Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What genre of movies & what type of music do TCM members like ?

This is just a way to get to know our fellow members..what movie genre we like & what type of music and musicians you like. I thought it would be neat :)

Its probably been done, but lets do it again since we have new members popping in

For me I tend to like older films in general

*Classics* basically its Noir, Crime/Gangster

I also have a place in my heart for science fiction, fantasy, horror

In recent years I enjoyed the more classic Giallo movies with Mario Bava , Dario Argento (his new stuff stinks though)

Favorites include Wizard of Oz, King Kong 1933, The Maltese Falcon, Godzilla 1954, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (you will need a strong stomach, but these are trule great movies) Psycho, North by Northwest, The Birds, Asphalt Jungle, The Sinbad movies, Onibaba

For Music I enjoy rock and roll, jazz, classical stuff, pop, basically in moderation

My favorite band is Metallica, Some other artists I like are David Bowie, Jazz & Classical stuff that I have no idea who the artists are besides Kenny G., Pat Benatar, Genesis, Nirvana, Nat King Cole, Louie Armstrong...

Im pretty diverse, I guess that keeps me from getting bored or boring LOL :)

Message was edited by: TripleHHH

Fun, fun!!

Genres: Musicals, romantic comedies, and suspense!

Favorites in musicals:

1. Singin In the Rain

2. An American In Paris

3. Anchors Aweigh

4. For Me and My Gal

(all these have one thing in common, what could it be?)

Okay, okay, Non-Gene musicals:

1. Meet Me In St Louis

2. Easter Parade

3. High Society

4. Carefree

Romantic Comedies/Just plain Romance:

1. Born Yesterday

2. It Happened One Night(I don't know if that is considered a romantic comedy, but oh well)

3. The Philadelphia Story

4. Casablanca

5. The Shop Around the Corner

6. The Awful Truth

7. Mr Deeds Goes To Town

Suspense(Thank-you Mr. Hitchcock!):

1. Notorious

2. North By Northwest

3. Rear Window

4. Spellbound

5. Charade(a non-Hitch film)

6. To Catch A Thief

And a few that don't fit into the above categories:

All About Eve

The Three Faces of Eve

Cool Hand Luke

To Kill A Mockingbird

I'm pretty much all over the board when it comes to old movies. But musicals definetly trump all!

Alrighty then, music! I love me some music!

I mostly listen to Classical. But other faves are swing, pop, and country.

My favorite genres would probably be a) romantic comedies, B) dramas (including, but certainly not limited to, more 'pure' romance films), c) gangster films, d) silent comedy; and e) suspense (though not really horror as much 'true' suspense and noir.

My favorite romantic comedies are things like *Ball of Fire, My Man Godfrey, It Happened One Night*, and *My Favorite Wife*....and of course I love all of those Rock Hudson/Doris Day romantic comedies. Those are great.

My favorite dramas are things like *Casablanca, Doctor Zhivago, Gone With the Wind, The Best Years of Our Lives, Captain Blood, Inherit the Wind, All This and Heaven Too, The Razor's Edge*, etc.

My favorite gangster films are...well, pretty much all of those Warner Brothers gangster pictures featuring Cagney, Bogie, and Edward G. Robinson. But I guess my favorites would be *High Sierra, White Heat, Key Largo*, and *The Public Enemy*.

My favorite silent comedy? Two words: Charlie Chaplin. Can't get enough, and favorites include *The Kid, 1 a.m., City Lights, Modern Times, The Gold Rush*. But I also like Buster Keaton alot (especially *The General* and *Our Hospitality* ) and to a lesser extent Harold Lloyd ( *Girl Shy* is a favorite)

My favorite suspense films are tough to call. I love *Double Indemnity, The Strange Love of Martha Ivers* (my two favorite non-Gary Cooper Stanwyck films), *Rear Window, Notorious, North By Northwest, Rebecca* (my favorite Hitchcocks), and *Boomerang* (Dana Andrews best film, IMO). But I also love the 'light' detective genre like *The Thin Man, Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan, The Lone Wolf*, etc.

As for music I enjoy...well, I guess I like rock (60's, 80's & 90's, grunge and alternative) and classical music the best. Not a big fan of country music, rap, or pop. I know it's a big leap between grunge and classical...but there it is. :)

Hola, PKTrekkie -- Inherit the Wind? That one surprised me with you. Gone with the Wind did not. :D I must say, I do like the fact that you're a moll.

What's up, Game? -- I think you already know my tastes in classic film but I doubt you know my musical "tastes." Giallo, eh? Who knew? ;) Metallica and classic film... that's an interesting mix.

Favorite classic film genres:

1. Hitch

Psycho

Rear Window

Vertigo

Strangers on a Train

The 39 Steps

North by Northwest

Shadow of a Doubt

To Catch a Thief

Notorious

Spellbound

2. Film noir

Scarlet Street

Pickup on South Street

Out of the Past

The Third Man

Raw Deal

Fallen Angel

The Killing

The Night of the Hunter

The Big Heat

The Asphalt Jungle

3. Westerns

Once Upon a Time in the West

The Wild Bunch

For a Few Dollars More

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

High Noon

The Searchers

Winchester '73

Forty Guns

Man of the West

The Naked Spur

4. Horror

Val Lewton and Universal.

5. German silents

UFA (Murnau, Lang, Pabst, etc.)

I pretty much like visual films and psychological films.

Favorite music

1. Rap

Eric B. & Rakim

Public Enemy

Ultramagnetic MCs

Gang Starr

Tuff Crew

KRS-One/Boogie Down Productions

EPMD

Big Daddy Kane

Beastie Boys

A Tribe Called Quest

2. 80s pop

Huey Lewis and the News

Human League

Hall & Oates

Duran Duran

The Fixx

Thompson Twins

INXS

A Flock of Seagulls

Prince

Tears for Fears

I actually prefer listening to a mix of artists versus just one. I'm into singles more so than albums.

Hi Frank,

*Inherit the Wind* surprised you, huh? Well, I love Spencer Tracy and this is one of my favorite of his films. I love him in all the ones with Kate and also the two Father of the Bride flicks...but Inherit the Wind is one compelling film! And his character is super-cool. This one, Boy's Town, and Bad Day At Black Rock, combined with the ones already mentioned are probably my favorite of Spencer Tracy's films. Although I have seen most of his films and there is only one so far that I dislike - Tortilla Flat, which is one of the most annoying movies ever made, IMO. I love Spencer Tracy and John Garfield as a rule, but wow is that film annoying! :D

Anyway, Inherit the Wind was just a great movie - Spencer Tracy is great, Fredric March is great, and Gene Kelly is great, even though he doesn't dance a step.

Your lists really didn't surprise me - at least the film part. I was kinda surprised you are a rap fan. But other than that, I wasn't surprised by anything. Sadly, we do not share a single musical interest with the exception of Prince and Huey Lewis and the News. My interests are much more around Bruce Springsteen (my hero), The Police, U2, REM, Journey, .38 Special, Guns & Roses, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails, The Gin Blossoms, Counting Crows, Bon Jovi, The Black Crows, Matchbox 20, Alanis Morissette, Fuel, Daughtry, etc. And yes, I like Nickelback - I don't care if it's cool to hate them. :D

I will say this though - although I am not particularly a big horror fan, I do like Val Lewton. His films are not blood and gore sort of stuff. They are much more sophisticated. I don't buy many DVD sets of horror films, but I did buy the Val Lewton set that came out a few months ago. I watched some of the films they showed on TCM about that time, and really liked them.

My favorite genre of movies is Sci-Fi.....then Noir, Action, Comedy.

Favorite music....ANYTHING from Jimi Hendrix!!!!!!!....I also love Scorpions, Led Zep, Allman Brothers, the Doors, Styx.....classic rock in general. But...I do like classical and some Jazz, like Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa (love those drummers).

What's up, B? -- It's always great to see you around, even if it's for a little. I see you are your fiery yourself today, too. :D

Inherit the Wind surprised you, huh?

Yaw.

Well, I love Spencer Tracy and this is one of my favorite of his films. I love him in all the ones with Kate and also the two Father of the Bride flicks...but Inherit the Wind is one compelling film! And his character is super-cool. This one, Boy's Town, and Bad Day At Black Rock, combined with the ones already mentioned are probably my favorite of Spencer Tracy's films.

I knew you were a Spencer fan but I was surprised to see you list Inherit the Wind amongst your very favorites. Inherit the Wind is in my top ten for all-time favorite films. Do you like Fury?

Although I have seen most of his films and there is only one so far that I dislike - Tortilla Flat, which is one of the most annoying movies ever made, IMO. I love Spencer Tracy and John Garfield as a rule, but wow is that film annoying!

I've never Tortilla Flat but you just made me laugh.

Anyway, Inherit the Wind was just a great movie - Spencer Tracy is great, Fredric March is great, and Gene Kelly is great, even though he doesn't dance a step.

I love Gene Kelly in the film. He just lays it on thick. I'm glad he didn't dance a step. ;)

Your lists really didn't surprise me - at least the film part.

I'm predictably boring.

I was kinda surprised you are a rap fan.

Most people are. I'm guessing there may be only one other rap fan on this board and that's it.

Sadly, we do not share a single musical interest with the exception of Prince and Huey Lewis and the News.

Sadly? I really don't expect many people on the TCM board to share my interests in music. You do gain big points for mentioning you like Huey, though. Most people don't. ;)

My interests are much more around Bruce Springsteen (my hero), Journey, .38 Special, Guns & Roses, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails, The Gin Blossoms, Counting Crows, Bon Jovi, The Black Crows, Matchbox 20, Alanis Morissette, Fuel, Daughtry, etc.

I like The Boss, Journey, and .38 Special. I actually have a "best of" cd of .38 Special. I went from 80s pop to rap in the late-80s and you went grunge/alternative. Of the artists you list, I like Nine Inch Nails the most.

I will say this though - although I am not particularly a big horror fan, I do like Val Lewton. His films are not blood and gore sort of stuff. They are much more sophisticated. I don't buy many DVD sets of horror films, but I did buy the Val Lewton set that came out a few months ago. I watched some of the films they showed on TCM about that time, and really liked them.

Was that the first time you watched Lewton's films? What Lewton pics have you watched?

Lewton's "horror" films are my favorite because they are horrors of the mind. I'm crazy for psychological flicks. :)

Our tastes really don't intertwine that much. The closest would be Bogie and Missy. That's a pretty good 1-2 punch, though.

My favorite movie genres are classic horror (1945 & prior); the pre-Code/early talkie era; B-movies (1945 & prior).

My favorite music is Motown (1964-70)...Supremes; Four Tops; Martha Reeves; Temptations; Kim Weston; Jimmy Ruffin; et al.

Hey Frank its the Game

Ive read your posts so I had an idea of your tastes..

Yes Giallo; a total different genre that doesnt get much love or attention in here, well anyway thats because its TCM, classics :)

There are chat forums for Giallo somewhere

I also like William Powell Thin Man movies and there is a movie called Kennel Murder Case that both Alpha and the Roan Group released. I love this film truly fantastic short mystery. It is a Warner movie, so maybe they will release a definitive version..

_Favorite Type of Movies_

I'll watch anything that resembles film noir. After that, anything directed by...

Orson Welles

Jacques Tourneur

Carl Th. Dreyer

Samuel Fuller

John Cassavetes

Fritz Lang

Erich von Stroheim

Sergei Eisenstein

Robert Bresson

F.W. Murnau

...or with Timothy Carey (a genre unto himself).

_Favorite Type of Music_

I like just about everything other than art song (lieder), Metal, MOR/Adult Contemporary, New Age, & schlocky jazz.

*No. 1*: Southern Soul from early '60s to early '70s. Anything on Stax, Hi, Goldwax or recorded at Fame Studios or Muscle Shoals.

Favorite performers (or composers):

W.A. Mozart

Charles Ives

Edgar Varese

Aarvo Part

Thelonius Monk

Miles Davis

John Coltrane

Charles Mingus

Albert Ayler

Tony Bennett

Louis Jordan & the Tympany Five

Hank Williams

Howlin' Wolf

The Drifters (with Clyde McPhatter)

Sam Cooke

The Soul Stirrers

Little Richard

Jerry Lee Lewis

Buddy Holly/The Crickets

The Beach Boys (through Surf's Up)/Brian Wilson

Bob Dylan

The Kinks/Ray Davies

The Zombies

The Byrds

Love

Sam & Dave

The Velvet Underground

Big Star

Brian Eno

The Ramones

The Talking Heads

The Mekons

The Go-Betweens

Sebadoh

Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five

Afrika Bambaataa (& his various permutations)

Moby

Miss G (predictably) loves lists! And my picks are not surprising to anyone here I'm sure.

Favorite Genres: (these are virtually entirely limited to pre-1970 movies)

Drama/Romance (this includes romantic noirs)

Western

Romantic Comedy

Favorite Music:

Pop Standards (aka "The Great American Songbook" which includes anything by Sinatra)

Swing

Classical

Movie Soundtracks

Pop (late 60s thru early 80s)

and "schmaltz" (Bossa Nova, "Ultra Lounge" type stuff, Percy Faith et al)

Favorite Genres:

Westerns. (almost anything.)

Comedy / Romantic Comedy. (From Jean Arthur to the Marx Brothers.)

Mystery / Suspense

Favorite Music:

Classic Rock - (Beatles, Moody Blues, Fogelberg)

Classical. (Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky)

Jazz - (Rippingtons, Ken Navarro, Fourplay)

Pop - (Andy Williams, etc.)

Contemporary Christian.

Some people are trying to convert me to Bruce Springsteen. So far no luck.

Any great classic film from the 1920's , 1930's , 1940's and any good 1950' s science fiction movie. Music country ( Reba , George Strait , Kenny Chesney and Sara Evans ) , R&B ( Janet Jackson and Beyounce ) and Rock Def Leppard and Whitesnake.

Well I always seem to have trouble with these sort of questions pertaining to movies. I like pretty much everything except operettas and I want to like those. Does this make me well rounded or shallow? I don't know.

Anyway *films* Yes It's a long list:

Comedies - The Marx Brothers, Bob Hope, Powell/Loy films, Ealing Studios comedies, W. C. Fields, Peter Sellers, etc.

Film Noir - Out of the Past, Detour, Impact. Double Imdemity etc.

Westerns - John Wayne, John Ford etc

Horror - Val Lewton, Universal classics, Lon Chaney, The Innocents, Night of the Living Dead, Carnival of Souls etc.

Musicals - early Warners, Fred with and without Ginger, Garland, 40's Fox,

Pre-codes - Just about everything.

Silents - The Crowd, Buster Keaton, Murnau, Vidor, Pickford, Gish etc.

Adventure - Mutiny on the Bounty (1935), The Adventures of Robin Hood, Treasure Island (1950)

Science Fiction - Loves those 1950's films

Anything with or by Hawks, Hitchcock, Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Gloria Grahame, Robert Mitchum, Doris Day, Jack Carson, Clark Gable, Jean Harlow , James Cagney, Ann Sheridan, Bogie with or with out Bacall etc, etc, etc.

*Music* - The Standards: Porter, The Gershwins, Berlin

Classic Rock, Sixties Pop, 80's new wave, Motown, Sinatra, Billie Holiday , Bessie Smith, Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald (Love those song books cd's), The Beatles, Velvet Underground, Hank Williams, The Carter Family, Patsy Cline

I once started a college party with the songs of the Andrews Sisters. It went over very well.

Tough question, but here goes for the answer:

*Movies:* Romantic/screwball comedies (especially if they star my all-time favorite actress, Carole Lombard, or my all-time favorite actor, William Powell); most pre-Codes; "Citizen Kane"; just about anything directed by Ernst Lubitsch; many silents; some 1950s musicals; and even a few westerns.

*Music:* Many genres -- 1950s, '60s and some '70 rock; some "new wave"; rhythm and blues, and soul (both Motown and Stax); jazz from the 1920s through the '50s; the "great American songbook" (Sinatra, Crosby, Fitzgerald, Bennett, Cole, Armstrong, Holiday); some classic country (Hank Williams Sr.); a bit of classical; and Elvis Costello (whatever genre he's in at the moment). Not much for heavy metal or rap.

I think that I zig zag all over the place.

For instance- Touch Of Evil is one of my most favorite movies EVAR, with one of the best soundtracks (in the music arena, soundtracks make up a big segment of my collection-I'm continually fascinated by how it it is used in film). But if you put Xanadu on telly, I'm so there.

I'm still discovering all that silent film has to offer. I LO-ooove Busby Berkeley, gangster and noir, pre codes....I've tried, god knows I've tried to like Westerns, but I just cannot do it. Sadly it's the same with a lot of war movies-it just doesn't do it for me. Casablanca, Streetcar Named Desire, Rear Window. And yes, I watch Ten Commandments every Easter-with lines like "You there, come here", I simply cannot miss it. I love the Thin Man series. Pretty much anything with Errol Flynn. GODZILLA!!!

I will listen to almost anything except Country/Western. I make exceptions for Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline and Hank Williams. I loathe Elvis. Yeah, I said it. I love Big Band/Swing and it is great background music for a party. If I'm facing a deadline at work or I'm stressed I will plug in a little Danzig or classic eighties hardcore. Mostly I lean alternative.

FrankG (may I call you Grimey?), thanks for the Public Enemy mention-one of the best bands ever. :)

Hiya, Minya -- FrankG (may I call you Grimey?),

Of course!

thanks for the Public Enemy mention-one of the best bands ever.

Wow! There's actually another person on this board who likes one of my favorite rap

groups. Public Enemy #1. Bring the noise, girl.

I like your trashy dame tastes. ;)Touch of Evil works for me.

Hey, Mickeeteeze -- I like anything by Brando, Marx Bros, James Whale, WC Fields, Orson Welles, Capra, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Coppola, Scorcese, Coens, and lots of others.

Browning, Chaney, Flynn, Mitchum, etc.....

You've got style, my man.

What's up, Game -- You're not gonna swerve me with your sledgehammer, are you?

Ive read your posts so I had an idea of your tastes..

Ahhh, very good!

Yes Giallo; a total different genre that doesnt get much love or attention in here, well anyway thats because its TCM, classics There are chat forums for Giallo somewhere

This is your thread, Trip. How many Bava films have you seen? Bava began his career in the late-30s and he began directing in the mid-40s, by the way. That's classic to me.

I also like William Powell Thin Man movies and there is a movie called Kennel Murder Case that both Alpha and the Roan Group released. I love this film truly fantastic short mystery. It is a Warner movie, so maybe they will release a definitive version..

I saw that you mentioned your liking The Kennel Murder Case on another thread. I've yet to watch a single Thin Man film. I'm sure I'll like most of them because of Myrna.

Hey there, ChiO, My Hero -- You are highly impressive. I already knew about your impeccable film taste, but your musical tastes are just as impressive. I've always thought to myself, what kind of music I would like if I grew up in the 60s, and I'm pretty darn sure it would be soul. Most of the music I like is influenced by soul.

You earned serious points with me for mentioning Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five and Afrika Bambaataa. I'm always looking for the perfect beat.

Hi, Molo -- A fellow Gloria Grahame fan is gonna get a shout out from me. ;) I really like your tastes. F.W. Murnau, eh?

Ciao, Mrs. Sinatra -- Miss G (predictably) loves lists!

Swoon!

And my picks are not surprising to anyone here I'm sure.

:D

Drama/Romance (this includes romantic noirs)

There are romantic noirs? Really? :)

You forgot to mention the Coen Brothers. I guess they just slipped your mind. I'll add them

to your list for you. :P

Music:

Mostly soundtracks. Ones I am listening to most often right now:

*Cinema Paradiso* (The imported disc)

*Lost Season 1 and 2*

*Cider House Rules*

*3:10 to Yuma*

Soundtracks I love:

*To Kill a Mockingbird*

*Great Escape*

*Chinatown*

*LA Confidential*

*Legend of Bagger Vance*

*Benny and Joone*

PBS soundtracks by Brian Keane (esp. his score for Ric Burns doc *New York*)

*The Wind and the Lion*

*The Searchers*

*Young Mr Lincoln*

*Liberty Valance*

Most anything by Carl Davis

*Carnivale* by Jeff Beale

Movie genres:

Westerns and then everything else.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

I really love the Carnivale soundtrack too! Shawshank Redemption is amazing-not only do you have this beautiful, haunting score but also Hank Williams, the Ink Spots (with one of my all time favorite songs) and Mozart!!! Yow!

A soundtrack that was a revelation-The Illusionist. Phillip Glass makes unbelievably gorgeous music when he steps away from the synth.

Hi Frank,

I like your film choices. The Searchers, Winchester '73, Pickup on South Street, all the Hitch, and how could I have not mentioned The Big Heat.

*A fellow Gloria Grahame fan is gonna get a shout out from me*

I'll probably be bumping GG's thread up tomorrow with my take on that Merton movie I'm watching tonight.

*I pretty much like visual films and psychological films*

I really like some psychological tension in my films.

*Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Thompson Twins, INXS????*

Hey throw in The Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode and a couple of bong hits and that pretty much describes my old gang on a Friday night...uh... "back in the day" ...as they say.

I myself never inhaled of course!

Message was edited by: molo14 for the sake of propriety

Hey, Molo -- I like your film choices. The Searchers, Winchester '73, Pickup on South Street, all the Hitch, and how could I have not mentioned The Big Heat.

Thanks.

I'll probably be bumping GG's thread up tomorrow with my take on that Merton movie I'm watching tonight.

Double G needs the bump. I taped the film but I didn't watch it. So goes my life. I'm going to try to watch A Woman's Secret coming up. So goes my life.

I pretty much like visual films and psychological films

I really like some psychological tension in my films.

I'm into tortured romances and films about messed-up folks.

Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Thompson Twins, INXS????

Hey throw in The Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode and a couple of bong hits and that pretty much describes my old gang on a Friday night...uh... "back in the day" ...as they say.

I myself never inhaled of course!

:D I didn't like Depeche Mode, The Cure, and New Order when they were hittin', but now I kind of like them, especially Depeche Mode.

I was heavy into rap by the late-80s. You'd be hard-pressed to find too many white guys who were into rap as much as I was then. I pretty much kept up with the scene until the mid-90s and I've only dabbled in it since.

I really love the Carnivale soundtrack too! >>

Minya,

I loved the show as much as I love the soundtrack. I love both seasons of the show and the soundtrack.

As for *Shawshank* count me in as a lover of the film and of the soundtrack. Great work by Thomas Newman with some wonderful atmospheric recordings such as the Ink Spots and Hank Williams, Sr.

I loved Carnivale and I was pretty miffed when they cancelled it. I didn't have cable when it came out so I borrowed the first season from the library and watched pretty much in one sitting. My initial reaction was 'Wow, someone REALLY like David Lynch' but then, so do I (Lost Highway is another lethal film/soundtrack combo for me), and it was Lynchian in atmosphere but it wasn't a ripoff.

Someone earlier in this thread (I think!) was trying to decide what came first books or movies-for me it was books. I can't ever remember when they weren't around or when I didn't always have at least one with me. I was surrounded with both movies and music, but I didn't realize their impact until later. Which brings a question to mind-we all love classic film because well, it's classic. But is there a film, classic or otherwise that you love simply because you can pinpoint what you were doing when you saw it? The aforementioned Lost Highway is that for me-I remember distinctly where I was and what was going on in my life when that movie came out (not the least of which was watching my best friend's very petite sister trying to throw a drunk out of the Egyptian after the movie was over) and it was a really great time for me, and while I consider it to be a great movie anyway, I think part of my love is because of that time.

Hi Frank,

*knew you were a Spencer fan but I was surprised to see you list Inherit the Wind amongst your very favorites. Inherit the Wind is in my top ten for all-time favorite films. Do you like Fury?*

Actually, Fury is one of the few that I've not seen. But more than likely I will like it. I really love Spencer Tracy - his 'matter-of-fact' way of acting really appeals to me.

*I've never Tortilla Flat but you just made me laugh.*

Heh. Well, you know me - I calls 'em as I sees 'em. ;)

But yeah...I find Spencer Tracy's character to be incredibly annoying in Tortilla Flat. John Garfield's character is okay...but Spencer Tracy's character is a dopey moocher and annoys me. Spence did a good job - I just don't like his character.

*I love Gene Kelly in the film. He just lays it on thick. I'm glad he didn't dance a step. ;)*

(in Inherit the Wind)

Yep. I think this was a good opportunity for Gene to shine in a role that was purely dramatic and which plays against type for him. He did really well with that whole cynical reporter thing.

*I'm guessing there may be only one other rap fan on this board and that's it.*

Maybe. I don't know that many people here anymore, to be honest. But yeah...just as a guess I wouldn't think rap would be all that popular among your average TCM viewers.

Of course, alternative rock probably isn't all that popular either. Hehehehe...

*Sadly? I really don't expect many people on the TCM board to share my interests in music. You do gain big points for mentioning you like Huey, though. Most people don't. ;)*

I like Huey Lewis and the News. In fact, I saw them in concert once back in the 80's, when they were at the peak of their popularity. 6th row seats. It rocked. :D

*I like The Boss, Journey, and .38 Special. I actually have a "best of" cd of .38 Special. I went from 80s pop to rap in the late-80s and you went grunge/alternative. Of the artists you list, I like Nine Inch Nails the most.*

Well, no one can top The Boss in my book. I've actually even had backstage passes to one of his concerts and hung with him for a while once - one of my absolute coolest brushes with greatness.

And really, it's pretty hard to dislike Journey. Their sound was pretty mainstream...although uniquely Journey (mostly because of Steve Perry and Steve Augeri).

I do tend to like 'heavier' sounds - not light pop. It's why I like alternative. Nothing like driving down the freeway with 3 Doors Down's "Krytonite" blasting on the stereo really loud!

*Was that the first time you watched Lewton's films? What Lewton pics have you watched?*

*Lewton's "horror" films are my favorite because they are horrors of the mind. I'm crazy for psychological flicks. :)*

I watched a couple of the films when TCM did that Val Lewton series a few months back. I watched Cat People and I Walked With a Zombie and really enjoyed them both. I also saw parts of The Seventh Victim but was doing other stuff at the time so did not have a chance to really concentrate as I'd have liked. Based on that, I purchased the entire boxed set, although I've not gotten around to watching any of the films yet. I did watch the documentary about him too...and based on that, I think I'm especially keen to watch The Curse of the Cat People.

And yes...you hit on exactly the reason I like him - I don't care at all for slasher movies, blood & guts, zombies eating brains, etc. But Val Lewton's stuff is not like that.

I also like vampire films...but that comes from an interest I have in vampires coming out of my other big hobby - scifi TV.