Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Brigadoon'" Blooms Again on Broadway

CelluloidKid

April 7, 2008

"Brigadoon," the Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe musical about a Scottish village that reawakens once every 100 years, will bloom again on Broadway.

The revival will open in spring 2009 after a Boston tryout, Ostar Productions and producer Liza Lerner said Monday. Dates and theaters for New York and Boston as well as the cast are to be announced.

Lerner's book will be revised by playwright John Guare, author of "Six Degrees of Separation" and "The House of Blue Leaves." The musical, last revived on Broadway in 1980, will be directed and choreographed by Rob Ashford, who won a Tony for his dances in "Thoroughly Modern Millie."

"Brigadoon," which has music by Loewe and lyrics by Lerner, was first seen on Broadway in 1947 and ran for nearly 600 performances. A 1954 film version starred Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse and Van Johnson.

Thanks,

MSN News

Ooohh!! I loved that movie!! Such a beautiful film... and I can't help remembering another something beautiful (cough) Gene (cough) ;)

I loved all the dance sequences in that quaint little town. I've always wanted to live somewhere cute like that. I liked Van in this too! The only thing I wasn't so crazy about was Cyd. It just didn't seem like her heart was in the role. I don't think she was giving it all she could. It's not just me, right? Did anyone else notice? Over all though, it was great!

The concept of Brigadoon is somewhat dodgey. The town of Brigadoon exist only for one day every 100 years. Doing the math one year in that town would get you to the year 36,500, probally in time for another Ice Age or another huge global event. After ten years, (maybe longer) the sun will expand and all life on earth will be destroyed. I know it's only a musical and I'm sounding like a sci fi geek,(or Al Gore) but the idea does not hold water.

YAY!! Thanks for this info. I hope it makes it's way to our town. This musical holds

a special place in my heart. I was in a high school production of "Brigadoon" in my

Senior year. We had a large class and we were able to pull off a grand scale

production. We had so much fun and had sold out audiences. (Thanks Moms &

Dads & relatives :)

Message was edited by: Bargar

I loved all the dance sequences in that quaint little town. I've always wanted to live somewhere cute like that. I liked Van in this too! The only thing I wasn't so crazy about was Cyd. It just didn't seem like her heart was in the role. I don't think she was giving it all she could. It's not just me, right? Did anyone else notice? Over all though, it was great!

thank you genekgirl!! cyd's heart wasnt in this role. she could have put a little more thought in to it, but the movie in general i love! i just dont like cyd charise in more of her films. to me, she wasnt that great of an actor. she was pretty and could dance though.....i do like her in The Harvey Girls.

The concept of Brigadoon is somewhat dodgey. The town of Brigadoon exist only for one day every 100 years. Doing the math one year in that town would get you to the year 36,500, probally in time for another Ice Age or another huge global event. After ten years, (maybe longer) the sun will expand and all life on earth will be destroyed. I know it's only a musical and I'm sounding like a sci fi geek,(or Al Gore) but the idea does not hold water.

It's a little-known fact that, by the year 802,901, the good citizens of Brigadoon had evolved into the bifurcated societies of Eloi and Morlocks discovered by Rod Taylor in THE TIME MACHINE.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings