Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHY THE DISRESPECT FOR MARLANE DIETRICH AS STR OF THE MONTH FOR MAY?

It would be nice if TCM would put in an effort to broadcast a few of Marlene's German silents. A few do still exist. The Ship of Lost Men, I Kiss Your Hand Madame and Dangers of the Engagement, her last silent, for example. The problem is how many of them have English subtitles? I did see a German language version only of Dangers of the Engagement on You Tube a few months ago.

I downloaded a gorgeous print off the internet of I Kiss Your Hand Madame (Ich Kusse Ihre Hand, Madame), absolutely beautiful, with musical accompaniment AND English subs. So some wonderful prints of others may exist, as well, if the channel can get the broadcast rights to them.

Here are three screen snapshots from the I Kiss Your Hand Madame print that was on rarefilmm.com a couple of years ago. It's no longer there but, who knows, it may come back.

pf0uzu9.png

fXFZyPz.png

hhiQqMt.png

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, arpirose said:

AS FOR LESLIE HOWARDS'S FILMS.  HE MADE QUITE A FEW IN GREAT BRITAIN.  THEREFORE, HIS QUANTITY OF FILMS ARE HIGHER IF YOU FACTOR THEM.

Plus Howard produced and directed some he did not appear in as an actor. In THE GENTLE SEX, which he produced, he provides narration. TCM aired the film when he was Star of the Month in 2012.

23 hours ago, arpirose said:

Here is my beef with the programmers.  MARLENE DIETRICH WAS ONE OF THE BIGGES STARS KN CINEMA HISTORY.  SHE WAS A LEGEND/ . SHE WAS A WAR HEROINE DURING WW11, ENTERTAINING THE TROOPS AND VISITING HOSPITALS.  HER FILMS DO NOT SHOW UP UNTIL MAY 10TH WITH HER FOUR MOST LOVED FILMS SUCH AS "SHANGAHAI EXPRESS", "BLONDE VENUS AND  MOROCO.  THE PRAISES CAN BE GIVEN TO OTHERS BUT SHE GETS FAR LESS PRAISE THAN SHE DESERVES.

IT IS A SHAME THAT TCM HAS THIS BAD ATTITUDE TOWARDS PEOPLE FROM THE 1930S SUCH AS HER , CAROLE LOMBARD, MAE WEST AND MORE PEOPLE FROM OTHERS STUDIOS THAT WERE NOT MGM STARS.

Oh my, someone don't get an extra 15 minutes of fame and they're hated. :wacko:

• Confused 1

Thanks, fan for posting about Marlene Dietrich!

Of course she is and will always be a STAR.

She also worked hard to entertain the troops during WW2---touring Europe during the fighting!

She did so much touring on the "front" that Richard Conte's character in A WALK IN THE SUN jokes about it--that they might see her coming down the road in Italy during their maneuver....

• Thanks 1
On 4/27/2018 at 5:00 PM, arpirose said:

HERE IS MY POINT.  ON APRIL 30TH, THERE ARE  SEVEN WILLIAM HOLDEN FILMS ON THE SCHEDULE, WHCIH CARRIES OVER TO MAY 1ST.  NOW, THERE WERE AT LEAST FIVE DAYS DEVOTED TO HOLDEN, WHICH INCLUDED SOME ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE FILMS THAT HE MADE. I WILL GO BACK AND COUNT HOW MANY HOLDEN FILMS WSERE SHOWN DURING APRIL.  APPARENTLY, MANKEWITZ WAS SO ENAMORED WITH STEPHANIE POWERS. MOSTLY,  SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT HOLDEN FILMS , WHICH  AT A TIME THAT SHE HAD NO RELATIONSHIP WITH HOLDEN.THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE WAS TOTALLY NAUSEATING. I WOULD SAY TCM PLAYED ABOUT 40 HOLDEN FILMS.

HEY! WHAT THE HELL IS..ahem, excuse me..what the hell is wrong with being "enamored with Stefanie(correctly spelled with an 'f', not 'ph', dude) Powers", I ask???

HELL! STEFANIE..ahem, excuse me again..Stefanie is lookin' a hell of a lot better at HER age now days than your girl Marlene(whose name btw, you also misspelled here) did at the same age, ya know!

(...you regulars around here will know why I asked this, won't you) ;)

LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For the love of God, please stop typing in all caps. That's been considered a rude manner of online communication for 20 years.

I have to assume you're new to TCM and that you have no idea the variety with which the Star of the Month format is presented. I feel you're getting angry for no good reason.

One time, John Wayne was SOTM, and they showed nothing but John Wayne movies around the clock for like seven days. While usually not that extreme, in other months they bunch together all the SOTM airings in a single week, like they did with Elizabeth Taylor in February. Most months, they space them out to just one or two nights a week spread out over the whole month. The number of movies shown also varies dramatically. One month, when it was Spencer Tracy, they showed 50 movies. One month, when it was Robert Redford, they showed 15. Sometmes, it depends on what they can get. I don't pretend to fully understand the dynamics (somebody always tells me about "licensing agreements" and lets me know I don't know what the hell I'm talking about whenever I suggest there's something like a TCM "library"), but TCM can clearly show movies from MGM, RKO, WB and UA more easily and more cheaply than those from the other major Golden Age studios. Dietrich's early sound career was pretty much all at Paramount, right? So they get what they can get. I thought they did an admirable job with both Dietrich and Holden in showing a number of films not made at the four above-mentioned studios.

The 10th is unusually late for the first night devoted to a SOTM (that isn't one of those one-week only deals), but that also is part of the variety. I'm glad they don't do it the exact same way every month.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The rarest film that TCM will be showing in its Dietrich tribute will also be the only one which, to the best of my knowledge, the channel hasn't shown before:

Martin Roumagnac in the wee hours of the morning on April 25. I've never watched it because the only print I saw of this French film had no English subs.

MV5BNjJiZDEwMWQtYWI4NS00MDllLTgxYWMtYzg4

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Dargo said:

HELL! STEFANIE..ahem, excuse me again..Stefanie is lookin' a hell of a lot better at HER age now days than your girl Marlene(whose name btw, you also misspelled here) did at the same age, ya know!

LOL

If you caught and read my post from yesterday(I think) you'd know I disagree with that claim.  

I'd say that Stefanie is looking a hell of a lot better at her age NOWADAYS than Marlene did at ANY age.   :D

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

If you caught and read my post from yesterday(I think) you'd know I disagree with that claim.  

I'd say that Stefanie is looking a hell of a lot better at her age NOWADAYS than Marlene did at ANY age.   :D

Sepiatone

I agree with you.    Marlene had glamour but it was the entire 'act'.    She really wasn't that good looking on the surface.    Stefanie has a much more natural beauty  (but today while she looks nice, she doesn't look much like the Stefanie I knew).

57 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree with you.    Marlene had glamour but it was the entire 'act'.    She really wasn't that good looking on the surface.    Stefanie has a much more natural beauty  (but today while she looks nice, she doesn't look much like the Stefanie I knew).

Yeah, it's fairly obvious that at now 75 years of age, Stefanie HAS had "some work done" on her.

BUT, at least to Stefanie's credit, whoever HER plastic surgeon was has done one fine job of making her NOT look like so many OTHER actresses of her same age and even younger have turned out looking after going under the knife, and who in SO many cases DEFINITELY "don't look like the actresses we all knew"!

(...and a list of which now days is a rather long one, as you know)

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, it's fairly obvious that at now 75 years of age, Stefanie HAS had "some work done" on her.

BUT, at least to Stefanie's credit, whoever HER plastic surgeon was has done one fine job of making her NOT look like so many OTHER actresses of her same age and even younger have turned out looking after going under the knife, and who in SO many cases DEFINITELY "don't look like the actresses we all knew"!

(...and a list of which now days is a rather long one, as you know)

Yes,  I agree that her surgeon did a great job in that she still looks "natural".      But she was so changed at first I couldn't tell it was her.    

20 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  I agree that her surgeon did a great job in that she still looks "natural".      But she was so changed at first I couldn't tell it was her.    

Really?! Well, I have to say her "re-freshened" appearance never had ME confused about her identity, anyway.

Nope, not one bit.

(...ah but then again and as you probably know, having actually had the pleasure to have once briefly met the gorgeous lady, I MIGHT have an "unfair advantage" over you in these regards!)  ;)

LOL

• Haha 1

Few films contain scenes that can match this scene for pure beauty and artistry. A magical interlude from nearly a century ago. Every aspect is perfect -- the countershots, the action in the background, and of course the young Marlene:

On 4/28/2018 at 5:08 AM, Sepiatone said:

And, as it's called TURNER Classic Movies, and NOT "SEPIATONE Classic Movies",  I find it useless to complain about the line-up. ;)

And if it were called the Gerald's Classic Movies, there really would be an uproar ! ( might be an interesting thread all by itself :lol:)

And yeah, there's always that "legal rights" stuff to factor in, and many of the movies I'D like to see TCM show won't be shown due to that factor is just something I'll have to live with and hope changes or improves over time.  But until then, I'll just have to get what I can from the channel, and lately I've found it pretty interesting.  

TCM is a channel like any other. They just happen to show programming certain people really, REALLY, really like. That doesn't mean they are special. They go through all that other channels go through. Where else am I going to see Marlene films any month ??

With so many new channels coming into existence, and mergers and such, who knows what tomorrow brings ? Maybe some of those films will see the light of day. But, TCM is here now. And there are other channels you can watch and see maybe one classic film sprinkled in with some 80's car chases and such. Go watch those.

And I don't find it particularly classy to pit actors against each other. We all have actors/actresses who are considered great but, we individually don't care for. Why should the world be penalized because I don't like Gary Cooper ? I can wait an hour until the next film comes on. Its no big deal.

I would have hoped this was a thread honoring Marlene's work and style . And getting people ready to watch her films in May. That would have been cool. And more productive.

On 4/27/2018 at 1:19 PM, LawrenceA said:

I'm surprised they're not. TCM and Criterion are connected in many ways, from the FilmStruck website to the majority of TCM Imports being drawn from the Criterion library. 

Anyway, Criterion recently announced a new box set of Dietrich-Von Sternberg movies, and it includes Dishonored. TCM will be showing all 5 of the other films in the set, and they'll most likely be using the remastered hi-def versions from Criterion. But alas, no Dishonored

I know TCM has shown it years ago (possibly the last time she was SOTM) but hasnt in many years. I think I only saw it that one time.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, speedracer5 said:

If TCM didn’t like Marlene Dietrich, why would she be made SOTM? There are 5 Thursdays in May and Dietrich is scheduled for 4/5 of them. Most stars only get 4 spotlight days. Thursday, May 3, is a tribute to Robert Osborne. 

Despite her only being nommed for 1 *Academy Award for 1930's "Morocco" (Paramount)  AFI voted her the #9th all-time female star in 1999