Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

some POSITIVE News...for a change

Small plane lands on Lake Shore Drive, no injuries reported

A small propeller plane used Lake Shore Drive as a runway Friday afternoon on the South Side.

Shortly before 3:30 p.m., a plane landed in the 3800 block of South Lake Shore Drive, according to Chicago Police.

No injuries were reported, and the police department’s traffic unit was responding.

-----------------------------------------------------------

NBC ChicagoVerified account @nbcchicago 24m24 minutes ago

PHOTOS: Scene where small plane landed on Lake Shore Drive http://nbcchi.com/ENmzweK 

DjJCWc2U4AATQom.jpg

Adam BestVerified account @adamcbest 6h6 hours ago

Parents reject gay valedictorian, even made him do conversion therapy,

then kicked him out because he wouldn't attend their homophobic church.

His biology teacher set up a GoFundMe so he could afford to go to Georgetown.

It has raised over $115K so far!

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/rejected-parents-gay-valedictorian-going-college-50k-donors-n896296

:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/rejected-parents-gay-valedictorian-going-college-50k-donors-n896296

My bro-in-law is dating a guy that is hiding the fact that he is gay from his parents because they are paying for him to go to med-school.

I don't think that is right,   but yea, med-school is expensive so I understand the deception.

Maybe he should be open with his parents,  face the consequences (which would likely be the cutting off of support and being kicked out of their home),  and set up a GoFundMe account.

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

I just saw this story last night online.

This kind of religious fanaticism is hard for me to believe.

But today there are number of people caught up in these cult-like Evangelical groups that seem to be a bit off balance.

Growing up, all of the families that I knew who were particular friends of my family, all went to some kind of church or another.

Some of their kids of course screwed up, or went against their parents wishes and disappointed them, but they always stood behind their kids and tried to help them no matter what.

This kind of fanaticism where you abandon your own child is really sad.

Reportedly, when the student has all the money that he needs for his higher education, the fund will be handed over to other gay students who need financial assistance for higher education.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I just saw this story last night online.

This kind of religious fanaticism is hard for me to believe.

How many young (say under 30) gay people do you know?    I ask because I know about 10 (since my bro-in-law is gay, and I jam with a bunch of younger gay men once a week),  and I would say about half of them hide the fact they are gay from their parents.    

In fact the general advise in the community is to NOT date someone that isn't out of the closet because they have too much emotional baggage.   E.g. my 40 year old friend was dating a 20 something guy and when this guy finally came-out and his parents disowned him,  he physically attacked my friend for ruining his life.    

Note that most of these young gay men are NOT from the So Cal area of Laguna Beach where I live (a town that had an openly gay mayor 30 years ago),  but instead other areas of the country.  These men left homophobic areas for that very reason but sadly their parents haven't matured.   

5 good news stories that caught our eye

World Aug 29, 2018 2:34 PM EDT

In a tumultuous news cycle, a little good news can be a welcome change of pace. We’ve gathered some positive news stories from around the world,

like a Muslim woman in Myanmar who helps others stand out rather than keep a low profile,

a former Army Ranger who has learned what people in conflict countries really need,

and a restaurant in the UK that gives former inmates a second chance......

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/5-good-news-stories-that-caught-our-eye

• Thanks 1

The man who has spent nearly 40 YEARS planting a tree every day on a desolate Indian island and created a lush forest that's now home to tigers and 115 elephants

• Jadav Payeng lives on Majuli in Assam, India, which is the world's largest river island
  • He was alarmed by the erosion caused to the landscape by flooding and drought and started planting trees
  • The father-of-three planted his first tree in 1979 and now his forest covers 1,360 acres with a mix of foliage

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-6034573/Jadav-Payeng-spent-40-years-planting-tree-day-create-forest-Majuli-India.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2018 at 5:43 PM, mr6666 said:

Mark @brickonator Aug 14

There's a channel on youtube called Grandpa Kitchen and it's a happy old man cooking giant meals

that he then shares with a bunch of kids. It funds a bunch of food and literacy programs too.  :)

DknRFQtXcAAJ3ok.jpg

Sometimes he will only serve one.

hqdefault.jpg

NBC Chicago Retweeted

Students at @BremenNation are making sure that their classmates always have something to eat.

With a little help, they’ve installed a food pantry at the school for those that are less fortunate.

Check out their inspiring story tonight on @nbcchicago at 6! #makingadifference

Dtwc8pCXcAA2OKn.jpg
  • Like 1

Social Worker Led Frugal Life To Leave Nearly $11 Million To Children's Charities

Friends remember Washington state social worker Alan Naiman as being frugal. He wore old shoes held together with duct tape, bought his apparel at the grocery store, drove jalopies and ate at cheap restaurants. But when he died of cancer in January 2018, at age 63, the people around him learned that he had quietly saved millions for a higher cause.

Naiman left most of his $11 million estate to organizations serving abandoned, impoverished, sick and disabled children.

"He left it all to charities — mostly to kids, the section of society that couldn't really help themselves,"......

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/29/680883772/social-worker-led-frugal-life-to-donate-nearly-11-million-to-childrens-charities?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2059

NBC Nightly News with Lester HoltVerified account @NBCNightlyNews 24h24 hours ago

AHEAD: We go behind the scenes of Animal Planet’s Dog Bowl,

the time when “senior” dogs hit the gridiron in an effort to find their forever homes.

@KristenDahlgren introduces us to these adoptable pups on @NBCNightlyNews at 6:30 p.m. ET / 5:30 p.m. CT (check local listings).

====================================

Meet the N.J. dogs (and cats) taking a bite out of Puppy Bowl 2019,

plus senior dogs who will strut their stuff in Dog Bowl II

https://www.nj.com/expo/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/02/935831d0f4323/meet-the-nj-dogs-and-cats-taking-a-bite-out-of-puppy-bowl-2019-plus-senior-dogs-who-will-strut-their-stuff-in-dog-bowl-ii-.html

• Like 1

Local vet and pup hiking Appalachian Trail for a good cause

"He served three military tours overseas.   Now, local  veteran Michael Thorpe hopes that experience will come in handy as he and his dog hike the Appalachian Trail for a good cause.

Enlisting in the Marines and later the army, Thorpe’s military service spans more than 13 years and includes tours of duty in Fallujah and Afghanistan.   In 2013 he was medically discharged after receiving a diagnosis of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.  Suffering from nightmares and panic attacks Thorpe said having a canine companion has changed his life.........

The trek is a personal one.   He says his mission is to unwind while raising money and awareness for an organization he credits for giving him his life back.  

PAWS Assisting Wounded Warriors, or PAWWS, pairs veterans with a service dog for comfort and security. .....

https://wgntv.com/2019/03/22/local-vet-and-pup-hiking-appalachian-trail-for-a-good-cause/?fbclid=IwAR3TuksX4yshE9ZoniQtkW3URqiCB1DY0bmSnWMepDDIviZiQGc21hm3Z1A

GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/g9ruhg-pawws?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fb_dn_cpgnstaticsmall_r&fbclid=IwAR0Oa6gSLd2wSJTzvbz3rZZlYqKLXit5h0ise7d6dqVSxVeD_hpUaGVVfFs

NewsweekVerified account @Newsweek 2h2 hours ago

Beagles free to be adopted after thousands sign signature pushing chemical company to stop experimenting

....Corteva Agriscience said it would be releasing three dozen beagles that had been force-fed fungicides as part of chemical-testing experiments.

More than 100,000 people signed an online petition urging Corteva, the agriculture division of DowDuPont, to release the dogs into the care of the Humane Society. According to the animal rights group, any of the 36 beagles who survived tests at the Charles River Laboratories would have been euthanized come July unless the chemical company consented to their release. ...

The hounds, who were being held at the Charles River laboratory in Mattawan, Michigan, will be evaluated and then put up for adoption, .........

https://trib.al/tgqwSqN 

D27n2G2X4AU08oB.jpg

World's First Malaria Vaccine Launches In Sub-Saharan Africa

".....the first approved vaccine aimed at stopping a human parasite. It's for malaria — and the hopes are that one day the vaccine could save the lives of tens of thousands of children each year.

"This [rollout] is a massive success of the research community," says Dr. Pedro Alonso, who directs the Global Malaria Programme at the World Health Organization.

This vaccine — called RTS,S — is one of the few immunizations designed and launched specifically to help young children in Africa,

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/04/23/716378835/worlds-first-malaria-vaccine-launches-in-sub-saharan-africa?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190423

:D

• Like 3