Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeCzernak

"Third Finger, Left Hand" goes out of sync in Xfinity On Demand

"Third Finger, Left Hand" is now on demand.  Our provider is Xfinity.  At exactly 4:25, the film sputters and then goes about 4 seconds out of sync.  This happens in SD and HD.  This happens fairly regularly with TCM on demand.  What I want to know is this: Is there a way to get this fixed?  Is there a way to report when this happens?  Does TCM want to know when it happens?  I'm happy to report it when it does, if anyone is going to listen.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MikeCzernak said:

"Third Finger, Left Hand" is now on demand.  Our provider is Xfinity.  At exactly 4:25, the film sputters and then goes about 4 seconds out of sync.  This happens in SD and HD.  This happens fairly regularly with TCM on demand.  What I want to know is this: Is there a way to get this fixed?  Is there a way to report when this happens?  Does TCM want to know when it happens?  I'm happy to report it when it does, if anyone is going to listen.

Thanks.

Thanks Mike for posting this.
I just Loaded & Played "Third Finger, Left Hand" on my PC, allowed it to play the first 15 plus minutes with NO problems observed at my end.
My TV & ISP provider is COX.
Based on this single discrepancy leads me to think that your problem (in this case) is NOT due to TCM, but perhaps either your ISP or TV provider.
Of course there can be numerous other reasons for such issues to occur. i.e. I had several intermittent problems a few years ago, and though my hardware was sound, a bad (30 plus year old, frayed through the insulation) pole line was finally discovered to be the root.
Agree though, many reoccurring problems originating with TCM, so always good to post about it so that some of us here can cross-check.

Hi Stephen -

Thanks for the reply.  Since posting, I realized two things.  First, although the forum is for TCM.com, this is actually a TCM On Demand problem.  I don't think there's a forum for On Demand.  In other words, this is through the Xfinity On Demand feature, directly on my TV.  I don't go through a laptop or tablet.  And I think this is a TCM problem.  I have never seen this skipping or out-of-sync problem on anything else I've watched on demand.

Second, I did try the TCM app on my tablet.  Here there's no skipping, and everything is in sync.  I'll try casting from the tablet to the TV to watch the movie.  It's a little more awkward than watching on cable, but I really want to see this movie.  So this is what you did, when you watched on your laptop.  We've shown that this works.

Thanks for your reply. It narrows down the issue.

Michael

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeCzernak said:

Hi Stephen -

Thanks for the reply.  Since posting, I realized two things.  First, although the forum is for TCM.com, this is actually a TCM On Demand problem.  I don't think there's a forum for On Demand.  In other words, this is through the Xfinity On Demand feature, directly on my TV.  I don't go through a laptop or tablet.  And I think this is a TCM problem.  I have never seen this skipping or out-of-sync problem on anything else I've watched on demand.

Second, I did try the TCM app on my tablet.  Here there's no skipping, and everything is in sync.  I'll try casting from the tablet to the TV to watch the movie.  It's a little more awkward than watching on cable, but I really want to see this movie.  So this is what you did, when you watched on your laptop.  We've shown that this works.

Thanks for your reply. It narrows down the issue.

Michael

Thanks for the clarification Mike
My TV provider (COX) has some ON-DEMAND features as well. Some require a higher tier subscription level to access, and others require specifically signing up through my COX account to make available. I only use (and very seldom at that) the Free ones that require no additional effort to access.
But because I've found TCM to be so problematic (esp. in regards to their WATCH TCM streaming features) I have not desired to compound any issue and make my trouble-shooting even more difficult, as I have found COX's technical staff to be lacking, and access to anyone (save maybe a Moderator) at TCM is non-existent.
So when on the road I use my PC for streaming and viewing a lot. At home I use an HDMI cable to watch TCM on my bigger (32" TV screen) through my PC (via Ethernet from my modem) but I refuse to enable any of the Smart Wi-fi spyware features on the TV or PC unless I am testing something specifically. 
I know I'm an "oddball" and very much in the minority these days. Don't have a Facebook account either.
Too bad I (we) can't totally cut the Credit Reporting scam agencies out of my (our) life as well (damn Equifax).

Anyway, glad that you have a work-around. Though (based on what you have shared) it now appears to be a problem between your TV provider and TCM, rather than between you and TCM directly.

BTW, thank you.
I have now watched enough of  "Third Finger, Left Hand" to find it thoroughly entertaining, and one that I want to see completely. Very funny Douglas & Loy screwball style comedy that I don't recall ever seeing before! :)