Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not watching Davis Documentary

FredCDobbs

I turned it on for about a minute and some dame was talking about who Davis and Crawford slept with, and I'm not at all interested in that crap.

I'd rather see a documentary like the one TCM aired about Judy Garland and the Wizard of Oz.

Nobody can prove if these "slept with" stories are true or not, and anybody can make them up. TCM has been adding too many "slept with" stories to its documentaries more and more during the past 10 years. I'm interested in the "art" of acting and film making, not who is alleged to have slept with whom in 1935. TCM is just further lowering its quality standards. More Time-Warner cheapo, sleazo, crapo.

You're right about the "slept with" parts, Fred. I'm having similar problems reading a biography of Hitchcock. And nothing like pop psychology to nail down the truths of human existence. But I'm really enjoying the documentary, just as I did the Crawford one, because I'm not that aware of the career history, so seeing it all is great. On a personal level, there was one pic of her with her baby daughter that is wonderful. Gee, things got worse later in life? Welcome to humanity. I don't mean her daughter. I mean any one with any sense watching this.

btw, there was also a probably unsubstantiated fight with Patrick O'Neal. So great to hear after seeing him in Alvarez Kelly last night. My favorite Patrick O'Neal film is *Chamber of Horrors* (1966), which was made for television and released to theaters.

>Welcome to humanity

I watch old movies to get away from humanity.

If I want humanity I?ll turn on the modern Hollywood gossip on Fox News or CNN.

How do you think Bette Davis would feel if she were to come back and hear Time Warner talking about her like this, as if this was the most important thing in her life.

All that crap about the wire coat hangers just about ruined my enjoyment of Joan Crawford movies. I wish I had never heard about it.

I had other problems with Davis and Crawford than any problems with their kids, but I understand why you don't need to hear it. I don't need to hear it either, but I was happy to see an overview of her career.

TV producers who live in big cities like L.A., New York, and now Atlanta, think this stuff is really exciting to everyone, but it?s not. Many of us see it as just trash. Gossip and trash. A lot of big city producers think that gossip and trash are ?normal? and ?modern? and ?intellectual?. They just don?t know any better. If they knew any better, they wouldn?t live in big cities.

What do they put on their job resumes?

?Produced several trashy documentaries for the TCM Channel. Used a maximum amount of vulgarity and gossip stories. Made Bette Davis and Joan Crawford seem like trashy w*****. I can do the same for your network too, if you hire me.?

Agreed, Fred, and where does Vincent Sherman come off saying she went to bed with him,

and as for her ungrateful daughter, she sold out her own mother for the almighty dollar,

how does she sleep at night ? this documentary showed that TCM should have focused only on her fantastic film career, and not turning Miss Davis into a tramp...I was disapointed...

>Gee, that sounds exactly like the resume for the writer of the Hitchcock biography I'm reading. I do think I may ask around to see just how much of a hatchet job it may be.

This type of Hollywood trash talk can be so easily made up. I can sit here all day long and write it out:

?She was so depressed, even though she was the world?s top box-office attraction at that time, she made several suicide attempts and she had a torrid love affair with ***** *****, while she was still married to **** **** and he was still married to ******* *****. She got pregnant as a result, and she had to go down to Tijuana for a quick abortion. Only a few Hollywood insiders knew about these tragic turn of events in her life, but they never told anyone. In the meantime, while she was in Tijuana, she almost died due to complications and incompetence on the part of the Mexican doctor (who was an alcoholic), ***** ***** did not visit her, and in fact he left Hollywood on a secret trip to Europe with silent film star **** ******.?

If I like these actors, I don?t want to hear these stories, and there is absolutely no way we can even tell if they are true or not. Many trash writers have made fortunes making up these stories and feeding them to a gullible public. This type of trash used to only be sold in trashy magazines, but now its turning up on major television networks.

Fred,

i HIGHLY disagree with u....these documetaries are made by the ppl who KNEW them and BY there ownwords as well.... this one was and so was the one on Joan...u are entitled to your opinion..but this one was done GREAT..u should have watched the rest in NO way did they put her down..u know why because there wasnt anything to put down...sure she had her FLAWS as ALL pll do...ALL.....but not a bad person....not an evil person...

I think these documentaries are put together very well....they show HER ppl who know her..u get a real look at thhe person...sure nothings like knowing them...personally but its HER talking...as in Joans..now with Jaon the diffrence was there was MANY ppl to confirm that she WAS nasty to her childern...not only others but HER out of HER mouth how awful she spoke about her children..... not just christina but the boy as well......in Bettes case there wasnt ONE person not one to say she was a bad mother...noone..in fact it was well known that she was very close to BD (EVIL) the daughter when she was growing up...in her young years...Bette did everything for her all her children....this case WAS striclty MONEY HUNGRY ****....awful awful......unlike the relationship with Joan and her daughter even when Christina was a baby 4 5 6....she abused her....TOTALLY diffrent situation....the worst that was said about Bette was that she shouted on set ect .....but NEVER a bad parent....never seen...BD had nothing to back her up....so when u go accusing u better have the facts to back it up...as a matter a fact her son the total opposite....and at least he felt something when his mother died...how could she say i felt no loss when her mother died..SHOCKING...cooooooooold as ice...

ok i said my peace...long story short...i think these documetaries are very good...u may not like what u hear ...but this is it..when there like this with the actors themselves speaking as well as those closest to them i think there well worth watching....

Stardust was very well done i thought..Fred u should have watched the rest...the breif thing they said about Jaon and her was all movie..all on set..nothing personal about them...even Bette said stuff on set..so did JOAN...they were not freinds off at all...they said the only thing they had in common were that both there fathers left them at a young age..well that happens to many familys ...its how u handle it...yet Bette went on to raise beautiful children...except for that BD....awful...And how she took care of her mother as well ..praised her...right to the end..TOTALLY not like Joan...Joan had no realtionship with her mother..treated her awful...thats the diffrence.

Sorry i got off on Joan again...but i am making a comparisson on the 2 documetaries...night and day these 2 women...

Anyway..i thought it was done very well and i learned many things about Ms.Davis i didnt know...how she was really just a homebody..did not walk aropund her world treating ppl like they were dirt and shes the star....and her interviews she did u could really see that to..the REAL Bette..she was very down to earth almost making fun of herself....greal lady! Anyone who can laugh at themselves being that great of an actress and to be THAT way in public..u gotta love em..to show the real Bette..to be SOOOO honest when u ask her questions..theres no BITTERNESS in her voice......wonderful woman!

ty all

AvaG

I feel the need to point out that these documentaries are invaluable to those of us who want an appreciation for certain actors and actresses. I came from watching both the Crawford and the Davis documentaries with greater respect for each actress. The personal stuff I could really do without. This "he says, she says, the kid says" is ridiculous since we weren't there, will never know, and have no need to know. I suppose various rumors infiltrate my consciousness through the years whether I want them to or not (unless we show Fred's good sense and turn the sound off). Opinions change as I hear various reports. Who cares?

But while I do not doubt the mendaciousness of the media (or most people for that matter), I'd like to share my next post:

You're free to watch them, of course. I'm not going to watch any more of them. I'm not interested in their personal lives. I watch their movies to see the movies. It's like the way I watch Leni Riefenstahl's documentaries because they are so artistic. I learn from them. I don't care who she went to bed with in 1934.

Years ago, maybe back in the mid-?80s, I heard that the daughter of Lucy and Dezi had just produced a documentary about her parents, and it was going to air on some network, and it would contain some rare ?home movies?. I had always liked Lucy and Dezi so I made a point to see it. The stupid dame who made the documentary about her parents put every bit of trash in it that she could think up, and it was a miserable program. I turned it off when the trash talk started. I can?t imagine anyone telling stories about their parents like that on network television, just to make a couple of hundred thousand dollars off of a TV show.

tobitz...

good point i do agree i think they are invaluable as well..BUT rto me its all important i mean its THEM...its all them..i mean who they married..what children came out of that marrige..what happned..thats THEM to me u get the whole picure...and as far as there kids well maybe im a little more open minded..it does matter to me how they treated there children..true we werent there but other ppl were and again at least in Joans case it came out of her OWN mouth she talked about her kids as they were trash..Spoiled brats all 5 and u can have them..TERRIBLE way to speak...in Bettes case even when for NO reason, except money..when BD said that crap Bette even then NEVER said one bad word about her..NEVER...except that she was HURT by it...of course..and when BD was asked did u do it for money 100.000..she said YES of course..i mean just totally opposites those women...but again i agree that they ARE important at least to there fans.. :-)

AvaG

ty for your comments

AvaG

This is my favorite gossip story. I was reminded of it just this morning when I learned its subject had died. Young.

One morning at work, I was approached by one of the biggest gossips of the female gender (I'll call x+ ), who gleefully reported that another co-worker ( a ) was pregnant. a was a divorced mother with a few kids already. (I should point out that there was no ulterior motive on x 's part. She just liked to gossip). I told x that this was good news and that I hoped a was very happy about it. Probably feeling mischievious, I asked x how she knew. Had a told her? No, she'd heard it from y (the worst gossip of the male gender in the office), who'd heard it from a. So, just to verify the facts here, I went to y and asked him. a had told him she was expecting? No, no, he'd heard it from x. I went back to x and related that to her. After going back and forth a few times,x and y+ got into a terrible argument and didn't speak to each other for months. Each thought the other was lying.

Several weeks later, a+ and I were on break together. "I suppose you heard I was pregnant," she said. I said yes, and told her what had happened. While at least a bit bitter, she did seem to see some humor in it, considering the magnitude of the supposed miracle. She'd had a hysterectomy five years before. She finally said, "Well, if I'd been pregnant, I sure don't know who the father could have been." Having been told by x, I happily raised my hand. "I do! I do!" The supposed father worked the same shift as a+ and had given her a ride home a couple times when her car was in the garage. That was the extent of the romance.

I'm also reminded of the old story of the priest, in giving penance to a gossip, has them climb up to the steeple and shake out a feather pillow. As the feathers flew across the countryside, he said, "Go and pick every feather up. That's your penance."

To me, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Rita Hayworth, Louise Brooks, Clara Bow, etc. are all the characters they play in the movies I watch. And they are different in different movies. If they are bad girls in some movies, I want to dislike them in those movies. If they are good girls in other movies, I want to like them in those movies. I can?t concentrate on the movie if I?m distracted by some other gossipy side-story about the personal lives of the people who play the characters I watch in the films.

If they are Anna with the King of Siam, all I want to think about is Anna. If they are Empress Carlotta von Hapsburg, all I want to think about is Carlotta. I don?t want to be side-tracked by any extraneous baloney, just as I don?t want to hear any gossip about you or any of my other friends on this message board.

Also, I don?t want to get upset about things I don?t know are true or not true, or things that my friends and I might disagree about. Right now, Bette is this hard-headed Southern girl who makes a danged fool out of herself, and that?s the only way I want to think of her right now. I don?t even want to be told that she?s ?an actress? or that this is ?just a movie?. No, she?s not ?an actress?, she?s Julie, and this is the old South, and poor Julie is making a danged fool out of herself.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings