Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What genre of movies & what type of music do TCM members like ?

TripleHHH

You forgot to mention the Coen Brothers. I guess they just slipped your mind. I'll add them

to your list for you.

The only classic movie COHN that registers with me is HARRY. You can keep those others OFF of MY list permanently PLEASE.

Hi Movieman,

*Classic Rock - (Beatles, Moody Blues, Fogelberg)*

*Classical. (Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky)*

*Jazz - (Rippingtons, Ken Navarro, Fourplay)*

*Pop - (Andy Williams, etc.)*

*Contemporary Christian.*

*Some people are trying to convert me to Bruce Springsteen. So far no luck.*

Okay..l.so you gain huge points for included Dan Fogelberg (and yes - I've been in mourning since December - one of the toughest celebrity deaths I've dealt with in recent years and I'm still totally bummed about it and get all teary-ended when I play any of his music - of which I have ALOT. Made a cool avatar for him though.)

But then you lose the points for disliking Springsteen. Springsteen rocks all over TOWN!!!! hehehehe...

And while I'm not totally up to speed on Contemporary Christian, I have always liked John Michael Talbot. And I do like that group Caedmon's Call as they sound kind of alternative - at least on the one album of theirs that I own: "Forty Acres".

*I'm still discovering all that silent film has to offer. I LO-ooove Busby Berkeley, gangster and noir, pre codes....I've tried, god knows I've tried to like Westerns, but I just cannot do it. Sadly it's the same with a lot of war movies-it just doesn't do it for me. Casablanca, Streetcar Named Desire, Rear Window. And yes, I watch Ten Commandments every Easter-with lines like "You there, come here", I simply cannot miss it. I love the Thin Man series. Pretty much anything with Errol Flynn. GODZILLA!!!*

Just a couple of things:

I'm trying to warm up to westerns too, but am finding it really difficult. With the exception of the REALLY good ones like Stagecoach and The Searchers, the only other westerns I can work up an interest in are westerns that include either Gary Cooper or Errol Flynn.

So you are not alone on that count.

I'm a bit better with war pictures....although I can get into a war picture better if it has some sort of big romantic component included or if it is about more 'civilian' sorts of people (real civilians, doctors, etc) caught up in war as opposed to actual soldiers killing each other.

Although I will say that Objective, Burma! is one of my favorite Flynn pictures...and I'm not sure there is a single woman in that movie! And it does have a pretty high body count.

*I will listen to almost anything except Country/Western. I make exceptions for Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline and Hank Williams. I loathe Elvis. Yeah, I said it. I love Big Band/Swing and it is great background music for a party. If I'm facing a deadline at work or I'm stressed I will plug in a little Danzig or classic eighties hardcore. Mostly I lean alternative.*

Alternative? Did someone in this thread say alternative? :D

You did make me think of something though, and I have to wonder if most people who dislike Country music as a rule have a few artists they like. I'm not a big fan of Country...and I don't care for Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, etc...but I do like a couple of country artists: Garth Brooks and The Dixie Chicks. I also used to like Alabama.

But that about sums up my interest in country.

Hi

So am I back to even?

Fogelberg was hard for me too. I really admired his talent, his songwriting and he played everything but drums. He crafted a song so well and through so many genres. I always loved the line form "Beggar's Game" - "The candles glistened and the water gleamed. She drew a bath and the windows steamed. She looked like every woman ever dreamed in the heart of a lonely man."

So many great songs. (I'd like to see your avatar sometime. I know where there is a collection.)

Springsteen, I at least plan on investigating him on a lyric level. I'm sorry but I just don't enjoy his singing style. Too rough for me. He sounds like he's passing a kidney stone sometimes.

What are some of your favorite Fogelberg songs/albums? (I'll talk Dan all you want.)

Chris,

I'm not sure if I have mentioned this but you might check out Bruce's album *The River*. It is filled with great songs about the human condition, some serious, some poignant and some just a lot of fun.

It may be my favorite Springsteen album though I am not ready to make that official yet. :)

Lynn:

You did. My local library doesn't have it but as my wife likes Bruce she probablty won't mind if I have to buy a copy.

I did impress my brothers-in-law once (and maybe only once.) One plays guitar and one time we were playing through some music. He started a Bruce song and after 4 or 5 measures I joined him. He was surprised I played it so well for not having heard it. Frankly, it was a realtively simple song (pretty straight forward chords) so I didn't do a lot to dissuade them of their newly found respect for me. (Don't remember the song.)

Me

*Fogelberg was hard for me too. I really admired his talent, his songwriting and he played everything but drums. He crafted a song so well and through so many genres. I always loved the line form "Beggar's Game" - "The candles glistened and the water gleamed. She drew a bath and the windows steamed. She looked like every woman ever dreamed in the heart of a lonely man."*

*So many great songs. (I'd like to see your avatar sometime. I know where there is a collection.)*

*Springsteen, I at least plan on investigating him on a lyric level. I'm sorry but I just don't enjoy his singing style. Too rough for me. He sounds like he's passing a kidney stone sometimes.*

*What are some of your favorite Fogelberg songs/albums? (I'll talk Dan all you want.)*

Well, I'll make my comment about Bruce first and get that out of the way: yeah, his singing style is rough, and I can understand how some don't like it. But his singing style is sorta part of the package - he came out of a sort of Jersey working-class background and even though he is likely richer than God at this point, he still sort of has that mentality, I think...and his songs reflect that. I think that is what makes him unique...and I think that's why his fans love him - he is the 'everyman rockstar', if you know what I mean.

But yeah - it's not for everyone. I was just giving you a hard time. ;)

As for Dan Fogelberg, I will send you the avatar as it came out pretty well - I'll send it to you at SSO or something. I used it on my scifi board for about 6 weeks, even though many of the kids on there probably didn't even know who he was. If you post anywhere and want to use it, feel free - I made it for Dan as my own little memorial, as frankly, I didn't know what else to do with my grief;.

And yeah...I think this is the first celebrity death that has effected me on a personal level very deeply. I mean, I love so many classic film stars that have died, and am always sad to see them go...and there have been lots of rock star/band member deaths over the years. But Dan Fogelberg was different - chiefly because he was a poet, and his songs reflected a part of HIM. His songs were not something he pounded out for the next album without a thought in an effort to get a hit diddy. I think his songs MEANT something to him...and no doubt most of them have one real life story or another behind them.

That is what made him different. And that is what made his fans (or at least this fan) believe that we knew him better than we knew most celebrities. Because you can't write songs like that for a hit machine. That sort of writing can only come from deep within a person.

Anyway, that's how I felt about him...and have felt that way since I became a fan WAAAAAYYY back into the old days. I think the first album I noticed when it came out was Netherlands, so I've been a fan a very long time. But I remember when lots of different albums came out because that music was never background music to me...it was a part of my life.

That may sound very cheesy...but somehow, I doubt not.... because I think most longtime fans feel the same way. I don't see how they could not, to be honest.

As for my favorite songs and albums...well, I really love Souvenirs to death - especially the title song, Illinois, and There's a Place in the World for a Gambler. But I also love the albums The Innocent Age, Twin Sons of Different Mothers, Captured Angel, Home Free (I really love the song Hickory Grove and most others. And of course, who could not love Leader of the Band?...especially when one knows the background of Dan and his father. But I think the song that gets me every time is Tuscon, Arizona. It is a real showcase of Dan's talent - as a storyteller, a lyricist, and most of all, as a brilliant classical guitar technician. The night he died, I played that song on my iPod about a million times and cried. It was terrible.

Heh...I'm even tearing up right now, just thinking about him...and it's been almost 4 months since he died. Can't think of a single other celebrity ever who has done THAT to me!

Dan was far too young to leave us. He had alot of poetry still within him....and he will be sorely missed - at least by me. He's really the only musician who I have consistently loved, ever since I was a teenager...and I have alot of personal history tied up in his music.

I'd love to hear your further thoughts. Because I have to tell you - I am still not at all over his death, and really need to talk about him, to be honest.

Thanks for sharing about Dan. I'm not as affected as you. Not sure why. I knew he had been sick for some time and I knew it was serious so maybe I had in some way prepared myself.

I agree about Dan as poet and story teller. "Gazette: Tucson Arizona" is one of my favorite's too. Sad story told in an interesting way. (As a side note I have many of his songbooks and still love to play them on my piano. That is one of them.) "Windows and Walls" is equally sad but for a whole different reason. Even "Sweet Magnolia" and "Believe in Me" are sweet. He sang of love and of lost love. No emotion went untouched. Whether the nostalgia of an old girlfriend (Same Old Lang Syne) or the questioning of one's heart (Wysteria) he entered in and found a way to speak to those feelings. He spoke to the art of love ("Hearts and Crafts.") I love the line in it as the conversation went about whether love was an art "And I said it was more a craft." So true.

He was an equally gifted musician and music writer. Whether it was the drive of "Phoenix" or the gentleness of "The Sand and The Foam" each kind was masterfully crafted. Imaginitive chord structures were filled with interesting arrangements. And could he sing harmony!

I had a CD of different things. "To The Morning" and "Missing You" and "Lonely In Love" and "Since You've Asked" (even though it's Judy Collins' tune it is very much his) are mixed among a dozen other songs that go straight to what I know. They speak because at some point I've been there. I write songs and his are what I try to measure to. Coming well short is a feeling I am used to. I explained to my daughter one time that classical music was "Sitting down" music. It was music to be paid attention to. It was music to absorb. Dan, in his way, was the same. You are right it was not background. It begged to be paid attention to.

I first heard him on the radio with "Part Of The Plan." That album hooked me. I saw him in concert twice. Once after "Phoenix" came out and once after "No Resemblance Whatsoever." Both were wonderful times. He didn't take his music or us for granted.

Anyone who could write love songs, jazz, buegrass, pop and rock and all with equal strength and confidence is someone to be remembered. To the masses he was "Longer" but oh the things they will miss if that is all they ever know.

You and I love many of the same albums and songs. Frankly, I think he got better as his radio popularity waned. (And his best work never got on the radio.) But at different times in my life his songs speak differently to me. He was a few years older than me but he often spoke for me.

We will always have the music. And that we can share (as often as you care to.)

Chris

As an experienced pianist, old films stimulate me with their background music! They expressed themselves very differently, and it is all part of the charm. For the last eight years, I have been learning the style of piano common to the 1920's and 30's. It IS a whole different game than what you would have to know as a contemporary keyboardist

My passion takes me to the early Paramount and Warner productions, especially the "pre-code" era. There even was a distinctly "pre-code" sound as well, meant to suggest brash sassiness and sensuality. Mae West's "I'm No Angel" is a prime example; listen to the shrill high pitched horns and syncopated rhythms of that large and very capable Paramount orchestra! Cuban style music was also popular then, and I like working with that as well. I even go to the silent era, since musical sountracks were furnished to silents after 1927. I look for good material from any old movie source, and then arrange and duplicate the piece, chords, melody and all. I often have my DVD playing laptop on the piano to guide me through it. I am not "reinterpreting", I am doing the music the way it was meant. I wish to bring that living musical fire back into the world, and to bring that era back to life in the present!

This is a form of "cultural archeology", and I am "excavating" in the 1920's and 30's "strata". I don't think musicologists have studied the popular music (as opposed to jazz and blues) of that time sufficiently, nor do I think very many of them could play the music as it was meant to be back then.

I extend the most heartfelt invitation for other qualified individuals to join me in doing this. There is plenty of material to review and produce. I do it out of love for the music, the era and for the memory of the brilliant individuals that gave it to us. They WILL live on!

To render the music properly, you will need the kind of musical ear that allows you to pick up the melody and intricate chord progressions- without sheet music to guide you of course. It's called listen and play. Even if you do find commercial sheet music, it won't capture all the glory of the film track version. Also, the music was very orchestral and textured, and so your playing will have to reflect that. Finally, learn to play the tenth interval and swing it, because that's what they did back then. The tenth was the rage, and all "hot" pianists were expected to deploy it's sound and power. Unfortunately, many do not have hands big enough for the tenth. If you do it right, you will get a result that blows people away!

I hope I inspire someone out there. We need whole armies of people going through these films and scouring them for just the music alone.

with love,

Thelma