Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Notes made while watching ?Juggernaut?:

So, uhh, there are 7 bombs on board the ship, and the captain tells the passengers, but everyone carries on as if nothing is going on? Kids wander around without their parents? No one puts on life vests? No other ships come to the rescue or stand by with rescue boats?

What are we as an audience supposed to do? Be afraid? Laugh? Play our DVD of King Kong (1933) or any of the Titanic films so we can see a real adventure movie?

How did the guy get 7 bombs planted on the ship?

If the bolts on the ship parts that contain the bombs are rusted and hard to get off, then how did the guy who planted the bombs get them off?

I?ve been watching this film for an hour and a half, and nothing has happened yet except three small explosions. I guess I have four more to go.

Opps! There goes another bomb. The ship rocks a bit. A few ladies scream a little.

Three to go.

Wow, a drunken bomb disposal guy just threw a whiskey bottle at the captain! The tension is so incredible I don?t think I can stand it!

Yaaaawwwwnnnnnn....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh, dang! What was that!? An alarm bell!!! Akk. Now everyone?s putting on life vests and getting into life boats, after four bombs have already gone off, 1 hour and 45 minutes into the film!

Some guy tries to console a lady by saying, ?There aren?t any icebergs?.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha... and she says, ?Correction,? as she looks at her boyfriend, the captain! Lol! Ha, ha, ha, ha... Now I know for sure.... it?s a Comedy!!!

Oh no! The bomb disposal guy HAS TO CUT THE BLUE WIRE!!!!

NO, NO, DON?T CUT THE BLUE WIRE!!!!

YAY!!!! HE CHANGED HIS MIND AND CUT THE RED WIRE INSTEAD!!! I KNEW IT!!! I KNEW IT!!!!

Everyone's taking off their life vests and getting out of the lifeboats.

OMG, I don't think I could stand another tense movie like this!!!

I don?t believe the Juggernaut movie. They didn?t even show any of the passengers being thrown around each time a bomb went off. There were no portions of the ship that were flooded. There was no spurting water and no sparking circuit boards. There were no children crying, and only one brief scene of women screaming, which was mostly on the sound track and not shown visually. The four explosions were little biddy ones. Something like what a couple of us could rig up with some fireworks.

It didn?t make any sense to have the old bolts of the metal plates rusty and frozen in place, since the bomb maker had already opened the little hatches recently to place the bombs. And how did he gain access to those different areas of the ship to place 7 bombs?

No airplanes in the air, no other ships on the ocean, nobody sweating or wringing their hands back home in England. Nobody crying. No listing ship. No ship taking on water.

This ranks as the most stupid film I?ve ever seen.

How could anyone raise money to make a turkey like this?

Hey, how about this ?Major Dundee??? A real thriller huh? Such excitement, such action. Wow. Yaaawwwnnnn zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Dang! What was that?? Some gunshots. A battle filmed at night! LOL. Too bad we couldn't see it.

This ?Dundee? film is the most boring Western I?ve ever seen.

I don?t blame TCM for these two films. They?ve shown enough good films in the last few weeks to make up for these two turkeys.

OMG, Fred. Even worse than Alvarez Kelly? I'm wondering if you're staying up for Hawaii, since I've seen that and remember its reputation. And let's not forget The Cassandra Crossing is coming up one day soon. (I haven't seen it and should offer no prejudgment, I'm sure).

*What are we as an audience supposed to do? Be afraid? Laugh? Play our DVD of King Kong (1933) or any of the Titanic films so we can see a real adventure movie?*

I'd recommend your fourth option. Which reminds me. *A Night to Remember* (1958) is on *Thursday, April 10th, at 6:30 EDT.* That's 3:30 in the morning for me again, so I suppose I could make it a night to remember. *any of the Titanic films* ? Does this mean you liked the 1997 Oscar winner? Personally speaking, I'd like to see the 1953 version with Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck again.

I'm still trying to find out if anybody else saw *I'm King Kong:The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper* (2005) when it was on. Great documentary and I don't think you would have needed to turn the sound down once. Incredible guy.

Just checked and *The Cassandra Crossing* (1976) is on at 12:00 am on the 10th. This could work out. If it's really exciting it could help me stay awake. If it's really boring, well, I need a nap before *A Night to Remember* comes on, and it might put me to sleep. Mmmm...Sophia. I can dream.

Hi Tobitz,

*Which reminds me. A Night to Remember (1958) is on Thursday, April 10th, at 6:30 EDT.*

I used to be a big Titanic buff. Did a lot of research on it. Did you read the book of the same name? It's quite a page turner. The film follows it very closely.

Hi Fred,

Enjoyed your commentary on *Juggernaut* far more than the actual movie.

Hello molo,

I'm afraid that if I read Walter Lord's *A Night to Remember* it was so many years ago that I can't say with certainty. I thought I had a copy currently on my bookshelf but it turned out to be Lord's Pearl Harbor book, *Day of Infamy.*

I've been going through books from my younger days that I still have, at least for the time being, so I may come across a copy.

No, no, this is an independently-produced 1974 British thriller with Richard Harris as a bomb-disposal expert brought in to defuse a set of large bombs planted aboard an ocean liner at sea.

I hadn't seen it since it was first released, and while it has its flaws, compared to modern junk like SPEED 2, it's a work of genius.

I [enjoyed|http://justacineast.blogspot.com/2008/04/70s-style.html] *Juggernaut*, even if it wasn't all that good. It's one of many in the genre of "sit back with a bowl of popcorn, don't think too hard, and enjoy".

Roy Kinnear's poor unlucky cruise director is a hoot, especially when he says that tonight is going to be "a night to remember". Lauren Tewes he ain't.

TCM aired the original version of the movie, titled [*Terror on a Train*|http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0046432/], last night. ;-)

Hey Fred.....tell us what you really think.....!!!! LOL.........not a great film, had it on in the background while I was reading Old Car Weekly...............I saw this when I was little, I liked it then, but what did I know.......LOL

The film is missing a lot of important scenes. If there are 7 bombs on the ship and three have gone off already, seems to me that the Captain would have called for aid, and all sorts of other ships would rush to their aid and stand by just a couple of hundred yards away. Seems like rescue helicopters and airplanes would be flying around the ship. Seems like they would cancel the costume ball and the passengers wouldn?t bother dressing up in costumes and going to a big dance, since the ship was in danger of being blown up and sinking. Seems like everyone should have been walking around in life vests after the first bomb went off.

When each bomb went off, seems like the whole ship should rock a little and there should be scenes of people falling down, ladies screaming, and kids crying, just to let the audience actually be afraid of some kind of danger. Seems like there should be some scenes of the ship?s clinic and injured crew members and passengers being treated. There should have been some scenes of the ship leaking and taking on water and actually being in danger of sinking.

There should have been some comments about how did the guy manage to plant 7 complicated bombs and timers on board the ship without being seen. Just one line of dialogue would have helped, such as, ?He must have done it when our ship was being repaired at Liverpool. He must have been disguised as a member of the repair crew.?

Since the bomb maker had to remove all the bolts of the metal plates to plant the bombs behind the plates, then the bolts of the plates would not have been rusty and frozen up when the bomb disposal guy went to remove the bolts. But what they showed on film was bolts that had not been removed in 20 years or more.

What the NEW TCM is doing now, working under new management, is renting awful and modern films that weren't any good in the first place, that bombed at the box office 20 and 30 years ago, and they are showing them to us, while we are old and classic movie fans who have been paying for TCM so we could see old and classic movies. That doesn't make much sense to me, especially when I see my satellite bill going up every month, and I have to pay to see films on TCM.

Well, I've not seen Juggernaut yet, so I recorded it. Sounds like it's not so great...but I'll likely watch it anyway, if for no other reason than to drool over Omar Sharif. Always an activity worth my time. :D

As for Major Dundee...well, we gotta cut 'em some slack. It's a Charlton Heston film...so I'm okay with it, even if it is terrible. At least this week.

Hi, Fred, I'm here on your original JUGGERNAUT thread.

I couldn't figure out why Omar Sharif was in this -- did they offer him his own bridge tournament or something in lieu of salary? And what a waste of Shirley Knight. I can't think of anyone else LESS like the mistress of Omar Sharif.

This certainly had its flaws, but I liked its "Britishness".

I did get seasick however.

The film crew rented the Russian cruise ship Maxim Gorki for a couple of weeks of filming the boring movie. But look at what happened to the ship in the years afterwards:

?Maxim Gorki has managed to gain a bit of fame over the years, through events in which she has been involved. She was the ship threatened by the mad terrorist bomber in the early 1970?s film, ?Juggernaut.?, sailing under her film identity, ?Britannic?. Ironically, 1975 saw her hitting the world stage after a bomb exploded while cruising off of San Juan. In 1989, Maxim Gorki drew world headlines after she rammed arctic ice near Norway, coming perilously close to sinking. Later that same year, she became the site of a major summit meeting between President George Bush and Premier Mikhail Gorbachev.?

http://members.tripod.com/PARNAMI/MaximGorki.html

All this other real stuff was much more exciting than the movie. Seems that the ship actually did hit an iceberg and almost sank in 1989!

?A Norwegian rescue ship broke through Arctic ice floes several feet thick today to rescue nearly 1,000 people from a Soviet cruise vessel that had struck an iceberg.?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE7DA113EF932A15755C0A96F948260

?The Soviet liner, Maxim Gorky, ran into the iceberg in the Greenland Sea north of Norway shortly after midnight, ripping two large holes in the side of the 630-foot vessel.

The liner was listing sharply when the rescue vessel, Senja, arrived at 4:15 A.M., said Finn Hansen, a Norwegian coast guard spokesman.?

"Suddenly there was a terrible crash that almost shook me from my bed,'' Rudolf Ludwig, a 67-year-old passenger from Wiesbaden, West Germany, was quoted as saying by The Associated Press."

"We were told to get into the lifeboats,'' Mr. Ludwig said. ''We sat for five hours among the icebergs. The atmosphere was calm, and the Russian sailors did everything they could. They gave us vodka and whisky in the boats, since it was cold. And blankets, too.'' Liner Still Afloat

The Maxim Gorky was still afloat in late evening as rescue crews steadily pumped water from her hold and tried to tow her gradually to shore."

Here is a Juggernaut trivia tidbit you might like to know, it has nothing to do with the movie.

There is a 30 min documentary called Juggernaut, it is about India shipping their first nuclear reactor by truck over the mountains to get it to the power plant site in the 1960's. Whats amazing is that it weighs around 400 - 500 tons! The film has so color faded, it is now in brown and white.

At the time I first saw it, I never heard of the movie Juggernaut.

One problem with Juggernaut was that they rented a new cruise ship for the movie, but they couldn't damage it in any way, and they couldn't sink it.

But for Robert Stack's 1960 film, "The Last Voyage", they rented an older cruise ship that was going to be scrapped, and they were able to blow it up and sink it. This was a very exciting movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054016/#comment

Here is a Juggernaut trivia tidbit you might like to know, it has nothing to do with the movie.

There is a 30 min documentary called Juggernaut, it is about India shipping their first nuclear reactor by truck over the mountains to get it to the power plant site in the 1960's. Whats amazing is that it weighs around 400 - 500 tons! The film has so color faded, it is now in brown and white.

That makes sense, since the "juggernaut" is a corruption of the Hindi Jagannāth, literally, "lord of the world," title of the god Vishnu, which found its way into the English language during the days of the British Raj ruling India.

Of course the documentary's "plot," such as it is, is reminiscent of Henri Georges Cluzot's classic suspense film THE WAGES OF FEAR.

I thought I'd throw in my two bits on Omar Sharif, Bronxgirl.

After the huge successes of *Dr. Zhivago* (1965) and *Funny Girl* (1968), his career took quite a downturn. When I first saw your post, my thought was "a string of failures." Looking over his filmography this morning,

http://imdb.com/name/nm0001725/

I'm struck that most of these were interesting failures, as was *Juggernaut.* They included *The Horsemen* (1971) and *The Last Valley* (1970). *The Horsemen* was directed by John Frankenheimer, but his career had really taken a dip by then too. *The Last Valley* was directed by James Clavell, a very successful novelist (Tai-Pan, Shogun) and I always felt an underrated director. I believe TCM may have shown *Mayerling* (1968) last year, and while other Mayerlings were probably better, between him and Catherine Deneuve, I'd really like to see it.

The simplest answer: most likely he wasn't being offered good scripts. But hey? Who was then?

This was hardly the Golden Age of Hollywood. Keep in mind that following *Lawrence of Arabia* and *Dr. Zhivago,* David Lean only made two more movies, *Ryan's Daughter* (1970) and *A Passage to India* (1984).

After Zhivago, I'd watch Sharif in anything (though I missed Juggernaut this time). I'd heartily recommend the 71-yr. old Sharif in the 2003 *Monsieur Ibrahim.* (I'd use the original French title *Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran,* but it sounds too darn high falutin')