Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PLEASE ASSIST IF YOU CAN HAS ANYONE SEEN/GOTTEN OR HEARD OF THE MAG>"ICONS?

spencerl964

Title makes this sound urgent Actually it's more out of frustration!!!

This superb looking magazine & website called "ICONS" has in essence been teasing

cinema fans They made 1 mistake & jumped the gun back during the holidays Sending out e-mails with *BOGIE on the cover-(newsletters had him with a Santa hat on) Called 'em & they admitted to nt being ready However they appear to be ready now & still there are problems with stuff It's website in itself is great to say the least & is supposed to get even better-(NOTE: IF YOU CHECK IT OUT COME RIGHT BACK TO TCM OF COURSE) It has links to *Bogart's own site & newsleter-(son Stephen is among editing team & can be seen on it) & now *John Wayne has been added as having his own too! Graphics are superlative However the mag itself is very expensive at $47.00 per yr

A lot more than "Classic Images" & "Films of the Golden Age" Which are actually the only other Classic cinema mags out there? So please just let me know if you are aware of it

Too bad TCM doesn't have 1 I mean other than "Now Playing' which is great

Thanks

Hi Spencer,

I'm not sure if the pricey magazine will find its way to the marketplace, especially since this is a tough period to be launching a glossy print mag. This kind of niche marketing might be even tougher with the economic & technological issues facing consumers and publishers. Rumor has it that the writer's strike last Fall put the magazine Icons on hold, but a quasi-regular radio broadcast, also called Icons seems poised to re-emerge.

Stephen Bogart (yes, Ms. Bacall & Humphrey Bogart's son, who has been a producer, notably at ESPN), and John Mulholland are scheduled to host Eli Wallach on Sunday, May 18th, 2008 at 8PM ET. You can also hear several of their past shows here. Some of their previous guests include such interesting folk as actress Jean Simmons, Joan Leslie, the sometimes ubiquitous producer A.C. Lyles, (responsible for the much beloved Night of the Lepus, among other classic & not so classic movies ;) ), several children of movie stars, including Kerry Kelly (daughter of Gene), Jamie Niven (son of David), Rory Flynn (daughter of Errol), as well as others.

I've listened to a few of these and, while they tend to ramble, it's rather refreshing to hear the visitors allowed to voice their own thoughts, (not just responding to pre-digested queries from their laid back interviewers Messrs. Bogart & Mulholland.)

Have you actually seen a hard copy of the magazine? ~*FredCDobbs*

I saw the original issue with *Bogart* on the cover on a newsstand. It's out of my price range, Fred, but it looked as though it was beautifully produced graphically. Maybe that inaugural issue will make a great collector's item, eh?

I was in the magazine business years ago, so I know a little about it. Looks to me like these guys are trying to launch a magazine with inadequate capital. They are trying to get enough subscribers and advertisers to pay for having each issue printed.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings