Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

About DownGoesFrazier, aka "finance"

I just realized it was exactly a year ago today that a long-time member here posted for the last time. His screen poster name was "DownGoesFrazier", but before that, he was known as "finance", and it was mostly under that name that he participated here, for years.

The reason I wanted to create a thread about him was this: We regard ourselves, I think, as a community on these boards. The people who post here regularly, who contribute and respond and discuss and share opinions and jokes and ideas on this TCM message board, are part of a group. I know it's just an internet group, we don't really know one another, but it's still a kind of social community. So when someone who's been a long-term and very active member of that community suddenly just disappears from it, I think they deserve some kind of attention, or acknowledgement, or something.

"finance" was a very active member here; he posted just about every single day, a lot, on a lot of threads. His style was brief- he liked to post a lot, but all of his comments were very short. He liked to make little jokes, or "zingers", and he often contributed information about a film, or , just as often, asked a question about it. I did not always enjoy or agree with his posts, sometimes I even found him a bit annoying (but maybe we could say this about us all, once in a while), but I considered him to be one of the most engaged, active members here, and as such liked him, and certainly noticed when he stopped coming here.

I do not know why "finance" stopped posting here.It was very sudden; one day he was as active as ever on these boards, the next, nothing, complete silence. I believe if he could, he would still be participating here. To be honest, I think he must have died - either that, or experienced some kind of health problem that has rendered him no longer capable of posting.

I just think that when someone has been as fully engaged in a community, even a digitally maintained community, as finance was, they deserve some kind of acknowledgement. Otherwise, it kind of feels like all the time and thought and interaction with others here goes for nothing.  It's been a year now, so I thought this was a good time to do this.

So here's to you, DGF,  or "finance", as I knew you for most of the time you posted on this site. You were one of the first people I ever connected with here. You were proud of your short, pithy posts; you liked film noir, sports, and music. Your absence here has been noticed.

Thanks, everyone.

mw

• Like 10
  • Thanks 11

I think he has died also. I did notice he had been posting less often before he suddenly "disappeared." None of us knew any way about finding out about him. Our connections are tenuous here, sadly. I do miss him. I dont think he would've just left like that unless something happened to him.

DGF was one of my favorite posters. His humor was greatly appreciated, especially in the Off-Topics where it often seems like humor goes to die. I could also talk to him about music more than any other poster, as he had a wide-ranging taste and knowledge of musical genres. And he was a frequent and welcome presence in the Games & Trivia section.

I also miss Kid Dabb, who's now been gone about 17 months, and film lover 293, who's been M.I.A. since early December of last year.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

For years fiance/DGF was one of the most reliable contributors to these boards.

He frequently made reference to his spinning classes at a local gym which he regularly (perhaps even daily?) attended, and proudly spoke of his low body fat. Truly, one never knows what can be just around the corner if, indeed, the speculation about his passing is correct.

If it isn't correct, however, and DGF has the opportunity to read this, I hope he realizes that he is missed, along with all those pithy one liners.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I also miss Kid Dabb, who's now been gone about 17 months, and film lover 293, who's been M.I.A. since early December of last year.

Along with those I'd also like to say that I miss the thoughtful, gentlemanly contributions of mrroberts, who has been missing from these boards since September, 2016.

• Like 4

Sometimes people just get bored with the boards and move on. There are so many people here, sometimes I don't notice they ARE gone (Kid Dabb etc.) but finance posted so often daily, it was hard not to notice.

Look back on the history of the boards, we have lost about 95%+ of members.  Few stated they were leaving because of harassment, personal attacks.  Lost many of the original 1995 - 2007 members due to flame wars.

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Sometimes people just get bored with the boards and move on. There are so many people here, sometimes I don't notice they ARE gone (Kid Dabb etc.) but finance posted so often daily, it was hard not to notice.

Right Hibi, people come and go here. Sometimes we get  people who post here a lot for a while, and then stop altogether....

But I don't believe "finance"' ( that's how I think of him, not by his more recent poster name) was one of those. I don't believe he got bored with this site and just stopped. He posted here for years and years. I'm sorry to say, I think nothing short of serious illness or death itself would have stopped him from coming here.

5 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Right Hibi, people come and go here. Sometimes we get  people who post here a lot for a while, and then stop altogether....

But I don't believe "finance"' ( that's how I think of him, not by his more recent poster name) was one of those. I don't believe he got bored with this site and just stopped. He posted here for years and years. I'm sorry to say, I think nothing short of serious illness or death itself would have stopped him from coming here.

Yes, I have to agree. He'll always be finance to me! 

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Look back on the history of the boards, we have lost about 95%+ of members.  Few stated they were leaving because of harassment, personal attacks.  Lost many of the original 1995 - 2007 members due to flame wars.

Makes sense.  As a board owner you get what you put into it.

39 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

DGF was one of my favorite posters. His humor was greatly appreciated, especially in the Off-Topics where it often seems like humor goes to die. I could also talk to him about music more than any other poster, as he had a wide-ranging taste and knowledge of musical genres. And he was a frequent and welcome presence in the Games & Trivia section.

Yes, I have noticed filmlover293 gone as well.

41 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I miss FredCDobbs. RIP. :(

photo-thumb-9473.jpg

Yes, but as you know ham, at least in Fred's case we did come to learn of the reason for his absence.

(...and thanks MissW for remembering ol' DGF here...I thought of him just yesterday, in fact)

• Like 1

I remember when Finance changed his name to DGF. He was always funny and very polite. I miss him.

A thread like this reminds me how much we learn from one another while posting about movies, and the friendships we make. I still miss FredCDobbs who was very influential.

When I started a poster named HollyGoLightly was most welcoming. One day she sent me a message and told me I should post in areas outside General Discussions. We had a forum called Hot Topics then, which I never looked at. Soon I was branching out and engaging in more discussions. Holly would send me reviews she wrote before she published them on the CFU. Her best one was something she wrote after seeing Tim Burton's ALICE IN WONDERLAND. She loved Burton's films.

Lzcutter went to the same film school I did, during different years. But whenever I have had a technical type question about editing or filmmaking in general, she's been a valuable source of information. Lz also invited me to check out the Silver Screen Oasis, and so did Moira. Moira knew I loved British noir so she would email MP3 files of movies she had copied from YouTube so I could broaden my knowledge about those British classics.

MCanady is a sweetheart and she also sends British films to me by snail mail. She likes to keep her husband busy, so she has him make discs and he sends them to me whenever I want to see a title she has on hand. MCanady and I are both huge fans of Sylvia Sidney, so I was able to see a lot of the those Paramount precodes Sylvia Sidney made, thanks to MCanady and her husband. 

Pete (a.k.a. GinnyFan) has always made time when I have a question about Virginia Weidler. I've posted on his Facebook page about Ginny. Once when I was moving across country I missed a rare TCM broadcast of BORN TO SING, so he sent a copy to me. I still have it.

I email occasionally with Rayban who is a very lovely person and an excellent reviewer of films. I private message almost everyday with Jlewis, and we talk about classic film and classic TV. We're both fans of Elizabeth Montgomery.

Spence sends me messages when he isn't having problems with the website. Marsha, a great poster in the Games & Trivia forum, sends me emails about once a month. We're both fans of Woody Allen films. Marsha has vast knowledge of Broadway musicals. So knowing her has increased my knowledge in that area.

On the various threads I interact daily with Lawrence who has knowledge across genres and has probably seen more classic movies than god. And there are so many others like Swithin whose posts I look forward to reading each day, because they are insightful and remind me that despite occasional differences of opinion, this is a really great online community. So when we start to miss someone like Finance/DGF, we don't miss them a little bit. We miss them a lot.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Not to be morbid, but I tend toward the big sleep theory too. At first, I thought

DGF  might be on a vacation, but after a month or so that seemed less plausible. 

And being the prolific poster he was, it seemed unusual he would stop so suddenly.

Maybe my memory is bad, but didn't he post from the library, and libraries rarely

go out of "business." On a sunnier note, he's still number one in posts by a fairly

large margin. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I too miss DGF. He had a very dry sense of humor, which I appreciated. He and I once had a wonderful exchange about going dancing at the Mudd Club in Tribeca, in the early 1980s. That meant a lot to me. There were many sides to our DGF.

DGF was not Irish.  He was a Jewish-American, like me. Nevertheless, I post this song as a tribute to him and to his home town. (I find there are similar sentiments in the old Irish and Jewish songs; I just don't know any Jewish songs about Philly.)

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I think so! (libraries). Yeah, it would be hard to beat his post level. LOL.

Some poor kid who wanted to do his homework had to wait while DGF did one

liners on this forum. :) Kind of strange to do it at the library, but to each their

own. I also enjoyed his stories about the senior condo he lived in. 

• Like 1

Yes, there are a few others that are gone now.  Whether just gone from these boards or gone from this existence I can't be sure.

There WAS one member, a retired nurse if I recall correctly, and a HUGE John Garfield fan that died about a half year after I joined these forums. But we had heard about her passing, so it's not the same as DGF.  And too, I wonder what happened to a member known as MADIGAN2, but as I also recall, she was believed to be in her 80's, so I try not to think of what HER possibility might be.

But I too do miss DGF and kidding him about his "spinning" obsession,  And can best hope his stationary bike didn't slip off it's stand and "spin" him into heavy traffic   :D  (and sorry DGF, wherever you are....couldn't resist  ;) )

Sepiatone 

22 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I just realized it was exactly a year ago today that a long-time member here posted for the last time. His screen poster name was "DownGoesFrazier", but before that, he was known as "finance", and it was mostly under that name that he participated here, for years.

The reason I wanted to create a thread about him was this: We regard ourselves, I think, as a community on these boards. The people who post here regularly, who contribute and respond and discuss and share opinions and jokes and ideas on this TCM message board, are part of a group. I know it's just an internet group, we don't really know one another, but it's still a kind of social community. So when someone who's been a long-term and very active member of that community suddenly just disappears from it, I think they deserve some kind of attention, or acknowledgement, or something.

"finance" was a very active member here; he posted just about every single day, a lot, on a lot of threads. His style was brief- he liked to post a lot, but all of his comments were very short. He liked to make little jokes, or "zingers", and he often contributed information about a film, or , just as often, asked a question about it. I did not always enjoy or agree with his posts, sometimes I even found him a bit annoying (but maybe we could say this about us all, once in a while), but I considered him to be one of the most engaged, active members here, and as such liked him, and certainly noticed when he stopped coming here.

I do not know why "finance" stopped posting here.It was very sudden; one day he was as active as ever on these boards, the next, nothing, complete silence. I believe if he could, he would still be participating here. To be honest, I think he must have died - either that, or experienced some kind of health problem that has rendered him no longer capable of posting.

I just think that when someone has been as fully engaged in a community, even a digitally maintained community, as finance was, they deserve some kind of acknowledgement. Otherwise, it kind of feels like all the time and thought and interaction with others here goes for nothing.  It's been a year now, so I thought this was a good time to do this.

So here's to you, DGF,  or "finance", as I knew you for most of the time you posted on this site. You were one of the first people I ever connected with here. You were proud of your short, pithy posts; you liked film noir, sports, and music. Your absence here has been noticed.

Thanks, everyone.

mw

If it helps you feel any better MissW, this is just a thought, finance did post towards the end that his intention was when he reached 50,000 posts he was planning on  leaving the bds. He posted that after he had reached the 50,000 mark. I don't know the thread he posted that in, maybe there is a way to access his posts and look for that post.

I do miss him and wish that he would return to the bds. and I also wish if he left intentionally he would have written that he was leaving. Those of us who have known him for a long time have thought of him frequently. I did notice in trivia that he was posting less and less in the last months before he left. Trivia is where he first showed up. he joined the bds., about a year after I did, I think. He questioned me a lot when he first joined the bds. about one of his favorite films, Marty. He shared a bit of his personal info with me thru pm's over the years. I hope that he's OK and I hope that at some point he returns to the bds.

If you're out there and reading the bds Finance (DGF),  we all miss you.

• Like 3

One of my favourite posters on these boards remains to be Lori, who we lost in 2012.

A devoted fan of John Garfield, she was a sensitive writer who started a campaign to try to get Warners Home Video to release a Garfield DVD box set through a write-in poll. She was also in contact with Garfield's daughter, Julie, as part of that campaign, as well.

Lori was also a kind, generous soul, surprisingly me once by sending me a beautiful e-magazine, which had a large section in it devoted to The Breaking Point, a film I had championed on these boards before TCM had first shown it. It became one of her favourite Garfield films after she saw it.

It was a genuine shock when we suddenly lost her, as related to us by ginnyfan. I still miss Lori, but a part of her is still with us inasmuch as her touching tribute to her film favourite is still posted on You Tube.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

If it helps you feel any better MissW, this is just a thought, finance did post towards the end that his intention was when he reached 50,000 posts he was planning on  leaving the bds. He posted that after he had reached the 50,000 mark. I don't know the thread he posted that in, maybe there is a way to access his posts and look for that post.

I do miss him and wish that he would return to the bds. and I also wish if he left intentionally he would have written that he was leaving. Those of us who have known him for a long time have thought of him frequently. I did notice in trivia that he was posting less and less in the last months before he left. Trivia is where he first showed up. he joined the bds., about a year after I did, I think. He questioned me a lot when he first joined the bds. about one of his favorite films, Marty. He shared a bit of his personal info with me thru pm's over the years. I hope that he's OK and I hope that at some point he returns to the bds.

If you're out there and reading the bds Finance (DGF),  we all miss you.

I hadnt known that about the 50,000 posts. Maybe he's still out there. But somehow I dont think so.