Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHY THE DISRESPECT FOR MARLANE DIETRICH AS STR OF THE MONTH FOR MAY?

Here is my beef with the programmers.  MARLENE DIETRICH WAS ONE OF THE BIGGES STARS KN CINEMA HISTORY.  SHE WAS A LEGEND/ . SHE WAS A WAR HEROINE DURING WW11, ENTERTAINING THE TROOPS AND VISITING HOSPITALS.  HER FILMS DO NOT SHOW UP UNTIL MAY 10TH WITH HER FOUR MOST LOVED FILMS SUCH AS "SHANGAHAI EXPRESS", "BLONDE VENUS AND  MOROCO.  THE PRAISES CAN BE GIVEN TO OTHERS BUT SHE GETS FAR LESS PRAISE THAN SHE DESERVES.

IT IS A SHAME THAT TCM HAS THIS BAD ATTITUDE TOWARDS PEOPLE FROM THE 1930S SUCH AS HER , CAROLE LOMBARD, MAE WEST AND MORE PEOPLE FROM OTHERS STUDIOS THAT WERE NOT MGM STARS.

If TCM didn’t like Marlene Dietrich, why would she be made SOTM? There are 5 Thursdays in May and Dietrich is scheduled for 4/5 of them. Most stars only get 4 spotlight days. Thursday, May 3, is a tribute to Robert Osborne. 

• Like 1

I agree with you about Marlene Dietrich, one of the greatest stars of the Golden Age! Thanks for pointing out that a few of her films will be shown on May 10.  I would like to see a truly comprehensive month-long tribute to Marlene, covering her entire career, and including her concert performances and the documentaries in which she is featured.

As a teenager, I went to her one-woman shows in NYC twice. Wonderful, moving concerts, presented by a woman who was still at the top of her game in 1968. This song was one of the highlights:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Swithin said:

I agree with you about Marlene Dietrich, one of the greatest stars of the Golden Age! Thanks for pointing out that a few of her films will be shown on May 10.  I would like to see a truly comprehensive month-long tribute to Marlene, covering her entire career, and including her concert performances and the documentaries in which she is featured.

She has 5 movies on the 10th, 5 more on the 17th, 6 movies on the 24th/25th, and 5 more on the 31st. That's 21 movies out of her 35 English-language films, most of which were made for studios outside of the TCM stable. That's not a bad line up at all, and I don't see what the complaining is about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

If TCM didn’t like Marlene Dietrich, why would she be made SOTM? There are 5 Thursdays in May and Dietrich is scheduled for 4/5 of them. Most stars only get 4 spotlight days. Thursday, May 3, is a tribute to Robert Osborne. 

Thanks for explaining what is actually going on.    Based on the other two post it looked to me like TCM was only going to show Dietrich films on one day, May 10th,   but I checked the schedule and like you noted she is featured on 4 days, with other 20 something films. 

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

I wish they were showing Dishonored. For some reason that early talkie rarely is shown

I'm surprised they're not. TCM and Criterion are connected in many ways, from the FilmStruck website to the majority of TCM Imports being drawn from the Criterion library. 

Anyway, Criterion recently announced a new box set of Dietrich-Von Sternberg movies, and it includes Dishonored. TCM will be showing all 5 of the other films in the set, and they'll most likely be using the remastered hi-def versions from Criterion. But alas, no Dishonored

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

She has 5 movies on the 10th, 5 more on the 17th, 6 movies on the 24th/25th, and 5 more on the 31st. That's 21 movies out of her 35 English-language films, most of which were made for studios outside of the TCM stable. That's not a bad line up at all, and I don't see what the complaining is about.

The complaining (in my case) is about the fact that I responded to the OP without reading the schedule fully! That's partly because I tried to look at the "Month Schedule" tab for May but couldn't seem to access it. Only the "Full TCM Schedule" link (above the "Month Schedule tab) worked.  

In any case, it's a good lineup, though I'd like it to have included her concerts, and some pre-Blue Angel films. And of course Dishonored.

9K73fspqRHMsgw0qPlTXiQZTc5s.jpg

• Like 2

I ONLY STATED THAT THE FIRST OF HER FILM START ON MAY 10TH, NOT EARLIER. 

BOY DID THEY SHOW SO MANY HOLDEN FILMS AT BEGINNING OF APRIL. IT MADE ME SO SICK.   WHY IS HE SO IMPORTANT? I SEE HIM AS A PRETTY AWFUL ACTOR. GLENN FORD IS BETTER THAN HE.  TCM SHOLD HAVE TRIBUTES TO CAROLE LOMBARD AS WELL.  EVERYBODY SEEMS TO FORGET HER.  SHE WAS ONE OF THE GREATEST COMEDIENNES AS WELL AS A GREAT DRAMATIC ACTRESS.  

ALL THAT I CAN SEE  IF YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THE MGM STARS, TCM HAS A LESSER VALUE TO THE ACTOR.

HERE IS MY POINT.  ON APRIL 30TH, THERE ARE  SEVEN WILLIAM HOLDEN FILMS ON THE SCHEDULE, WHICH CARRIES OVER TO MAY 1ST.  NOW, THERE WERE AT LEAST FIVE DAYS DEVOTED TO HOLDEN, WHICH INCLUDED SOME ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE FILMS THAT HE MADE. I WILL GO BACK AND COUNT HOW MANY HOLDEN FILMS WERE SHOWN DURING APRIL.  APPARENTLY, MANKEWITZ WAS SO ENAMORED WITH STEPHANIE POWERS. MOSTLY,  SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT HOLDEN FILMS , WHICH  AT A TIME THAT SHE HAD NO RELATIONSHIP WITH HOLDEN.THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE WAS TOTALLY NAUSEATING. I WOULD SAY TCM PLAYED ABOUT 40 HOLDEN FILMS.

55 minutes ago, arpirose said:

HERE IS MY POINT.  ON APRIL 30TH, THERE ARE  SEVEN WILLIAM HOLDEN FILMS ON THE SCHEDULE, WHICH CARRIES OVER TO MAY 1ST.  NOW, THERE WERE AT LEAST FIVE DAYS DEVOTED TO HOLDEN, WHICH INCLUDED SOME ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE FILMS THAT HE MADE. I WILL GO BACK AND COUNT HOW MANY HOLDEN FILMS WERE SHOWN DURING APRIL.  APPARENTLY, MANKEWITZ WAS SO ENAMORED WITH STEPHANIE POWERS. MOSTLY,  SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT HOLDEN FILMS , WHICH  AT A TIME THAT SHE HAD NO RELATIONSHIP WITH HOLDEN.THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE WAS TOTALLY NAUSEATING. I WOULD SAY TCM PLAYED ABOUT 40 HOLDEN FILMS.

Uh,  it isn't a contest;   Star of the Month isn't a baseball game where the star with the most films shown is the 'winner'.       Yea,   sometimes a star gets 5 days in a month, sometimes less.   Sometime 40 films are shown,  sometimes less than 20.

To view these differences as some type of deliberate attack by TCM on an actor that one favors is silly as well as totally nauseating. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Uh,  it isn't a contest;   Star of the Month isn't a baseball game where the star with the most films shown is the 'winner'.       Yea,   sometimes a star gets 5 days in a month, sometimes less.   Sometime 40 films are shown,  sometimes less than 20.

To view these differences as some type of deliberate attack by TCM on an actor that one favors is silly as well as totally nauseating. 

The star with the least films shown during a month-long tribute was Grace Kelly. Primarily due to the fact she didn't make a ton of movies. One evening they showed some of her early live TV work that has miraculously survived. They even managed to get her son Albert to record a lovely voice-over for a brief retrospective of her Hollywood career that played in the weeks leading up to her month of films. I'm glad they honored her. We didn't need a huge catalog of titles to appreciate and remember her.

29 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

The star with the least films shown during a month-long tribute was Grace Kelly. Primarily due to the fact she didn't make a ton of movies. One evening they showed some of her early live TV work that has miraculously survived. They even managed to get her son Albert to record a lovely voice-over for a brief retrospective of her Hollywood career that played in the weeks leading up to her month of films. I'm glad they honored her. We didn't need a huge catalog of titles to appreciate and remember her.

Oh,  I assume it was Leslie Howard and the upcoming SOTM since,  as we previously discussed,  TCM is showing the newly released documentary about his life multiple times and therefore the total number of films is 'low'. 

Next someone will be wondering why for Vivien Leigh's tribute TCM isn't showing 40 films like they did for Holden.

8 hours ago, arpirose said:

Here is my beef with the programmers.  MARLENE DIETRICH WAS ONE OF THE BIGGES STARS KN CINEMA HISTORY.  SHE WAS A LEGEND/ . SHE WAS A WAR HEROINE DURING WW11, ENTERTAINING THE TROOPS AND VISITING HOSPITALS.  HER FILMS DO NOT SHOW UP UNTIL MAY 10TH WITH HER FOUR MOST LOVED FILMS SUCH AS "SHANGAHAI EXPRESS", "BLONDE VENUS AND  MOROCO.  THE PRAISES CAN BE GIVEN TO OTHERS BUT SHE GETS FAR LESS PRAISE THAN SHE DESERVES.

IT IS A SHAME THAT TCM HAS THIS BAD ATTITUDE TOWARDS PEOPLE FROM THE 1930S SUCH AS HER , CAROLE LOMBARD, MAE WEST AND MORE PEOPLE FROM OTHERS STUDIOS THAT WERE NOT MGM STARS.

Marlene Dietrich was a star at Paramount for most of the time during the 30s. Thus it may be hard to get hold of many of her films.  The same is true of Carole Lombard and Mae West - Paramount stars. Universal holds the rights to their films. Some are restored, some are not.

2 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Marlene Dietrich was a star at Paramount for most of the time during the 30s. Thus it may be hard to get hold of many of her films.  The same is true of Carole Lombard and Mae West - Paramount stars. Universal holds the rights to their films. Some are restored, some are not.

Well if TCM respected these stars they would purchase Universal!!!!!     

TCM just doesn't care.  

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well if TCM respected these stars they would purchase Universal!!!!!     

TCM just doesn't care.  

All of Universal may be a bit much. I'd just be happy with TCM's parent company, WB, purchasing the 1929-1949 Paramount library that Universal holds and with which they do absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

HERE IS MY POINT.  ON APRIL 30TH, THERE ARE  SEVEN WILLIAM HOLDEN FILMS ON THE SCHEDULE, WHCIH CARRIES OVER TO MAY 1ST.  NOW, THERE WERE AT LEAST FIVE DAYS DEVOTED TO HOLDEN, WHICH INCLUDED SOME ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE FILMS THAT HE MADE. I WILL GO BACK AND COUNT HOW MANY HOLDEN FILMS WSERE SHOWN DURING APRIL.  APPARENTLY, MANKEWITZ WAS SO ENAMORED WITH STEPHANIE POWERS. MOSTLY,  SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT HOLDEN FILMS , WHICH  AT A TIME THAT SHE HAD NO RELATIONSHIP WITH HOLDEN.THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE WAS TOTALLY NAUSEATING. I WOULD SAY TCM PLAYED ABOUT 40 HOLDEN FILMS.

49 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Oh,  I assume it was Leslie Howard and the upcoming SOTM since,  as we previously discussed,  TCM is showing the newly released documentary about his life multiple times and therefore the total number of films is 'low'. 

Next someone will be wondering why for Vivien Leigh's tribute TCM isn't showing 40 films like they did for Holden.

For Vivien Leigh's tribute they showed 13 films (that is not her entire filmography) plus a documentary about her.

For Grace Kelly they only showed 10 films (she made 11). And they included a few of those old live TV shows on the first evening.

Both Leigh and Kelly would have worked better for Summer Under the Stars tributes, since their entire film output can be shown in a 24-hour period. But I suppose they felt the two women were such important stars they needed a month-long retrospective.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

All of Universal may be a bit much. I'd just be happy with TCM's parent company, WB, purchasing the 1929-1949 Paramount library that Universal holds and with which they do absolutely nothing.

I was cracking wise,  but it would be great if some other company did purchase that era of Paramount films,  as well as other studio-era films Universal isn't willing to restore and convert to a digital format.  

I would like to see a comprehensive Mae West SOTM series as well. She didn't make that many movies, but it could be fleshed out with a few of her television appearances. I know we always get into the money/rights/Paramount issue, but, as a film lover whose favorite decade is the 1930s, I think TCM sometimes gets too wrapped up in love of noir and so won't open up the budget to 1930s films as much. But don't get me wrong -- there are plenty of wonderful '30s films on TCM!

red-skelton3copy.jpg

Mae West on the Red Skelton Show

8 hours ago, Swithin said:

As a teenager, I went to her one-woman shows in NYC twice. Wonderful, moving concerts, presented by a woman who was still at the top of her game in 1968. This song was one of the highlights:

Very nice song! This is my favorite Marlene Dietrich song.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Swithin said:

I would like to see a comprehensive Mae West SOTM series as well. She didn't make that many movies, but it could be fleshed out with a few of her television appearances. I know we always get into the money/rights/Paramount issue, but, as a film lover whose favorite decade is the 1930s, I think TCM sometimes gets too wrapped up in love of noir and so won't open up the budget to 1930s films as much. But don't get me wrong -- there are plenty of wonderful '30s films on TCM!

red-skelton3copy.jpg

Mae West on the Red Skelton Show

Don't forget this classic TV appearance for Mae West:

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 7.55.42 PM.jpg

• Like 1
 She did not make that many sound films.

Sound feature films[edit]

Year Title Role Director Other cast members & Notes
1930 The Blue Angel Lola-Lola Josef von Sternberg Emil Jannings, Kurt Gerron
(Separate German and English versions were shot simultaneously.)
1930 Morocco Mademoiselle Amy Jolly Josef von Sternberg Gary Cooper, Adolphe Menjou
Nominated - Academy Award for Best Actress
1931 Dishonored Marie Kolverer Josef von Sternberg Victor McLaglen, Warner Oland
1932 Shanghai Express Shanghai Lily Josef von Sternberg Clive Brook, Anna May Wong
1932 Blonde Venus Helen Faraday Josef von Sternberg Cary Grant, Herbert Marshall, Andrea Palma
1933 The Song of Songs Lily Czepanek Rouben Mamoulian Brian Aherne, Lionel Atwill
1934 The Scarlet Empress Princess Sophia Frederica / Catherine II Josef von Sternberg John Lodge, Sam Jaffe, Maria Riva
1935 The Devil is a Woman Concha Perez Josef von Sternberg Lionel Atwill, Edward Everett Horton, Cesar Romero

1936 Desire Madeleine de Aupre Frank Borzage Gary Cooper, John Halliday
1936 The Garden of Allah Domini Enfilden Richard Boleslawski Charles Boyer, John Carradine
1937 Knight Without Armour Countess Alexandra Vladinoff Jacques Feyder Robert Donat, Irene Vanbrugh
1937 Angel Maria Berker Ernst Lubitsch Herbert Marshall, Melvyn Douglas, Edward Everett Horton
1939 Destry Rides Again Frenchy George Marshall James Stewart, Una Merkel
1940 Seven Sinners Bijou Blanche Tay Garnett John Wayne, Broderick Crawford
1941 The Flame of New Orleans Countess Claire Ledoux René Clair Bruce Cabot, Roland Young
1941 Manpower Fay Duvall Raoul Walsh Edward G. Robinson, George Raft
1942 The Lady Is Willing Elizabeth Madden Mitchell Leisen Fred MacMurray, Aline MacMahon
1942 The Spoilers Cherry Malotte Ray Enright John Wayne, Randolph Scott
1942 Pittsburgh Josey 'Hunky' Winters Lewis Seiler John Wayne, Randolph Scott
1944 Kismet Jamilla William Dieterle Ronald Colman, James Craig
1944 Follow the Boys Herself A. Edward Sutherland George Raft, Vera Zorina, Orson Welles
1946 Martin Roumagnac Blanche Ferrand Georges Lacombe Jean Gabin, Jean d'Yd
1947 Golden Earrings Lydia Mitchell Leisen Ray Milland, Murvyn Vye
1948 A Foreign Affair Erika von Schlütow Billy Wilder Jean Arthur, John Lund

1950 Stage Fright Charlotte Inwood Alfred Hitchcock Jane Wyman, Michael Wilding, Richard Todd
1951 No Highway in the Sky Monica Teasdale Henry Koster James Stewart, Glynis Johns
1952 Rancho Notorious Altar Keane Fritz Lang Arthur Kennedy, Mel Ferrer

1956 The Monte Carlo Story Maria de Creveçoeur Samuel A. Taylor Vittorio De Sica, Arthur O'Connell
1957 Witness for the Prosecution Christine Vole (Helm) / cockney woman Billy Wilder Tyrone Power, Charles Laughton
1958 Touch of Evil Tanna Orson Welles Charlton Heston, Orson Welles, Janet Leigh, Zsa Zsa Gabor
1961 Judgment at Nuremberg Frau Bertholt Stanley Kramer Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Richard Widmark, Judy Garland

1979 Schöner Gigolo, armer Gigolo Baroness von Semering David Hemmings David Bowie, Kim Novak, Sydne Rome
1984 Marlene Herself (voice only) Maximilian Schell Maximilian Schell, Annie Albers, Bernard Hall
(Film received Academy Award nomination for Best Documentary.)

And too, ARPIROSE, it's a "one man's trash, etc., etc., etc." sort of thing.

Personally, I think TWO Marlene Dietrich movies are two TOO MANY for my taste.  Never really did care for her much.  And never got the adoration for her Ostrich like face and what I saw as "marionette" acting.  But that's me.  You proved MY point with your tirade about Bill Holden.  And, as it's called TURNER Classic Movies, and NOT "SEPIATONE Classic Movies",  I find it useless to complain about the line-up. ;)

And yeah, there's always that "legal rights" stuff to factor in, and many of the movies I'D like to see TCM show won't be shown due to that factor is just something I'll have to live with and hope changes or improves over time.  But until then, I'll just have to get what I can from the channel, and lately I've found it pretty interesting.  

Sepiatone