Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my article on Louise Brooks: the American Garbo

Guest dredagain

Bravo, Edward! What a brilliant article! You managed to synopsize in just a few words the magic of Louise Brooks. She is indeed worthy of a fresh look but, as you mentioned in your article, her movies are almost nonexistent--except for her classics, PANDORA'S BOX and DIARY OF A LOST GIRL (my favorite). What a shame that her Hollywood flapper flix are lost. No one could wear clothes like Brooks, and I'd love to see her in Roaring Twenties gowns. Although I've always loved her, I've also wanted to slap her good for her self-destructive personae. You really can't feel sorry for her when she repeatedly cut her own throat in Hollywood--especially when she refused to dub in her lines in THE CANARY MURDER CASE.

Congratulations again for your very timely article on the divine Miss Brooks!

The Princess

hey thanks.... Brooks is an endlessly fascinating character. The images of her in PANDORA'S BOX are among the sexiest ever caught on film. She was a stunning woman, probably very talented, but like Frances Farmer or Marilyn Monroe, totally unable to cope with her own creative energies and the Hollywood system.... of course Brooks was never able to cope with any sort of discipline.

At least we have a smattering of Brooks' silent film, even if several are presumed lost.

I'll have to re-watch BEGGARS OF LIFE. I thought she was terrific in that one.

Yeah, she sure is. When I said I'll have to investigate "Pandora" again, I should have mentioned that the DVD is extensive. I watched about half of it. The whole film and some interviews. The interviews are fascinating, like a time machine authored by a defiant "misfit". BTW, no malice intended there. To me, thats a big plus. I think you nailed it in your thesis.

Thanx again. Good work.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings