Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

tom hanks

Big_Bopper

Its not what you think. I have no interest in him as an actor. But did you see him on VH1 rock & roll hall of fame 2008? He introduced/inducted the Dave Clark Five. Anyway he wrote this long intro which he recited & it appeared to be autobiographical. In this long recitation he was able to mention each of the Dave Clark Five hit songs. The reason I bring this to your attention is its possible to still see it if you get VH1 Classic. I have never seen Tom Hanks so nervous & worked up before. He must have taken weeks to write it & rehearse the speech. Please check this out!

19292699-19292704-large.jpg

here's dave clark accepting the award. 2 of the group died this year.

hey Bopper. Good to see you're still around. Makes me wish again that I had VH1 Classic instead of just VH1.

This actually has a TCM connection. TCM's showing their first film appearance, in *Get Yourself a College Girl* (1964), coming up on Tuesday, April 15th at 6 pm EDT. (They're showing Bop Girl Goes Calypso again that day, and Richard Lester's second movie It's Trad, Dad! (1962) earlier that afternoon).

The Dave Clark Five's first real movie, guess sort of an answer to A Hard Day's Night, was *Catch Us If You Can* (1965), which was strangely retitled *Having a Wild Weekend* for release in the US. It was really a pretty good film, John Boorman's first, before he went on to direct Point Blank (1967) and Hell in the Pacific(1968).

Your post got me singing Glad All Over, which sure beats the hell out of the Brothers Four doing Johnny Mercer's Alvarez Kelly.

Yes I'm still around. But I don't get VH1 Classic no mo. Joan Jett sang "Bits & Pieces" on the show & to tell you the truth she failed to capture the essence of the song. Its virtually impossible to convey the impact of Dave Clark 5 back then. But Tom Hanks knew it & he tried so give him credit. Back in 1964 I had nothing. no money. no records. I was not tuned in to the culture. All I had was radio & it was free. I didn't know what any of the singers looked like. I was really out of it. Talk about a captive audience. That was me.

I think I saw the movie "Havin a wild Weekend" & it was terrible. They had no story. I was able to get all the 45rpm records & they are great. & I have a video of Dave Clark 5 from Disney Channel. Its very good about 45 min. long. Here's a pic. Even color back then was non existent.

dave%20clark%20five.jpg

Speaking of Tom Hanks and DC5, did you see his 1996 movie (as director) ?That Thing You Do?? About the swift rise and demise of a (fictional) generic 1960?s pop group. I thought it was a pretty good movie, even the songs were catchy. Check it out if you haven?t seen it, I think you?ll enjoy it.

Regards

Thanks for suggesting that movie. I will be on the lookout for it. It makes sense because Hanks was so blown away by DC5 it stands to reason he would be involved with a movie. & director too. I bet the group is based on DC5.

I don't want to say a miracle happened but close to it. I spoke to an at&t lady about my acct. which was 157$ & they taped it & played it back to a supervisor. They dropped all the charges! I got a new revised bill for $23...... all the bill was computer generated profit where if you are late $25 is added etc. plus they shut off my long distance service but continued to charge me $27 a month! Thats nerve. for once a mega monster corporation took its boot off my neck. so I'll be on the web for awhile but I want my I want my I want my tcm............

Denis Payton died in 2006.

For the link-minded:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dave_Clark_Five

Sounds like the Bopper hated the movie and I really liked it. Haven't seen it in decades though. I have no idea who owns the rights, but WB distributed it originally.

from the TCMDb:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=77490

and a short review of the film (if this site's still up):

http://www.geocities.com/paulinekaelreviews/h2.html

(and if anyone knows if there's a copyright conflict, please inform me so I can edit that).

with regards to the movie, I watched a few minutes & it was awful. There was no story. none. Nothing happened. The group was standing there & had nothing to do or say! The title change had to do with Catch Us If You Can being old by the time the movie was finished. So they changed it to be able to promote it with a new song. I have a video of Havin a Wild Weekend. I wanted to like the movie but there was nothing to like.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings