• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARLON BUD BRANDO

joanieh

Such a slight to a great actor

is insulting.>>

Joanie,

TCM did a big salute last May to Brando, including airing his films and the four hour documentary.

Just because he was not better remembered on his birthday does not mean that TCM does not highlight Brando's career.

He has also been part of "Summer Under the Stars".

Izutter. Yes i saw the doc and the couple films last year and appreciated that very much.

But being such a life long admirer and someone that knew him casullay in my youth I was sure they would give him more time as did many people that I know who are great admirers of Bud's.

It was a disappontment not to see at least one of his films..so you can understand my feeling about this I hope. And thank you for replying.

Message was edited by: joanieh

It was a disappointment not to see at least one of his films..so you can understand my feeling about this I hope. >>

Joanie,

I understand and empathize. It has to be one of the big

difficulties of programming for the channel though, deciding which stars

birthdays to highlight, do you do it every year or spread the love

around to other stars born on the same day or in the month?

No matter what the decision it always ends up disappointing some fans.

I wonder if Brando will be highlighted in *Summer Under the Stars* this summer?

Yeah, it does seem a bit odd that the doc was all they played. I do have most of his DVD's, so when they play him, I usually pass. But, I agree, you'd think they'd have played more.

Joan, at least you knew him. From what I ubderstand, he was about as kind a soul as one could hope to meet.

Happy birthday, Mr. Brando. You indeed made a difference.

Izcutter..I get your meaning and according to TCM they do not have the rights to most all of Marlon's films which is unusual as they have all the other great ole stars... What annoyed me is the fact that Doris Day who I do like and enjoy has five films showing and though the Marlon Doc is 2 1/2 hours it doesn't take up the time five films of one star does...so my feelings were why not just one Brando film and four which is plenty showing Ms Day.A number of his fans that I know complained about this and that is why I came on the message board. I hope that they will Highlight him in Summer under the stars..if not I'll say no more. Have a great day and again Happy Birthday to Bud Brando who would have been 84.

Mickeeteeze, people have no idea what he was truly like. Ofcause I knew him as I did and that was as a very gentle but masculine man..he had a tenderness about him that was beautiful and rare. A man of great humor and just brilliant. We had a casual friendship and this was very long ago when he lived in manhattan which was my home and he was at that time already a star so to speak. He has my undying devotion for a very misunderstood man.

Smiles and salutations, Joanie.

I like Brando - one of the greatest actors. The fact that TCM chose not to honor him on his birthday by even showing 1 of his films seems very wrong.....I'm a bit disappointed in not scheduling his films. Happy Birthday to a great actor.....and I do hope TCM does a "belated" birthday movie bash for him, but I highly doubt it.....maybe the schedulers aren't Brando fans, but there are lots of us out there who would like to see his films.

Thanks for the reply, Joan. Marlon must have really fit in well with early fifties Manhattan.

A little off topic, a little on; would some group or org. please, please, PLEASE restore "One-Eyed Jacks" to it's true colors and widescreen? One of Marlons best perfs, he directed as well, and the cinematography is awesome. IMO, the first of the "modern westerns" that eventually gave us "The Unforgiven". OK, I know some will say "High Noon", but, what the hey, I'm a fan!

Happy BD, Marlon.

Hi Ava, I'm sure they aren't trying to insult him it's me that's insulted at the 7AM reshow of the Doc....they could have done just a little bit better with one film. But if Marlon were alive he'd wish they didn't show any of his movies...believe me.

I'm the greedy one wanting to see...but i do have all my DVD's so I shouldn't complain.

The fact is they show very,very few of his movie's....thank heaven for dvd's.LOL

Smiles, Joanie

Mickeeteeze he fit perfect in the 50's he was a man of his time. One eyed Jacks was a terrific movie and I fully agree with you in reference to restoring the movie.He went so far over budget and that ended his directing which he was actually excellent at...took him 6 months for a film that should have been finished in less then 3 months..LOL Gotta laugh at that one. I thought i was prejudice at thinking that the first modern western...glad I'mnot alone in that thought.

Have a great night.

IMO, one of the most intensely acted scenes in motion picture history. "Paul" finally, FINALLY communicates to his wife, now dead by suicide. It would take "one key Mickee" way too long to set this up. Everything pertains to "character". EVERYTHING. Amazing clip. Those who can't handle language, DO NOT GO HERE.

Hey Mickeeteeze thanks for putting that clip up...ofcause i've seen the movie but haven't watched it in a long time as I find it very emotional for me. He' was amazing and he did make some not terrific films but he always gave a fantastic performance. He exposed his very soul in this movie from the very depth of him all the hurt,hate and anger came out..very sad to watch.

I'm happy to see that TCM has rescheduled tonight's movies and is honoring the wonderful Richard Widmark a good actor and fine human being.. My first introducton to him was as a young girl watching him throw that poor old women down the stairs.he's always been one of my favorites.

LOL nice introduction to Mr Widmark.

joanieh,

hey there...i agree they should show them more OFTEN.....but they do show his movies..truly...i dont know if u were watching about 2 months ago i think it was, anyway they showed the whole lot of his movies..all of them i think it was a weeks worth of Brando....and i must kindly disagree with u i don t think that he would NOT want them to play any of his movies.....he didnt sound like that when he would talk about his acting u never heard him say i hated doing this doing that ever complaining..sure there were some he didnt like worse then others...but exspecially Brando he acted because HE wanted to..in the END maybe just for the money or whatever.....but growing up when he was first acting i believe he looved it....as well he didnt have the greatest bond with his parents gthere for was kind of a lover and his acting is what got him through some pretty ruff childhood days...and i think as well may i add he had what most of us could NEVER imagine in life happen the loss of 3 chilldren MY god....change a man forever...well Christian (who was his fav) died after he did..but he did see 2 children die..one by suicide as well....and then he saw christian go to prison for 5 years.......this is alot for ANY parent...that will change a man forever...and i do believe it changed Marlon....in the end of his life and carrer as well...

Very tragic the end of his life.....yet someone who was BORN to do just what he was born to do....i assure u would want his movies to be aprreciated and enjoyed looooooong after he is gone! :-) And thank god they are!! YES...TCM should play them MORE often!

thanks for your appreciation and love as i have for this MAGNITUDE of a great actor and for that matter a great man!

AvaG :-)

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

Hi Ava, I don't really recall them showing a bunch of his movies at all. I e-mailed them as to why they didn't show more of his films and they told me they did not have the rights to them. I know his estate is a mess because of who has controll of it. Marlon lived to see his daughter Cheyenne die but Christian passed recently so he was spared that. All the rest of his children are alive.

Believe me I know his whole life story and I can tell you that he has many times said he didn't care to make films only did it when he needed the cash...He mentioned on numerous occations how he hated making movies..he came to despise acting in films though my own personal thoughts are that his life was forever in such turmoll that he lost what interest he had in many ways..and thats why food became his cushion and helped fill the emptyness. He could not stand to be asked about his movies by people he liked to talk with others on what he thought of as a down to earth level and not "He" being the main attraction of the conversation. I had never once asked him about his movies or acting though he did ask me one time if I had any career ambitions

and when I said stage acting he simply said " no you don't want to do that" and thats all that was said about acting..He waned to be a everyday guy and that was impossible.

I have most of all his dvd's but most people I know have mentioned that TCM plays the least of his movies in compared to other actors and i can't ever rememeber seeing any variety of his films on TCM as I've seen of other stars...but it's here nor there as i'm sure they don't have access to them as they say.He was a wonderful kind and very gentle beautiful man and when he laughed it came from the heart. He's irreplaceable..Thanks for replying nice chatting back with you.

Joanie,

One of the problems with some of Brando's films is they were produced by 20th Century Fox which has its own movie channel. Up until just recently Fox was not as willing to work with TCM.

But recently according to TCMProgrammr (who title describes his job and he posts here with updates and answers questions) Fox has been more willing to work with them so perhaps that means in the future we will see more of Brando's Fox films.

For the record, TCM has to rent all the films it shows. Some studios are easier to work with but lately TCM has been making great inroads with hold-outs like Fox, Universal and Paramount.

So there is hope!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings