Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LOS ANGELES CONSERVANCY'S LAST REMAINING SEATS CLASSICMOVIE FESTIVAL

BEGINNING JUNE 2ND THERE WILL BE THE 36TH ANNUAL "THE LAST REMAINING SEATS" AT THE CLASSIC MOVIE PLACES MOSTLY AT DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES.

THE FIRST FILM WILL BE "MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON" AT THE LOS ANGELES THEATRE.  THE TICKETS ARE $20.OO PER EVENT UNLESS YOU ARE A CONSERVANCY MEMBER.  THE EVENTS PROCEEDS GO TO HISTORIC PRESERVATION IN THE LOS ANGELES .THE CONSERVANCY HAS DONE TERRIFIC  THINGS SAVING IMPORTANT HISTORIC BUILDING SUCH AS THE GRAND ART DECO WILTERN THEATRE/PALLIISER BUILDING AT WILSHIRE AND WESTERN AVENUES.  IT WAS ONCE A SHOWCASE THETRE FOR WARNER BROTHERS FILMS DURING THE 1930S AND 40S.IF ANYBODY LIVES OR LIVED IN LOS ANGELES YOU WOULD KNOW WHAT AN IMPORTANT ARCHITECTURAL GEM IT IS. T SPARKLES IN ITS TURQUOISE SPLENDOR. I WILL POST SOME PHOTOS OF IT. I.  FINALLY, THE CONSERVANCY BECAME AN ADVOCACY GROUP TO FIGHT BEURACRATS IN THE CITY AND THE OWNERS TO SAVE IT AND OTHER SIGNIFICANT THEATERES SUCH AS THE LOS ANGELES AND THE ORPHEUM THEATERS..IT WAS ALMOST DEMOLISHED 

images.jpg

images-1.jpg

download.jpg

Hi;

It is a lot easier for my arthritic hands to keep the caps. No harm intended. By the way,  Los Angeles has the greatest number of historic movie theaters that still stand.  There are wonderful books on the subject. When I was younger, I was involved in Historic Preservation. Now, that I am older, I live in the Antelope Valley, which is a lot quieter.  .the Wiltern Theatre almost became a parking lot.  A lot of brave people saved it.  WE lost the terrific Black and Gold Tera Cotta Richfield Building in the early 70s.it was quite an Art DEco gem.  It was such a loss. Our buildings were up to 13 stories then due to the fear of EarthQuake damage.

Thank you.

ArpiRose

2 hours ago, arpirose said:

Hi;

It is a lot easier for my arthritic hands to keep the caps. No harm intended. By the way,  Los Angeles has the greatest number of historic movie theaters that still stand.  There are wonderful books on the subject. When I was younger, I was involved in Historic Preservation. Now, that I am older, I live in the Antelope Valley, which is a lot quieter.  .the Wiltern Theatre almost became a parking lot.  A lot of brave people saved it.  WE lost the terrific Black and Gold Tera Cotta Richfield Building in the early 70s.it was quite an Art DEco gem.  It was such a loss. Our buildings were up to 13 stories then due to the fear of EarthQuake damage.

Thank you.

ArpiRose

The senseless and egregiously short-sighted demolition of the Richfield Tower has to rank among the greatest architectural losses in US history. Unfortunately, I was not alive when the building was standing, but, as a native Angeleno, it is impossible not to have come across it in books and pictures at some point. It even steals some of the show from Rod Taylor as his office backdrop in Antonioni's "Zabriskie Point." I know its ornate elevator doors are on display between the Twin Towers that replaced the original structure, which serves as a painful reminder of how much Los Angeles destroyed itself with poor post-WWII urban renewal trends and development. Although it is exciting to see Downtown making a comeback, I wish we still had old Bunker Hill and fewer highways bisecting the city. 

Hi;

Thank you.

ArpiRose

Thank you;

You presented an eloquent reply to my post.  Los Angeles is a troubled city. It still doesn't respect its past. i hope the Downtown Renaissance help save these buildings.

The movie theaters are so terrific. IT IS WORTH A LOOK.  One more thing. If people go to see the "LAST REMAINING SEATS PROGRAMS, they will be taken to the off limits areas in the theaters.  You will see the projection room, The Ballroom, the nursery for tots , secret spaces that were used for VIPs.  At the LOs Angeles, there are marble encased restrooms for the ladies at still stand.  They are still there.

22 hours ago, VanNorden05 said:

The senseless and egregiously short-sighted demolition of the Richfield Tower has to rank among the greatest architectural losses in US history. Unfortunately, I was not alive when the building was standing, but, as a native Angeleno, it is impossible not to have come across it in books and pictures at some point. It even steals some of the show from Rod Taylor as his office backdrop in Antonioni's "Zabriskie Point." I know its ornate elevator doors are on display between the Twin Towers that replaced the original structure, which serves as a painful reminder of how much Los Angeles destroyed itself with poor post-WWII urban renewal trends and development. Although it is exciting to see Downtown making a comeback, I wish we still had old Bunker Hill and fewer highways bisecting the city. 

socal liberals doan respect nothing except assorted homeless graffiti artists, vagrants and their discarded hypos.

:lol:

Yes, Los Angeles is very lucky that many of its downtown theaters are still standing (though not all in use as theaters) Many have been beautifully restored. I dont know if it's luck or just the fact the downtown core is not a prime real estate area. If you look at NY or Chicago, their movie palaces are long gone...........