my father took my mother to on a date was $1000 a Touchdown (1939) and I still remember the first time I saw him in Some Like It Hot. So guess I'm a long time fan, and looking for more of his movies.

• 1 month later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings