Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's with the repeats????

marshald25

Don't get your colon in a twist...it happens every once in a while, a long "while" actually, and is not a common practice with TCM...at least not nearly to the degree that repeats happen on other movie channels. With all the other great movies that TCM has been showing this month, I can't figure out how you even noticed these two little repeats (smile).

Have you been paying attention? TCM has been repeating about 10 movies every month for the last couple years, while never showing other titles in their library. Next thing you know, they'll be airing commercials between movies and then interrupting the movies to show commercials.

I think it's a good idea to repeat cetain movies in the event that you missed the first showing and at a different time of day. We all can't stay up till 2 in the morning.

Besides I have the major movie channels and they are loaded with repeat showings. If I see XXX scheduled again I'll cancel my subscription. By the way I never even watched the movie whatever it is.

I'll take TCM anyday with a few repeat showings.

Mongo

Oh I've seen "XXX" starring the one and only (thank god) Vin Diesal. With three son's and a husband who thinks Stephan Seagal is the best thing since sliced bread I just can't seem to avoid this type of movie. Brief summary: Bad boy with an attitude gets forced to work for the government to avoid going to jail; things blow up; everybody and their brother gets an **** woopin'; techo poop music in practically every scene (grab some ear plugs); bullets flyin' all over the place -- oh, and did I mention things blow up? If TCM ever played this sucker I'd me mighty surprised *LOL*

I agree that TCM repeats too many movies while ignoring other movies altogether. It Happened One Night, Notorious, Bringing up Baby, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, North by Northwest (can't believe it wasn't on this month!!) and many others are played over and over and over again. Granted most of the repeats are great movies but there are lots of other great movies that deserve airing. Interesting to note that The Little Foxes and the African Queen are both "TCM Premiers", yet other movies are shown several times a month, several months in a row. It's funny, they rarely repeat (or show, for that matter) Bette Davis movies other than maybe Of Human Bondage and 1-2 others - there are a few on this month's schedule finally. But what worries me even more is that the newer movies are now becoming repeats - Annie Hall, Sleepless in Seattle and other movies that can be seen regularly on the other cable stations.

I don't mind some repeats during the month, especially since I usually catch up with things a little late anyway. As much as I admire Hitchcock, they could give "Notorious" a rest occasionally. The only repetition that I find really irksome to any degree are the 'What's Happening in the Performing Arts type' segments between the movies. Once seen, oft repeated--really tedious. Also I swear, if I see Cher explaining her devotion to Katharine Hepburn once more this month, I'll have to overlook my positive impressions of Cher. Ach, this too shall pass, (until next month's installment), and thank the deity for the remote control mute button.

But hey, quit picking on that great thespian, Vin Diesel, will ya? Me, I'm waiting for James Lipton to interview Mr. Diesel on "Inside the Actor's Studio" any day now about his oeuvre so far. Perhaps he could appear on that show after filming a new version of "Wuthering Heights" with Juliette Lewis as Cathy? Or maybe an updated take on "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" opposite pop singer Pink making her dramatic debut? I better stop kidding around before someone takes me seriously.

;)

I also don't mind the occasional repeat during the month. Actually sometimes it works to my benefit 'cause I'm not able to watch it the first time--if it's on in the middle of the night for example. I totally agree with you Moira about the "What's Happening..." segments and Cher's Katharine Hepburn tribute. Makes you wonder if TCM has ever heard the phrase "Less is more" ;). The other night when TCM was in-between movies Cher came on AGAIN and my husband walked passed the TV, stopped immediately, and said "How many times are they gonna show that damn thing?" *LOL*. Oh well, as you say Moira, that's what the mute button is for.

Oh, and shame on me for not giving Mr. Diesal the credit he is due. I myself can see him in Humphrey Bogart's role in "Casablanca" along side Britney Spears as Ilsa, muttering the line "In all the mosh pits in all the world, why did she have to walk into mine?" Oh, and of course when he says "Play it again Sam", an AK-47 would be backin' up that request. And and instead of Ingrid Bergman's line "We'll always have Paris", Britney would so cheerily anounce "We'll always have Vegas!" ;)

>>"We'll always have Vegas!" LOL (as much as I hate using that)

I also liked your "techno poop music" phrase from before!

There are those who complain 'bout TCM showing newer movies, but until Vin Diesel is a 'Star of the Month' (could you imagine?), I don't think there's really a problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I believe the repeats are a deliberate production play. Mainly to placate to the other movie networks that are charging big bucks for their movies. At least I can see no other reasoning behind it. Apparently once there was a day when it would take many months for a repeat. Now it is almost just a few days.

Jingles88

While I adore it, Sunset Blvd has been playing a lot in the past few months, as well as other movies. It seems most of the repeats are in prime time. The day if usually full of all kinds of stuff that doesn't get the rounds as often.

Archived