Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Unsinkable Molly Brown

kimpunkrock

I seen this movie for the first time yesterday. I got the video for 2 bucks at the local over-priced DVD store here in Capitol Hill Seattle. I am not a big fan of the 60's musicals but this one was awesome.

I love the Tomboy dance Debbie does for the "Belly Up to the Bar" number. It is easy to see why this movie was her favorite. Also I love how they used scenes from *A Night To Remember* for the scenes of the titanic. I guess they also used scenes from *Titanic* but I could only pick out the footage from *A Night to Remember* .

Anyway I was wondering what everyone else thought of this film.

I loved it.

-

kim

Loved it ! Did you know Shirley MacLaine wanted to play Molly--and the producers went with Debbie after she sang Belly Up To the Bar, Boys...and convinced them she was born to play Molly. How About Harve Presnell? and his beautiful tenor voice ? Debbie kept the song in her act when she had her own club in Vegas.. and I had the pleasure to see her do it live...

You're lucky to have seen Debbie perform live. I'm glad she's enjoying her life after all the suffering she endured with Eddie Fisher. I also enjoyed this film because her character is explosive but at the same time naive. The funniest scene for me is when the money gets burned by accident. In the end she got her payback and her enemies were insignificant to all the real friends she made. Great story, glad you gave it a chance Kim.

• 2 weeks later...

The Unsinkable Molly Brown is a marvel. Arguably, it is Debbie's best role. I also love her in Singin in the Rain and Tammy and the Bachelor. Much had been made of the fact that Reynolds was much too young to actually be 'Molly Brown' - a true enough claim that nevertheless works in the actress's favor. The closest facsimile to the real Molly - according to archival photos - is Kathy Bates from James Cameron's Titanic (1997). But can you picture Kate doing all that high kicking at the bar?!?

The Unsinkable Molly Brown was begun at the tail end of the musical's popularity and mid-way through shooting the budget was slashed, necessitating those insertions of footage from "A Night To Remember" instead of actually restaging the sinking.

You may also notice that Molly's Pennsylvania Ave. abode is actually a redressed exterior from Meet Me In St. Louis (1944).

Presnell is superb. It's a pity his career high came at the musical's low. He should have done more wonder work on the big screen!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first time I saw this movie I was a kid--about a million years ago. I loved it then and love it still. I don't really have any interesting trivia facts to add--so I will just say that I love the scene where she is trying to figure out what to do with all the money when they make their first bundle of cash and pretends to "think like a robber" . Won't say what happens to the money in case someone reading this hasn't seen the movie....but what a crack up. It's my favorite part.

• 4 weeks later...

I love this movie but wish more of the songs from the stage show had been included, especially Chick-a-pen. One of the highlights for me is Debbie's reprise of I'll Never Say No, I just love her silky voice on this song!

jon

• 2 weeks later...

Loved this musical! Never saw it before, someone mentioned that the actor who played the dirt mean father in law in Fargo was in a musical and had to check it out.

Harve Presnell was a wonderful romantic lead - weird to reconcile this role with the kicking a** & taking names role in Fargo, but then, I guess that's why they call it "acting". Enjoyed Debbie Reynolds in this almost more than Singin in the Rain- love her raucous laugh- fits the raw no frills character.

Looking forward to it's next showing on TCM!

In the new bio on Doris Day, they stated that Day was up for the role of Molly Brown, but lost it when her prior released MGM musical JUMBO, failed at the box office. Although Reynolds gives it her all, I think Day would have been terrific in this role.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings