Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

early morning April 4th

tobitz

"early morning, April 4th, a shot rang out in the Memphis sky"

I know it's not movie related, but thought I'd mention it anyway. It was forty years ago today.

Bobby Kennedy was killed two months later, in early June.

uh...let's see...Hitchcock was in the early stages of Topaz....

I was attending Jr College. On the day after Kennedy was taken from us, it was my turn in speech class. Our teacher, a sometime abrasive and much feared virago ("Oh, by the way, are there any high-school debaters here? I just LOVE high school debaters," she said on the first day of class. There must have been 50 people there on day one. On the second day there were 15.) gave a fiery 15-minute oratory on how disgusted she was that Kennedy had been shot. She then gave up the podium and said, "Who's next?" I timidly mounted the podium and gave some presentation on a short story by James Joyce. She liked it so much that she issued an accolade that still rings in my years. Coming from her was amazing enough ... but on such a day.

lol, kim, I'm afraid I don't qualify as a "young people today." 1968 wasn't a good year for me for a number of reasons, but I certainly remember it. I think I discovered U2 with "Pride (In the Name of Love)" actually. Went out and got a copy of the live "Under a Blood Red Sky" and proceeded to get every U2 album I could lay my hands on. I do think it's amazing that The Clash sound almost mainstream after all these years.

I do hope everybody of any age caught U2's performance at halftime of the January 2002 Super Bowl. They did an amazing version of "Where the Streets Have No Name" before a billowing rotating backdrop of every person killed in 9/11, done as a tribute. At the climax, Bono displays the lining of his jacket, as a flag, red, white and blue. I may not be the most patriotic person in the world, but that almost makes me cry every time I see it. The NFL Network shows a rerun of that Super Bowl once or twice a year, halftime included, but I wish I could find the video of it on the net.

ah, Lee Majors in "Francis Gary Powers: The True Story of the U-2 Spy Incident" (1976) (TV). Directed by Delbert Mann. Afraid I missed that one.

I will admit a brief brain **** while watching Operation:Crossbow a couple weeks ago. For a minute I mixed up the U-2 spy plane and the V-2 rocket and felt confused. I blame U2 since they're from the UK and I'd been watching all those blitz movies.

ah, Lee Majors in "Francis Gary Powers: The True Story of the U-2 Spy Incident" (1976) (TV). Directed by Delbert Mann. Afraid I missed that one.

I will admit a brief brain **** while watching Operation:Crossbow a couple weeks ago. For a minute I mixed up the U-2 spy plane and the V-2 rocket and felt confused. I blame U2 since they're from the UK and I'd been watching all those blitz movies.

And what about the catchy motto of the Francis Gary Powers Flight School: "U-2 Can Learn to Fly!"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings