Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ov10fac

Black Screen when trying to watch Live Now

I am a COX subscriber, I use Ubuntu and Chrome.  When I try to watch a live stream all I get is a black screen.  It shows me signed in and everything seem OK, but no movie.

Thanks.

This happened to me once on Chrome..I closed the tab, restarted my pc, opened it back up..and everything worked.  I have no idea if it was a pc glitch on my part or what...also found signing into my provider (for me it's directv) kick-starts things..it's like they forget you.

This may or may not be the source of your problem, but if one is signed in, and yet has not made sure that their browser "PRIVACY" settings are set to "ACCEPT ALL THIRD PARTY COOKIES" when attempting to watch any ON-DEMAND or LIVE STREAM from TCM (exception is the short intro's and clips) a BLACK SCREEN appears instead of the movie.
If you are new to TCM ON-DEMAND and its STREAMING "services" you may want to check your browser's settings and see if adjustment works.

NOTE: Don't forget to "RESET" your browser security features after you are finished watching anything streaming from TCM....

Addendum... Also a COX subscriber, but use a PC exclusively for streaming TCM movies.
Mozilla Firefox is my preferred browser with Win 7 Pro (64 bit) OS.

All of the above!

In addition, open Flash Player Settings Manager. (For those who don't know, on Windows PCs, Flash Player can be found under Control Panel\All Controls. Click on the Flash Player icon and it will take you to the settings manager.)

Look under Storage tab and select the option: "Ask me before allowing new sites to store information on this computer"*

*I chose this option in my first attempt at resolving this issue tonight, in the hope it might afford me some sense of personal control or security. Whatever the case -- it worked for me! Your mileage may be different. You might have to select: "Allow sites...etc " option. No harm in trying if the other option was no help to you. It might be browser or operating system specific for all I know. (I'm using Mozilla Firefox on a Win 10 64bit pc.)

I hope this works for all concerned. On previous occasions, I used every possible combination -- some working, if only briefly, until the next browser or Flash update -- quickly learning that the aforementioned "Accept All Third Party Cookies" must be selected first. This Flash Player-thing is something entirely new, I tried tonight for the first time.

FYI: I'm an absolute privacy nut-job, bordering on clinically paranoid. (Is there any other kind, Mr Bates?) I've always selected all blocking options under Flash Player Settings Manager. So, to reiterate, this solution is a new one on me. And don't forget to reactivate any and all security settings you might have de-selected [sic] when done with TCM -- or the NSA kicks in your door, whichever happens first.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2018 at 11:15 PM, Smarty Pants said:

All of the above!

In addition, open Flash Player Settings Manager. (For those who don't know, on Windows PCs, Flash Player can be found under Control Panel\All Controls. Click on the Flash Player icon and it will take you to the settings manager.)

Look under Storage tab and select the option: "Ask me before allowing new sites to store information on this computer"*

*I chose this option in my first attempt at resolving this issue tonight, in the hope it might afford me some sense of personal control or security. Whatever the case -- it worked for me! Your mileage may be different. You might have to select: "Allow sites...etc " option. No harm in trying if the other option was no help to you. It might be browser or operating system specific for all I know. (I'm using Mozilla Firefox on a Win 10 64bit pc.)

I hope this works for all concerned. On previous occasions, I used every possible combination -- some working, if only briefly, until the next browser or Flash update -- quickly learning that the aforementioned "Accept All Third Party Cookies" must be selected first. This Flash Player-thing is something entirely new, I tried tonight for the first time.

FYI: I'm an absolute privacy nut-job, bordering on clinically paranoid. (Is there any other kind, Mr Bates?) I've always selected all blocking options under Flash Player Settings Manager. So, to reiterate, this solution is a new one on me. And don't forget to reactivate any and all security settings you might have de-selected [sic] when done with TCM -- or the NSA kicks in your door, whichever happens first.

Thanks Smarty Pants, for your insightful post
One thing that you mentioned throws another host of potential variables into such concerns, and that is the Operating System. In particular Win 10, which has almost total control of the users computer (aside from how we actually use our PC and our physical ability to cover a camera lens with a bandaid, or pull a plug).
By "virtue" of using the Win 10 OS, users are granting MS telemetry "spyware" permission to monitor and access any and all computer and user information stored on that PC and report it to Microsoft, without notifying the user. In addition, MS also has implicit permission to automatically install anything they wish on the PC, again without notifying the user. MS can hijack user bandwidth for their purposes, and can automatically modify, disable or delete any user installed app or program that is deemed in "conflict" with any propriety MS program, and MS doesn't have to inform the user of any of these actions on "their" PC.
MS claims that they are no more invasive than Google, and that the benefits of them having such seamless control means that the the user's PC is always up-to-date, more consistently reliably, and better "protected" than any previous OS. 
There may be some truth to that but the implicit trade-off is the PC "owner" "agrees" to sacrifice all "user" autonomy, "privacy", and "trust" to Microsoft and their 3rd party affiliates with any or all of the data ("personal" and otherwise) "stored" on their PC. 
Win 10 users no longer have the ability to choose which updates they want, as MS has removed those options entirely. Everything is automatic, and subject to uninformed change.
So if the user suffers from periodic slow downs in bandwidth, or suddenly discovers something altered, dysfunctional or missing, or previous settings changed or reversed, the omnipresent spectre of Microsoft may be to blame.  

Not trusting Microsoft, means that I have painfully learned to disable the automatic updates function from MS for Win 7.
I must actually check out the "security" updates offered to assure myself that the ones that I ultimately download and install are indeed necessary for my PC's security, and not just for the benefit of MS.
I have to be ever more  careful and watchful whenever I do anything On-Line, and I have Microsoft's ever more intrusive behavior and practices to thank for contributing to such justifiable paranoia.
Everyone can be hacked these days. I have learned that nothing is secure, and I trust them little more than I do the credit reporting agencies or any of the other entities that have absconded with masses of our previously thought "secure" information.
I consider MS to be another invasive fox striving for control of the hen house, and though they claim to be benign and "friendly," a fox is still a fox. 
Thanks to Win 10, Win 7 will be the last MS OS that I purchase.
After much research and trusted recomendations, I will soon be joining the ranks of Linux users for my ON-Line PC activity.