Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34's Disney Movie Journey

2 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE (1986) *Score: 3.5/5*

I used to watch this one all the time growing up; I always really enjoyed it. It still remains one of Disney's forgotten gems, in my opinion. I don't know of any kids in this day and age who have seen this. 

It's getting more love now, now that 90's Disney fans recognize it was the first co-directorial work for John Musker & Ron Clements in '86, before they got their own big break next with Little Mermaid and Aladdin.   As such, Disney fans notice a new energy and humor (especially coming a year after the fallout of the creaking Ron-Miller-relic "Black Cauldron"), and it's considered by fans to be an early "Disney 90's-Renaissance, Year 0".

(Reportedly, late-80's M&C kept bugging Jeffrey Katzenberg to let them do their "space-pirates" movie, and Katz kept giving them other projects to work on to keep them busy.)

• Like 1

OLIVER AND COMPANY (1988) *Score: high 3, low 3.5* 

This is another one of the forgotten Disney classics which I watched frequently as a child. I remember loving this a lot more when I was younger (which is not to say that I detest it now); I think I have outgrown certain elements of this one. Though I've always loved the poodle, Georgette (voiced by Bette Midler). Her song "Perfect isn't Easy" and Billy Joel's "Why Should I Worry" are the two standouts from this movie; I do wish the soundtrack was available to listen to digitally on streaming sites like Spotify/iTunes. 

Revisiting the Renaissance: Oliver and Company Revisited – /Film

For risk of embarrassment, I will not share just how long it took me to realize that this one was an adaptation of the classic Charles Dickens novel, "Oliver Twist." I think all that matters is I am aware of that fact now, and have been for a few years... 

Oliver and Company - Why Should I Worry? (Blu-ray 1080p HD) - YouTube

Georgette | Animated Animals Wiki | Fandom

• Like 2

MANY ADVENTURES OF WINNIE THE POOH (1977) *Score: 4/5* 

I may be unduly biased towards this one, but my father has always been a fan of the Winnie the Pooh franchise, and I guess that rubbed off on me as well. I remember watching a lot of Winnie the Pooh as a child because of it, and every time I  watch any of the movies, I am met with a warm familiar feeling inside. They are definitely comfort movies at this point. Pooh getting stuck in Rabbit's "front door" will always be something that sticks in my memory, as well as the "Little Black Rain Cloud" scene.  

The voice actors are another part of what is so nice about these movies. Despite there being many changes in voice actors throughout the years, I think one thing I can appreciate is how every single person brought something new and personal to the roles. 

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977) | Screencap fr… | Flickr

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

MANY ADVENTURES OF WINNIE THE POOH (1977) *Score: 4/5* 

I may be unduly biased towards this one, but my father has always been a fan of the Winnie the Pooh franchise, and I guess that rubbed off on me as well. I remember watching a lot of Winnie the Pooh as a child because of it, and every time I  watch any of the movies, I am met with a warm familiar feeling inside. They are definitely comfort movies at this point. Pooh getting stuck in Rabbit's "front door" will always be something that sticks in my memory, as well as the "Little Black Rain Cloud" scene.  

The voice actors are another part of what is so nice about these movies. Despite there being many changes in voice actors throughout the years, I think one thing I can appreciate is how every single person brought something new and personal to the roles. 

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977) | Screencap fr… | Flickr

What blows me away about Pooh's voice actors is that they are so varied:  Sterling Holloway, Hal Smith (who some may know better as the Mayberry town drunk Otis Campbell in The Andy Griffith Show), and Jim Cummings.  Pooh's original voice isn't much different from Sterling Holloway's own natural distinctive voice. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 11:39 AM, NickAndNora34 said:

THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE (1986) *Score: 3.5/5* 

This is like Sherlock Holmes, but with rodents, cats, and bats. Young Olivia Flaversham's father gets taken by a peg-legged bat, and she sets out to find Basil of Baker Street to assist her in locating her father (a toymaker). Along the way, she meets Dr. Dawson, and he accompanies her to Basil's address. They meet the eccentric sleuth, and he agrees to help Olivia find her father, as he believes his archnemesis, Professor Ratigan, is at the heart of the abduction. 

I used to watch this one all the time growing up; I always really enjoyed it. It still remains one of Disney's forgotten gems, in my opinion. I don't know of any kids in this day and age who have seen this. The Great Mouse Detective (1986)

I love The Great Mouse Detective!! It also has Vincent Price in it. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 1:59 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

This is another one of the forgotten Disney classics which I watched frequently as a child. I remember loving this a lot more when I was younger (which is not to say that I detest it now); I think I have outgrown certain elements of this one. Though I've always loved the poodle, Georgette (voiced by Bette Midler). Her song "Perfect isn't Easy" and Billy Joel's "Why Should I Worry" are the two standouts from this movie; I do wish the soundtrack was available to listen to digitally on streaming sites like Spotify/iTunes. 

For risk of embarrassment, I will not share just how long it took me to realize that this one was an adaptation of the classic Charles Dickens novel, "Oliver Twist." I think all that matters is I am aware of that fact now, and have been for a few years... 

I very vaguely remember this when it was new. I was only 4 at the time, so we probably rented it on VHS. But I still have an Oliver Christmas ornament that I got when it came out. The ornament used to play music from the movie, but that part has long since died. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 3:59 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

Oliver and Company was the first movie I ever saw in theaters, my grandma took me so I have a special place for it in my heart. I've always loved the song Good Company. 

• Thanks 1

This is a cool idea.  It’s a great idea.  It’s a really wonderful idea.  After talk about Treasures From The Disney Vault with Lenoared Malton of course.  You all probably have figured out that I’m also a Disney fanatic myself.  I’ve really loved it ever since I was a little kid.  So I was so excited when TCM acquired Treasures From The Disney Vault a few Decembers ago with Lenoared Malton as host.  I missed the very first one though.  Where Ben Mainkawitz sat down with Lenoared Malton.  But maybe they’ll show it again sometime.  Anyway.  Every Friday night.  I make up my own Wonderful World Of Disney with Disney+.  I call it The Wonderful World Of Disney+.  Here are the Disney movies and shorts I’ve watched so far.

Disney/Pixar’s Onward.

Mr Mouse Takes A Trip with 20000 Leagues Under The Sea.  A Tribute To Kirk Douglas.

The New Neighbor with The Story Of Robin Hood 1952.

Donald Duck’s Winter Storage with Robin Hood 1973.

Donald Duck’s Grand Canyonascope with The Soward In The Stone

and this week I’ll be watching Donald Duck’s Corn Chips with A Kid In King Arthur’s Court.

I’ve included Walt Disney Shorts with the movies.  Because in the late 80s early 90s.  In the theatres.  Cartoons played with the movies.

Tummy Trouble played with Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

Mickey And The Seal played with Cheetah.

A Warner Bros cartoon played with DuckTales The Movie Treasure Of The Lost Lamp.

a Warner Bros cartoon played with Home Alone.

Runaway Brain played with A Kid In King Arthur’s Court.

Runaway Brain isn’t on Disney+ yet.  But it will be sometime I’m sure.

the Amusement Park Roger Rabbit cartoon played with Dick Tracy.

So I think I kind of thought I’d include a Walt Disney Short with the movies for old time sake.  To remember those days

and I watched Mr Duck Steps Out with Cinderella for Valentine’s Day.  On Valentine’s Day

and Lady And The Tramp I&II to get ready for the all new live action remake.  Which is really amazing too.  I also watched the latest Disney Christmas movie Noel this passed December for the holidays and Christmas.  Which is really amazing and really excellent.  So if you also review all these?  I can’t wait to hear it.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

THE BLACK CAULDRON (1985) *Score: 3/5 (very close to a 3.5)* 

gurgi | Tumblr

I can understand why this one is regarded as a sort of "cult classic" among people in my generation. I really enjoyed the hand-drawn animation and the color scheme that was used. Some of the characters were rather annoying at times (see gif above), but overall, they were pretty endearing. 

The movie's title relates to a magical cauldron that is sought after by the Horned King (he's evil, by the way). He wants to use it for his own dastardly deeds, but young Taran, his mentor Flewddur Flam, his oracle pig, Hen Wen, and newfound friends Princess Eilonwy and Gurgi (that rodent looking thing up above) make it their primary goal to stop him before it's too late. 

Pin on DISNEY

Disney might be remaking its darkest kids' movie The Black Cauldron

An Urgent Question About 'The Black Cauldron' – The Dot and Line

• Like 2

On 5/27/2020 at 3:19 PM, David Guercio said:

This is a cool idea.  It’s a great idea.  It’s a really wonderful idea.  After talk about Treasures From The Disney Vault with Lenoared Malton of course.  You all probably have figured out that I’m also a Disney fanatic myself.  I’ve really loved it ever since I was a little kid.  So I was so excited when TCM acquired Treasures From The Disney Vault a few Decembers ago with Lenoared Malton as host.  I missed the very first one though.  Where Ben Mainkawitz sat down with Lenoared Malton.  But maybe they’ll show it again sometime.  \

Or maybe NOT.  Now that Disney has its own marketable streaming service(s), and most studios have moved away from declining cable broadcasts.

If you're lucky, they might show Moana on ABC.

ESCAPE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN (1975) *Score: 3/5* 

Starring: Ray Milland, Ike Eisenmann, Kim Richards, Eddie Albert, Reta Shaw, Donald Pleasence. 

Two children with otherworldly powers find themselves in a foster home after their adoptive parents passed away. They start to remember more details from their past, but before they can do anything about them, a strange man appears at the foster home, claiming to be their estranged Uncle Lucas. He brings them to a mansion by the ocean, and they meet his employer, an eccentric man whose motives for "rescuing" the children may prove to be more for his own benefit than theirs. 

Escape to Witch Mountain (1975) - Cinema Cats

• Like 2

THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989) *Score: 3.5/5* 

Starring: Jodi Benson, Pat Carroll, Kenneth Mars, Samuel Wright, Buddy Hackett. 

One of the classic animated Disney movies I remember growing up watching... I absolutely adore the score from this one (Alan Menken really knows what he's doing, huh). I really enjoy the whole underwater aspect of this one; the bright colors and bubbles and sea creatures all assist in giving me a shot of pure serotonin. I mean, there's a reason why this one is high up there for a lot of people. 

25 Reasons Why 'The Little Mermaid' Heroine Ariel Is The Best ...

Why Ursula From 'The Little Mermaid' Was Actually The Movie's Hero

Disney's Real-Life Ariel Dishes on How The Little Mermaid Paved ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989) *Score: 3.5/5

It's probably hard to believe, but in spite of my love for Disney animated films, I have never seen this film!

I'll go and bury my head now....

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sagebrush said:

It's probably hard to believe, but in spite of my love for Disney animated films, I have never seen this film!

Oh man! You should go watch it now! It's on Disney+ if you have that service.  If your library is open, I'm sure it's available.

The Little Mermaid is the first movie I saw in the theater.  I was 5. 

Ursula is my favorite character in the film. Followed by the bass  blowfish that plays the saxophone.

Edited by speedracer5
Excuse me, it was the blowfish that played the saxophone.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Oh man! You should go watch it now! It's on Disney+ if you have that service.  If your library is open, I'm sure it's available.

The Little Mermaid is the first movie I saw in the theater.  I was 5. 

Ursula is my favorite character in the film. Followed by the bass  blowfish that plays the saxophone.

The success of The Little Mermaid is a large part of why Disney is as big as they are today.  It kicked off the whole Disney Renaissance era, fattened its coffers and reinvigorated the animation branch of the corporation.

• Like 3

THE FOX AND THE HOUND (1981) *Score: 3/5* 

This is another one of Disney's animated classics I remember watching often as a child; my younger brother absolutely loved this movie, which explains why it's so familiar to me. 

I was never one of those kids who cried at a lot of movies, and this one never broke me (to the best of my memory; I could be wrong, I don't know if I can actually remember that far back), but I remember being touched by Tod and Copper's friendship-turned-sour. One aspect I quite enjoy is the casting of Pearl Bailey as "Big Mama" the owl. Her song "Best of Friends" is quite comforting to me for some reason. 

Fox And The Hound, The Review | Movie - Empire

• Like 2

19 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

The success of The Little Mermaid is a large part of why Disney is as big as they are today.  It kicked off the whole Disney Renaissance era, fattened its coffers and reinvigorated the animation branch of the corporation.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:42 PM, sagebrush said:

Even with The Great Mouse Detective putting  a new bit of energy into the mix, that one still had the 70's Ron-Miller habits of arbitrary songs put in because they didn't know why, and the stories starting and ending with pulling in and out on big soft-focus 60's-Walt style overhead establishing-shot scenery...

With Mermaid, when that ship came out of the fog, leading into a big organized Broadway-opening with "Fathoms Below", it was the game-changing Disney equivalent of that big spaceship pan at the beginning of Star Wars...One of those movie moments you always remember which theater you first saw it in.  🙃

(Me, I spent eighteen years never having seen Lion King, but believe me, that was for entirely different reasons.  And even then, it was only to watch the 3-D version.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Even with The Great Mouse Detective putting  a new bit of energy into the mix, that one still had the 70's Ron-Miller habits of arbitrary songs put in because they didn't know why, and the stories starting and ending with pulling in and out on big soft-focus 60's-Walt style overhead establishing-shot scenery...

With Mermaid, when that ship came out of the fog, leading into a big organized Broadway-opening with "Fathoms Below", it was the game-changing Disney equivalent of that big spaceship pan at the beginning of Star Wars...One of those movie moments you always remember which theater you first saw it in.  🙃

(Me, I spent eighteen years never having seen Lion King, but believe me, that was for entirely different reasons.  And even then, it was only to watch the 3-D version.)

That was because they hired Broadway song writers who knew how to tell stories in song, and starting with Mermaid, they had very much a Broadway feel to them.  I remember watching Beauty and the Beast when it came out opening weekend, and as soon as Belle started singing the opening number, I thought that this was going to be a Broadway musical some day.  It was mostly already there, with the pacing, and the character-defining songs. and a big splashy production number in the middle.

• Thanks 1

Looking at those clips from THE LITTLE MERMAID reminds me of that one character who HAD to be based on the appearance of Harris Glenn Milstead, otherwise known as "Divine", who was creeping up the ladder of mainstream success before he died in March 1988 at age 42. 

I haven't seen THE LITTLE MERMAID in years, but I remember when I saw the movie and the animated character Ursula voiced by Pat Carroll I thought of DIVINE immediately.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

That was because they hired Broadway song writers who knew how to tell stories in song, and starting with Mermaid, they had very much a Broadway feel to them.  I remember watching Beauty and the Beast when it came out opening weekend, and as soon as Belle started singing the opening number, I thought that this was going to be a Broadway musical some day.  It was mostly already there, with the pacing, and the character-defining songs. and a big splashy production number in the middle.

Of course, it also helped that REAL Broadway was going through its early-90's slump at the time, with Broadway writers either convinced they "had" to write musicals about AIDS in NYC, or being wiped off the stage by a new craze-glut of Stomp/Riverdance revue-show wannabes.  

Little Mermaid was miles better the Disney movie, and had just as much of a Broadway structure, but was still seen at the time as "your 7-yo. daughter's favorite movie".  It was only a delayed-reaction year or two later, when critics started leaping on "It's okay for grownups to like Disney movies now!" craze for Beauty&Beast, after the NY Film Festival screening, that we got critics praising the Broadway structure--Which led to the real stage version, which led to Disney getting greedy and making "Hunchback of Notre Dame" as nothing but a scribbled-over stage-musical test-run, and....oy.  Ask me why I hate Frozen, some time.  😣