Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey All,

i just finished watching the documentary on Marlon Brando...i am speechless...what an amazing human being! Of course the BEST actor of all time....but as a human being with all his flaws, in life i dont think u can count on your hand knowing in our life time a person like Marlon Brando...i know i wish i had met him in my lifetime..sorry to say i never did but what i have learned from him...about life, love, acting, LIFE....i just had to share my appreciation for Mr.Brando in my life and in obviously many many many ppls lives!

Thank u Marlon....u will NEVER be forgotten!

AvaG

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

I saw that documentary also, while I was getting ready for work.

I'm not the biggest fan of Brando, but I do appreciate his work and can understand why others really love him.

I think that documentary was very good, because it showed him as the talented...yet very flawed individual that he was. I thought it was a very balanced piece. And I loved all the interviewees. Cool seeing Johnny Depp!

Well done!

was this documentary the one that was previously shown on TCM a few months ago or is this something new??? I missed the documentary today....

TCM should have showed a few Brando films in honor of his birthday today...great actor.

I believe it was one they have already shown. It was really interesting.

I can't remember what was to come after it as I left for work before the documentary was over. But hopefully they screened some Brando films. It's always nice for the fans of an actor if they screen some films for the actor's birthday. I always love that when they do it for Valentino, for example. Tons of fun!

I don't have a schedule so I can't check back. Was this most recently shown the same as the one I recall that was so long it was aired on successive nights? All told it must have been three hours or more long. Is this the one? I have it on VHS but haven't looked at it yet :(

laffite,

yes thats the one..it was 3 hours...Absolutly incredible man! Marlon Brando by far was our best Actor ever!!.As Johnny Depp said it starts and stops with Marlon...there is no in between....thats it! Well said Johnny! I also like when Johnny said u dont really direct Marlon u just keep your mouth shot and let him go....heehee...Yup i just adored that man! Not only as an actor but the documentary showed how many causes he took on and how he CARED soooo much for his feinds! Just a one of a kind...

AvaG

It was an awesome doc.

I was disappointed though, because not enough was said about One Eyed Jacks, my favorite Marlon movie. he is awesome in this one and directed it. There are some things about the movie that I like very much. One is that the supporting cast is given respect, ncluding the Latin American actors, who were shown in a sympathetic light. This was almost unheard of at the time.

Another thing I like about the movie is the location photography. It is really beautiful.

But the best thing about it is Marlon's performance. Once you've heard him say "You gob of spit", you just have to enjoy this western. He takes risks, and they give his acting a very realistic quality that no one else ever approaches. The way he kicks a table and chair out of his way at the beginning of a fight scene makes you giggle. But you then realize that a deadly earnest fight is going to occur. This is exactly how I would react in real life when confronted with such violence. In life, not everything is well-done, some things are comical, even when they are not supposed to be. It's a great movie.

Brando influenced almost every actor through to today. When you think of how many actors were inspired by him, and they in turn inspire new actors, he seems to be the most influential men of the 20th century..

Funny thing about this movie. I actually believe that certain studio powers let the published print deteriorate and then fall into public domain. They were supposedly annoyed at Brando because of this film's, and the following years "Bounty's" budget problems, eccentricities, etc. I cannot find a decent US print of this, and the market is flooded with lousy ones.

Which is a shame, because I agree this is one of his best.

Jack,

very well said! It is true how many actors he has inspired!! Im not very familiar with the movie u talked about but i am familiar with all his other movies..all the way to Last Tango In Paris! A gronudbreaking movie..which really through Marlon for a loop himself...and of course to his beginning Street Car Named Desire...i mean anyone who can not appreciate this mans work as an actor a genuis to his craft...well i dont want to go there..but theres no way to appreciate acting and not appreciate Marlon Brando..

I could go on and on about Marlon and his contribution to the arts....

ty Jack for your response....and your equal appreciation to this amazing MAN!

Ty

AvaG

mickeeteeze- I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case with this movie. Many movie execs have cut off their own noses to spite their face under similar circumstances. And I am sure Marlon ticked off a good many people by not following the "rules". It's a shame because I love the film too. It really is a great movie, and I am not the biggest western fan. It just has so much to offer. Anybody reading this thread - go out and find the movie, bad print or not. It will be worth your time and effort.

Ava- Streetcar is THE Brando movie. To this day, I pity any actor who tries to play it, because there will never be any one who will ever come close to the sheer animal ferocity and sensualness of Brando's portrayal. He deserved all the acclaim he got, and maybe more.... If AFI were to do a top 100 film characterizations (and they may just get to that someday), I have no doubt that Stanley Kowalski/Marlon Brando would come in at #1, or MAYBE #2 (Scarlett O'Hara/Vivien Leigh might just beat him).

Hmm, yep, I agree Jack. To me, "One eyed Jacks" is the first modern western, post studio system. The original Spaghetti Western, no "Unforgiven" without it, IMO. Being in my forties, it's a drag never having seen those beach shots over Monterey. It DID win an Oscar for camera work, didn't it?

Or at least nominated.

You are right! It is the first spaghetti western! Good call.

I have to say those shots of Monterey are breathtaking. I don't know what print I saw, but I am definitely NOT old enough to have seen the movie when it came out!.... There were a lot of beautiful scenes in the version I watched that made me want to immediately go on vacation in California...........

Jack....over a year ago I actually "youtube" e-mailed the guy who has those "widescreen clips" up on YT if he could send me a print. He had it on British....oh jeez, I'm shot. He had it on British "big video....looks like an LP"....can't remember what it's called.

In any case, the great print is OUT THERE. Just not HERE. I honestly believe that the big studio guys are honoring an old time grudge. There is no reason in the world that "One-Eyed Jacks" should only be available in the half baked print we all know. They flooded the market with "weak prints", and now it's not financially "prudent" to do a "double Disc" collecters.

Which, back to first base, is a shame. It IS one of Marlons best.

Mickeeteeze- if it is out on "big round disc" thingy, my sister has one of those players. Maybe I can ask her if she can rent(?) the movie and send me a copy? She is in L.A. and may have access to a decent print. I don't even know if she can copy it, but I will try it. The least that can happen is that we are back to square one again.

Cool. Thats actually a LEAD!

I will "up my ante" and take a good hard look. I do this every few months....maybe 6-7.

To me, this is like the "Holy Grail" of Brando stuff. My old Holy Grail was "Viva Zapata" which I FOUND in a Korean print. If you are interested in that, PM me, I might be able to help.

But, I'd give up 3 Zapatas for one Jack.

I'll keep looking.

Peace.

Hey Jack,

yuppers...Streetcar is Brando...only Brando..lol.....but funny that u should mention Scarlett OHara/Vivain Leigh...i am always saying that to ppl about Vivan Leigh/Scarlett.... They could find a million girls TODAY to try and play MissScarlett O Hara like my girl the breathtaking..cat like..the most gorgoues eyes i have seen...(2nd to Ava) Vivian Leigh....thats why she beat out EVERY actress then there was including the incomprable Bette Davis.....just among some of them..for that part.

anyway thanks again Jack..u say it so well.. ;-)

AvaG

hey movielover...

there was another documentary on him on another channel...i believe its Bravo, they play it quite often....but TCM has shown this documentary before...not sure if it was only a few months ago...i thought it was longer then that but u might be right.

AvaG :-)

mike,

with all due respect i thought that documentary...3 hours WORTH..on the MAN....was about as definitive as they come if u ask me...down to his childhood..his carrer..his personal life..to his freinds..to his kids suicide..to his LAST days...lol...forgive me but if thats not definitive enuff for ya well then u are very hard to please..heehee....they touched EVERY single part of this mans life..from boyhood to man hood to grampa....to his very last days..

anyway it had to be the most intriguing 3 hours of a mans life ive ever seen...of course Brando=ACTING.. so there ya go

tya yall

AvaG '-)

But, Ava......his personal charm, which was discussed, but not shown.

Best, I hear, Marlon was imposed of pranks, humor, and laughter. All "interviewees" said so.

There are interviews available that show that "first person". I'm guessing there were "rights" problems.

In any case, Brando seems to be the most under interviewed great actor out there. Not true. Just stuff not released. Why?

mike,

im not sure exactly what u are asking me.....why is he the under interviewed actor or why are his interviews not shown? Sorry just not sure what u are asking...ummmm...as far as his personal charm not shown and we we only heard about it i must disagree...in the TCM biography....they showed plenty of Brando speaking for himself..meaning showing him..his charm ect.....but as far as his INTERVIEWS there is a documenatry that is nothing but interviews i forget the name of the special but as i had said before i believe i saw it on Bravo... as a matter a fact it was just on a couple weeks ago...and that would show u more of his interview persona.... but YES Marlon did NOT like to do interviews at all..he was notorious for that... so maybe thats why u feel he was an under interviewed actor...in any case

that is why i think this biography was very well put together..i feel it really captured the man or as much as we (the public) could see of him...u know with Marlon u could only get as close as he would let u..u will only see as much as he lets u anyway..very mysterious man..

Anyway i have no idea if i answered your question if i didnt i will be happy to try again.....heehee...lol

AvaG :-)

The TCM doc was VERY WELL DONE !

I just happen to know, be it by bits and pieces I've seen over the course of my life, that the DEFINITIVE BRANDO BIO has not been done. A DEFINITIVE Bio would include interviews of him. Granted, Brando hated interviews, gave few. In fact, his interviews were usually 50% an interview of the "interviewee".

Which brings up his amazing "curiosity". Could be why he was such a brilliant actor. Apparently, he loved to get to know others....ie....his weakness....he probably knew it. Maybe why he hated interviews.....I don't know. I'm guessing, but I don't know.

In any case, as a big fan of his, I'm aware of that (fact?) about him. It was untouched during the TCM doc, which is, to date, the bar none best doc on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CWcNTaNCmw

At around 2:00 into the interview he talks about ants, as he looks at an airplane in the sky with a childs amazement and enthusiasm.

What do you think?

mike...

as i said before YES there was a special done with ingterviews of Marlon and again in the TCM bio they did have some interviews they DID....maybe not alot of course because the MAN did not give interviews.soooooooooo i think what we are going back and forth about isidf its definitive or not..i say IT IS....or for YOU.....lol...as close as its going to get i guess scinse Brando did not do interviews....But to me it was very definitive with the interviews they did have..... i guess its what ever u perceive definitive to be.... in any case we both agree that we love Brando and thats what matters most right! Ty for the talk

AvaG ;-)