Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SCIENCE, NATURE, HISTORY & CULTURE

JakeHolman

6 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Didn't know a single computer can be virtually made into 2.  Someone at work was doing 2 separate jobs independent. Used HDMI and Display port.

dual-monitors.jpg

This is just extending your desktop across multiple monitors.  PCs have had this capability for quite some time.

We had workstations that did this in the 1980s.

All home computers multi-task and run multiple programs/applications simultaneously.   Your operating system (Windows, Mac iOS, whatever) is actually a program itself.  At any given time there's more than 100 processes in various states of execution even when you're not doing anything on the computer.    The operating system controls all of this.

10 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

This is just extending your desktop across multiple monitors.  PCs have had this capability for quite some time.

We had workstations that did this in the 1980s.

All home computers multi-task and run multiple programs/applications simultaneously.   Your operating system (Windows, Mac iOS, whatever) is actually a program itself.  At any given time there's more than 100 processes in various states of execution even when you're not doing anything on the computer.    The operating system controls all of this.

Yes I know about networking using separate terminals / computers connected to a mainframe but never 2 monitors in this fashion. Most computers I've encountered only had 1 port i.e. VGA.

12 hours ago, hamradio said:

Yes I know about networking using separate terminals / computers connected to a mainframe but never 2 monitors in this fashion. Most computers I've encountered only had 1 port i.e. VGA.

Wasn't talking about networking or timesharing.  Desktops spanning more than one monitor go back to the 80s on high end workstations.  We had ones similar to this Intergraph workstation, but with 25" monitors.

Intergraph 2700 Series Workstation | Rare & Old Computers

PCs have had multiple monitor port types since they started supporting HDMI in the early 2000s.  They retained VGA while adding HDMI, to support older VGA-only monitors.

We mostly know Julia Child from her cookbooks, TV shows but how many knew her early career was being a spy during WWII and help to create shark repellent.

How Julia Child Went From World War 2 Spy To Beloved Celebrity Chef

https://allthatsinteresting.com/julia-child-spy

DCUvUwkXsAEF4rE?format=jpg&name=small

Julia Child cooked shark repellent for troops during WWII

https://nypost.com/2015/07/21/julia-child-cooked-shark-repellent-for-troops-during-wwii/

inset-top-left-portrait-smart-template2.

By the way she had no recipes for Hákarl (rotted / fermented shark) if anyone's wondering.

rotten-1024x683.jpg

;)

On 2/17/2022 at 1:31 PM, JakeHolman said:

If some fans wonder why "Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan" could have been a little better SPX and prop wise, there was a tight constrictive budget.  The Reliant was simply an "upside down" star ship.  The lab at Regula 1 stinks!