Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

some POSITIVE News...for a change

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/enterthefray/la-ol-meghan-markle-prince-harry-baby-sussex-upbringing-20190506-story.html

Will Meghan Markle and Prince Harry raise their baby to be black?

So, Meghan Markle, the American biracial wife of Prince Harry, did it. She managed to have their baby (a boy) on her own terms. Which is to say, at an undisclosed location — although we all know the young British royal couple has been holed up at their Windsor home with the fairy tale name of Frogmore Cottage, we don’t know where she actually gave birth — and on an undisclosed timetable. We all found out about the birth when Harry and Meghan announced it on Instagram. (Buckingham Palace announced it too.)

Nor did Meghan submit to the postpartum photo call. There will be no pictures of her making a red carpet departure from a hospital, looking preternaturally polished in full makeup and hair while wearing a dress and high heels and carrying a newborn (as her sister-in-law Kate Middleton, the wife of Prince William, did with all three of her children’s births), but who could blame her for nixing such a ridiculous ritual just hours after a grueling delivery? Instead, she dispatched her giddily happy husband to meet the press outside Windsor Castle — a stable with horses in the back — to gush, appropriately, about how incredible his son and wife are.

But will the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, whose very marriage was a break from royal traditions, break with the tradition of British royal family life and raise their boy their way? He’ll learn plenty about his royal background, being seventh in line to the throne. What will he know about his American family? He’ll know he’s royal when photographers incessantly snap his picture at events. But I’m guessing that one of his first questions to his parents will be: Am I black? The answer: Yes, you are. And if he didn’t guess it from looking at his light-skinned mother, then he need only look at his maternal grandmother, Doria Ragland, who lives in Los Angeles.

An 8-year-old makes 'hero bags.' He's helped nearly 3,000 homeless veterans

He's only 8 years old, but Tyler Stallings has donated close to 3,000 bags packed with a hat, gloves, blanket, lip balm, a sweater, toothbrushes and toothpaste, soap and more.

He's helped many veterans and raised more than $50,000 in the past four years........

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/17/us/hero-bags-homeless-veterans-trnd/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_content=2019-11-17T23%3A40%3A04&utm_source=twCNN

:)

giphy.gif

• Like 2

fotonoticia_20180820135359_640_v2.jpg

Sergio Romero, a deaf and blind Spanish paraplegic, and his carer, Cristina Àlvarez Castellanos, have developed a sign language that has helped him communicate and hope to help many others who are in similar condition. The language, is called SERCRI, and as Castellanos explains, "is a mime based on touch".

Sergio Romero is currently studying Journalism and Documentation Science.

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/11/18/inenglish/1574081567_427313.html

Drive-thru ‘unicorn’ show brings a bit of magic to Illinois town, for a good cause

WAUCONDA, Ill. — After hearing food pantries were being depleted during the coronavirus pandemic, Vanessa Malo Kurzinksi wondered: how could her Wauconda horse farm be part of the solution? 

So she came up with a unique idea: offer something legendary for a can of soup.

“I thought, ‘I don’t want to charge admission at this time with so many people being out of work, but we could accept food donations!” Kurzinski said.

By that weekend, cars lined the dusty drive a quarter mile deep to see a mythical unicorn standing amongst a field of horses. 

“This past Sunday we had 171 cars come through,” Kurzinski said. “The kids were peering out, standing up out of sunroofs, hanging out their car windows.”

The spiral-horned beauty captivated kids by the carload while filling the trough with food..........

https://wgntv.com/news/features/drive-thru-unicorn-show-brings-a-bit-of-magic-to-illinois-town-for-a-good-cause/

:)

some POSITIVE News...for a change

No suicides associated with the Neowise comet.

But on the downside no one seems to care about it anyway.

22108527_web1_200714-CDT-new-comet-1_1-1

“The Far Side” - Gary Larson,  Returns to a Weird World-

"........Gary Larson (no relation!), retired in 1995, after having been syndicated in more than nineteen hundred newspapers and selling more than forty million books. Then he disappeared almost entirely, like a funny-pages Salinger or Pynchon, busying himself with jazz guitar and presumably enjoying life. Larson didn’t publish another original “Far Side” cartoon for twenty-five years, until this month, when he published three, online.

.....Then came “The Far Side.” It was confidently modern and confidently weird. Within its single panel, its contents were entirely unpredictable: it had no recurring characters, no ongoing narrative other than life on earth. It could depict anyone or anything, and Larson seemed to take it all in, from office worker to water buffalo, chimpanzee to psychiatrist, Martian to snail. Its specificity alone, on the comics page, felt radical. So did its attention to the natural world. “Well, this may not be wise on a first date, but I just gotta try your garlic wharf rats,” a snake says in one cartoon, looking psyched. In another, called “Fly whimsy,” a fly, hovering over a picnic, says to a friend, “Wait a second, Leonard . . . I just wanna go down there, land on that potato salad, and take off again.” Squid children bickered over keeping tentacles to themselves; dinosaurs smoked cigarettes and went extinct.......

“The Far Side” quickly became a sensation. A scene in “Cheers,” another sensation of the era, begins with Woody saying, “I don’t get ‘The Far Side,’ ” and Cliff and Norm trying to explain it for him. (Later, a “Simpsons” gag had Homer flipping through a “Far Side” page-a-day calendar and going, “I don’t get it. I don’t get it. I don’t get it. I don’t get it.”) Some readers wrote letters to their local paper expressing horror at the strip’s brutality or obscurity, demanding that it be cancelled. Millions of others were rabid enthusiasts, buying books, calendars, greeting cards. ....

Larson created a kind of levelling empathy among creatures. “It all helps to put us humans in our place,” Jane Goodall wrote, after describing various “Far Side” cartoons of interspecies squashing. “And we desperately need putting in our place.”

This year, when we’ve been definitively put in our place, there’s something lovely, even encouraging, about the fact that Larson, who isolated himself from the public for so long, has humbly reëmerged, wanting to reëngage. ...........

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-far-side-returns-to-a-weird-world?utm_campaign=falcon&utm_social-type=owned&utm_brand=tny&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&mbid=social_twitter

:D

-LOVED & missed his weird stuff!!

bought his calendars every year

giphy.gif

The Far Side®

The Daily Dose

Selections of classic The Far Side comics, updated daily

https://www.thefarside.com/