Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Today is the aniversary of Sinatra's recording comeback.

On April, 2nd 1953 Frank Sinatra entered the recording studio (I believe it was Columbia) to record two new songs for a new album. The songs weren't AMAZING (one of them debuted at #13), but nevertheless it ushered in a new recording era for Sinatra. He was back and he was better. During this time he recorded some of his best songs! This is also the time he earned the nickname "Chairman of the Board".

I love Frank and think he was amazing! How about you?

young-191.jpg

You know. My cousin was his NY bodyguard in the 80's. Sinatra stayed at the Waldorf all the time when he came in..and get this I didn't CARE! LOL I was in my early 20's. He kept insisting I come in and meet him, hear him play the piano, eat spaghetti with his wife and him.. etc and I never went and couldn't care less!! Can you imagine that?

He gave me tickets to see Frank Sinatra, Liza Minelli and Sammy Davis and had to *force* me to go really, although I love Liza and Sammy.

I was sooooooooo impressed. Literally. I mean I saw Sinatra sing NY NY with Liza for goodness sakes! Dean Martin was supposed to appear but he got sick so Liza stepped in on the tour. I was walking on air after that. Superstars. Plain and Simple. I have some photos somewhere, but it was like yesterday in my mind and I am so glad I went! I have met/seen many famous people but these 3 were simply amazing. I was so moved.

Thanks for listening.

hey iloveraymilland!

this is so great, thanks for that info. i just love frankie's recordings, no matter what time of his life they were recorded, even though towards the end of his life, you could tell that he smoked and drank for most of his life. nevertheless, i will always think his voice is so harmonious and will bring a smile to my face for years to come. ;)

what is your favorite song by him?

theresa

6476_1.JPG

my mother has said multiple times that frankie has too skinny of a body and watched his movies with gene kelly all the time, therefore she tends to compare them to each other, even thought they have nothing whatsoever in common ecxept for the fact that they are both cute in my eyes. i still say he was cute even if he was skinnier than gene, what do you say?

frank_sinatra_and_gene_kelly.jpg

I first saw Sinatra in 1989 in Las Vegas on a whim and I was hooked! Every time he appeared in Vegas we went, sometimes seeing him multiple times in one trip, all the way to his last performance in Vegas at the MGM..

Now to tie Classic Film and Frank: A couple of years ago my wife and I went to a Motion Picture Academy screening of "Sunset Blvd" where both missing and substituted clips were shown and who was there? None other than Alan Livingstone, the former Vice-President of Capitol Records and the man responsible for resurrecting Sinatra's career. Why was he there? He is married to Nancy Olsen, the young gal who falls in love with William Holden in Sunset Blvd!

I first saw Sinatra in 1989 in Las Vegas on a whim and I was hooked! Every time he appeared in Vegas we went, sometimes seeing him multiple times in one trip, all the way to his last performance in Vegas at the MGM..>>

When Frank first played Las Vegas in the early 1950s, he was at Wilbur Clark's Desert Inn and was quoted as saying:

"Wilbur Clark gave me my first job in Las Vegas. That was 1951.

For six bucks you got a filet mignon dinner and me."

By the time the 1950s had come to a close, Frank was at the Sands and with his buddies, it was standing room only in the Copa Room.

It was often said after that"

"Liberace would fill a hotel, Sinatra filled the town."

You got dinner, dessert, two drinks and a show all for less than $20.00.

Those were the days.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> 6476_1.JPG

> my mother has said multiple times that frankie has too skinny of a body and watched his movies with gene kelly all the time, therefore she tends to compare them to each other, even thought they have nothing whatsoever in common ecxept for the fact that they are both cute in my eyes. i still say he was cute even if he was skinnier than gene, what do you say?

>

> frank_sinatra_and_gene_kelly.jpg

Of course Frank was WAY cuter then Gene. Gene was like huge and ugh, Oh, and don't get me started on that creepy smile! No offense I think Gene was amazing, great dancer (behind Fred though!), but I love Sinatra way more!

To answer your other question: I have NO idea what my favorite song is! I LOVE so many, all for different moods :).

> {quote:title=ILoveRayMilland wrote:}{quote}

> On April, 2nd 1953 Frank Sinatra entered the recording studio (I believe it was Columbia) to record two new songs for a new album. The songs weren't AMAZING (one of them debuted at #13), but nevertheless it ushered in a new recording era for Sinatra. He was back and he was better. During this time he recorded some of his best songs! This is also the time he earned the nickname "Chairman of the Board".

>

> I love Frank and think he was amazing! How about you?

>

>

> young-191.jpg

Actually, the session was his first for Capitol. It was okay, but his first important session for the label didn't come until April 30, when he made his first real standout recording for Capitol, "I've Got The World On A String."

I'm a major Sinatra fan -- saw him twice, in D.C. in '83 and Philly in '86 -- and have just about everything he did for Columbia and Capitol. (The Reprise stuff is okay, but overall not quite as good.) No one interpreted a pop lyric better; he was the master storyteller of song. I consider his 1955 album "In The Wee Small Hours" the greatest pop album ever made..

>

> Actually, the session was his first for Capitol. It was okay, but his first important session for the label didn't come until April 30, when he made his first real standout recording for Capitol, "I've Got The World On A String."

>

> I'm a major Sinatra fan -- saw him twice, in D.C. in '83 and Philly in '86 -- and have just about everything he did for Columbia and Capitol. (The Reprise stuff is okay, but overall not quite as good.) No one interpreted a pop lyric better; he was the master storyteller of song. I consider his 1955 album "In The Wee Small Hours" the greatest pop album ever made..

Capitol is right! Also, I knew his important recording session was on April 30th! But he did record on April 2nd (one of the songs debuted at #7, not #13 like I wrote up there!). And I just couldn't resist a thread dedicated to his songs :) !!!!!!!!

Everyone is talking about seeing his concerts. I unfortunately was not alive when he was alive, but I love so much! He was a amazing singer AND actor, something that most people never achieve!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings