Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

About DownGoesFrazier, aka "finance"


Recommended Posts

Thanks for starting this thread, misswonderly.  I miss him very much and this board is a lot less entertaining without him.  I also think about Kid Dabb every once in a while - such a nice man who started great threads. 

Over time I was able to catch glimpses of DGF that went beyond his one-liners - I think he would have been a really interesting person to know offline. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TomJH said:

One of my favourite posters on these boards remains to be Lori, who we lost in 2012.

A devoted fan of John Garfield, she was a sensitive writer who started a campaign to try to get Warners Home Video to release a Garfield DVD box set through a write-in poll. She was also in contact with Garfield's daughter, Julie, as part of that campaign, as well.

Lori was also a kind, generous soul, surprisingly me once by sending me a beautiful e-magazine, which had a large section in it devoted to The Breaking Point, a film I had championed on these boards before TCM had first shown it. It became one of her favourite Garfield films after she saw it.

It was a genuine shock when we suddenly lost her, as related to us by ginnyfan. I still miss Lori, but a part of her is still with us inasmuch as her touching tribute to her film favourite is still posted on You Tube.

 

THAT'S the lady I was mentioning.  Thanks Tom.

As for Madigan, I have her e-mail address in my "address book", but so far just used it to forward some things.  Now I guess I'll send an e-mail inquiring her status and see what happens.  As nothing I've forwarded ever came back as "undeliverable" I guess I assumed everything was OK with her.

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites

     I'm not a frequent poster on this board although I do read it almost every day. I miss "finance" along with "fred dobbs". Their posts were very interesting and insightful. I also miss "joe/bansi/mongo". I hope he's doing ok. There hasn't been any word from him in ages I know he was suffering from Parkinson's. His candids forum was the first forum I would look at each day.  Another old poster I thought of was "prince saliano". The forum on Universal films brought back memories of him as he was a big fan of the Carl Laemmle Universal films.

    

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2018 at 11:08 AM, hamradio said:

Look back on the history of the boards, we have lost about 95%+ of members.  Few stated they were leaving because of harassment, personal attacks.  Lost many of the original 1995 - 2007 members due to flame wars.

I've been a member since September 2007, so could you please enlighten me. What flame wars? All I can remember is somebody named bio47, who after he told probably a little too much about himself, was cyber bullied by somebody named Magnavoice in a way that would not be tolerated on these  boards today. That was in the early part of 2008. I also remember two posters named Snorkey and CelluloidKid who used to get snarky with people in general. They would just take over a thread and if somebody posted  a complaint they would reply with an insult. Is that what you are talking about or is it something even earlier than that?

I know I miss PrinceSaliano and Marcbeckauf (sp???), but they seemed to be into the really old movies and I think TCM got a little too modern for them. I didn't get the impression that they were older.

If these boards were around in 1995, when TCM was still competing with AMC, that must have been a fun bunch of discussions, back when they were not limited to films that had been digitized. I know I have some copies of some old Clara Bow movies from the 1990s when TCM did a tribute to her, which is something that I doubt they would do today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I've been a member since September 2007, so could you please enlighten me. What flame wars? All I can remember is somebody named bio47, who after he told probably a little too much about himself, was cyber bullied by somebody named Magnavoice in a way that would not be tolerated on these  boards today. That was in the early part of 2008. I also remember two posters named Snorkey and CelluloidKid who used to get snarky with people in general. They would just take over a thread and if somebody posted  a complaint they would reply with an insult. Is that what you are talking about or is it something even earlier than that?

I know I miss PrinceSaliano and Marcbeckauf (sp???), but they seemed to be into the really old movies and I think TCM got a little too modern for them. I didn't get the impression that they were older.

I think some posters came here without intending to become part of the family. They may have been moved by something they saw on TCM and wanted to write something, then stayed for a while, then left. So it's not uncommon that a board like this has had many "transients." Regarding the "flame wars," I don't remember them -- only the occasional nasty poster, who then either got banned or calmed down or just left. I remember a few. I think we even have a few who changed their names and are still here, in more civilized guise.

I too miss Prince Saliano and his love for the old horror films.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much misswonderly for this touching thread.

I had been watching TCM for several years before I even glanced at the website.
Then I became an infrequent lurker for a few years before I made my first post here.
I am not a regular by any means, and I have sometimes not posted for many months at a time.
I never gave it any serious thought that I might actually be missed by anyone here if I vanished...
But I was touched by a few here when I first joined... and have been by several more since that time.

One of the first persons to respond to me here was Kyle in Hollywood. It saddened me deeply when I read of his passing. lzcutter (who for many years I thought was male) was also one of those early ones. Thankfully, she is still around (at least I saw one of her posts in January this year), though I don't believe that she posts as much as she used to here. 

Good ole Dobsy was such a character. I really enjoyed him, he was such a fixture... a constant. I miss his presence here.
So many names mentioned in this thread have brought back memories. Especially the namesake DGF (formerly Finance). 
I sometimes notice the absence of a poster and wonder about them.
A few others come to mind that haven't posted for awhile. I haven't seen a post from rohanaka since last October, nor fxreyman since last November. That's only a few months so perhaps no great concern.
On the positive side I became concerned when AndyM108 who was/is quite the movie nut, and used to post quite regularly suddenly stopped posting I think in Oct. of 2016. Then over a year later I saw a post from him in Nov. 2017. And then not again until mid April this year. So I am thinking that Andy must be alright, and perhaps he just has better things to do with his time than make posts here. At least I am hoping so.

Lord only knows for sure, but until I find out something different I am choosing to believe that about DGF as well.
Maybe he won the lottery. Or met this hot number at the library (or at his knitting class) and fell madly in lust, or love, or some such.
Anyway, he is off doing something more constructive or adventurous with his life than dwelling here everyday.
At least that is what I want to believe! ;):)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I've been a member since September 2007, so could you please enlighten me. What flame wars? All I can remember is somebody named bio47, who after he told probably a little too much about himself, was cyber bullied by somebody named Magnavoice in a way that would not be tolerated on these  boards today. That was in the early part of 2008. I also remember two posters named Snorkey and CelluloidKid who used to get snarky with people in general. They would just take over a thread and if somebody posted  a complaint they would reply with an insult. Is that what you are talking about or is it something even earlier than that?

I know I miss PrinceSaliano and Marcbeckauf (sp???), but they seemed to be into the really old movies and I think TCM got a little too modern for them. I didn't get the impression that they were older.

If these boards were around in 1995, when TCM was still competing with AMC, that must have been a fun bunch of discussions, back when they were not limited to films that had been digitized. I know I have some copies of some old Clara Bow movies from the 1990s when TCM did a tribute to her, which is something that I doubt they would do today.

 

A flame war is a heated argument between two individuals, that results in those involved posting personal attacks on each other during or instead of debating the topic at hand. 

The worst was about Jane Fonda. One poster Met_____ever (don't want to use the many times banned posters name) once wrote a quite "eloquent" 2 page attack using words (not profanity) I've never heard of before. I saved that one as a clipboard file, just looked at it and the thread was called Amusing early movies that had racism and stereotypes

2 other poster really went after each other - wow! :wacko::lol:

Back then there were no "Off Topic" forum here and what's talked about here, religion, politics was forbidden.

Edited by hamradio
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hamradio said:

 

A flame war is a heated argument between two individuals, that results in those involved posting personal attacks on each other during or instead of debating the topic at hand. 

The worst was about Jane Fonda. One poster Met_____ever (don't want to use the many times banned posters name) once wrote a quite "eloquent" 2 page attack using words (not profanity) I've never heard of before. I saved that one as a clipboard file, just looked at it and the thread was called Amusing early movies that had racism and stereotypes

2 other poster really went after each other - wow! :wacko::lol:

Back then there were no "Off Topic" forum here and what's talked about here, religion, politics was forbidden.

Oh, I know what a flame war is. I just didn't remember any particular flame wars. I don't remember the Jane Fonda posts or the "amusing early movies" thread.  The longest thread I remember was "Seeking Hollywood Revue of 1929" that took on a life of its own. It started out about somebody trying to find the movie Hollywood Revue of 1929 and then turned into a museum of early talkie material.

The "Off Topic" forum was a streak of genius. It gives people a place to vent all kinds of unusual opinions as long as they don't get profane and keeps it out of the other forums. Thanks for answering anyways.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Speaking of missing posters, where is Film Lover 293?

I mentioned him earlier in this thread as also being MIA. I sent him a PM back in December and it has not been read by him. He's been gone for 5 months now. He'd said that the newest upgrade to the site was bad for him, so I hope he's just grown frustrated and stopped visiting, and nothing more morbid. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2018 at 1:56 PM, calvinnme said:

 

The "Off Topic" forum was a streak of genius. It gives people a place to vent all kinds of unusual opinions as long as they don't get profane and keeps it out of the other forums. Thanks for answering anyways.

Yes, that forum is kind of like Bourbon Street. If you've ever walked along that street, you'll know what I mean.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scsu1975 said:

Yes, that forum is kind of like Bourbon Street. If you've ever walked along that street, you'll know what I mean.

Covered in vomit and echoing with incoherent ranting?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I mentioned him earlier in this thread as also being MIA. I sent him a PM back in December and it has not been read by him. He's been gone for 5 months now. He'd said that the newest upgrade to the site was bad for him, so I hope he's just grown frustrated and stopped visiting, and nothing more morbid. 

I hope he looks in and knows he is missed. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I mentioned him earlier in this thread as also being MIA. I sent him a PM back in December and it has not been read by him. He's been gone for 5 months now. He'd said that the newest upgrade to the site was bad for him, so I hope he's just grown frustrated and stopped visiting, and nothing more morbid. 

I know filmlover 293 slightly and sometimes see him at the film festivals. My understanding is that he now has a very demanding job which cuts into his free time, and he is also working on a book. His thread several years ago about 1939 day by day, using newspaper articles and reviews, is one of the best ever. Fortunately, he is alive and well.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It's great to remember all of these people who brought such individual and valuable perspectives to this website.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2018 at 9:55 AM, Stephan55 said:

Thank you so much misswonderly for this touching thread.
I sometimes notice the absence of a poster and wonder about them.
A few others come to mind that haven't posted for awhile. I haven't seen a post from rohanaka since last October, nor fxreyman since last November. That's only a few months so perhaps no great concern.

Thanks for remembering me!!! I still am here, I just do not post often.

I have new responsibilities at my job and a switch in hours so my time here is spent mostly reading new posts. I too miss Kyle, Fred and Finance. They were great contributors to the board ans will always be missed. Also gone missing for sometime now is MissGoddess, FrankGrimes, Cinemaven, Wendy and Arturo, to name a few.

As far as the so-called "Flame Wars", the most hotly debated subject was started under the thread titled "Heinz 57". The poster who almost got this message board shut down was none other than a poster named HollyGoLightly who before using that name was known as Cinemascope and Film_Fatale. He/She must have posted a total of almost 100,000 posts using those three names. She even threatened legal action against TCM at one point which was totally un-called for. Of the previous posters I just named, most were involved in the Heinz 57 thread.

 

On 4/29/2018 at 9:55 AM, Stephan55 said:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, fxreyman said:

Thanks for remembering me!!! I still am here, I just do not post often.

I have new responsibilities at my job and a switch in hours so my time here is spent mostly reading new posts. I too miss Kyle, Fred and Finance. They were great contributors to the board ans will always be missed. Also gone missing for sometime now is MissGoddess, FrankGrimes, Cinemaven, Wendy and Arturo, to name a few.

As far as the so-called "Flame Wars", the most hotly debated subject was started under the thread titled "Heinz 57". The poster who almost got this message board shut down was none other than a poster named HollyGoLightly who before using that name was known as Cinemascope and Film_Fatale. He/She must have posted a total of almost 100,000 posts using those three names. She even threatened legal action against TCM at one point which was totally un-called for. Of the previous posters I just named, most were involved in the Heinz 57 thread.

Hey Rey, so good to hear that you are still alive and doing well.
Would be nice if some of the others mentioned in this thread would check in as well.
They wouldn't have to stay long if they didn't want to, just say'n "Hi" means a lot for peace of mind.
Thanks so much buddy, and bringing back some lively memories of Holly and the gang! :rolleyes::lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally appreciate your post about DownGoesFrazier, Miss Wonderly, who I always enjoyed bantering with at this site.

I loved having fake fights with DGF over things like if Dick Clark and Philadelphia were rock and roll legends or not,  and other things. He had a great sense of humor and I am going to hope he is just taking a very long breather, but if you are right about his demise, his contributions are and will be eternally missed.

I don't want anyone here to die since I refuse to die. I feel it would make too many people online and in my orbit happy, and I never try to be that pleasing. Hopefully just like Mark Twain, the reports of DGF's demise are greatly exaggerated...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...