Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34's Disney Movie Journey

#30: JOHNNY TREMAIN (1957) Score: 1.5/5

Starring: Hal Stalmaster, Luana Patten (ugh), Richard Beymer (Tony from 1961's West Side Story), Jeff York, Whit Bissell, Sebastian Cabot (Voice of Bagheera in The Jungle Book, 1967). 

I remember reading the book a long time ago, and certain moments were familiar to me. Luana Patten may be more mature in this, but I wish I could say the same for her acting. The setting is Revolutionary Boston, and Johnny is an apprentice to a silversmith (Mr. Lapham). Johnny lives in Lapham's house with Lapham's daughter and granddaughter. They all seem to get along fairly well. 

One thing I noticed was how much this Hal Stalmaster character resembles Bobby Driscoll. I guess Bobby passed on the role or something. 

Lapham receives a goblet from Mr. Lyte, the landlord and wealthiest man in town. Lyte wants Lapham to restore the cup, but Lapham is unable to. One day, when he goes out to a meeting, his family and Johnny try to fix the cup on a Sabbath (which is punishable by possible imprisonment). The constable comes nosing around and in their haste to put everything away, some molten silver is spilled and Johnny burns his hand (this is one of the parts I remember from the book). 

A mostly dull film surrounding the Boston Tea Party and the Bostonians' issues with Britain. 

Image result for johnny tremain 1957

Related image

Source: Hoopla 

• Thanks 1

#31: OLD YELLER (1957) Score: 3/5 

In the opening credits, it says, "Introducing Tommy Kirk and Kevin Corcoran," so I guess this was both of their official debuts. Also starring Dorothy McGuire, Fess Parker, Jeff York, Chuck Connors. 

I remember watching this when I was really young. I liked it a lot; probably because it's one of my dad's favorite Disney movies. 

When Travis (Kirk) first meets Yeller, the result is a broken fence and a runaway mule. Travis don't take too kindly to this here yeller dog (I was going to do the entire review in Old-West dialect, but it's too exhausting, so that whole idea was thrown out the window). Travis hates Old Yeller because on top of his wrecking their farm, and chasing off their mule, he steals some of their meat. Travis hates this dog so much. He keeps threatening to shoot him. Seriously? Get over yourself. And to make matters worse, he purposely lowers a leg of meat in their store-house so he'll have an excuse just to shoot him. 

After Little Arliss (Corcoran) gets attacked by a mama bear (he was asking for it after trapping her baby) and Yeller saves him, Travis comes around. The end of this movie is quite sad, but very necessary. 

Image result for old yeller 1957

Source: Library 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

#30: JOHNNY TREMAIN (1957) Score: 1.5/5

A mostly dull film surrounding the Boston Tea Party and the Bostonians' issues with Britain. 

Except for the (ahem) singing ?, it's a fairly accurate film version of the Tea Party and Concord & Lexington:

The BTP wasn't the rowdy town-mutiny whoop-up that certain history-challenged conservatives wishfully like to think it was; it was simply an organized power play of one poor warehouse night-watchman up against an angry local mob of twenty, and no violence needed to take place--As in the book/movie, the group simply dumped the disputed tea, and that was that.

Also, by historical myth, no one quite knows who fired the Shot Heard Round the World, but it's theorized that it could have been a civilian bystander.

(This is where Walt's live-action division starts to kick in, and it was practically all they had for most of the Ron Miller era, so if you're serious about including those too, better settle in--Those are at least the ones that show up more often on TCM Disney-Vault night.)

• Thanks 1

I have to give you credit NickandNora, if I were doing this I would skip all the live action rubbish and just do the animated movies. You're a tough cookie!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FilmSnob said:

I have to give you credit NickandNora, if I were doing this I would skip all the live action rubbish and just do the animated movies. You're a tough cookie!

Oh, and unless you want to get into half a dozen Bette Midler dramas and Americanized Martin Short French comedies a week, I'd skip the 90's Touchstone/Hollywood/Silver Screen Partners years, when they were grinding them out like sausage, or you won't have any free time left.  

If you're trying to include "Walt's" live-action movies as examples of the Disney touch, those are considered to have ended in 1982-83, when the studio changed its old studio-system policy and let out art movies by independent directors, the same as other studios, just before the arrival of Michael Eisner.  Classically, Night Crossing, Tron and Tex from 1982 are considered the official last "old" Ron Miller-era Disney live-action movies--Tron usually gets the prize, out of sentimentality--but Never Cry Wolf and Something Wicked This Way Comes from 1983 are still watchable as the first "new" Disney studio films.

(Anything iconic after that from the late 80's/early 90's, like Roger Rabbit, Natty Gann, Arachnophobia, Sister Act, Good Morning Vietnam, Three Men & a Baby or Pretty Woman, were rare.  Dick Tracy or The Rocketeer are good for watching on your own time, though.)

• Thanks 1

#32: THE LIGHT IN THE FOREST (1958) Score: 2.5/5

Starring: Fess Parker, Wendell Corey, Joanne Dru, James MacArthur, Jessica Tandy, Joseph Calleia, and introducing Carol Lynley. 

I had a crush on James MacArthur when I was a lot younger after seeing him in the 1960 Disney live action film, Swiss Family Robinson. 

I went into this one fully blind (meaning I hadn't read anything about it so I had no idea what it was about). Evidently, this is based on a book of the same name by Conrad Richter. At approximately 2 minutes into the film, the sounds of bagpipes filled my ears and I very audibly groaned. Just when I thought I was going into a fairly enjoyable live-action film, I was struck with the thought that this wasn't it. 

MacArthur plays "True Son," a white boy who was adopted into a Native tribe. He and the other white children are ordered  to go back and rejoin "civilized society." True Son is accompanied home by Fess Parker, who is really the only person True Son listens to. Tandy plays True Son's mother, and she proves to be just as stubborn as her son. True Son's (aka John Cameron Butler) parents throw a welcome-back party for him where he meets the rest of his family and neighbors. One of his uncles is a loudmouthed bigot, who, may also prove to be an adulterer. 

As I got further into the film, I realized that my initial judgments were unfounded. I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. It definitely has its dull moments, but it proved to be one of the more entertaining live-action films I've seen so far. This movie seemed to show both sides of the coin, (so to speak) in regards to the relationship between the Native Americans and the white settlers. It does, as they say, take two to tango. 

Related image

Source: YouTube 

• Thanks 2

#33: TONKA (1958) Score: 1.5/5

Sal Mineo stars as the main (human) character. This one opens by saying, "The lone survivor of the historical Custer Massacre was a horse... This is his story." 

Mineo plays a Native boy named White Bull. It is clear from the beginning that he has a little bit of a rebellious streak. He tries to rope one of the wild stallions for his own, but is caught by another member of the tribe (who just so happens to be the actual owner of the rope and bow he uses to try to catch the horse). White Bull goes back to retrieve his cousin's belongings, but ends up spending time training the horse as well. He names the horse, "Tonka," which means "Great One." 

Tonka and White Bull go home and see that the camp is in disarray. Soldiers have frightened the tribe away, and White bull eventually finds them and reunites with his family and friends. Upon his return, White Bull's cousin wants to take the horse for himself and the chief allows it. This causes further dissension among the two young men. 

Long story short: White Bull has a few run-ins with some white soldiers, there is a battle between the soldiers and the tribe, and Tonka is reunited with his owner. 

Image result for tonka 1958

Source: Hoopla 

• Thanks 1

#34: SLEEPING BEAUTY (1959) Score: 4/5 

Starring: Mary Costa, Eleanor Audley, Bill Shirley, Verna Felton, Barbara Luddy, Taylor Holmes, Barbara Jo Allen. 

Princess Aurora is born and the entire kingdom celebrates. Young Prince Philip (whom Aurora is betrothed to) shows up as well to meet the tiny princess. The three good fairies (Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather) arrive to bestow gifts upon Aurora. Flora and Fauna are able to give her the gifts of beauty and song, respectively, but Merryweather is interrupted by the evil fairy, Maleficent, who is so upset over not being invited to the party, puts a curse on Aurora: when she turns 16, she'll prick her finger on a spinning wheel and die. After Maleficent leaves, Merryweather helps out and changes the curse so that Aurora won't die, she'll only fall asleep until true love's kiss wakes her up. 

Image result for sleeping beauty 1959 gif

Naturally, the curse upsets the King and Queen, and the King orders all the spinning wheels to be burned, which I thought was basically pointless, because, technically, Maleficent could use her magic to make another spinning wheel (which, as I'm writing this I'm remembering that actually ended up happening). And how are people going to make their clothes? 

One thing I enjoyed was the great way the animators drew Maleficent's facial expressions (although she does sort of look like the green version of Aurora). Also, the only reason Maleficent was unable to find Aurora, is because she had illiterate slime looking for the princess instead of doing it herself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NickAndNora34 said:

#34: SLEEPING BEAUTY (1959) Score: 4/5 

Starring: Mary Costa, Eleanor Audley, Bill Shirley, Verna Felton, Barbara Luddy, Taylor Holmes, Barbara Jo Allen. 

Princess Aurora is born and the entire kingdom celebrates. Young Prince Philip (whom Aurora is betrothed to) shows up as well to meet the tiny princess. The three good fairies (Flora, Fauna, & Merryweather) arrive to bestow gifts upon Aurora. Flora and Fauna are able to give her the gifts of beauty and song, respectively, but Merryweather is interrupted by the evil fairy, Maleficent, who is so upset over not being invited to the party, puts a curse on Aurora: when she turns 16, she'll prick her finger on a spinning wheel and die. After Maleficent leaves, Merryweather helps out and changes the curse so that Aurora won't die, she'll only fall asleep until true love's kiss wakes her up. 

Naturally, the curse upsets the King and Queen, and the King orders all the spinning wheels to be burned, which I thought was basically pointless, because, technically, Maleficent could use her magic to make another spinning wheel (which, as I'm writing this I'm remembering that actually ended up happening). And how are people going to make their clothes? 

One thing I enjoyed was the great way the animators drew Maleficent's facial expressions (although she does sort of look like the green version of Aurora). Also, the only reason Maleficent was unable to find Aurora, is because she had illiterate slime looking for the princess instead of doing it herself. 

Sleeping Beauty features my #1 favorite prince—Prince Phillip! He’s super hot as far as cartoon men go. 

• Haha 1

I like SLEEPING BEAUTY too, because of the more modern, streamline design. The backgrounds are more fanciful "patterns" in unnatural colors, creating a fairy tale atmosphere. Even the figures are more streamlined making them look pretty while sadly perpetuating the unattainable Barbie fantasy woman figure.

(I liked FROZEN's color/design too)

• Like 1

Sleeping Beauty is a very pretty film with gorgeous music.  I love Maleficent, she's fabulous.  I also love the fairies.  They seem so sweet.  The blue/pink fight between Flora and Meriweather is funny.  My favorite part of the film is when Phillip fights the dragon (Maleficent).  I also like the part when the fairies are trying to surprise Aurora with a birthday party. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Sleeping Beauty is a very pretty film with gorgeous music.  I love Maleficent, she's fabulous.  I also love the fairies.  They seem so sweet.  The blue/pink fight between Flora and Meriweather is funny.  My favorite part of the film is when Phillip fights the dragon (Maleficent).  I also like the part when the fairies are trying to surprise Aurora with a birthday party. 

I love when Flora is baking the cake, and she folds the eggs into the batter, shells and all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I love when Flora is baking the cake, and she folds the eggs into the batter, shells and all. 

I think it's Fauna who bakes the cake ? I like when Flora is designing the dress and she just takes a big piece of fabric and cuts a circle out of the bottom to make the bottom of the dress.  I also like how she makes Merriweather be the dress form, even though she's most definitely not the same build as Aurora.

I also love the creepiness of the scene where Aurora pricks her finger on the spindle of the spinning wheel.  I like the music and the green light. 

Obligatory Prince Philip photo:

980x.png

What a dreamboat!

Flynn Rider from Tangled runs a close second to Prince Philip. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I like SLEEPING BEAUTY too, because of the more modern, streamline design. The backgrounds are more fanciful "patterns" in unnatural colors, creating a fairy tale atmosphere. Even the figures are more streamlined making them look pretty while sadly perpetuating the unattainable Barbie fantasy woman figure.

Actually, Walt's idea going in was to create an "Animated medieval tapestry", and you can see the "flat" medieval-art style posing of the characters in the thin, tall figures, angular faces and wide castle-court shots.  

Contrary to popular belief, Walt wasn't that big on princesses, and didn't want to typecast the studio for it--Snow White was their icon, he liked Cinderella's animation but wanted to make her look "contemporary" 50's, and he...didn't really think there was anything they could do for a third happily-ever-after tale.  Which is why he let the story, fairies and visual style basically take over, and Aurora never seems to have any distinct memorable personality that stands out from the other Walt-era or 90's-Renaissance princesses.

3 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Reminds me of the old "Flintstones" line, where Fred is trying to deal with "Fold in one egg" in cake instructions:

"(squeeeze!)...(splat!)  And I say it can't be done!!  ? "

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Actually, Walt's idea going in was to create an "Animated medieval tapestry", and you can see the "flat" medieval-art style posing of the characters in the thin, tall figures, angular faces and wide castle-court shots.  

Contrary to popular belief, Walt wasn't that big on princesses, and didn't want to typecast the studio for it--Snow White was their icon, he liked Cinderella's animation but wanted to make her look "contemporary" 50's, and he...didn't really think there was anything they could do for a third happily-ever-after tale.  Which is why he let the story, fairies and visual style basically take over, and Aurora never seems to have any distinct memorable personality that stands out from the other Walt-era or 90's-Renaissance princesses.

I agree.  Aurora is rather bland, she just kind of goes wherever she's told--whether by the fairies or by Maleficent.  She's a very passive princess.  She barely has any dialogue.  Maybe 10 lines tops? I don't think she says anything after she's brought back to the castle.  

Despite Aurora's lack of personality, I really do like her.  She's very pretty (I love how her hair was animated) and she has a beautiful singing voice. 

I really dislike Snow White--not so much the film, more just Snow White herself.  She's such a dingbat and I hate her squeaky voice.  With that said, I really do like "Someday My Prince Will Come." 

My favorite princesses are Cinderella, Belle and Rapunzel. 

The villains are my favorites though.  Maleficent and the Evil Queen are so glamorous. 

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I think it's Fauna who bakes the cake ? I like when Flora is designing the dress and she just takes a big piece of fabric and cuts a circle out of the bottom to make the bottom of the dress.  I also like how she makes Merriweather be the dress form, even though she's most definitely not the same build as Aurora.

I also love the creepiness of the scene where Aurora pricks her finger on the spindle of the spinning wheel.  I like the music and the green light. 

haha you're right, it's Fauna. Here's a trick to distinguish the two: Fauna- a fawn is a baby deer/deer eat grass/grass is green/Fauna's dress is green. 

Related image

• Like 1

13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I agree.  Aurora is rather bland, she just kind of goes wherever she's told--whether by the fairies or by Maleficent.  She's a very passive princess.  She barely has any dialogue.  Maybe 10 lines tops? I don't think she says anything after she's brought back to the castle.  

Despite Aurora's lack of personality, I really do like her.  She's very pretty (I love how her hair was animated) and she has a beautiful singing voice. 

I really dislike Snow White--not so much the film, more just Snow White herself.  She's such a dingbat and I hate her squeaky voice.  With that said, I really do like "Someday My Prince Will Come." 

My favorite princesses are Cinderella, Belle and Rapunzel. 

The villains are my favorites though.  Maleficent and the Evil Queen are so glamorous. 

I agree. I think Aurora has the fewest lines (besides Dumbo, of course).

Snow White's voice can definitely be grating if you listen to it enough; I agree with you there. That movie is not my favorite Disney film by far, but I have a sort of appreciation for it since it's the first of their feature length animated films. 

My favorite princesses are Belle and Rapunzel, for sure. 

I also have a soft spot for villains (I bought a wallet from the Disney store that features the Evil Queen, Ursula, & Maleficent on it). Hades from Hercules and Mother Gothel from Tangled are two of my favorites. 

Of the three classic Disney princesses (the ones created while Walt Disney was alive), my favorite is Cinderella.  For me, she is the most dynamic character who goes beyond being a mere cypher.  It was also the one I saw at the earliest age, probably when I was about 4 or 5.  Sleeping Beauty gets my vote for being technically the best of the three, though it's the one I have the least emotional attachment to, as I didn't see it until I was in college.  Even Snow White doesn't evoke much nostalgia for me, as it wasn't released on VHS (and thus I didn't see it) until I was about 10 or 11.  But I still appreciate the stunning design of both films, and the wicked queen and Maleficent are just amazing characters.  I actually love that in Sleeping Beauty, it's basically Maleficent against the good fairies, with Aurora and the prince just pawns in their battle.  It's not insignificant that without the good fairies, the prince would likely die at the end.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

haha you're right, it's Fauna. Here's a trick to distinguish the two: Fauna- a fawn is a baby deer/deer eat grass/grass is green/Fauna's dress is green. 

Related image

Lol.  That gif is hilarious.  Flora is savage! 

• Haha 2

My favorite parts of Snow White is the beginning when Snow White is running through the woods--that animation is gorgeous; the part when Snow White sings "Someday My Prince Will Come" and the part when the Evil Queen transforms herself into the hag.  Then there's the gem mine that the Dwarfs work at! Talk about an easy job, no actual mining required.  What do they do with the gems? Who buys them? 

I love Cinderella because she seems to have a personality.  My favorite parts are the Fairy Godmother scene, Cinderella's dress transformation is beautiful animation; the scene where Cinderella sings "Sing Sweet Nightingale" while scrubbing the floor; "So This is Love" that Cinderella and Prince Charming sing; and the part when Lucifer gets hit by the button. 

I love Tangled.  Much more so than Frozen.  My favorite parts of Tangled is the on-going joke of Flynn Rider's "Wanted" poster; the relationship between Flynn and the horse; the lighting of the lanterns scene, so beautiful and sweet; and the ending where Flynn chops Rapunzel's hair.  He does a hack job and in the process, gives her a cute bobbed haircut.  I also like that in this film, Rapunzel saves Flynn. 

I also love Belle, because she's smart and isn't waiting to be saved by any man.  Gaston, while attractive (I guess. More so than post-transformation Beast anyway), is not intelligent and is a jerk.  Belle's also older than the other princesses (I think.  I'm guessing Belle is already in her 20s), so she's a little more sophisticated.  My favorite parts are the "Gaston" song, "Be Are Guest," the part when the coat rack is bathing the Beast and cutting his hair (that coat rack is talented, in addition to being a hairdresser, he also plays violin!), "Tale as Old as Time," and the best part, when Cogsworth and Lumiere are giving Belle a tour of the castle and Cogsworth discusses the Baroque period: "As I always say, if it's not Baroque, don't fix it!." 

I'm not a big fan of Frozen and I think it's because the movie was hyped up so much before I finally saw it.  I mean it was good, but not as good as the other Disney movies I'd seen.  I thought that aesthetically, Frozen was a very beautiful movie, but it wasn't as interesting as previous films and the songs weren't catchy.  I was sick of "Let it Go" at that point. Frozen was just ok.  The best part about Frozen is that my husband and I were at Disneyland during Frozen-mania and just the mere presence of Anna and Elsa at the park meant that a whole bunch of people were off the park grounds and waiting in line--leaving more space for my husband and I to ride rides!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Obligatory Prince Philip photo:

980x.png

What a dreamboat!

Flynn Rider from Tangled runs a close second to Prince Philip. 

My cousin looks exactly like Flynn Rider! When the action figures for TANGLED appeared in the stores, my sisters and I bought the Flynn Rider figures and sent them to him as a joke. He still has them ! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm not a big fan of Frozen and I think it's because the movie was hyped up so much before I finally saw it.  I mean it was good, but not as good as the other Disney movies I'd seen.  I thought that aesthetically, Frozen was a very beautiful movie, but it wasn't as interesting as previous films and the songs weren't catchy.  I was sick of "Let it Go" at that point.

I was working at a preschool when FROZEN was released in 2013. You have no idea how many times a day I heard little 4 yr olds singing "Let It Go". Even little kids couldn't make it cute for me anymore! ?

The best characters in FROZEN for me are Olaf, Sven and Kristoff, and the scenes with the three of them are the funniest. I love the scene where Anna and Kristoff first meet Olaf, and Olaf goes into his song about envisioning how glorious it would be for a snowman in the summer warmth. Anna warns Kristoff not to burst his bubble, and as the scene ends, there is a pause. Then Kristoff says "Someone's gotta tell him." I always find that to be funny.

I like the "Fixer Upper" song with the trolls. I also like the reprise of "For the First Time In Forever" with Anna and Elsa in the ice castle. That version is sung in Broadway format, with both performers essentially singing in counterpart.

23 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Of course, the "gimmick" is that the music in the story all comes from the Tschaikovsky ballet, with lyrics now to the Waltz--

Those who know the ballet will recognize Puss in Boots' dance from Act 3 as Maleficent's shuddering theme, and the Blue Bird's pas de deux as the tune that Aurora warbles in the forest.

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I was working at a preschool when FROZEN was released in 2013. You have no idea how many times a day I heard little 4 yr olds singing "Let It Go". Even little kids couldn't make it cute for me anymore! ?

The best characters in FROZEN for me are Olaf, Sven and Kristoff, and the scenes with the three of them are the funniest. I love the scene where Anna and Kristoff first meet Olaf, and Olaf goes into his song about envisioning how glorious it would be for a snowman in the summer warmth. Anna warns Kristoff not to burst his bubble, and as the scene ends, there is a pause. Then Kristoff says "Someone's gotta tell him." I always find that to be funny.

I like the "Fixer Upper" song with the trolls. I also like the reprise of "For the First Time In Forever" with Anna and Elsa in the ice castle. That version is sung in Broadway format, with both performers essentially singing in counterpart.

I love Disney as much as the next guy, but even I couldn't stomach "Frozen" after it came out. I agree with you; every little kid was singing "Let it Go" and I remember that that Halloween was "The Year of the Elsa's." 

I have to disagree with you about Olaf. He annoys me to no end sometimes. 

• Haha 1