Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SCIENCE, NATURE, HISTORY & CULTURE

I still have one of those units but it's a Morse like this but has an 8 track mounted on the left side and record storage occupying the empty space between the tape player and turntable.  LP's fit vertically down inside cabinet in a plastic recess.. No longer play it but in mint condition.

maxresdefault.jpg

In the movie "Close Encounters of The Third Kind" just before the music communication scene, can see this Morse unit used as a prop mounted on a rack. Do need to pay close attention because it goes by quickly.

mid-century-morse-record-stereo-cabinet-

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

I think it was "Attacked From Above - Alien Invasion" on the National Geographic Channel mentioned the only way to defeat such an invasion was to use asymmetrical warfare against them.  One idea was to blast many manhole covers at the mother ship using it's kinetic energy to do damage.  Will get so tired fighting us will move on to a softer target (using spears and stones).

Another idea was a rail gun against the ground forces.

Kinetic energy rounds are the hardest to protect against but one A-Bomb per shot seems a bit expensive.

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

looking behind the LP rack you could see the tubes lit up in the back of the unit.

Mid Century Modern Hi Fi Stereo Console Magnavox AM/FM Turntable Record  Player Cabinet Danish Modern M⦠| Stereo console, Vintage stereo console,  Mid-century modern

Is  it like this?

12AX7 preamp, 2 - 6V6 in push pull config to drive speakers per channel and 5U4GB rectifier. Don't know what the extra shielded tube is for.

s-l1600.jpg

12 hours ago, hamradio said:

I still have one of those units but it's a Morse like this but has an 8 track mounted on the left side and record storage occupying the empty space between the tape player and turntable.  LP's fit vertically down inside cabinet in a plastic recess.. No longer play it but in mint condition.

maxresdefault.jpg

In the movie "Close Encounters of The Third Kind" just before the music communication scene, can see this Morse unit used as a prop mounted on a rack. Do need to pay close attention because it goes by quickly.

mid-century-morse-record-stereo-cabinet-

My parents console stereo (no TV) had a Civil Defense triangle marker on the AM radio dial.  It so happened to be the frequency for our two main local AM stations.  Growing up, I thought that was just something they put on there so you could easily find your local station.  I was an adult before I had heard of CONELRAD. 

27 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

My parents console stereo (no TV) had a Civil Defense triangle marker on the AM radio dial.  It so happened to be the frequency for our two main local AM stations.  Growing up, I thought that was just something they put on there so you could easily find your local station.  I was an adult before I had heard of CONELRAD. 

The Conelrad concept was laughable because a radio staion could go off the air by technical issues and the fear transmitters could be a homing beacon for Russian missiles.  WHICH transmitter is the missile going to lock on to....a child's walkie talkie in the middle of nowhere? :wacko:

I have this souvenir to remind me of how fear ruled instead of common sense.

cold-war-vintage-heathkit-model-ca_1_d6c

2 hours ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

FB_IMG_1610303110708.jpg

I'm running a little slow today. At first I see this picture, and because of the context of this thread , I think - Oh, look, Speaker Pelosi still writes things out longhand on a legal pad! No computer. Then I realize the joke is the horned insurrectionist's head mounted on the wall behind her.  Pardon me while I get some coffee.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

The joke is it's photo shopped thus what's funny? :wacko:

Now Abe Lincoln's portrait is a little crooked - for shame. 

:P

I get that it's photoshopped. I didn't think that was the REAL guy's head on her wall.

And Godzilla isn't real either. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LsDoorMat said:

I get that it's photoshopped. I didn't think that was the REAL guy's head on her wall.

And Godzilla isn't real either. 

When Nancy gets angry, who knows?

Didn't she wanted Trump's head? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mars 2020 Perseverance Rover to Capture Sounds From the Red Planet

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8834/mars-2020-perseverance-rover-to-capture-sounds-from-the-red-planet/

If a rock falls on Mars and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? 

How long will it become boring just to hear the wind (what little of it) blow? :wacko:

The sound of a pump - oh joy.

https://mars.nasa.gov/multimedia/sounds/mars/fluid-pump/mars/Sounds-of-Mars_rover-fluid-pump_Mars.mp4

• Haha 2
On 1/10/2021 at 1:07 AM, hamradio said:

All in one entertainment console. Take note TV was not broadcasting stereo then but gave excellent mono sound

repairing_a_vintage_magnavox_tv_x2.jpg

About 93 I had a huge entertainment center custom built.  Can't give it away.  TV in center, but nothing larger than a 39" wide screen.  Shelves on either side to hold CD's 

The bottom half was made with three drawers to hold a receiver, turntable, CD player, cable box.  Under that are four drawers to hold VHS tapes (now DVD's) and one big drawer to hold LP's (which we never play).

5 hours ago, SansFin said:

esd1a1B.jpg

My GC-1000 displayed 21:21:21 - the tenths of seconds  can only display 0-9.  Would have been nice to see 21:21:21:21 (if one can). How time fly. At the very point of sync  with WWV's atomic clock it is accurate +/- 1 second per billion years (give or take a couple milliseconds due to propagation delay. )

Can be set up for 12 or 24 hour mode and one can use WWV C.U.T. or offset.

yC8j11tsmy25IQYs0qHt847Mz6i1N_-NUrVExT7i

My  other clock built in 1975 also is set for 24 hours.

maxresdefault.jpg

Can NOT be set manually - requires WWV signal or it's just an expensive paperweight.

Can hear WWV time signal very clear. Top of the minute 00 starts data collection, the 1,000 hz beep. The low thump 100 hz is the data itself.  The GC-1000 need to collect and verify the data which takes 2 minutes with a clear signal with NO data lost.

The woman's voice is WWVH Hawaii.

Leap second insertion, last on December 31, 2016.  The ONLY time one can see :60 seconds

This is a satellite clock.

In my younger days, I wrote software that used time-indexed data, with the time indices at the millisecond level.  About 30% of the software I wrote was just getting all the data in the same time reference (UTC vs. UT1) and coordinate systems first, before doing anything meaningful with it.  We used GPS receivers with IRIG-B encoding to sync our computer clocks.

• Like 1