Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SCIENCE, NATURE, HISTORY & CULTURE

From 1958..RCA Victor invented the stereophonic record!

s-l1600.jpg

1-howstereowas.jpg

stylus-under-pressure.jpg

520337_8242357.jpg

The only LP I have from the Living Stereo time period.   Recorded December 4, 10 and 17 1959.

R-12166430-1529630694-6590.jpeg.jpg

Image from internet, mine is like new with better contrast - black is BLACK, Nipper is solid white.

mancini_1573214785_b61ac9f3_progressive.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

s-l1600.jpg

1-howstereowas.jpg

520337_8242357.jpg

The only LP I have from the Living Stereo time period.   Recorded December 4, 10 and 17 1959.

Believe RCA only carried the Living Stereo line for 4 years or so.

RCA liked the "living" moniker.  They used it on their TV color-encoding system (adopted as the US standard) on NBC, too.

• Thanks 1

Important technical note pertaining to PATENTS

Victor and later RCA Victor uses whats known as lateral needle modulation.

Thomas Edison used "Hill and Dale" or up and down needle modulation in both the cylinder and Diamond Disc.

To legally create a flat Diamond disc he had to change the speed to 80 RPM, made it much thicker and pressed on one side only so not to cause infringement.   Victor invented the disc but used lateral needle movement so not to infringe on Edison's cylinder

Notice the specially design head that's different from a standard 78 rpm Victrola.

maxresdefault.jpg

Trivia... Victor pressed the 16 inch Vitaphone disc which revolved at 33 rpm but was played inside out. See Youtube video below at the 7:00 and 8:30 time frame

Didn't require the higher 78 rpm (more mechanical energy) because of electronic amplifiers.

vitaphone-disc.jpg

This is why you see Victor (and Western Electric) logos on early talkies.

Remarkable audio quality considering this was the late  1920's! (if recorded properly)

Edited by hamradio
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, hamradio said:

s-l1600.jpg

1-howstereowas.jpg

520337_8242357.jpg

Image from internet, mine is like new with better contrast - black is BLACK, Nipper is solid white.

Around '62, I joined the RCA Victor Record Club so that I could get some "free" Henry Mancini records like "Peter Gunn" in Living Stereo.

Lo and behold, they turned out not to be so "free".😱

12 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Around '62, I joined the RCA Victor Record Club so that I can get some "free" Henry Mancini records like "Peter Gunn" in Living Stereo.

Lo and behold, they turned out not to be so "free".😱

What I remembered the selections were very cheap IF you fulfilled the agreement to buy a certain number of LP's , tapes over time.  If not, be billed the actual cost of the "free" LP's. or tapes.

I've joined such to get lower cost on tapes and even Laserdisc.

14307454586_221988c2a7_o_custom-f733bb48

Still have my membership card.

e3Qdgcm.jpg

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, hamradio said:

What I remembered the selections were very cheap IF you fulfilled the agreement to buy a certain number of LP's , tapes over time.  If not, be billed the actual cost of the "free" LP's. or tapes.

My parents didn't know about it until all these records started arriving.

I don't remember how I got out of all of it-- but I do remember I got a lot of records-- paying for them with my lunch money.🍎

19 minutes ago, hamradio said:

e3Qdgcm.jpg

Columbia House is still around.

https://www.columbiahouse.com/

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

My parents didn't know about it until all these records started arriving.

I don't remember how I got out of all of it-- but I do remember I got a lot of records-- paying for them with my lunch money.🍎

I say your parents contacted them if you were under legal age.  Minors can not be held to a legal contract hence the "Must be 18 or over to order" you see today.

WESTERN ELECTRIC WE4A PICKUP  and  D-86850 REPRODUCER

To get really technical.

http://www.amplitudemodulation.com.au/pickup.html

we4a.jpg

Both turntables are 78 rpm

matsui33jp-img1000x667-15175275313gliv71

matsui33jp-img1000x667-1517527532x8kzvf1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz-TPv_IpylfLyPRweqvd

img.axd?id=6040569557&wid=&p=&ext=&w=0&h

Trivia...You can just make out the player in the short "Dora's Dunking Donuts" (1933) at the radio station.  Can see the 2 lids opened on the left.

Snapshot 12:35 time frame

Doras-reproducer.png

Do I have a sharp eye or what? :D

Reason why I know about this machine is because my local theatre had one in the "non-sync" room.

On 1/1/2021 at 6:24 PM, hamradio said:

s-l1600.jpg

Remember the Living Stereo LP's - may even have a couple.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:24 PM, hamradio said:

I also joined the RCA record club, but quit after a couple of years.  Deals weren't that great and actually the record selection was not as well.  Also right costly for someone working at local drug store after school.

One thing was that folk records were becoming popular and only ones RCA had were The Limelighters, so got three of them.  Fairly good and actually different, but not all that popular.  Several years ago I came across a deal on three of their albums on CD and purchased them for nostalgia's sake.   Mainly got a few classical albums and movie soundtracks.

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

Remember the Living Stereo LP's - may even have a couple.

I also joined the RCA record club, but quit after a couple of years.  Deals weren't that great and actually the record selection was not as well.  Also right costly for someone working at local drug store after school.

One thing was that folk records were becoming popular and only ones RCA had were The Limelighters, so got three of them.  Fairly good and actually different, but not all that popular.  Several years ago I came across a deal on three of their albums on CD and purchased them for nostalgia's sake.   Mainly got a few classical albums and movie soundtracks.

I initially joined the RCA Victor Record Club to get Henry Mancini's TV and movie music.

But I played the piano and I discovered a great pop/ jazz pianist on RCA, Peter Nero.

Did you get any of his records?

54 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I initially joined the RCA Victor Record Club to get Henry Mancini's TV and movie music.

But I played the piano and I discovered a great pop/ jazz pianist on RCA, Peter Nero.

Did you get any of his records?

Not Nero, but several of Mancini's.  I later waited for Ray Conniff or Percy Faith to do collections of movie themes.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Not Nero, but several of Mancini's.  I later waited for Ray Conniff or Percy Faith to do collections of movie themes.

My Mancini's 8 track tapes came from Readers Digest :huh: but it wasn't a club.  I didn't know 4 music selections ( not the main theme) was from Mr Lucky.  Was too young when that series was on TV - only vaguely remember the  main title fanfare.

20130510190605-DSCF5969__86181.155112190

71V8P6JZyfL._AC_SX466_.jpg

I have  Ray Conniff and one Percy Faith which had to be replace with an LP. (wore it out) Came from the Columbia House club.

il_794xN.2307224334_2c2c.jpg

R-5079305-1468462687-8105.jpeg.jpg

On any 8 tracks even NOS unopened, strongly advise to reinforce the sensor splice with transparent Scotch tape from the back side (not that hard - make certain fingers are clean)

2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

My Mancini's 8 track tapes came from Readers Digest :huh: but it wasn't a club.  I didn't know 4 music selections ( not the main theme) was from Mr Lucky.  Was too young when that series was on TV - only vaguely remember the  main title fanfare.

20130510190605-DSCF5969__86181.155112190

71V8P6JZyfL._AC_SX466_.jpg

I have  Ray Conniff and one Percy Faith which had to be replace with an LP. (wore it out) Came from the Columbia House club.

il_794xN.2307224334_2c2c.jpg

R-5079305-1468462687-8105.jpeg.jpg

On any 8 tracks even NOS unopened, strongly advise to reinforce the sensor splice with transparent Scotch tape from the back side (not that hard - make certain fingers are clean)

I have replaced the LP's and tapes I liked with new CD's.  Receive a couple of catalogs every month or so selling CD's remastered from the old LP's.  Finally broke down a few years ago and threw out the 8 track player/recorder that I got while I was in Vietnam.  Used it to make 8 tracks from LP's for my cars.

19 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I have replaced the LP's and tapes I liked with new CD's.  Receive a couple of catalogs every month or so selling CD's remastered from the old LP's.  Finally broke down a few years ago and threw out the 8 track player/recorder that I got while I was in Vietnam.  Used it to make 8 tracks from LP's for my cars.

I purchased my last Panasonic RS 856 8 track player / recorder during the 1990's at Radio Shack. Still in mint condition and attached to my stereo's "Contact movie" Optimus equalizer's tape input #2.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_EKpYUtmLEWMH_wV9YwG

Edited by hamradio
Rephrased
  • Like 1

A certain fuzzy of my acquaintance has a spreadsheet of his purchases of cassettes and video tapes from Columbia. It shows that buying only the initial offering and the minimum requirement results in paying from sixty-eight to seventy-seven percent of the normal retail price of the media. It was shipping costs which made these memberships a slightly-less-than-spectacular deal.

We looked at the current offerings of DVDs. It does not seem to be a good deal for us as we can purchase such titles for less than their 'introductory price' by shopping at a local chain store which specializes in previously-owned DVDs and video games. 

I got "Star Wars - The Force Awakens" on Ebay new for 9 bucks, even had free shipping.  Why join a club?  Will only pay a lot if the film is UNIQUE and can not be acquired any other way i.e. those from Flicker Alley.

UFO sighting: Mysterious Miami 'alien' sparks social media meltdown

June 2020

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/1301843/UFO-sighting-Miami-mystery-mysterious-alien-Florida-social-media-viral-latest

1301843.jpg

A new series on The History Channel "The Proof is Out There".

Analysis....

A Hoax!!

Man didn't react as one expected. Movement with the surrounding area and aircraft was off.

And  finally, Orbs was more likely made with a smartphone app! :wacko:

Keep the UFO crap coming!

57 minutes ago, SansFin said:

q6HUbAe.jpg

I think it was "Attacked From Above - Alien Invasion" on the National Geographic Channel mentioned the only way to defeat such an invasion was to use asymmetrical warfare against them.  One idea was to blast many manhole covers at the mother ship using it's kinetic energy to do damage.  Will get so tired fighting us will move on to a softer target (using spears and stones).

Another idea was a rail gun against the ground forces.

42207.jpg

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, SansFin said:

VdeZMTp.jpg

How many got cancer?  Reason the old "Duck and Cover" Civil Defense film was idiotic.  If you saw the nuclear flash, it's already too late because gamma and x-rays has done their damage.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg11WnpMXnyBETRDfM6GP

673f99e9-3071-43d3-9859-066e087ca2b5.jpe

Radiated turtle soup, yuck!

maxresdefault.jpg

Near the point of detonation, the lucky ones are those vaporized.

growing up we had this big ole magnavox HI-FI console in our living room. proudly stuck on the wood of the phonograph compartment was a sticker saying DIAMOND STYLUS.

that wooden monster sported like 3 huge woofers. 2 in the front and one side-firing with a cloth covering. the wooden cabinet produced awesome bass.

Mid Century Modern Hi Fi Stereo Console Magnavox AM/FM Turntable Record  Player Cabinet Danish Modern M⦠| Stereo console, Vintage stereo console,  Mid-century modern

the wooden panel at the center pulls over to the right to reveal an inside LP rack and at the bottom corner of the left speaker cloth is an orange light that indicates when the unit was on.

our living room walls would shake from the bass this thing would emanate.

:)

• Like 1