Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Haunted Hollywood

ThelmaTodd

In the thread titled "Your favorite film books", I mentioned books dealing with Hollywood hauntings. This is an incredibly fascinating subject! I would welcome the feedback and personal experiences of those who have gone on "haunted tours" throughout Tinseltown. Even more welcome would be hearing from those who have conducted, or worked with paranormal researchers and psychic mediums on location.

Show business takes a lot out of the heart and soul of an individual, especially when they are always putting their lives (and sanity) on the line, for the next performance or film. The resultant heartbreak and depression (sometimes followed by suicide), leaves a palpable imprint that can be sensed not just while the performer is alive, but also after they are gone.

My own experiences with hauntings go back to playing the piano at a large 1920's movie palace, that used to feature a lot of live vaudeville performances. It is an ancient superstition in the acting profession that all old theaters are haunted. I believe it.

Thelma

I haven't had any 'haunted' experiences per se but I have seen some stuff that's in films. There's one that's in the movie 'Three Men and a Baby' where there is said to be a ghost boy. I've seen the shadow of the boy in the movie, it's really creepy. You can see it on youtube. The other is apparently in 'The Wizard of Oz'. It's supposed to be when they are walking down the yellowbrick road and you look in the far background and there is something swinging from the trees and it's said to be someone committing suicude. It's creepy too.

Actual experiences though? That would be interesting....

I have heard the "Wizard of Oz" legend that moviegirl mentions. The fact is, "Movieland" has fostered a lot of suicide! You could write a whole book about Hollywood suicides alone! Of strong paranormal interest:

1) The Jean Harlow house. Supercreepy. Sharon Tate (one of the Manson victims.) spent the night here, saw Paul Bern's ghost (another suicide), ran and saw a mutilated vision of herself at the bottom of a staircase. Too weird.

2)Chaplin studios

3)Mae West's old apartment

4) My beloved user name sake's old "Sidewalk Cafe" by the Pacific Coast Highway and the garage where she was found. May she rest in peace!

The list can and should go on. Let others share their experiences!

Thelma

Thelma Todd's suicide (or unsolved murder) and her allegedly haunted resting place are mentioned in "Live Fast, Die Young: The Making of 'Rebel Without A Cause'."

Some of the actors cast as juvenile delinquents in the film broke into the Sidewalk Cafe after hours in search of Thelma's ghost...or free booze...or both.

No personal haunted Hollywood stories but I do remember these two:

Jayne Mansfield owned a mansion which was nicknamed The Pink Palace since it was her favorite color and had many rooms painted and decorated in pink. Years after her death, the new homeowners tried to paint over one of the rooms but the pink color kept coming through even after several layers of paint.

In George ("Superman") Reeves' home where he committed suicide (also rumored to be murder), people reported hearing a gunshot and then someone moaning.

BTW, the "Three Men and A Baby" haunting is fake. The little boy reportedly seen is a stand-up cutout that was used in one of the actors previous movies. I forget offhand whose it was -- Steve Guttenberg, Tom Selleck or Ted Danson's.

Message was edited by: edonline

Thanks for the very interesting link coopsgirl. I hope others take a look.

I also hope that some TCM viewers in the LA area get inspired to learn more, and possibly reach out to paranormal investigation groups in Los Angeles! There is a lot of investigating to do. I understand that the American Indian inhabitants original to the LA area believed that the Hollywood hills were a very bad place, exceedingly haunted and possessing a very negative "fungshui" which made the area unfit for human habitation. The Jean Harlow house, located in a box canyon, seems to be the place of some very evil energy. Much as I like her, I would not want to take up residence there!

Thelma

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings