Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Horror in silent films

nosound

To all the fans of horror/murder mystery in silent films, I would highly recommend this book. "Horror in silent films" by Roy Kinnard is a filmography spanning some 1100+ films from 1896 to 1929. It has a real wealth of information including film lengths, production company's, directors, casts and special notes.

Message was edited by: nosound

The main problem with most silent American "Horror" films, if that's the correct term, is their dogged repitition.

Almost to a film, they are about a supposedly haunted house, filled with ghosts and monstrosities that are actually humbugs created by cunning bad guys, exacting some sort of revenge on the lead characters.

factotum,

I tend to agree with you about the term"Horror". Although many silent films contained terrifying scenes or horrific elements, they were presented as special art or melodrama's like nosferatu, the hunchback, phantom, etc. I would say the first "true" horror, as we refer to it, may have been 1931's Dracula or Frankenstein.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings